• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm doing the thing where the steam sale isn't set to launch for another day or so, but I keep looking at it, and refreshing this thread, hoping to somehow have it happen NAO.

Yep.. Time for BED.

Koeta

My setup:
3zijm.gif

that gif is awesome lol

BorntoPlay

oh finally we have a date to steam summer?? Really waiting to buy bioshock 2/ infinity , batman arkham dual pack, the cave, etc.... but some of this game are restricted in my country...why is that???

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
oh finally we have a date to steam summer?? Really waiting to buy bioshock 2/ infinity , batman arkham dual pack, the cave, etc.... but some on this game are blocked on steam for my country...why is that???

GFWL isn't supported in certain regions. You can have somebody gift you the games, though, and create a "fake" GFWL account.

Grief.exe

Bioshock 2 and both Arkham games should be getting GFWL removed very soon.

But what Jase said is correct.

And with that, I'm off to bed.

Knurek

Amalur is rather enjoyable if you're a fan of "lightweight" RPGs. It's essentially what Fable would be if it had overt MMO underpinnings.

Just... don't do all the sidequests. If you absolutely need to do them, wait until you beat the main game plotline.
With a low level run, the game's much more enjoyable, and actually quite challenging.

Grief.exe

oh well, no luck for me... Can i use a VPN??

I would suggest offering to paypal someone during the Steam sale.

VPNs used to purchase from other regions are frowned upon by Valve.

Have fun playing Civ V and/or Rogue Legacy.

Or FFVII

Just... don't do all the sidequests. If you absolutely need to do them, wait until you beat the main game plotline.
With a low level run, the game's much more enjoyable, and actually quite challenging.

I get this same impression. From what I have gathered, if you try to do everything you will just get bogged down and overwhelmed by the tedium.

Focus the main quest down, move along.

Zeknurn

I was away for five days and this thread had moved like 50 pages. You lot need to calm down before you inevitably get disappointed by the summer sale.

The giveaway bot is very cool. It's a far more sleek solution for giving away a large batch keys rather than the "quote" me spam it spawns. It also means there is more space for posting about backlogs and JaseC's avatars.

JaseC

Yeah, I'm a secondary content junkie and did all the sidequests as I was progressing through the story; by the time I'd reached the Gardens of Ysa, the game already felt a little too easy.

I've been meaning to play through the DLC for quite some time now, having completed the main campaign. I might get back on that horse after I'm done with Mark of the Ninja.

Grief.exe

hoping for the GFWL removal =(

Its coming be patient.

Sega Suing THQ for Company of Heroes 2 Preorders

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=69312416

Sega is suing bankrupt publisher THQ for £630,000 over Company of Heroes 2 pre-orders on Steam.

Sega filed a claim with the Delaware US Bankruptcy Court worth $941,710.93, which is the amount Valve paid THQ for pre-orders of the World War 2 real-time strategy game through Steam.

There were 20,755 pre-orders for CoH2 registered through Steam from September 2012 to 24th January 2013. That generated revenue of $1,345,301.29, but, as is standard, Valve takes a 30 per cent cut of Steam sales, leaving publishers and developers with 70 per cent - in this case $941k.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
La Mulana is fucking awesome btw
The jump physics are insufferable. I'll try it out a little more though.

It is, you want an analog signal.

But Bluetooth also degrades the audio quality further http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57445372-47/bluetooth-audio-vs-wires/

Err, a digital signal is preferable (assuming the source is already digital), which is the reason we like hdmi more than component. Bluetooth should sound better than analog, unless the company adds some sort of extra processing.

I mean, does a song downloaded with wireless connection sound worse than the same song downloaded from a computer connected directly to the modem?

catabarez

The jump physics are insufferable. I'll try it out a little more though.

Err, a digital signal is preferable (assuming the source is already digital), which is the reason we like hdmi more than component. Bluetooth should sound better than analog, unless the company adds some sort of extra processing.

I mean, does a song downloaded with wireless connection sound worse than the same song downloaded from a computer connected directly to the modem?

Are we serious about that comparison?

Grief.exe

Summer sale starts tomorrow?
Now the title is plain misleading, or is it inside joke?

We've speculated that it would start on the 11th for a couple weeks now, kept the title the way it is to tone down on the spam.

ibbmMgPdOFk1NI.gif

An analog signal is preferable to digital. That is why we have things like sound cards, DACS, Receivers, etc.

What do you think happens when you pump your audio, through your HDMI, into your expensive receiver? The reason we like HDMI over component is because it has significantly higher bandwidth than component and can carry a larger audio file....to then be converted to analog.

Sound is naturally an analog signal. An analog signal is continuous, meaning that there are no breaks or interruptions. One moment flows into the next. If you were to hum a descending note, people hearing you would be able to detect the change in pitch, but not point to specific moments when the pitch jumped from one note to the next.
Digital signals are not continuous. They use specific values to represent information. In the case of sound, that means representing a sound wave as a series of values that represent pitch and volume over the length of the recording. In a primitive digital recording of that descending note you hummed, you'd hear a single long sound as a collection of shorter sounds.

This makes absolutely no sense.

Unless Acti sees fit to add cards.

I don't understand why aren't we getting cards to more well known games, I guess Valve's agenda is to add cards to the most obscure shittiest games on its catalogue
I'm surprised that had bad rats hasn't gotten any

Grief.exe

I don't understand why aren't we getting cards to more well known games, I guess Valve's agenda is to add cards to the most obscure shittiest games on its catalogue

Its not up to Valve, they can only produce cards for their own games.

They let companies know it was available, but they have to produce the cards themselves.

JaseC

It's not a Valve thing. The developers need to create the cards (complete with high-res art), emoticons and profile backgrounds.

Oh thanks for the heads up!

Is a kind gaffer able to help me out here? I won't be able to get to my paypal data till evening though. Is there a way to transfer money from one steam wallet to another?
How's this for an offer? I get the game and gift it to you. Then during the sale, if there's something on my Wishlist for $6 or less, you get that and gift it to me.

I'm not sure how deals like this are usually done, but I don't have PayPal or anything like this, so this is the only way I can see working out

JaseC

How's this for an offer? I get the game and gift it to you. Then during the sale, if there's something on my Wishlist for $6 or less, you get that and gift it to me.

I'm not sure how deals like this are usually done, but I don't have PayPal or anything like this, so this is the only way I can see working out

This is the very same deal Smash and I agreed upon when we went "halves" in an Anomaly 2 pre-order. It's a fine compromise if you can trust the other person to remember. ;)

This is the very same deal Smash and I agreed upon when we went "halves" in an Anomaly 2 pre-order. It's a fine compromise if you can trust the other person to remember. ;)
Ah, so at least there's precedent. And it all worked out?

I guess I'll PM him. See what he thinks.

Smash88

Banned

$6 WUT HUH? WHO ARE YOU? I DON'T KNOW YOU!

Yes I still remember.

I told him during Summer Sale I'll get him something. But I'm trustworthy.... so yeah....

Technically, he doesn't have to return the favour until the Summer Sale. I'm sure I can find a $10 game at half off I don't yet have.

Was it $10? Damn I forgot, thought it was $6-8 lol. :D

JaseC

Ah, so at least there's precedent. And it'll worked out?

I guess I'll PM him. See what he thinks.

Technically, he doesn't have to return the favour until the Summer Sale. I'm sure I'll be able to find a $10 game at half off I don't yet have.

$6 WUT HUH? WHO ARE YOU? I DON'T KNOW YOU!

Yes I still remember.

The only reason I remember is because I copied/pasted our chat into a text file I regularly open. :p

Caerith

Yeah, I'm a secondary content junkie and did all the sidequests as I was progressing through the story; by the time I'd reached the Gardens of Ysa, the game already felt a little too easy.
I'm a completionist as well. The only games that I think really did secondary quests well are Defender's Quest (sidequests are only in new game+) and Dragon's Quest (VIII and IX at least had whole lines of quests you couldn't even see until you beat the game). Everywhere else, you're showing up to an end boss that was balanced for casual play but you're equipped with the ultimate arsenal of the heavens or you 100%'d your Compendium and have some crazy god-tier demons/personas so powerful that "faceroll" is a perfectly viable tactic for every situation.

Koeta

Ok, found some keys I had laying around, my first time using modbot \('-')/
ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--five or fewer posts in the Steam thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Grptesqie Tactocs -- MB-1BAB02F56466E24B - Taken by Apostate
Crayon Physics Deluxe -- MB-C89129B47EE9A972 - Taken by intheinbetween

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom