• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok so this is my summer sale wishlist:
* dynamite jack
* mars: war logs
* starseed pilgrim
* monaco
* la-mulana
* gunpoint
* the swapper

I'm hoping to get almost all of that for under 30 bucks :D

I really want Dust, the 3 Legacy of Kain games, and the DLC for skyrim and fallout NV. Anything on top of that is just icing on the cake.

Kinda hooked on FTL. It's so simple, quite random but still very satisfying and you constantly have a feeling that you are progressing even when you get into a 5 Mantis attack in asteroid burning sun ion storm.

Also started playing Thomas Was Alone. Shouldn't this have cards? I really like the narrative and overall style but the actual gameplay is kinda frustrating (my PS3 controller didn't work with it so I have to use keyboard). But this and Portal 2 made me certain that every game should be narrated by a man with british accent

Skirn

I'll probably only grab Alpha Protocol and Shogun - Fall of the Samurai if they'll be on sale... bought a whole lot of games last summer (many of which I haven't even finished!).

Also, could I get an invite to the Steam NeoGAF group? Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/skirn-

Edit: Thanks, applebutts (a Steam user, not you guys). :lol

Acorn

Completed Deadpool. I enjoyed it, there was a few bits that were genuinely funny.

Worth the stupid £30 I paid? No, but a solid £10ish purchase.

zkylon

zkylewd
I dunno how low you'll see The Swapper go, but at least you could make a buck or two back on Monaco depending on the card market.
yeah I think lower than 10 will be a stretch, but that's ok

I really want Dust, the 3 Legacy of Kain games, and the DLC for skyrim and fallout NV. Anything on top of that is just icing on the cake.
the legacy of kain games are kinda weird, I played 1 for a while and initially it's really cool but eventually it drags on and you start realizing you're not gonna survive another block puzzle with your sanity intact with your life.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
I should get Alpha Protocol in a sale someday, forgot all about that game. Sounds great. :)
That's NYC lol.

I wouldn't be surprised if New Visions changed it.
....what a fail.

But, uh, yeah that's what I meant. It was already late when I posted that. :p

cicero

ok so this is my summer sale wishlist:
* dynamite jack
* mars: war logs
* starseed pilgrim
* monaco
* la-mulana
* gunpoint
* the swapper

I'm hoping to get almost all of that for under 30 bucks :D

Dynamite Jack was just in the Groupees Build a Bundle 6 that just ended like 40 minutes ago. They even lowered the buy minimum to 1 game, so you could have bought it for $.75. I am surprised that no one else mentioned it...

Also, Far Cry 3 is a terrible game. It's mechanically poor, set in an empty world and everyone is dumb as a brick.

That was almost Ubisoft''s trademark this generation, I'm hoping it doesn't carry over to next-gen with how good Watchdogs & The Division appear.

zkylon

zkylewd
he did use the email tag, the incorrect way :)
maybe he wants lurkers to not feel bad about not being able to read email tags

Dynamite Jack was just in the Groupees Build a Bundle 6 that just ended like 40 minutes ago. They even lowered the buy minimum to 1 game, so you could have bought it for $.75. I am surprised that no one else mentioned it...

eh I don't pay that much attention to sales outside of steam

too much hassle

milenko79

Neo Member
Friendly tips: The correct way to use the email tag:

[ email=steam code here ][ /email]
Without spaces

thanks,

was busy at work, so i couldn't look it up.
I'll remember for next time.

But hey, free keys are always good right, Even with incorrect tags. Lurkers be happy. (I'm a lurker myself, I just post to give you keys sometimes, so I consider myself a good lurker, if such a thing exists).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
damn... I would never do that

I'd say AssCreed 3 was the worse game to 100% due to the few fast travel points in the Frontier, not to mention the snow slows you down tremendously. That said, Far Cry 3 suffers from becoming incredibly boring once you've maxed out your character as almost all of its systems are designed to reward you with XP, which becomes worthless soon after reaching the second island -- suddenly you have no reason to, say, approach an outpost stealthily or opt for headshots, plus, since the game throws money at you yet imposes a limit on the amount you can carry, looting becomes not only discouraged but also something to actively avoid. Additionally, since clearing an outpost renders a region safe, there are no emergent combat situations with the enemy to keep on your toes when traversing the world. It's simply a horribly-designed, utterly dull game.

Tak3n

Banned
Castle Storm is up on Steam for preorder £6.29

anyone got any opinions, it looks very good, but we all know the pitfalls of something that looks good

Edit- I see it is a XBLA game, that is getting ok reviews

I'd say AssCreed 3 was the worse game to 100% due to the few fast travel points in the Frontier, not to mention the snow slows you down tremendously. That said, Far Cry 3 suffers from becoming incredibly boring once you've maxed out your character as almost all of its systems are designed to reward you with XP, which becomes worthless soon after reaching the second island -- suddenly you have no reason to, say, approach an outpost stealthily or opt for headshots, plus, since the game throws money at you yet imposes a limit on the amount you can carry, looting becomes not only discouraged but also something to actively avoid. Additionally, since clearing an outpost renders a region safe, there are no emergent combat situations with the enemy to keep on your toes when traversing the world. It's simply a horribly-designed, utterly dull game.

I found the second island more fun than the first precisely because I stopped needing to care about maximizing xp gain from outposts. Earlier I'd just take a silenced sniper rifle and try to clear an outpost in complete stealth. On the second island I went in all guns blazing and actually ended up using things like C4, mines and all other weapons that had hitherto been unused. The combat is a lot more entertaining and free flowing when you keep running around shooting people or executing them with those finishing moves all the while being shot at by reinforcement helicopters and what not.

There's a mod that repopulates outposts after you clear them too.

JaseC

I found the second island more fun than the first precisely because I stopped needing to care about maximizing xp gain from outposts. Earlier I'd just take a silenced sniper rifle and try to clear an outpost in complete stealth. On the second island I went in all guns blazing and actually ended up using things like C4, mines and all other weapons that had hitherto been unused. The combat is a lot more entertaining and free flowing when you keep running around shooting people or executing them with those finishing moves all the while being shot at by reinforcement helicopters and what not.

I found the actual FPS component of the game to be more on the dull side: aside from the larger machine guns, the weapons don't have much oomph to them (the shotguns in particular aren't very exciting to use) and the enemy hit reactions are decidedly limited. Throwing around explosives would be great if the world were more reactive rather than chiefly static -- even Crysis is better in this regard.

Chronoja

1: I find this humourous, that after all the complaints about Far Cry 2's respawning enemies, Far Cry 3 is being modded to get enemies to respawn. (obviously it has been a case of over reaction to a given problem on the developers part)

2: Did I not read that they were patching in enemy respawns after a period of time? I haven't played the game yet but unless I'm imagining things a mod for it shouldn't be necessary.
edit: googling the answer, they apparently gave you the *ability* to reset outposts, not have them respawn naturally over time (source)

Milamber

2: Did I not read that they were patching in enemy respawns after a period of time? I haven't played the game yet but unless I'm imagining things a mod for it shouldn't be necessary.

If that is true, I better get back to finishing that damned game before the patch is live then.

There was a thread overnight. Basically the patch screwed up everyone's game to the Korean language version. Madness ensued and hearts were broken amongst the easily hyped.

tumblr_lv2nsheee31qfyq03o1_500.gif

Xanathus

If that is true, I better get back to finishing that damned game before the patch is live then.
Ugh at all the misinformation going on about Far Cry 3, they have already patched it in and what it does is give you a menu *option* to repopulate all of the enemy outposts and let you take them over again.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Then why did you do it? Why did you 100% those games?

Also, isn't that an old avatar?

I found the actual FPS component of the game to be more on the dull side: aside from the larger machine guns, the weapons don't have much oomph to them (the shotguns in particular aren't very exciting to use) and the enemy hit reactions are decidedly limited. Throwing around explosives would be great if the world were more reactive rather than chiefly static -- even Crysis is better in this regard.

Even Crysis is hardly a fair comparison when explosives would affect pretty much any object in that game :p

I will agree that the combat lacked the punch that a game like Rage had for example, but the variety and flow kept it entertaining for me.

In a way I feel it was a bit like Dishonored in that many (most?) players made liberal use of stealth and never got to experience the full range and variety of combat that the game offers. Now it's not actually practical to play the entire game that way given how much mana you'd use up, but you get my point.

JaseC

Jase, I don't know how to tell you but it appears Saoirse has been assimilated by the borg.

I'm sorry :(

This was actually the very first Saoirse avatar I made. ;)

1: I find this humourous, that after all the complaints about Far Cry 2's respawning enemies, Far Cry 3 is being modded to get enemies to respawn. (obviously it has been a case of over reaction to a given problem on the developers part)

The problem I had with Far Cry 2's respawning outposts was not that they respawned, but rather they respawned far too quickly, complete with guards that sported pinpoint accuracy and were almost relentless in their pursuit. As is typical of Ubi games, instead of finding a balance, the issue was fixed by going too far in the opposite direction.

Ugh at all the misinformation going on about Far Cry 3, they have already patched it in and what it does is give you a menu *option* to repopulate all of the enemy outposts and let you take them over again.

Ubi patching in features is a nice surprise, but that does little to help as the nearby region is again completely safe once you've reclaimed an outpost.

Even Crysis is hardly a fair comparison when explosives would affect pretty much any object in that game :p

It'd been five years by the time Far Cry 3 released. Progress, Ubi! Progress! :p

I will agree that the combat lacked the punch that a game like Rage had for example, but the variety and flow kept it entertaining for me.

In a way I feel it was a bit like Dishonored in that many (most?) players made liberal use of stealth and never got to experience the full range and variety of combat that the game offers. Now it's not actually practical to play the entire game that way given how much mana you'd use up, but you get my point.

I opted for a stealth run through Dishonored simply so that I could have some good, old-fashioned fun the second time around. Best to get the lesser experience out of the way first. I say.

cicero

so guys, though I guess this has been already asked many times before, when is the steam summer seal supposed to start?
If you know it has been asked many times before, then you probably have seen the typical response by now. Not to mention the simple fact that as always, Steam sales are not set in stone, especially Summer Sales. There would be obvious chatter about it if anyone knew.

Kabouter

Yeah, and this sort of overreaction happens a ton. Like Bioware responding to complaints about aspects of planetary exploration in Mass Effect 1 by removing it completely in the sequel. When players complain about a certain aspect of a game, that's a good time to re-examine the workings of it, not to throw it out completely without considering things first. Presumably there was a reason for including the feature in the first place.

derExperte

You really should play Risen then. You can so easily fail quests and if you rob someones house they actually remember you and will hunt you down.

And you really should play AP longer. Risen is awesome in it's own way but nowhere near Protocol when it comes to choices that matter in the long run, while you have one when joining a faction the story never changes much. And comparing it with Walking Dead, yeah, you didn't see anything of what AP has in store for the player.

so guys, though I guess this has been already asked many times before, when is the steam summer seal supposed to start?

captureensys.jpg

JaseC

I'd probably jump on RE6 if I hadn't already played through it on the PS3 and realised how bad a game it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom