• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
You can redeem your Steam keys for Witcher 1 and 2 on GOG for a DRM free copy of the game.

I know this is mostly a joke, but people still don't know that little fact

One day they'll make good on their promise to take those pages down.

Then you'll have nothing.

NOTHING!

I would wait the other way around, if you buy both games on steam, you can redeem those keys on GOG as well, keeping the bonus content as well.

Remember: No Steam keys on GOG purchases.

But you can redeem Steam keys for GOG copies of the game.

Nice to hear that. Then im gonna wait a few months.

You won't regret this.

Im sure i wont. But Steam + GOG sounds better in my oppinion.

Oh god. Its so damn funny that this happens.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
This is how I wished Uplay worked.

Steam versions activate on Uplay, but versions bought through Uplay, GMG, and Amazon do not activate on Steam.

Do not launch the Uplay client from a game purchased through Steam, that version is standalone.

I just wish Uplay (and origin, for that matter) didn't exist.

Nice to hear that. Then im gonna wait a few months.

Im sure i wont. But Steam + GOG sounds better in my oppinion.

But... the game is already on sale on Steam? Like, right now. Both of them are 75% off.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Valve is a publisher in its own right, so its hard to call them an independent developer at this point. Yes, they happen to be independent, but that is because they control the entire production.

Valve is a distributor more than a publisher -- it doesn't fund third-party games. The term "indie" has become clouded as it's both an adjective and a genre at this point.

This is how I wished Uplay worked.

Steam versions activate on Uplay, but versions bought through Uplay, GMG, and Amazon do not activate on Steam.

Do not launch the Uplay client from a game purchased through Steam, that version is standalone.

A couple of points:

1) Amazon in particular does offer Steam keys for AssCreed 3 and Far Cry 3
2) Steam Uplay titles are now tethered to your general Uplay library, but, yes, Uplay games run via Steam launch only individualised instances of the Uplay client

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
My theory as far why people aren't comfortable referring to Valve as an indie developer is that there is another aspect of the term "indie" (the version that gets bandied around and isn't necessarily part of the formal definition) that implies games that are a bit non-traditional.

The only franchise from Valve that fits that criteria is Portal. The rest are pretty vanilla AAA staple genres.

Yeah, that's definitely part of it. Also, when they do release games they're huge. L4D had an advertising budget that could have funded a thousand indie games.

But Origin let's you return any EA game. Think about how often you'd take advantage of that if Valve did the same.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
http://steamdb.info/app/229330/

Steam Sub 61 update was 16 minutes ago. I wonder what that means.

I'm pretty sure that Steam Sub 61 is the subscription granted to Valve employees.

eiGY9Yq.png

Grief.exe

A couple of points:

1) Amazon in particular does offer Steam keys for AssCreed 3 and Far Cry 3
2) Steam Uplay titles are now tethered to your general Uplay library, but, yes, Uplay games run via Steam launch only individualised instances of the Uplay client

Those keys aren't Steamworks, that is because Amazon was able to fanangle some way to get Steam keys for certain titles.

Kind of an extenuating circumstance rather than a rule.

To unlock that I would have to put a lot more time into this game. Won't happen. I have a headache and after around the 75th try beat that damn level. The end.

Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures Preorder: http://store.steampowered.com/app/237740/

Believe me. After you beat the really last level you feel incredible satisfied. Because the last level (where you are chasing the bad guy) isnt even really hard and the end of it is just "That's it?".

To AVGNA : That price... ugh.

Dolor

This looks awesome. Im so interested in playing Witcher 1 and 2. But i havent done it yet. Should i buy it in the next sale?

Both Witchers (even the first) are in my top 10 all time RPGs. Witcher 2 is vying for the top spot, so yes, play them.

Everyone will be busy playing it.

I will if GetGamesGo ever gives me my darn download key.

I would support this move.

Or this one.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Damn Valve just made a shit load of tweaks to a bunch of the classic maps in CS:GO. Time for a Counter-Strike rage session.

Also the main menu isn't cut off in 2.35 anymore swagggggggggggggggg

JaseC

Those keys aren't Steamworks, that is because Amazon was able to fanangle some way to get Steam keys for certain titles.

Kind of an extenuating circumstance rather than a rule.

Yes, but what you said is that Uplay games purchased from third-party retailers "do not activate on Steam"; I was just pointing out that there are a couple of exceptions to this rule.

Damn Valve just made a shit load of tweaks to a bunch of the classic maps in CS:GO. Time for a Counter-Strike rage session.

Also the main menu isn't cut off in 2.35 anymore swagggggggggggggggg

Is cs_siege in yet?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Good news for Firefox Enhanced Steam users. Mozilla just approved version 4.0 which fixes a few bugs, adds a few new features, and adds a few more options. :)

Copons

A little LTTP for the indie discussion, but hey.

I think as long as a dev retain its full creative liberty and aren't owned by a major, well, it's an indie dev.

If and when they use a publisher to promote and spread their games, it's just a mean to sell more and it's -obviously - perfectly fine and shouldn't change the fact that they're still independent.

Wonder how much that complete steam library would cost

Be cool if you could buy it and get every new game released afterwards for free like a steam ultimate lifetime pass lol

JaseC

Wonder how much that complete steam library would cost

Be cool if you could buy it and get every new game released afterwards for free like a steam ultimate lifetime pass lol

Does anybody remember who won the Winter Sale 2011 grand prize of every game on Steam? I wonder if he was given the sub or Valve just individually added to his account everything that had been released by that point.

Edit: Apparently, this guy won the prize and he "only" has ~1500 games.

At least they've been nice enough not to kick her out of the Valve group!

Shh, you'll blow her cover. :p

Grief.exe

If I do have one complaint with F.E.A.R. it is the environments stick around for too long.

I have been running around Armachair corporate offices for about 3 hours now.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
If I do have one complaint with F.E.A.R. it is the environments stick around for too long.

Every warehouse looks the same. I have never seen so much concrete in my life. That texture set got one hell of a workout.

nexen

FEAR radically overstays its welcome.

FEAR2 was much shorter and much more varied, though the gunplay was worse.

Teknoman

Strange...somehow XCOM Enemy Unknown uninstalled itself?

Dunno if its because I already had the game, used a key that was supposed to be for the collection via GMG, and turned out to be just for Enemy Unknown (dont think Steam would let you redeem a key for something you already own). After GMG fixed the mistake, I gave the extra key for Enemy Unknown to someone on GAF...so hopefully that doesnt screw up my install.

Anyone ever have a similar problem happen to them? Unless Steam just tried to redownload Enemy Unknown after redeeming an XCOM collection key (included Unknown and the 2 DLC). I thought it would've just added something to my gift inventory if anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom