• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I'm SO EXCITED (a little more than) 12 HOURS AND THE GLORIOUSNESS IS STARTING!

www.gaben.tv

best website ever, man

tumblr_lxvx8hMkQE1qztjsto1_500.png

Grief.exe

For military tactical.

My one PC dream is to play DayZ, but I cant run Arma 2 :(

Standalone should be released within the next couple of weeks.

Its running on a heavily modified Arma II engine though, so you probably won't be able to run it.

That will probably be my game for the rest of the year.

Deadbeat

Banned
Tried to giveaway these mediocre to poor game keys earlier via modbot but I think I put too much rules on it and I can't submit it again to modbot, so:

1 key per person, first to PM gets the game.
I hope I got EU III Chronicles Collection. But every second passing by makes me think I didnt.

edit: I got it, thanks.

metalshade

Gordon Bennett you guys!
Slow down!
Trying to catch up on all the latest happenings takes an hour or more!
Damn.

Is Salsa going to create the Sale thread
and then be banned like the last time :p
?

The sale isn't allowed to start until Salsa is banned. Garry personally signs in to check.

didamangi

i just bought Alice MR, the game art is beautiful, too bad is framelocked at 30 fps, the gameplay is ok, a little repetitive but ok. this game is definitely on my "best five dollars i've ever spent" videogame list.

Find AliceEngine.ini on Documents\My Games\Alice Madness Returns\AliceGame\Config

Search for MaxSmoothedFrameRate and replace 31 with the max fps that you want :)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Okay what's the difference between Arma Combat Operations, Arma Cold War Assault, and Arma Gold Edition? And which is the best?

Because I can run Arma Armed Assault, which is part of Arma Gold, so I'm very excited.
Cold War Assault is the game formerly known as Operation Flashpoint, aka one of the best war games ever made. Armed Assault is the sequel (with a different name, I think Codemasters kept the rights for the Operation Flashpoint name). Gold contains Armed Assault and the expansion Queen's Gambit. Combat Operations is another name for Armed Assault. Basically what Jase said a page ago.

I'm doubting myself whether to grab the whole franchise once it goes on sale for a cheap price (75% off) or just Cold War Assault, since I loved that game back then, but never finished it.

Standalone should be released within the next couple of weeks.

Its running on a heavily modified Arma II engine though, so you probably won't be able to run it.

That will probably be my game for the rest of the year.

Any word/rumoring about pricing? Might hold on to some of my funds if it really is a few weeks off.

Xclash

can't grow facial hair
ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

The Binding of Issac -- MB-70A12D19C41979BD - Taken by Deadbeat
Legend of Grimrock -- MB-4F7510E6006A3B77 - Taken by Monado Blade

Giving away some extra games that I already have.

hom3land

Still have a backlog from last sale, and there's nothing I really want. But damn am I excited just for thrill that these sales bring,

Grief.exe

Okay, I had to make a few policy decisions before tomorrow, so, here it is:
- This thread is near enough to the end of its rope that I will not reopen it after the summer sale, we'll move to a new thread. GRIEF or whoever is handling the next post-summer thread, please be aware of this--and if it's not GRIEF, can you guys sort it out among yourselves? Not sure who talks to who or whatever, but just sort it out.

- ModBot's lurker requirement: It will qualify you if you posted 5 times in either this thread or the new thread. It doesn't sum the two together because of the way it's programmed. So basically that's my way of saying if you don't qualify now, you'll have to qualify in the new thread, but if you qualify now you'll be grandfathered in.

I'll take care of the next thread stump

Any word/rumoring about pricing? Might hold on to some of my funds if it really is a few weeks off.

About $15-$20

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So I'm a Big Doofus and I Accidentally Claimed a Key I Don't Want, What Do I Do Now?!?!?!!

Well, first of all, you're a doofus. Doofus. Don't do this.

Second of all, I've got a solution for you. Send a PM to ModBot. The title should contain the word nuke. The body should contain, one per line, Steam Keys you wish to unclaim. Not ModBot keys, Steam keys. Not more than one per line. No game titles. Just the keys.

So, example:
Title: nuke these keys
Body:
FART1-FART2-FART3
ABCD-EFGH-EEEE
EVER-YONE-FART

You will not receive a response or feedback, and the original post will not be edited to reflect that your claim has been relinquished, but the key will be removed from ModBot. You can re-post it as your own giveaway, or if you're a nice guy, contact the person who ran the original giveaway, send them the key, and say "sorry I claimed this but I didn't want it. I removed it from ModBot. You can relist it." The record of you taking the key will not be erased, and you will be considered to have won for the rules that prohibit previous winners from partaking.

Why so stringent on all counts? To prevent people from winning keys, redeeming them, nuking them to remove themselves from the winners list, and claiming more keys. Also, to dissuade people from claiming keys they don't want.

(This info will be edited into the ModBot thread, so no need to quote or anything)

Cold War Assault is the game formerly known as Operation Flashpoint, aka one of the best war games ever made. Armed Assault is the sequel (with a different name, I think Codemasters kept the rights for the Operation Flashpoint name). Gold contains Armed Assault and the expansion Queen's Gambit. Combat Operations is another name for Armed Assault. Basically what Jase said a page ago.

I'm doubting myself whether to grab the whole franchise once it goes on sale for a cheap price (75% off) or just Cold War Assault, since I loved that game back then, but never finished it.
So which is considered the better one? Arma Gold or Cold War Assault (aka Flashpoint)?

The game will be released as an Early Access title and, also like Arma 3, the price will increase (+$10 was floated as an example) as the game moves towards full release (i.e. the alpha will be cheaper than the beta which itself will be cheaper than the final build).

Excuse my complete ignorance, but if you buy the alpha will you later have to purchase the beta or lose access to the game, or is it a one time purchase á la Minecraft? Only reason I ask is because a friend gave me a Arma 3 alpha invite and it obviously expired.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Man, you know how those things are, I NEED to buy it.
Yes, but it's a preorder. Buying it now or a day before it's released is exactly the same.

Of course, you're free to do whatever you please. But if you're worried that it may get cheaper during the sale (I doubt it, never heard of preorders getting a discount during Steam sales) then waiting wouldn't hurt you at all.

On another note, I started Zeno Clash. It looks really nice, and I'm digging the first person melee combat, even if I'm often getting my ass handed to me.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Excuse my complete ignorance, but if you buy the alpha will you later have to purchase the beta or lose access to the game, or is it a one time purchase á la Minecraft? Only reason I ask is because a friend gave me a Arma 3 alpha invite and it obviously expired.

A single purchase entitles you to future builds. In your case with Arma 3, you would have been gifted the "lite" version of the alpha, which was essentially just a guest pass; if you'd purchased the alpha proper, you would have been granted access to the beta and the final release.

theytookourjobz

Anyone know somewhere to buy cheaper than retail Steam wallet cards? I can go to Target and get 5% off with my redcard (47.50 for a $50) but I wanted to check first.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Any word if Amazon is going to do any price matching? Didn't they do it in the past?

Amazon price matched or undercut Steam quite often last year, but that's because the two Summer Sales overlapped by quite a large margin (this year it's just by a matter of a few days). Tony may seek price matches on Steam's more popular deals on recent releases, but I wouldn't expect a repeat of last year given Amazon's own Summer Sale is ending soon.

A single purchase entitles you to future builds. In your case with Arma 3, you would have been gifted the "lite" version of the alpha, which was essentially just a guest pass; if you'd purchased the alpha proper, you would have been granted access to the beta and the final release.

Awesome, thanks for the clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom