• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What's the context of this gif? Gaben just seems so annoyed with whoever accosted him

It was just a regular interview at E3 2012 (can't find it on YouTube, but it was by one of the folks from DBTV.no), although the interviewer did ask about Half-Life.

Dawg

To the junior who took the XCOM key for his friend but ended up giving away 400 Days key(s):

nod-of-approvalg8sfa.gif

Weekly PSA to never buy a Headset for your PC audio needs.

If you are thinking about getting one, PM me, or post here, and I will convince you into the best audio gear for your price range and tastes.

What would you recommend? At the moment I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD555's that I'm pretty happy with, but when I want to use a mic, I need to use my pair of Steelseries Siberia V2's. I don't have anything between my headphones and computer, just plugged straight into my motherboards onboard audio.

metalshade

Cancel!! Cancel!!

I am not being sarcastic or negative in any way, I promise.
Could you explain why?
I comfy couch, dont want so many cables across my floor, don't have space for a mic, and I didn't bother with a soundcard as onboard is good enough for me. I don't listen to music, and only use the mic extremely rarely, but want it for the rare times it is handy.

Grief.exe

What would you recommend? At the moment I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD555's that I'm pretty happy with, but when I want to use a mic, I need to use my pair of Steelseries Siberia V2's. I don't have anything between my headphones and computer, just plugged straight into my motherboards onboard audio.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000O7K4LO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I am not being sarcastic or negative in any way, I promise.
Could you explain why?
I comfy couch, dont want so many cables across my floor, don't have space for a mic, and I didn't bother with a soundcard as onboard is good enough for me. I don't listen to music, and only use the mic extremely rarely, but want it for the rare times it is handy.

Headsets just don't deliver good audio quality for the price.

If you have a convenience issue like that, or you game consistently on console, then a headset might be your best bet.

Sorry to jump into the conversation, but This Zalman clip-on mic works well

And to get the most out of your Sennheisers, a portable DAC/headphone amp like the Fiio E7 would be a better option than onboard audio.

metalshade

If you have a convenience issue like that, or you game consistently on console, then a headset might be your best bet.

Fair enough.
It is for pc gaming (no consoles.) I use my kb/m on a lap tray, and I don't voice chat all that much, usually in-game text chat, so the mic is only for rare use, but the wireless is really the feature I wanted.

Thanks for taking the time man.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000O7K4LO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I bought some I think turtle beach IIRC headset for like 40-50 bucks and it's perfectly fine. Does it beat my dynaudio speakers I use on my PC? No, but were 4 figures. It's almost assuredly better than shitty speakers in that price range. But I guess that's assuming that he doesn't already have nice speakers. If I didn't have speakers and needed something cheapish, I'd easily go for a headset.

Milamber

Can I just use my wireless bluetooth headphones with mic, Philips SHB 6110/10 Bluetooth Stereo Backneck-Headset, that I use for running, on my PC, as headphones and mic? Any drawbacks?

Grief.exe

I bought some I think turtle beach IIRC headset for like 40-50 bucks and it's perfectly fine. Does it beat my dynaudio speakers I use on my PC? No, but were 4 figures. It's almost assuredly better than shitty speakers in that price range. But I guess that's assuming that he doesn't already have nice speakers. If I didn't have speakers and needed something cheapish, I'd easily go for a headset.

There are headphones in that price range that have significantly higher audio quality.

Grief.exe

Can I just use my wireless bluetooth headphones with mic Sein's that I use for running, on my PC, as headphones and mic? Any drawbacks?

You mean you have some IEMs like this?

sennheiser-mm70ip-cover-1.jpg

There are some drawbacks. No sound stage, audio positioning, and lower quality for sure.

Milamber

You mean you have some IEMs like this?

sennheiser-mm70ip-cover-1.jpg

There are some drawbacks. No sound stage, audio positioning, and lower quality for sure.

Yep, got a "Philips SHB 6110/10 Bluetooth Stereo Backneck-Headset" too that is a bit unweildly when running. Hopefully that may be better?

Grief.exe

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
If you got them for $4 then can't say no to that.

Yeah I can't complain. They're surprisingly good but I don't think I'd pay almost $50 for them.

hlhbk

Does anyone know if they fixed the driver issues with the Nvidia drivers a few weeks back? I recall people getting blue screens and such after installing them? I just wanna be sure its safe to install them now?

Shadowplay1979

Gold Member
Does anyone know if they fixed the driver issues with the Nvidia drivers a few weeks back? I recall people getting blue screens and such after installing them? I just wanna be sure its safe to install them now?

My friend installed the new driver yesterday and was having issues, i'm still holding off.

Kevin

With Apogee releasing classic games onto Steam, who here would love to see an Apogee Adventure pack with the games:

Monster Bash
Cosmo's Comic Adventure
Hocus Pocus
Crystal Caverns

I sent them an email (info@apogeesoftware.com). Expressing my interest in a bundle like this. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom