• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

kafiend

Does anyone know if valve will do sales for in game dota item (really want that bastion announcer pack).
I know you guys can't(?) predict the future, I just want to know if they've done this in the past or with tf2 items

There's Sale items in TF2 - in the game store. No idea about DOTA

Zia

Now that (I think) I know how the ModBot thing works, it's pretty neat. Good work. I never liked that 80% of my keys were claimed by mystery folk.

Hey Mavromatis. I'm checking the logs and ModBot generated a giveaway for you but didn't add any keys to it. I'm guessing this means you sent a key in a non-standard format or something else about it caused the bot to get confused. I'd like to test to replicate it . Can you please forward the PM you sent to ModBot to me?

How to forward a PM:
DzDaq0H.png

Make sure you forward it to me, Stumpokapow, not ModBot.

Thanks.
Forwarded it.

My favorite part of the seasonal sales are the 30-45 minutes leading up to the sale launching, when every Steam listing is slowly updated, and everyone posts the discounts as they're discovered. It's always so exciting.

And the cheap games I guess. Those are also my favorite part.

So, how far we are from a new Steam thread? Just wondering.

Also, seems now it's time to post the stuff we wish will hit a certain discount threshold. I'm hoping if MK will be part of the sale. Even at 33% I might budge...

So 10 days after getting involved with Steam and PC gaming, my thoughts:

Pros:
- Competition results in amazing prices and sales
- A wide range of unique, inventive indie games and experience that would be too risky to do attempt on consoles
- KB/M allows for tons of controls schemes and gameplay possibilities that aren't possible with a controller (I.e. reloading in Receiver, Surgeon Simulator, RTS controls)
- So awesome to be able being my games anywhere

Cons:
- My only real con and the reason why I didn't get involved with PC gaming earlier is the specs. What I love about consoles is the convienence. I don't have to worry about my CPU, my GPU, my Ram, being new parts, etc. Just put the disk in and play. But that's just me and once I got a better computer, that won't be an issue anymore

But I also want thank this community. Answered a lot of questions about Steam and PC gaming in general. I had a lot of horror stories about NeoGaf before, but now that I'm a part of the GAF community, it's by the best forum I've ever been a part of. Personable, friendly, able to have actual discussion and conversations, generous.

So thanks

smr00

Banned
My favorite part of the seasonal sales are the 30-45 minutes leading up to the sale launching, when every Steam listing is slowly updated, and everyone posts the discounts as they're discovered. It's always so exciting.

And the cheap games I guess. Those are also my favorite part.
This will be my first real steam sale.

I was around i think the xmas one a couple years back but i don't believe i bought anything. I have had a crummy laptop for the past 5 years. I am super fucking excited for everything. I can't wait to drink 40 cups a coffee a day just sitting here getting all the deals.

Ok thanks. Was just wondering because they want to know where I live and my phone number.
Really? I think those are optional because i gave neither. I don't understand the language but was able to figure out where the important boxes were (email, password, user, birthday etc)

Grief.exe

Also, seems now it's time to post the stuff we wish will hit a certain discount threshold. I'm hoping if MK will be part of the sale. Even at 33% I might budge...

About 5500 posts away from a new thread. We won't get there though, this thread will be locked during the Summer Sale.

MK already had a similar discount at GMG before launch.

nexen

We are now two posts closer.

I want MK, BSI, and a really cheap Fez.

My wishlist for Summer Sale:
  • La-Mulana
  • Rogue Legacy
  • Unepic
  • Psychonauts
  • D&D: Chronicle of Mystara
I'm planning to not spend a lot but you never know. :p

I hope I'm doing this properly.
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key.To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--five or fewer posts in the Steam thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last week, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Just Cause 2 -- MB-550B48772887F38B - Taken by AHA-Lambda

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It's no problem to giveaway multiple copies of the same game in a giveaway as long as you put them on separate lines. ModBot will automatically assign them a separate number in the post it gives you back.

So for example if you PM ModBot:
Skyrim - ABCD-EFGH-IJKL
Skyrim - 1234-5678-9012

You will get back:
Skyrim #1 - MB-DEADBEEF or whatever the security key is
Skyrim #2 - MB-BADCOFFEE or whatever the security key is.

Dare I ask what you were thinking when you chose that title?

I didn't choose it, Dragona did years ago--although I think she may have asked me what my preference was. And it's a lyric from my favourite Queen song, The Prophet's Song off A Night at the Opera. I like it as a tag, it works on many levels.

It's no problem to giveaway multiple copies of the same game in a giveaway as long as you put them on separate lines. ModBot will automatically assign them a separate number in the post it gives you back.

So for example if you PM ModBot:
Skyrim - ABCD-EFGH-IJKL
Skyrim - 1234-5678-9012

You will get back:
Skyrim #1 - MB-DEADBEEF or whatever the security key is
Skyrim #2 - MB-BADCOFFEE or whatever the security key is.

For a moment I thought you were giving away Skyrim.

Thanks for the Skyrim.
I won, thanks so much Mavromatis :D
Enjoy.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Does anyone know if valve will do sales for in game dota item (really want that bastion announcer pack).
I know you guys can't(?) predict the future, I just want to know if they've done this in the past or with tf2 items

What they have done, and what other F2P games have done, is create special time-limited bundles with particularly (generally new for the sale event) items. So you'd get 3 items worth $15 for $10 instead, of course the market would flood and the items would end up being worth $10 or less after the fact.

DunderHassan is selling MK9 for $17.50. Get on that!

Gonna ponder this carefully but I'm still not sure. Unlike last year, the devaluation of our currency really is pounding me and I will really need to exercise self control. It's a case of "WANT!" only to find out they have raised even more costs and taxes at the end of the month, making even a $20 a risky affair. Ugh. Plus the desktop won't pay itself and it would be kind of hilarious/sad to buy all those games but to have no desktop to play them with! (Well, with my laptop I can probably play half my game library but this is a work laptop so it's not really meant for games, it handles 3D very poorly with its crap Intel HD.)

Anyway, the anticipation is going to be killer for me. I'm glad I actually have to work because that will keep me entertained in the meantime, heh.

And I'm still recovering from the GMG sale... (Got They Bleed Pixels, RE:ORC because it is region locked on Steam and Lost Planet 1).

Can't wait for the gifs and image edits related to the sale.

I wan't the Void cards, the illustrations would be amazing and it would get more people to buy/play one of the most unique and affecting games in existence.

Ice-Pick Lodge had some summer sale mini-games so they've worked with steam before on such things.

Speaking of IPL, Knock-Knock needs to come out soon. They've hinted at a Pathologic remake after its release.

MoonGred

What they have done, and what other F2P games have done, is create special time-limited bundles with particularly (generally new for the sale event) items. So you'd get 3 items worth $15 for $10 instead, of course the market would flood and the items would end up being worth $10 or less after the fact.

I never looked at it from that angle, but I could definitely see how it would destroy a market to some degree.
I'll just get it full price, its only 10$ anyway.
Thanks guys

What's the cheapest that the entire Counter Strike series has been? I was thinking of grabbing HL Complete today and then CS Complete during sales if it happens.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
All I want is I Am Alive for $7.50 or less. I'll end up buying other random games, no doubt. But that's the only item on my wishlist right now.

Grief.exe

What's the cheapest that the entire Counter Strike series has been? I was thinking of grabbing HL Complete today and then CS Complete during sales if it happens.

I would suggest just picking up one Counter-Strike and focus on mastering that iteration.

Seems redundant to pick up all three.

Vecks

So, do I sell my ARES cards at .40 now or do I wait for tomorrow's drop or the sale?
I think it's better to sell cards now. Once the steam sale hits, everything or mostly everything will be discounted and card prices will drop when people buy those games with cards. And if there's a daily deal, forget it, the prices will drop like crazy due to people wanting to buy the game for cards, and getting that instant money to use on more sales.

Hellix

I think it's better to sell cards now. Once the steam sale hits, everything or mostly everything will be discounted and card prices will drop when people buy those games with cards. And if there's a daily deal, forget it, the prices will drop like crazy due to people wanting to buy the game for cards, and getting that instant money to use on more sales.

And the servers will probably be too hammered to do anything.

I would suggest just picking up one Counter-Strike and focus on mastering that iteration.

Seems redundant to pick up all three.

I just want all 3 because my friends and I are going to be playing them, I don't plan on getting decimated by pros lol.

I've played 1.6 and Source already, I just don't own them is also why I'm interested.

Question about Half Life 2. Is it necessary to have played the first one? Is it a direct continuation. I'm finally playing it and it feels like I'm skipped the first half of a book. Unless it supposed to be like that, which is just as awesome.

Valve did an awesome job of setting up the world and tone in those first five-ten minutes. The opening isn't as bombastic as God of War or as artistic as Bioshock, but the voice overs as you walk through the station and the level design just provide a definite sense of place and history. And those speeches are chilling, very well written, and so intriguing. I love bleak apocalyptic fiction so I'm going to love seeing this world

Turfster

Question about Half Life 2. Is it necessary to have played the first one? Is it a direct continuation. I'm finally playing it and it feels like I'm skipped the first half of a book. Unless it supposed to be like that, which is just as awesome.

It's not a direct continuation, as such.
It reuses elements from the first, but apart from the obvious ones, they're not really all that relevant. Remember the first words ;)

Sothpaw

Valve did an awesome job of setting up the world and tone in those first five-ten minutes. The opening isn't as bombastic as God of War or as artistic as Bioshock, but the voice overs as you walk through the station and the level design just provide a definite sense of place and history. And those speeches are chilling, very well written, and so intriguing. I love bleak apocalyptic fiction so I'm going to love seeing this world

Play HL1. It's an amazing game and there is absolutely no reason why you wouldn't play it. And yes 2 is a direct continuation.

Ugh, are you playing for the first time ever!? I want that experience again. Let me live through your eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom