• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the obsession with being ready to nab a game the moment the sale goes live? I shant remind people how stock works on Steam :p

This is how Steam sales always work. The minute the deals get posted, everyone will start complaining that they're underwhelming or they already have every game listed.

Prepare for five pages of "Nothing for me today!" posts.

krpiper

Working and drinking this awful orange cream soda:

994226_10151577033503515_174646297_n.jpg

Where did you get this, I love cream soda so I am very interested in this

Most people who have been here the longest had Half-Life 2 as their first Steam game.

That was the first game to require the client.

Pretty sure I made my Steam account when I wanted to try out this Counter Strike thing that was included in my Half Life GOTY Edition box. WON was dead so I had to make a Steam account but it all fell apart because I wasn't gonna be downloading those updates over 28.8k!

Signed back into the account years later after forgetting that I even put that HL key into the client, and found I already owned HL and a bunch of other mods like Ricochet and it was the coolest.

A fellow GAFfer and a fellow student! What's your major, where do you attend?

I'm a psychology major and go to Suny Purchase near White Plains, NY

On that note, anyone here live in update NY?

Mathmatics, with minor in Computer Science
University of Aveiro, Portugal

Number Theory is the last course to complete the degree

My brother works for Southwest Airlines in Newark, NJ, and a cousin work for Sony Music Entertainment in NYC

Caerith

This is how Steam sales always work. The minute the deals get posted, everyone will start complaining that they're underwhelming or they already have every game listed.

Prepare for five pages of "Nothing for me today!" posts.
Also "Valve is a bunch of bait and switch scammers" when a price takes a few minutes to update.

I'd say "in before itshappening.gif" but that image has been posted about 200 times in this thread already.

Well keys can run out but there is also the possibility of pricing errors, like recently with the Sonic Franchise pack going on sale by mistake.
When's the last time keys ran out during a sale? I honestly can't remember.

Price mistakes, ok, that I can understand...

A friend just got an email from PayPal promoting the sale. It's real.

Also Retro City Rampage and Gateways are on sale for 11 days starting today. 11 + 11 = 22 July which is approximately the last day of the steam summer sale.
oh yes, they have an agreement to price-match offers made by steam, so this is an other clue!

Btw the only proof needed is that the midweek ends earlier.

KarmaCow

When's the last time keys ran out during a sale? I honestly can't remember.

Price mistakes, ok, that I can understand...

I think they ran out Burnout Paradise keys a while back, but yea I don't think there will be a Prey like situation and everyone should get their keys eventually.

I completely forgot about that TimeShift game. I'm moderately interested in it, despite looking like a fairly mediocre shooter.

Advent Rising seems kinda interesting, but I don't know if I care enough to get it.

javadots

Banned
Mathmatics, with a minor in Computer Science

Oh. You should be well-suited with Number Theory then. Screw going college pace, you're supposed to impress your professors and outshine everyone else in class by being well-established with the material already. Then you're able to get professor recommendations for internships. Has doubt ever crossed you as to whether mathematics interests you? I was doing pre-med but I couldn't keep my hands off the keyboard and as a result I didn't do too good in pre-med because I loved programming more.

This is still my favorite post from this thread. I just keep imagining the guy with a room of little seals on bookshelves.
I should learn to plan for these seals, I always go wild when seals appear and try to snatch up as many of them as I think are interesting. I've got seals that have been sitting sealed in my library of seals and I don't know if I'll have the time to treat them like a procured seal should be treated. I admire all of you guys, with official seal plans, for your organization.

JordanKZ

I made my steam account December 2004, when HL2 was supposed to be released and was promptly delayed. AMD (then ATi) ran a promo where you got HL2 when purchasing a Radeon 9600 Pro/XT or XTPE card.

Due to the delay, Valve gave everyone free copies of all their current games. Steam was utter shit back then. The client was atrocious.

9 years on and I'm 5 games short of 800. This sale isn't going to help that number.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Working on my Mechanical Engineering degree here.

Bachelor of Science in Astrophysics here. Don't put too much stock in that piece of paper.

zychi

Banned
I made my steam account December 2004, when HL2 was supposed to be released and was promptly delayed. AMD (then ATi) ran a promo where you got HL2 when purchasing a Radeon 9600 Pro/XT or XTPE card.

Due to the delay, Valve gave everyone free copies of all their current games. Steam was utter shit back then. The client was atrocious.

9 years on and I'm 5 games short of 800. This sale isn't going to help that number.
Same exact story for me except for number of games. I bought the 9600 for hl2, put it in, and been a member since. Loading between levels took foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrr with the 9600 on my shitty drsktop

Oh. You should be well-suited with Number Theory then. Screw going college pace, you're supposed to impress your professors and outshine everyone else in class by being well-established with the material already. Then you're able to get professor recommendations for internships. Has doubt ever crossed you as to whether mathematics interests you? I was doing pre-med but I couldn't keep my hands off the keyboard and as a result I didn't do too good in pre-med because I loved programming more.

Not really like that. Here Number Theory is only avaiable in the Mathmatics Course Plan. It's not aviable to other majors.

I've had my doubts since the first day of classes, but I think it's kind of normal.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That explains the magic of Enhanced Steam then. You're a rocket scientist

Not quite - I used to study the places that rocket can't yet take us.

Now I work in IT and code Enhanced Steam on the side. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom