• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.
Free 7-Eleven and Steam sale on the same day

Woah. I just realized that the 7-11 sale is on 7/11

at-t-infinity-mind-blown-o.gif

aww

That really is the best day evar. :)

What kind of puppy? And yes you should totally name it Gaben or something cool.

Labradoodle!

We adopted our last few pets so I feel kind of weird getting a "designer" one but oh well I suppose. Really excited, hoping my Australian Shepard gets along with her and the Doodle in return gives her a bit of excitement. Used to live in Alaska where she got a lot more exercise and activity so she's been a bit depressed in Texas.

Tempted to name him Gaben :D

Cth

What do you mean by "every game on the disc for free"? You mean all the episodes?

http://everything2.com/title/Quake+shareware+CD

A while before the actual release of the game Quake -- I don't remember exactly how long, it could have been anywhere from a week to several months -- id software released a shareware version of Quake. One form they released it in was a $10 CD (that's US dollars) that you could find in the various stores that sold video games.
This seems unremarkable, perhaps even a ripoff. And, if not for one little thing about this CD, it would have faded into history as a mere demo of a now-old game.

Quake was a first in so many ways that listing them would take a node all to itself. Many of these were technical firsts, and many of these were direct consequences of those technical firsts. The Quake shareware CD boasted several firsts all on its own.

The most important of these was the fact that id software had included a copy of every game it had ever made from Wolfenstein 3D to the yet-to-be-released full version of Quake on this CD, in encrypted form. This includes the following: Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Doom II, Final Doom, Heretic, Hexen, a Doom II level pack, a Hexen level pack, and, of course, Quake. No other game company I'm aware of had done anything like this before, and no other company has done it since, for reasons I'm getting around to revealing.

Unlocking a game involved calling a 1-800 number, giving them a credit card number, generating a pseudo-random number with the unlocking program on the CD, and listening to them read another number back to you, which you entered into the unlocking program. Press "OK" and Bing!, you've got a big self-extracting ZIP file sitting on your hard drive, ready to be installed.

This must have seemed a great idea to id's marketing department. Sell these games to people from the comfort of their own home, without having to bother with pesky shipping. Unfortunately, this seemed to be a case of the right hand not knowing what the left is doing.

Labradoodle!

We adopted our last few pets so I feel kind of weird getting a "designer" one but oh well I suppose. Really excited, hoping my Australian Shepard gets along with her and the Doodle in return gives her a bit of excitement. Used to live in Alaska where she got a lot more exercise and activity so she's been a bit depressed in Texas.

Tempted to name him Gaben :D

Post a pic of the Shepard.

Martian

Alright. Finally got some time today, so its time to play games and collect cards.
And just in time for summersale baby. I just need some money and im set

My Wishlist most wanted:
- Gunpoint
- Mount & Blade Warband
- Mount & Blade Napoleonic Wars
- Amnesia
- Incredipede
- Garry's Mod
- Surgeon Simulator

All for $30? Could it happen?

Post a pic of the Shepard.

iEfIUMKNpJ2nQ.jpg

She's a bit heavier now which I feel awful about. Started taking her on daily walks again(I got distracted by school and work, although it's no real excuse) so I'm hoping I can get it back down soon. Plus as I said I think the new dog will really get her motivated, she used to be so active in Alaska.

Neiteio

Wow, this video is amazing. Found it in the "I love Quake 1" thread. I never knew all this stuff was possible.

It's incredible how a 17 years old game can continue to amaze me. It's the perfect video to get excited and hyped for the Summer Seal, along with the last Foo Fighters album as soundtrack.
OK, I can't get over how amazing this looks. I really want to play Quake. How much do I have to mod this thing for it to work well today?

My steam wallet is more then ready and my trigger finger is itching to pull on some deals! Please do not disappoint me Steam Sale! I've got a lot of indie games on my wishlist and I'm expecting to cut my wishlist of 30 games down by at least half!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
My Wishlist most wanted:
- Gunpoint
- Mount & Blade Warband
- Mount & Blade Napoleonic Wars
- Amnesia
- Incredipede
- Garry's Mod
- Surgeon Simulator

All for $30? Could it happen?

Gunpoint: $4.99
M&B Warband: $4.99
M&B Napoleonic Wars: $2.49
Amnesia: $4.99
Incredipede: $3.39/$4.99
Garry's Mod: $2.49
Surgeon Simulator 2013: $4.99

= $28.33/$29.93

iEfIUMKNpJ2nQ.jpg

She's a bit heavier now which I feel awful about. Started taking her on daily walks again(I got distracted by school and work, although it's no real excuse) so I'm hoping I can get it back down soon. Plus as I said I think the new dog will really get her motivated, she used to be so active in Alaska.

Wow, my girlfriend's mom has one and she looks a lot like the one you have.

We want to take her for ourselves but we live in an apartment and I'd feel bad having such an active breed in a small space like that. They are beautiful dogs.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
http://everything2.com/title/Quake+shareware+CD

A while before the actual release of the game Quake -- I don't remember exactly how long, it could have been anywhere from a week to several months -- id software released a shareware version of Quake. One form they released it in was a $10 CD (that's US dollars) that you could find in the various stores that sold video games.
This seems unremarkable, perhaps even a ripoff. And, if not for one little thing about this CD, it would have faded into history as a mere demo of a now-old game.

Quake was a first in so many ways that listing them would take a node all to itself. Many of these were technical firsts, and many of these were direct consequences of those technical firsts. The Quake shareware CD boasted several firsts all on its own.

The most important of these was the fact that id software had included a copy of every game it had ever made from Wolfenstein 3D to the yet-to-be-released full version of Quake on this CD, in encrypted form. This includes the following: Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Doom II, Final Doom, Heretic, Hexen, a Doom II level pack, a Hexen level pack, and, of course, Quake. No other game company I'm aware of had done anything like this before, and no other company has done it since, for reasons I'm getting around to revealing.

Unlocking a game involved calling a 1-800 number, giving them a credit card number, generating a pseudo-random number with the unlocking program on the CD, and listening to them read another number back to you, which you entered into the unlocking program. Press "OK" and Bing!, you've got a big self-extracting ZIP file sitting on your hard drive, ready to be installed.

This must have seemed a great idea to id's marketing department. Sell these games to people from the comfort of their own home, without having to bother with pesky shipping. Unfortunately, this seemed to be a case of the right hand not knowing what the left is doing.
I didn't know this story, thanks for sharing it!

With the stealth elements, I actually wish Deus Ex had System Shock 2's sound design.
If SS2's soundtrack is half as good as Deus Ex's, I'd be a happy man.

OK, I can't get over how amazing this looks. I really want to play Quake. How much do I have to mod this thing for it to work well today?
If you run it through DOSBox, none at all. That's how I have it right now, at least until I buy it on Steam eventually.

If you have a Wii, there's a great homebrew port that uses the Wiimote really well. I played the whole game there and it runs perfectly.

JaseC

M&B and Amnesia would go that low? Seems like I have just enough

They've been that cheap in the past. Gunpoint, the cheaper Incredipede price, and Surgeon Sim are all guesses on my part.

Edit: Assuming the worst, I'd say:

Gunpoint: $5.99
M&B Warband: $4.99
M&B Napoleonic Wars: $2.49
Amnesia: $4.99
Incredipede: $4.99
Garry's Mod: $2.49
Surgeon Simulator 2013: $5.99

= $31.93

They've been that cheap in the past.
Awesome. Can't wait

---
Okay, I had an issue. I had downloaded the Sleeping Dogs demo to see what would happen if I tried to play a higher spec game.

So now I tried to delete it. The demo no longer shows up in my library but for the past two hours, there's been a little box that stays Uninstalling Sleeping Dogs Demo on the screen

How do I get rid of it?

Exeunt

If SS2's soundtrack is half as good as Deus Ex's, I'd be a happy man.

The first track is pretty jarring, but I think SS2's soundtrack is pretty good. I like what I've heard from Deus Ex as well, though that title theme could use some better samples.

73V3N

Banned
Okay, I had an issue. I had downloaded the Sleeping Dogs demo to see what would happen if I tried to play a higher spec game.

So now I tried to delete it. The demo no longer shows up in my library but for the past two hours, there's been a little box that stays Uninstalling Sleeping Dogs Demo on the screen

How do I get rid of it?

Restart Steam and see if it works.

JaseC

Awesome. Can't wait

---

How do I get rid of it?

Restart Steam? ;)

KiDdYoNe

Soooo. Heading out from work, my body is ready to say goodbye to some extra cash i got yesterday. Was on vacation and thought im gonna get less money. Not sure how much to add tho - with russian prices i can add 20 bucks and its gonna be A LOT for tge sale, i dont want buch of games... but there are some with cards... Damn, Gaben!

Neiteio

If you run it through DOSBox, none at all. That's how I have it right now, at least until I buy it on Steam eventually.

If you have a Wii, there's a great homebrew port that uses the Wiimote really well. I played the whole game there and it runs perfectly.
I have a Wii and I like Wiimote shooters, but I don't want to use homebrew. If I get Quake 1 on Steam, what's the best way to play it?

Wow, my girlfriend's mom has one and she looks a lot like the one you have.

We want to take her for ourselves but we live in an apartment and I'd feel bad having such an active breed in a small space like that. They are beautiful dogs.

Yeah, they really are amazing dogs. Really do feel bad for her as she grew up in beautiful Alaska with an acre and now lives in a house with a pretty small backyard. Will be moving out once I get my degree so hopefully given the small size of the Labradoodle it'll be workable and comfortable. Really want a Great Dane but it'll be a long while before I have a house of my own comfortable enough for a dog like that.

Huzzah, McPixel badge complete! I'm lazy, can someone post the script for mystery cards?

Salsa

also all the transparencies in the thread are now set to matte black so they'll look a bit worse on a white/light gray background because if you're not using the dark theme then what the hell is wrong with you

also all the transparencies in the thread are now set to matte black so they'll look a bit worse on a white/light gray background because if you're not using the dark theme then what the hell is wrong with you

The beta switch over was shocking, I had forgotten what Gaf actually looked like. I don't know how people stare at that horrible, blinding whiteness 24/7.

JaseC

The Modbot thingum is cool stuff.
Do we PM Modbot if we want to give items/games away?

You can give away keys and Steam gift URLs via ModBot, yes, but you can also hand them out the old fashioned way if you so desire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom