• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Just a theory, but they seem to update on the same day, and even the specific files they update matches up a lot of times.

A lot of times these type of things seem to be outsourced to other companies.

That's a pretty massive leap of faith. Bioshock's update log clearly references Digital Extremes. Batman's does not.

Grief.exe

That's a pretty massive leap of faith. Bioshock's update log clearly references Digital Extremes. Batman's does not.

That was the original company that handled the multiplayer. That is the title for Bioshock's multiplayer build, and also why its not in Batman's database entry.

I emailed Digital Extremes, they don't seem to be involved.

I also used phrases like 'seemingly' and 'theory' because I realize that correlation doesn't create causation.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
That was the original company that handled the multiplayer. That is the title for Bioshock's multiplayer build, and also why its not in Batman's database entry.

I emailed Digital Extremes, they don't seem to be involved.

Oh yeah, what did they say?

And I am completely aware of what their involvement with it originally.

zkylon

zkylewd
So bummed I missed that $2 sale eons ago. I almost had it but at the time I'd moved country and Steam locked my account. Hoping I can get it cheap this coming sale.
tbh the game's really worth the 15 bucks since it has a shit ton of replayability. I've beaten it like 4 times and still boot it up every now and again (though the saudi arabia bit is really a drag)

So yeah, what good is a rpg that forces you into one "correct" style of playing again?
it's an action rpg that fucked up the action part. stealth is serviceable enough for most people to enjoy the rpg parts (dialogue, decisions, specing is actually very good) which are fantastic.

alpha protocol is a diamond in the rough in its purest sense, genius crippled by development hell and questionable design decisions

I get that the dialogue system was pretty cool and the different story outcomes are intriguing on some level but telltale's walking dead had that. Or any number of games with multiple endings.
walking dead has fantasy reactivity, alpha protocol has actual reactivity.

your decisions in walking dead only affect some weird interpretation in your head of what happens in the game, but it barely changes anything meaningful. it's why personally I think those games are pretty bad and disingenuous

in alpha protocol half the cast can die because of your actions, you can be betrayed by people if you treat them like garbage, the end boss changes, you don't even meet people if you do things out of order, etc.

I seriously can't think of a game with better reactivity than alpha protocol

Grief.exe

Oh yeah, what did they say?

And I am completely aware of what their involvement with it originally.

Their guy seemed to have no idea what was going on. The email leads me to believe that they have no idea what's being done with Bioshock 2

I didn't realize it was announced that B2 was coming to Steam. Essentially it's the same PC version, nothing new just being made available for Steam. Sorry to disappoint :(

Grief.exe

It reads like he couldn't figure out what you were asking.

He didn't seem to be aware of anything do with Bioshock 2. You think if the studio was currently contracted to be working on updating the Steam version he would have some knowledge of that.

The response is so confused and lost that you have to believe they haven't been involved in anything Bioshock related in years.

There's no other game like it. Existence for better or worse has been justified.

1) It sounds like you didn't build out your character correctly.

2) The story is nothing like James Bond. It's bad Robert Ludlum fanfic if anything.
BRB , Gonna Go play The Bourne Conspiracy on my 360.

Damn does that game need a PC port, it's the epitome of Robert Ludlum fanfic, in a great way.

Edit: Why in the hell didn't that wonderful distraction of a game get a PC Release? It's next to Red Dead, The Last of Us, and Halo 3 on my PC port wishlist.

FloatOn

walking dead has fantasy reactivity, alpha protocol has actual reactivity.

your decisions in walking dead only affect some weird interpretation in your head of what happens in the game, but it barely changes anything meaningful. it's why personally I think those games are pretty bad and disingenuous

in alpha protocol half the cast can die because of your actions, you can be betrayed by people if you treat them like garbage, the end boss changes, you don't even meet people if you do things out of order, etc.

I seriously can't think of a game with better reactivity than alpha protocol

You really should play Risen then. You can so easily fail quests and if you rob someones house they actually remember you and will hunt you down.

It also makes you extremely vulnerable in the beginning so you have a feeling of like you are making actual progress in your build.

Maybe I didn't get far enough in Alpha Protocol but it just seemed like a gun was a gun and my stats didn't matter so long as I shot a guy enough or managed to get a stealth take down.

From my experience Deus Ex Human Revolution did all of this so much better than what Alpha Protocol pulled off.

Grief.exe

Well here was my email. In my opinion, doesn't leave much up to interpretation.

I noticed the Steam version of Bioshock 2 is being updated. Is Digital Extremes assisting in any way with the update process?

If you guys are working on the update, I was curious as to what you were doing. Adding achievements? Updating Keyboard/Mouse Controls? Removing DRM (Securom, GFWL)?

I appreciate your time, thank you.

zkylon

zkylewd
You really should play Risen then. You can so easily fail quests and if you rob someones house they actually remember you and will hunt you down.

It also makes you extremely vulnerable in the beginning so you have a feeling of like you are making actual progress in your build.
I probably should, played a bit of the demo and it didn't hook me so I never bothered to actually buy it, but it's in my to-play list.

Maybe I didn't get far enough in Alpha Protocol but it just seemed like a gun was a gun and my stats didn't matter so long as I shot a guy enough or managed to get a stealth take down.
well I dunno how far you got, but upgrading your guy ended up leaving you pretty stupidly overpowered in compared to the weak stealth/shooter mechanics. I kinda had fun anyways but yeah, leveling was actually very satisfying, unfortunately the gameplay in general didn't support it as well as it should.

From my experience Deus Ex Human Revolution did all of this so much better than what Alpha Protocol pulled off.
stealth gameplay? no doubt about it, hr beats the shit outta ap in that aspect, no two ways about it

choice & consequence? nope, like I said, I have trouble thinking of games that feel as responsive to your actions as ap. and in every level, if you're nice to your handler you'll get boosts in missions (and if you treat them like shit you get a difference set of boosts), a choice in the game might have narrative consequences but at the same time free up dossiers that you can use as dialogue options, or block off a weapons dealer, or a side mission, etc. you get perks for all sorts of shit, people make comments on your wardrobe, it's insane.

Grief.exe

You are referring to an update that no one is suppose to know about and one that is suppose to be completely invisible.

Not really. The achievements were made public a long time ago.

Also, if Digital Extremes had anything to do with the update, why would they would be lying?

I didn't realize it was announced that B2 was coming to Steam. Essentially it's the same PC version, nothing new just being made available for Steam. Sorry to disappoint :(

We know at the very least achievements are coming, and they haven't bothered to hide those. They have shown up in the client.
There are multiple levels of security to hide achievements within the API.

He doesn't even seem to be aware that the game is currently available on Steam. Don't you think if your company was contract to update that version, you would be aware the platform it is available on?

These arguments just don't seem plausible.

ShaneB

see, you're doing this right, you accept that a game is beloved by many and word your post in a way that it clearly shows you don't like it and it's a matter of taste, which is perfectly fine

you don't grab the game and say it's not worth 3 bucks because reasons

I like to keep my disagreements and opinions civil :p

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Not really. The achievements were made public a long time ago.

Also, if Digital Extremes had anything to do with the update, why would they would be lying?

1) Public to the people who are scraping the registry for information.

2) It isn't that far fetched to assume they're under an NDA.

Grief.exe

1) Public to the people who are scraping the registry for information.

2) It isn't that far fetched to assume they're under an NDA.

1) No, I said the information was publicly available and in the client, I wasn't lying http://steamcommunity.com/stats/8850/achievements

Anyone who clicks on the Steam Store can see them.

2) If they were under NDA, their response would be no comment, "we currently don't have plans."

I've never seen a company just lie like that and sell the features short about something they are working on.

Come on Scribblenauts Unlimited, Saints Row the Third, Payday, Mark of the Ninja, Age of Empires 2, Civilization, Total War, XCom, New Vegas, Dustforce, Deus Ex HR, Company of Heroes 2, Binding of Isaac, Sonic Racing and Just Cause 2 trading cards.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
1) No, I said the information was publicly available and in the client, I wasn't lying http://steamcommunity.com/stats/8850/achievements

Anyone who clicks on the Steam Store can see them.

2) If they were under NDA, their response would be no comment, "we currently don't have plans."

I've never seen a company just lie like that and sell the features short about something they are working on.

1) Didn't realize it was linked from the store page.

2) Not sure why the person answering the email would say that, but who knows what is coming in the future. Maybe there is supposed to be a big reveal and he or she is being coy. Keep in mind they said "essentially" instead of "exactly," so there is wiggle room for changes and adaptations.

I'm itching to finally take a whack at some ARMA. Is there any reason to not grab one of the collections while they are 50%, even with the Summer extravaganza most likely approaching?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm itching to finally take a whack at some ARMA. Is there any reason to not grab one of the collections while they are 50%, even with the Summer extravaganza most likely approaching?

With the Summer Sale no more than a couple of weeks away, I'd just wait.

JaseC

Forget about Arma 2, Arma 3 just went beta!

And is consequently more expensive than it was a day or two ago. ;) I think it being 25% off or so during the Summer Sale is a distinct possibility given how long it's been available via Early Access.

I thank you both. Inside I knew that waiting was the logical response, though I was still willing to be corrupted in favor of the immediate gratification (that I would potentially regret in the very near future)

Eventually the multiplayer scene will move on to Arma 3.. single player campaign-wise there is no reason why you should particularly desire Arma 2, Arma 3 should be an improvement in all accounts. I'd say it would be a wiser investment.

Shame the price went up since it hit beta.. you just missed the mark it seems.

DTKT

Well, the market is going to be slightly flooded once the beta ends. Plus, beyond the profile stuff, there is no way to spend your cards. The prices should go down? Or maybe more users means more users looking to buy game, which wil mean that demand will outstript supply which will open the steam trading card gold rush of 2013.

Um, are Press accounts no longer given out? Valve employees no longer have every game and many of those on my friends list that had thousands of games (press account) have a fraction of what they use to have.

JaseC

220240_2013-06-26_0007cs3h.jpg

I'm glad that's over with.

DTKT

Um, are Press accounts no longer given out? Valve employees no longer have every game and many of those on my friends list that had thousands of games (press account) have a fraction of what they use to have.

I remember a Valve employee talking about Valve steam accounts not counting as "owned" games anymore. They are still there, just not calculated in the total games.

Also, Far Cry 3 is a terrible game. It's mechanically poor, set in an empty world and everyone is dumb as a brick.

JaseC

The tally now only includes games you've actually bought/redeemed. Press and Employee subs still exist, and if you click through to, say, a Valve employee's actual game list, you'll see that they're all still there.

Edit: Beaten.

JaseC

What ever happened to that stupid kid who won all the games on the System?

Would his account get perpetually updated with new games?

He probably just sold it for more pot money, didn't he?

I wouldn't think the actual Steam Master sub was added to his account, but rather he was just given all the individual subs included therein at the time.

zkylon

zkylewd

gotta keep sucking dat ubijuice dry

I sold like 30 Steam cards today for $15 total. Is this a bad idea? I hope not
I think that was kind of the best idea, cards are bound to go worthless anytime soon, so why not get a couple free games out of it.

I got like 30 bucks off old games I never play anymore (and a couple new ones I'm glad I tried)

JaseC

I'm glad I left the DLC missions 'til last, because while the Lost Expedition ones were terrible (enter abandoned compound -> run and shoot for five minutes -> fin), and the Uplay mission was literally nothing than wandering through a cramped, abandoned test lab with the occasional dog or snake to deal with, the Monkey See, Monkey Boom/Hurk missions were more along the lines of what you see in the main campaign.

Salsa

I played the DLC I got with the pre-order and enjoyed the monkey stuff but getting 100% in that game seems like a boring nightmare

zkylon

zkylewd
ok so this is my summer sale wishlist:
* dynamite jack
* mars: war logs
* starseed pilgrim
* monaco
* la-mulana
* gunpoint
* the swapper

I'm hoping to get almost all of that for under 30 bucks :D

iavi

ok so this is my summer sale wishlist:
* dynamite jack
* mars: war logs
* starseed pilgrim
* monaco
* la-mulana
* gunpoint
* the swapper

I'm hoping to get almost all of that for under 30 bucks :D

Mine is almost the exact same, aside from Gunpoint and Monaco which I already own, and I'd add both Deponias and Last Light.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom