• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

smr00

Banned
I'll take all the cards I can get. :p
Can you ride with me to this place? I promise it's not an intervention about your addiction.
it's an intervention

I just bought Alice Madness Returns. I will have now 95.01 on my wallet for the sale
AU7Amsc.gif
After that + the Organ Trail i am down to $132.55 :(

I NEED MOAR

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Can you ride with me to this place? I promise it's not an intervention about your addiction.
it's an intervention

After that + the Organ Trail i am down to $132.55 :(

I NEED MOAR

This is my first steam sale Im trying hard not to add more on the wallet as I have things to pay too XD

sprinkles

Can't that that's what I remember. Last time people hoped the deals would get better on certain days but they were all boring, weekend or no weekend. And afair there was some very good stuff on the first days in the past.
They started even earlier this year with the repeats as Halflife is already on sale!

My second Summer Sale coming up, I doubt it will be as crazy as the first one. Still have a few games on my wishlist and hoping for surprises.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Still have a few games on my wishlist and hoping for surprises.

I can definitely recommend Evoland, especially if it goes on sale. Great little game though kind of short. Very enjoyable though!

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--five or fewer posts in the Steam thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If you won a game from ModBot recently [since the start of beta testing for ModBot], you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

EDGE -- MB-3F4AF1E82F19B601 - Taken by need4speed

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Whats the big deal with those cards? I got one from Super Meat Boy and IDK what Im supposed to do with it.

Basically:

You primarily earn cards via "drops", which occur on the odd occasion while you're in-game (you don't actually have to be playing; you can just idle in the main menu and alt-tab to do something else). You'll have no drops remaining for F2P games if you didn't spend $9 in the in-game store prior to the trading cards being implemented (or, in the case of TF2, didn't own a copy prior to it going F2P), whereas for paid games, you'll either have an amount of drops equal to half or half+1, depending on the total amount of cards available (e.g. if a game has 8 cards, you'll get 4 drops; if it has 9 cards, you'll get 5 drops).

As for the cards themselves, there are regular cards and rarer foil cards, the latter of which you can flog off for a pretty penny if you beat the market crash; additionally, you can also earn booster packs, which are a set of three cards, with a chance of a foil, that "drop" infrequently as long as you've signed into Steam once in the past week. Obviously you cannot complete a set with the limited amount of drops, so you're encouraged to either trade for or purchase from the Steam Market the missing cards. You can gain drops in F2P games by spending money in the in-game store, but given that you only earn a single drop per $9 spent, it's far cheaper to just buy what you need from the market. While cards disappear from your inventory when you craft a badge, once you've "maxed out" a certain badge, they will remain in the badge section of your profile, so you can view them at your leisure. (Valve will soon be implementing a virtual binder wherein your cards, whether present in your inventory or having been used to max out a badge, will reside.)

Badges can be "crafted" either by completing certain tasks (such as the Steam Community badge) or "spending" a complete set of cards. The ability to "level up" promotional badges (i.e. those not based on cards) varies, but regular card-based badges can be taken to level 5, while the special foil badges can be crafted just the once. When crafting a badge, you earn an emoticon, profile background (both related to the game in question), a Mysterious Card and 100 XP. XP in particular is used to "level up" your Steam Community profile, and with each level you gain an additional five friend slots as well as a showcase slot to show off something of your liking on your profile (rare/favourite games, games/DLC owned, achievements earned, etc.)

Edit: If a badge is not showing up in your list, either because you don't own the game in question or haven't spent enough money in the in-game store, it will appear after you receive a card pertaining to it. For instance, I didn't spend money in Dota 2 prior to the trading cards going live, so the badge didn't appear in my list until I began buying Dota 2 cards.

Edit edit: Sorry, I can't type tonight. :(

(Okay, maybe not "basically". :p)

It's also on Greenlight. The cheapest you can get it right now is part of this bundle which also comes with some great Steam keys.

Yes, I saw that thanks and have already voted for it on Greenlight. I loved the cheek of the Super Mario Kart video :). Will check out that Amazon bundle, thanks!

Oh and when you do work at Valve could you change the settings in my Steam game library so I can either add more than one category or multiple tags to a single game please? Thanks.

Ezra2680

ModBot's into necrophilia?

Anyway... there seems to be some interesting price-fixing going on in the Steam store at the moment.

I tried the demo for Dark Messiah of Might & Magic a while ago and I ended up enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. I was heavily into another game at the time though (Fallout: New Vegas, I think), so I just put Dark Messiah on my wishlist, rather than add to my backlog.

It’s remained for there for the last 19 months or so. Sales aside, the game’s been listed at £5.99 for as long as I can remember. Today it’s £9.99.

Maybe I’m being cynical, but I’m guessing Ubisoft are hoping that, when the games goes on sale tomorrow*, people will be fooled into thinking that, for example, a sale price of £4.99 is a far larger reduction than it really is - and will pick it up in the false belief that they’re getting a great bargain.

*please, please be tomorrow

That game is currently on sale at gamersgate.com for $2.50 USD I believe. Not sure what that will be in your imaginary monies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Oh and when you do work at Valve could you change the settings in my Steam game library so I can either add more than one category or multiple tags to a single game please? Thanks.

No problem - in fact it's something I'm planning for Enhanced Steam's "Library" mode. Having better ways to sort your library and more information on the game page is something I think should have been done a long time ago.

Dawg

28K players on steam are currently still playing Skyrim.

I wonder how much of them are using it for bikini and loli mods.

What if these "mystery cards" turn into a 50%off kind of thing (like we had before)... usable on games no one cares about.. =/

I expect, if it's steam sale related, these cards will reveal themselves to be 'scratch off tickets' with some 10-75% off discount coupons, based on the card ID. They may actually not be part of the summer sale and just might exist alongside the normal steam store.

Maybe it's something like 'get an addition 20 percent off' or something, which wouldn't be too bad on any given deal you might be interested in. Mystery cards don't seem to be exceedingly rare right now, and a little bonus coupon off a purchase seems a fitting reward to completing a set... It almost seems a little too generous.

I know we all want it to be something ridiculously cool, but what's the best possible scenario we're predicting here?

..Worst case scenario?

Grief.exe

I expect, if it's steam sale related, these cards will reveal themselves to be 'scratch off tickets' with some 10-75% off discount coupons, based on the card ID. They may actually not be part of the summer sale and just might exist alongside the normal steam store.

Maybe it's something like 'get an addition 20 percent off' or something, which wouldn't be too bad on any given deal you might be interested in. Mystery cards don't seem to be exceedingly rare right now, and a little bonus coupon off a purchase seems a fitting reward to completing a set... It almost seems a little too generous.

I know we all want it to be something ridiculously cool, but what's the best possible scenario we're predicting here?

..Worst case scenario?

That seems like the worst case scenario there.

I hope its something great for the sake of my Steam wallet.

Whats the big deal with those cards? I got one from Super Meat Boy and IDK what Im supposed to do with it.

Check the OP

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Alright, let's hear what you guys think is the:

Best Case Scenario:

Worst Case Scenario:

Most Realistic Scenario:

1) The cards combine to create a picture of Saoirse Ronan's face. :p (They kick off the Half-Life 3 announcement ARG in some way.)

2) They drop coupons and only coupons.

3) They're the ticket to users winning wishlist items.

So, when exactly do we get new cards?

Hope they add Sonic ASR Transformed this week.

Hopefully within the next couple of hours. The trading cards came out of beta just a couple of weeks ago so Valve releasing new cards this time last week wasn't much of a precedent.

Best Case Scenario:

Worst Case Scenario:

Most Realistic Scenario:

For the cards?
Best - A lead up to a Half Life 3 reveal, with those who have full sets getting early access
Worst - Bad Rats giveaway of course
Most realistic - I have no idea

Freezard

Burnout Paradise is definitely worth it, but I bought it for $2.50 on Amazon or so. I had fun playing it, just chilling and driving around the open world (although it's not exactly huge) while listening to the awesome music, finding signs/gates to crush and super jumps. The races are cool but it's annoying you have to drive to their starting location each time you want to compete, and there are tons of unskippable cutscenes after every race and whenever you unlock a new car. After maybe 10 hours or so it started to feel like a grind doing the same races and other than that there isn't much to it really, but was good fun while it lasted.

Two DLCs are included (bikes and one more which includes dynamic weather system), the rest are not available anymore in the in-game store at least.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Here's my prediction:

Mystery cards need to be crafted for the Summer Sale 2013 badge. The badge has five levels and gives you a random coupon and game every time it's completed. Also, Steam Profile wallpapers with the Steam mascots that no one cares about.

Best Case Scenario:

Worst Case Scenario:

Most Realistic Scenario:

Best Case Scenario: Access to a Mystery Card increases your chances of participating in the Half Life 3 Beta

Worst Case Scenario: Mystery Card contains a random emoticon for use in steam chat

Most Realistic Scenario: Mystery Cards are like McDonald's Monopoly. Small discounts taken off next purchase, Rare card may provide up to 50 percent off any game, or something like that. Given that you can collect multiple cards, I imagine some are more mysterious than others, and most are probably just small additional discount on future purchases.

Dawg

Best Case Scenario: gabed trolled us into buying them

Worst Case Scenario: gaben trolled us into buying them

Most Realistic Scenario: gaben trolled us into buying them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom