• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question: The tf2 cards have 2 separate entities on the market, "Game cards" and "Trading cards" what, if any is the difference between these? I'm assuming that trading cards are the new, post beta form and "game" were from before? The "Game" version of these cards are retaining a higher value than the trading variant. Edit: the tf2 cards I have from the beta are trading, so they must be the old kind.

Asked the same thing a while ago. Honestly think it's just some error with the beta/non beta cards.

Also, just got my first foil(Edgar) and sold it for $5.00. Feelsgoodman

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Awwww yisss.

Finally sold all my Super Meat Boy and Binding of Isaac cards.
In the end I sold Isaac's cards for 20cent, but who cares.

Now I have Magicka and Psychonauts... They go away for cheap, I think I'll craft them.

Caerith

Now that cards are done,wonder what valve will work on next for the client.
I hope it's converting stuff to the new content system before you decide to play the game. If they can download updates in the background, why can't they convert my game in the background?

I'd also hope they make the client capable of multitasking, so when you are waiting for stuff to update to the new content system you don't get ding ding ding whenever you try to do anything else (like, say, using my friend list).

wilflare

this trading card meta-game... can get too interesting for my own good.
I have yet to craft a single badge yet i'm selling all those cards for free market...

are the market prices really gonna crash?

I hope it's converting stuff to the new content system before you decide to play the game. If they can download updates in the background, why can't they convert my game in the background?

I'd also hope they make the client capable of multitasking, so when you are waiting for stuff to update to the new content system you don't get ding ding ding whenever you try to do anything else (like, say, using my friend list).
I keep heating about the converting stuff? Can you elaborate on that? What is the advantage of that?

Salsa

after the beta participation badge:

ib0PmhbYUQKvV0.PNG

see dammit this is why you cant care about this number

Caerith

I keep heating about the converting stuff? Can you elaborate on that? What is the advantage of that?
So... there's a new content system. I don't know what the advantage of it is, but it's mandatory. Every game on Steam is being converted to the new content system, and if your files are on the old content system then you can't play your game until it's been converted to the new content system. You only find out if a game needs to be converted when you try to play it, though.

Edit: Also, it can take a long time for a game to update. Psychonauts has been updating for 20 minutes so far and is only at 33%. 20 minutes of not being able to do anything in Steam, because the update locks the entire program and all you hear is an annoying ding ding ding if you try to do anything.

ib0PmhbYUQKvV0.PNG

You get +1xp on your game purchase badge for every new game you buy.

So... you know what to do.

Edit: Also, it can take a long time for a game to update. Psychonauts has been updating for 20 minutes so far and is only at 33%. 20 minutes of not being able to do anything in Steam, because the update locks the entire program and all you hear is an annoying ding ding ding if you try to do anything.

No imagine if this happened when you were doing something else. Your pc suddenly got slow and your hard drive started thrashing and perhaps it affected performance of a game you're playing. That's why they don't do it in the background.

cicero

I bought 7 tradingcard and 2 tradingcardfoil emotes for about $2.50. I'm sure I will be able to at least make the money back. They can only get more rare.

Honestly, I don't think you are going to even get your money back. They aren't going to get more rare. There are thousands of them around, and if demand actually spiked up for them, other people who were keeping them would sell their copies to get in on the money, expanding the available copies and driving the prices back down. You speculated and are likely to have gotten it wrong. Join the club.

Caerith

No imagine if this happened when you were doing something else. Your pc suddenly got slow and your hard drive started thrashing and perhaps it affected performance of a game you're playing. That's why they don't do it in the background.
Updates and patches don't lock Steam up, and this is not fundamentally different from an update. I have the option of installing updates while I play other games (and the option not to, if it affects performance), but this update doesn't give me any options at all.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

ib0PmhbYUQKvV0.PNG

I'll forever be no less than 2 XP away from the next level because Valve thought it'd be a good idea to include a new release with a $40 base price in the Winter Sale 2011 meta-game. :(

Chronoja

I'll forever be no less than 2 XP away from the next level because Valve thought it'd be a good idea to include a new release with a $40 base price in the Winter Sale 2011 meta-game. :(

but you get XP for every single game you buy (as was mentioned previously). Of all people that shouldn't exactly be a problem for you. 2 games = XP balanced.

Chronoja

I like the way you think.

Years into the future, valve succumb to financial pressures and steam slowly dies away. no new games or badges or cards will ever be put on the system again. JaseC has bought and gained all XP possible. 2xp short of max level. Eternal torment.

but you get XP for every single game you buy (as was mentioned previously). Of all people that shouldn't exactly be a problem for you. 2 games = XP balanced.

Bullshit.

She can never get those 2 lost XP back. The sale is over.

It is 2013, not 2011.

Stop feeding Cersei Ronan lies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Years into the future, valve succumb to financial pressures and steam slowly dies away. no new games or badges or cards will ever be put on the system again. JaseC has bought and gained all XP possible. 2xp short of max level. Eternal torment.

nopej3d36.gif

KingKong

Pro tip for multi-game SAM idling: you always get one drop per game even with multiple windows open so after you do you can just turn Steam off and back on, open your SAM windows again and you'll get another. Probably faster than just leaving one game open if you've got 3-4

KarmaCow

Is there an alternative to the this controller prompt mod for Psychonauts? I've tried applying it twice now and it doesn't seem to take. I remember just copying over files when I first applied the patch a while back instead of this installer business.

FYC

Banned
Aww man, I just need 3 more of my cards to sell so I can afford DLC Quest :lol

Come on Market, time is running out!

Grief.exe

oops I accidentally left Psychonauts running while I had dinner with the gf and my family.

I've never just idled to that extent before.

I apologize in advance for what may be a silly question. I knew close to nothing about Dota 2 and realized I supposedly owned it and fired it up, only to see a Spectator Edition. At first I couldn't do anything with it and then the other day it let me go through a short tutorial and then cut me off again. What gives?

Uriah

I apologize in advance for what may be a silly question. I knew close to nothing about Dota 2 and realized I supposedly owned it and fired it up, only to see a Spectator Edition. At first I couldn't do anything with it and then the other day it let me go through a short tutorial and then cut me off again. What gives?

You need an invite to the Beta

jph139

Still no foils, boosters, etc.

Crafted an uncommon background that's about it.

I got a booster and crafted a rare emoticon... unfortunately it's from Faerie Solitaire. Still selling for a buck.

Anyways, TF2 just updated with a new item (Summer Claim Check) which strikes me as a very "Summer Sale" sort of item. Not entirely sure what time frame it'd point to, though... feels later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom