• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quantum

I have been so good lately waiting on the sale.

I've hidden in owned PC games and my 3DS and Vita - my wishlist has quietly grown to 36 games.

I have the 500+ badge so I know I have a problem but - bring on the sale!

The_Monk

You need to unequip those trunks to get rid of that slow roll...

No, I like my trunks, sir!

Question for these Cards thing:

It does not matter if you craft a Badge for the first time or you Craft one of those Level 2 Badges, the items you get for crafting them are always the same. Correct fellow GAFfers?

No, I like my trunks, sir!

Question for these Cards thing:

It does not matter if you craft a Badge for the first time or you Craft one of those Level 2 Badges, the items you get for crafting them are always the same. Correct fellow GAFfers?
Correct. Emoticon, background and now a Mystery Card but previously a coupon.

Tobinishi

I love trading cards ;)

Bought a Trine 2 Booster Pack for 1,66. Got both cards i still needed for the badge and a Foil-card. Sold the foil for 3,5 and made 2€ profit :)

KiDdYoNe

Woke up. You can bring it on right now.

Was thinking about what i wanna get... well, 20$ isnt gonna be enuoug i guess. My bet is 40$, but will see how it ends.

Caerith

anyway this Winter Seal will be more interesting for recently released or about to be released games such as D&D Chronicles of Mystara, Shadowrun, State of Decay, or even other games such as Far Cry 3, Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite, Remember Me, DmC, RE6, RE: RE, and so on
I might have been excited about the chance of a D&D sale, but Dragon's Crown is finally coming out, so...

Correct. Emoticon, background and now a Mystery Card but previously a coupon.
And you even get the same experience (+100xp) for going from 1 to 2 as you would going from 0 to 1.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I've been getting cards but I still don't know how to craft badges, could anyone explain to me how to do it?

You need a complete set of cards to craft a badge. You can visit the badges section of your profile to see what you're missing. Games only offer a limited amount of drops, so you'll need to trade for/purchase the rest.

Thieve

Neo Member
And you even get the same experience (+100xp) for going from 1 to 2 as you would going from 0 to 1.

Is that all the way up to 5, or just the first 2 crafted badges?

I like to think the dev is trolling us. Maybe if you go for gold or whatever it is you could get enough time out of the game for every drop but I'm in chapter 4 and only have two cards.

I got gold on all the things, afk'd for a while, and came back to 2 missing cards.

Niwa

Definitely.

It will change you as a human being on a deep, fundamental level.

Any reason why Anno 1404 is not available in Steam?
I want it, but it's not available for purchase

If you can get on steam at all
that's what I'm afraid of (><)
it will! You'll buy a lot of games never to be played forever after!

Yeah. You won't be a gamer anymore after you tasted the buying.

First you'll just buy games you're particularly interested in.

Then you'll find yourself buying games that even remotely interest you, if the price is right.

Then you'll find yourself buying anything simply because it's cheap.

And finally, you'll find yourself chasing copies of Steam-redeemable games that are no longer sold via Steam itself. This is the stage of true enlightenment.

It'll change you from gamer to hoarder.

Oh boy, then I'm in for a treat!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I like to think the dev is trolling us. Maybe if you go for gold or whatever it is you could get enough time out of the game for every drop but I'm in chapter 4 and only have two cards.

It took me somewhere around three hours to use up my drops.

Divius

Well, I somewhat enjoyed this silly little game but will not play through it again just to play that final world/level/chapter/whatever. Now I'm just idling until I get remaining 2 cards.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
There's no emotion in most of the dropable emoticons.
Kind of a bummer. There's not really much use for them.

That is perfect.

I haven't finished Dark Souls yet, either. I beat Four Kings at SL1, decided to do the expansion stuff but got stuck on
Artorias
, then got distracted by some other games and never got back to it.

You're right. That GIF is perfect.

As for the game itself, I haven’t managed to finish it yet either, but in my case (and I know that this is heretical thinking ‘round these parts) it was mainly due to an ever-growing dislike of the online component.

I probably would have been okay with it if it was something that I could opt in to when I was in the mood but after a long day in work I tended not to be. I lost count of the number of times I’d pick up Dark Souls with the intention of grinding a level or maybe upgrading some equipment, only to get invaded just as I was heading for a campfire to save at. That got really irritating, really fast.

Still, on the plus side, I did develop a previously undiscovered talent for combining swear-words and animal names in remarkably inventive combinations.

Petrie

Banned
Hoping for a good price on Tropico 4, even though with the new Civ expansion out I'll never play it, hence the price will likely never be low enough given how little I've played 3.

Oh first world problems.

Unless, this becomes the worst summer sale ever. Every new yearly sale somehow doesn't have the punch that the last one had, or maybe it's just me.

In every sale there are fewer and fewer games left you want. For aussies there are more and more games that are price gouged making any discount pointless.

It is just natural. Still fun though, I get to wake up tomorrow and try to catch up to all the fun.

You need a complete set of cards to craft a badge. You can visit the badges section of your profile to see what you're missing. Games only offer a limited amount of drops, so you'll need to trade for/purchase the rest.

I just noticed I got the 4 available cards atm for They Bleed Pixels and TF2, and it seems like I'm elegible to get booster packs for both of them, but I still haven't got any booster pack. do I have to keep playing those games in order to the their booster packs? or it just drops randomly as I log on to Steam¿?

Thieve

Neo Member
In every sale there are fewer and fewer games left you want. For aussies there are more and more games that are price gouged making any discount pointless.

It is just natural. Still fun though, I get to wake up tomorrow and try to catch up to all the fun.

I'm more excited about potential metagames more so than sales, to be honest.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I just noticed I got the 4 available cards atm for They Bleed Pixels and TF2, and it seems like I'm elegible to get booster packs for both of them, but I still haven't got any booster pack. do I have to keep playing those games in order to the their booster packs? or it just drops randomly as I log on to Steam¿?
If you log in at least once a week you have a chance of getting a randomly dropped booster pack for a game you have used all your drops for.

Thieve

Neo Member
Would be nice, but it seems unlikely. The way things have been going I wouldn't be surprised to see non-recurring 2 hour long flash deals.

Same here, but the lack of new achievements showing up doesn't fill me with much confidence on what they're going to do.

Well, the trading card stuff gives hope that there's something "big" coming with the sale. I doubt they'll try to do something with achievements again.

current top five (with about 15 more behind them):

Might and Magic Heroes VI - concerned about the Ubi DRM but I liked the demo a lot

Amnesia - I seem to be collecting survival horror games that I then never play

Fallout: NV - had it on 360 at one point but couldn't get into it. makes perfect sense to try again, right?

Rayman Origins - lots of people raving about this

The Swapper - lots of people raving about this one too

ChapaNDJ

Banned
Kingdoms Of Amalur looks interesting, i hope it gets a juicy discount.

wldkB7g.jpg

Woorloog

Banned
Fallout: NV - had it on 360 at one point but couldn't get into it. makes perfect sense to try again, right?

I doubt you can get into it if you didn't on 360.
But it is worth a try... just follow this advice, unlikely my friend: Even if you want to play it vanilla, install the frigging unofficial patches. Seriously. The game's awfully bugged even with latest official patch.
Also, if you want to play hardcore mode, and don't mind modding, get J.E. Sawyer's mod (don't remember the name), makes it a bit closer to the original Fallouts and much harder (well, makes hardcore certainly more hardcore).

Well, the trading card stuff gives hope that there's something "big" coming with the sale. I doubt they'll try to do something with achievements again.
Well that's obvious with the Mysterious cards, but trading cards are far less interesting (and far less involved) than achievement hunting. Most people will just buy and idle games.

The_Monk

Well that's obvious with the Mysterious cards, but trading cards are far less interesting (and far less involved) than achievement hunting. Most people will just buy and idle games.

I'm really curious about those too fellow GAFfer.

In the worst case it will be those Discount Cards, ugh. But let's hope not! *fingers crossed*

Thieve

Neo Member

That's true, and I liked the achievements more, but it ended up being the same problem as with the cards and people would just SAM all the achievements. Although it'll be less of a problem, because there won't be multiple accounts + sub-dollar HIB's.

Caerith

Is that all the way up to 5, or just the first 2 crafted badges?
Every level is 100 xp, so a level 5 badge is worth a total of 500 xp.

You're right. That GIF is perfect.

As for the game itself, I haven’t managed to finish it yet either, but in my case (and I know that this is heretical thinking ‘round these parts) it was mainly due to an ever-growing dislike of the online component.

I probably would have been okay with it if it was something that I could opt in to when I was in the mood but after a long day in work I tended not to be. I lost count of the number of times I’d pick up Dark Souls with the intention of grinding a level or maybe upgrading some equipment, only to get invaded just as I was heading for a campfire to save at. That got really irritating, really fast.

Still, on the plus side, I did develop a previously undiscovered talent for combining swear-words and animal names in remarkably inventive combinations.
The problem with Dark Souls PC is it has all the same loopholes as Dark Souls 360, which was hacked all to hell. I can't wait for Dark Souls 2 to come out and be on a central server like Demon's Souls was-- essentially an MMO, sure, but at least no infinite health chickenhawks.

The online in any Souls game makes leveling up something you only do when you absolutely have to. My first time in Demon's Souls, I didn't stand a chance with my level 60 character who I had just leveled up willy-nilly. Then I deleted that character and made a point of only leveling when I needed to, and when I entered 1-2 for the first time at level 30 the invading dragon mirdan hammer users were completely unprepared for facing a blueblood sword user.

In Dark Souls, I avoid invaders by playing at SL1. When Dark Souls 2 comes out, I'll be playing as an SL1 on my first time through the game.

mchal

Neo Member
Because today is my birthday (and some kind of steam sale that no one cares about ;) ) I'm going to giveaway few indie games.

Let's start with Cargo Commander

Quote to see the code!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom