• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zia

Not sure if this was posted, but Runner 2 is getting some DLC characters, the last of which were confirmed today. They're Dr Fetus (Super Meat Boy), Josef (Machinarium), Quote (Cave Story), Raz (Psychonauts), Spelunky Guy, Atlas (Portal 2) and Invisible Commander Video. The DLC is going to be $3 and comes out tomorrow. Excite.

Cth

Anyone know somewhere to buy cheaper than retail Steam wallet cards? I can go to Target and get 5% off with my redcard (47.50 for a $50) but I wanted to check first.

It'll take a while, but there are websites that you can do surveys to earn credits to get Gamestop and Amazon gift codes/cards.. but I think that's not what you're looking for.

I was saving the $25 I built up for the summer sale, but my daughter just discovered Animal Crossing and my wife isn't ready to give up her addiction yet. :D Sucks having to buy two copies, but it's paid for!

Salsa

I have to wonder if the guy had to talk with anybody in NBC or SNL to use the whole Mcgruber thing.

He must have had to do something.. right? I mean it was no issue when the game was free

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Oh wow. Didn't realize booster packs were so cheap now. Opening it makes much more sense then.

I thought it'd be worth more, too. I've been on vacation. So there's a big tf2 update and a civ expansion pack. Which do I play first?!

TF2, obviously. Civ will suck me in for days.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I have to wonder if the guy had to talk with anybody in NBC or SNL to use the whole Mcgruber thing.

He must have had to do something.. right? I mean it was no issue when the game was free

You're saying it's a game using a licensed property? Quick, buy it before it's yanked!

Ostinatto

I'm SO EXCITED (a little more than) 12 HOURS AND THE GLORIOUSNESS IS STARTING!

www.gaben.tv

I'M READY FOR THE MIRACLE !!!

iRzKJUboWyzMM.png

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
So which is considered the better one? Arma Gold or Cold War Assault (aka Flashpoint)?
Sorry, I have only played Op Flashpoint so I can't compare the two of them. That said, you can't go wrong with that one, IF you go in knowing that it's an extremely realistic game (when it came out, at least) and you won't be able to stay in cover and regenerate your health, nor find some health pickups lying on the floor in the middle of a mission.

Can't tell you how it holds up since I haven't played it in years (now that I think about it, I believe it's been 8 or more), but back then I thought it was great. Extremely hard but awesome.

Veal

i just bought Alice MR, the game art is beautiful, too bad is framelocked at 30 fps, the gameplay is ok, a little repetitive but ok. this game is definitely on my "best five dollars i've ever spent" videogame list.

You can unlock the framerate. Just edit the cfg file and change the target framerate from 30 to 60. That's it!

JaseC

You can unlock the framerate. Just edit the cfg file and change the target framerate from 30 to 60. That's it!

I had no idea Alice was capped to 30fps, haha. That might explain why the framerate feels like it tanks when using the pepper gun.

Sorry, I have only played Op Flashpoint so I can't compare the two of them. That said, you can't go wrong with that one, IF you go in knowing that it's an extremely realistic game (when it came out, at least) and you won't be able to stay in cover and regenerate your health, nor find some health pickups lying on the floor in the middle of a mission.

Can't tell you how it holds up since I haven't played it in years (now that I think about it, I believe it's been 8 or more), but back then I thought it was great. Extremely hard but awesome.
Oh, definitely expecting an anti-Call of Duty with either of those two. Play smart and tactical or you die, flanking, covering, all that good stuff

But I only want one. I can find any reviews for Arma Gold so that's why I'm asking here

Weens

Neo Member
Okay, I had to make a few policy decisions before tomorrow, so, here it is:
- This thread is near enough to the end of its rope that I will not reopen it after the summer sale, we'll move to a new thread. GRIEF or whoever is handling the next post-summer thread, please be aware of this--and if it's not GRIEF, can you guys sort it out among yourselves? Not sure who talks to who or whatever, but just sort it out.

- ModBot's lurker requirement: It will qualify you if you posted 5 times in either this thread or the new thread. It doesn't sum the two together because of the way it's programmed. So basically that's my way of saying if you don't qualify now, you'll have to qualify in the new thread, but if you qualify now you'll be grandfathered in.

Exciting, it's like the night before Christmas.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure if this was posted, but Runner 2 is getting some DLC characters, the last of which were confirmed today. They're Dr Fetus (Super Meat Boy), Josef (Machinarium), Quote (Cave Story), Raz (Psychonauts), Spelunky Guy, Atlas (Portal 2) and Invisible Commander Video. The DLC is going to be $3 and comes out tomorrow. Excite.
I'm interested in Raz and Atlas. I have no idea how Invisible Commander Video is going be, will I be playing with a nonexistent character? Quote and Dr Fetus are nice additions too.

Oh, definitely expecting an anti-Call of Duty with either of those two. Play smart and tactical or you die, flanking, covering, all that good stuff

But I only want one. I can find any reviews for Arma Gold so that's why I'm asking here
Exactly. The scenarios are huge too (from what I recall), and Op Flashpoint even has an option to fast-forward so it doesn't take that much to travel, even via jeep/truck.

Hope someone who has played both (or at least Gold) can tell you how that one is, so you can make your decision.

get both

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Mouse and keyboard should still work. Maybe you don't need to deactivate all HID devices. Just turn some off and see if the framerate is still crap.

It definitely works. I had to do this too. Kane & Lynch has the same bug and Ninja Blade too.

Thanks, I tried disabling some of them that didn't say "consumer device" or were listed as a device I use, and I'm not getting framerates as high as 400fps. Did you turn these back on when not playing? Are they useful for anything?

I ask because my audio interface has a similar bug where it trolls usb ports on Windows startup, and if this helps fix that, and those HID listings aren't being used for anything, I'd rather just keep them disabled permanently.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
edit defaultengine.ini
just 2 lines:

MaxSmoothedFrameRate=60

UseVsync=false
If you do this, you will be automatically included on my mental list of people who don't deserve to play games.

Screen tearing is the worst crime ever.

Thanks, I tried disabling some of them that didn't say "consumer device" or were listed as a device I use, and I'm not getting framerates as high as 400fps. Did you turn these back on when not playing? Are they useful for anything?

I ask because my audio interface has a similar bug where it trolls usb ports on Windows startup, and if this helps fix that, and those HID listings aren't being used for anything, I'd rather just keep them disabled permanently.
Is this your first time playing F.E.A.R.? How are you liking it? Isn't it one of the most awesome games ever made, if not THE one?

Dawg

If you do this, you will be automatically included on my mental list of people who don't deserve to play games.

Amen, brother.

Then again, I know people who prefer unlimited fps on their 60Hz screen and claim they don't see screen tearing.

So Arma Gold seems like the best choice. It's much newer and comes with the expansion.

I was reading some reviews and a common negative was the bugs. Has that been fixed in updates?

And can we share and play created missions in the editor?

I hate screen tearing, but I hate sluggish mouse controls a lot more. Sometimes D3D Overrider wont fix a vsync sluggishness and in that situation I'd rather just go with screen tearing.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Amen, brother.

Then again, I know people who prefer unlimited fps on their 60Hz screen and claim they don't see screen tearing,
Polar opposite of those people here. Can't stand tearing at all (I blame Prey for this), but I really don't see any difference between 30 and 60 FPS.

And yes, I've seen all those gifs showing the difference, and no, I can't see it unless I put the two of them side by side, and even then it's very subtle and almost imperceptible.

I hate screen tearing, but I hate sluggish mouse controls a lot more. Sometimes D3D Overrider wont fix a vsync sluggishness and in that situation I'd rather just go with screen tearing.
I also don't notice sluggish or bad mouse controls, unless the game is badly programmed. For example, many people said that Super Hexagon controls really bad with Vsync on, but I don't see any problem with it. Of course, I haven't beaten Hyper Hexagonest yet, but that's because I'm bad at it, not due to unresponsive controls.

Is this your first time playing F.E.A.R.? How are you liking it? Isn't it one of the most awesome games ever made, if not THE one?

I can't play mirror's edge because it tears so bad. I hate saying that.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)

I only played the first little bit, but it's was really good so far. I hate hate hate the color scheme though....so desaturated. I'm glad more modern games are embracing color again.

I had to go back to FTL cause I'm addicted, but I'll get more into it later tonight or tomorrow.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Pfft. Always force it through D3DOverider. fuck normal vsync
Why is that? Never used that program, what's the difference between in-game Vsync, D3DOverrider's and enabling it on the Nvidia Control Panel?

I can't play mirror's edge because it tears so bad. /i hate saying that.
That's a shame. I had to disable AA to prevent the screen from having a seizure, but I think it's not too bad with Vsync on.

Exeunt

Played my first few sessions of Deus Ex today! Mild, unmarked spoilers for the very first level.

I wasn't really sold on the game after the tutorial, but I'm starting to see what makes this game appealing now that I'm deeper into the first level and finally getting into the swing of things. I don't even think I used the password I was given by the undercover agent at the docks; instead I climbed a bunch of crates I found stacked up by one of the walls, then found an observation deck with gas traps that I turned against the guards there. Pretty fun and flexible stuff—I don't know if lobbing crates of TNT to disable alarms is the easiest way to complete my objectives, but it's pretty cool.

I gave Gunther my pistol to see what that would do (surprise: it took away my pistol!) and now I have to get to the top of the tower using stealth, LAMs, and other such things at my disposal. I also set on of the turrets up to attack enemies, which I'm guessing turns it back on the terrorists... I don't really understand why you'd set up a turret to attack allies. Should I go back and change it?

Anyway, this is a cool game with some cheesy voice acting and AI that's a little on the blind side. Can't wait to see what happens as things get more intricate.

JaseC

So we probably should give up on the halo trilogy on steam right? did grief find anything new?

It's gone quiet on that front. Microsoft made the registry listings private several weeks back, and while some had hoped that pertinent news would be announced at this event, it came and went without anything of note.

dot

I'm actually resorting to buying the cards off the market instead of trading for it now. What happened to me? :(

I just crafted a level 5 Isaac badge, no :poop: dropped. I am sad. I really wanted :poop:.

I hope the :poop: prices go down, so i can finally get one.

Stop laughing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom