• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being completely honest if you don't like FPSes HL2 probably won't do much for you. The only thing that really sets it apart gameplay wise is the gravity gun (allows you to pick up most objects and shoot them with enough force to kill) which honestly is what made the game fun to me. But yeah, that's it really.

Save it for the summer sale!

will save.
thanks.

this will be my first summer sale... the only protip i know is "don't buy a game unless it's a daily deal or it's the last day of the sale." Are there anymore protips?

TheD

The Detective
Does claiming any key via modbot preclude you from claiming an other key for some length of time?
Some of the ModBot posts say "If you won a game from ModBot recently [since the start of beta testing for ModBot], you are not eligible for this giveaway." but others don't.

will save.
thanks.

this will be my first summer sale... the only protip i know is "don't buy a game unless it's a daily deal or it's the last day of the sale." Are there anymore protips?

Sounds good to me. Enjoy the sale - I got my gaming PC 3 days before 2012's sale and it was like gaming heaven.

Also:

Always buy more games than you will ever play.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Looks like Dota 2 was properly released.

Officially speaking, it's no longer in beta, but practically speaking, since there's now a queue so Valve doesn't fall behind in server capacity, the game has essentially gone back a few steps to the early days of the beta, where you waited to be invited by Valve itself. :p

derExperte

Sorry if I have missed it, but does claiming a key via modbot preclude you from claiming an other key for some length of time?

A gifter can limit the giveaway to people who haven't gotten anything for a while. Look at the one right above you, it says

- If you won a game from ModBot recently [since the start of beta testing for ModBot], you are not eligible for this giveaway.

Or it could only be a week. Or no restriction.

Atruvius

Sounds good to me. Enjoy the sale - I got my gaming PC 3 days before 2012's sale and it was like gaming heaven.

Also:

Always buy more games than you will ever play.

Heh, I got my PC the day sale started. It was amazing. Bought many great titles for so cheap. It felt so good to have made the jump to PC gaming.

Caerith

Sorry if I have missed it, but does claiming a key via modbot preclude you from claiming an other key for some length of time?
You can only claim one key per giveaway. Other than that, it's at the discretion of the giver.

If it seems to good to be true, it'll probably be corrected within the hour.

If you're on the fence about something and don't plan to play it before the fall or winter sale, hold off on buying it until the fall or winter sale-- it might have a better discount by then or the base price might have dropped or both. (-40% on a $40 game now, or -75% on a $20 game later?)

If a game is relatively new and has a lot of DLC coming out, wait for the GOTY version.

There may be a recap day or there may not be a recap day. Hesitate at your own peril.

Publisher bundles are often better deals than whatever you were planning on getting.

If all else fails, use fire.

milenko79

Neo Member
I requested memento mori, not getting it. I thought I had more then 5 posts in this tread. Probably not then.

I do really like modbot, because I usually read GAF during downtime at work. Previously when someone gave away a code I liked, I wouldn't even try to get it. Now maybe sometimes I get a chance.

Another bonus is that sulc84 or similar dudes won't be taking the keys I give away anymore.

So, thanks from a lurker stumpakapow.

JaseC

Can someone briefly explain what modbot is and how it works?

ModBot is a system that allows people to give away unwanted keys without having to worry about invisible lurkers snapping them up, the thread being inundated with, "I'd like Bad Rats, thanks!" posts that drown out discussion, or responding to a bevy of PMs. You can attach rules to the giveaways, such as excluding those who may be hit-and-runners (i.e. folks with five or fewer posts in this thread) or recent winners, however it's entirely possible to offer keys with no restrictions at all, and you can even opt to give them away anonymously if you so desire (in which case ModBot posts in the thread on your behalf).

As for how to use ModBot, see Stump's posts here (general terms of use) and here (how-to).

Dunder beta-testing ModBot with a Steam gift, couldn't keep my fingers off even if it's not "officially supported".

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--five or fewer posts in the Steam thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If you won a game from ModBot recently [since the start of beta testing for ModBot], you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Half-Life Complete -- MB-14798034C9E1AA64 - Taken by r3n4ud

Let me know how it works, good luck!

UM7RXpQ.png

GAMERG0D

You guys were on fire last night, it took me 30 minutes to read every post. (800) >_<

I'm going to start Anodyne soon, I need to get into this card business before the Summer Sale.

JaseC

You guys were on fire last night, it took me 30 minutes to read every post. (800) >_<

I'm going to start Anodyne soon, I need to get into this card business before the Summer Sale.

Anodyne isn't a bad game to use as a jumping off point; its regular cards are still worth 50~60c.

didamangi

Looking at the price graphs on steam market make me regret not playing idling the trading card games way earlier.

Looking at the price graphs on steam market make me regret not playing idling the trading card games way earlier.

Same, I have a friend who owns virtually all of the badges because he sold several high priced cards when the beta launched and has been purchasing all of the cards now worth cents with the dollars he made before the card market tanked. I take comfort in the fact that I know I'm a better person than he is.

JaseC

Watching my initially-unique Defender's Quest foil drop in value from $40 to ~$8 over a two-week period was depressing. :(

Should I cave and buy Half-Life Complete or wait for the Orange Box or Valve Pack during the sale?

Portal 1 and Portal 2 are the only Valve games I own. I have also played the first Half-Life (and the couple of hours of Black Mesa), plus Half-Life 2 up to the beginning of Ravenholm.

Holy shit, I won your giveaway! Thank you so much Dunder.

Congratulation :)
Nice to see that it works to give away Steam gifts too.

For anyone wondering, you get a Steam gift link from gifting to your own mail.
You can only gift one copy of each game to your mail, so you might want to use a disposable temp mail service for multiple copies of one game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom