• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Spotflux break my Laptop. Try FlyVPN instead.

An older build had issues with certain network adapters that caused them to not return to their normal state when uninstalling Spotflux, but that's since been fixed.

Edit: Since he won't be using the VPN with Steam, TunnelBear is also free and easy to use, although it requires an account and free ones are limited to 500MB of data a month.

garath

After seeing the Lord of Shadows 2 gameplay trailer, I'm sold on Lord of Shadows on the PC. Going to pre-order it tomorrow. Amazing how that works. Second game selling me on the first lol.

Still haven't gotten a drop in CSGO in the last 10 hours or so I've put in. Feels bad :(

Copons

Awesome, do you have a source?

If you mean a source confirming the bug... I am. :D
I work with a bunch of Steam functions and this bug completely fucked up one of my databases, importing a huge quantity of useless stuff.
Also, if you check Library in Enhanced Steam, it should be pretty clear (like, I have AMD Driver Updates in my game list...).

Instead, if you mean a source confirming that Valve knows about the bug, well, it was told to me in a private conversation by an ultra reliable guy. Don't know if I'm supposed to say stuff, but he reads this thread so if he want he can confirm it. :)

EDIT: it seems the "ultra reliable guy" stepped in this thread some post later. :D

Sini

Valve fucked up something during last maintenance and F2P games (and demo, mods, and whatever) now behave weirdly. AFAIK they are aware of this problem, so it shouldn't take that long to fix it.
Steam Completionist site is fucked as well thanks to that. It now shows that you "own" all free to play games and demos making the site very inconvenient to use.
SC developer said this to me:
As for the main issue with listing free to play games on Steam, that
must be a bug. I have not changed the code, so I can only assume that
Steam changed what information their API provides to me. I will look
into it and change it back ASAP - free to play games are only supposed
to show up after you have played them. So... I'm sorry for the
inconvenince, I assure you that it isn't a intentional change and I
will do what is necessary to get it fixed. Thank you for bringing it
to my attention!

Copons

Steam Completionist site is fucked as well thanks to that. It now shows that you "own" all free to play games and demos making the site very inconvenient to use.

Yeah, that's exactly what happened to me.

Don't know about them, but as I'm still in early development (and also I kinda trusted Valve, you know...), I haven't created a failsafe to respond to stuff like this one.
At least I had a perfectly up to date backup database, so my work isn't totally screwed, but I'm benched until they fix it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

This is kind of the same response I've been giving people about the Enhanced Steam "Library" which now shows all F2P games, demos, and driver update packages.

I've reached out to my contacts at Valve and they've confirmed that it's a bug and they're looking into it.

Instead, if you mean a source confirming that Valve knows about the bug, well, it was told to me in a private conversation by an ultra reliable guy. Don't know if I'm supposed to say stuff, but he reads this thread so if he want he can confirm it. :)

:)

Turfster

X-series bundle in a few hours to expect?

Pretty sure the X bundle will be a main one lasting 2 weeks (as far as I remember, we knew of 3? bundles), so the earliest possible is next week. Since X Rebirth is november, I'm not entirely sure it'll be then either.

hitoshi

I think you're wrong. As far as I can remeber (except once when they completely skipped 1+ week), weeklies change seamlessly.

Great, sorry about that!

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Space Trader -- MB-ACD56FB584892BE7 - Taken by Eanan

Firebrand

So, I finally got around to playing Weird Worlds, since someone asked earlier in the thread..

It has Roguelike elements (randomized worlds, expect to die, etc) but in a weird way it's also geared toward casual gameplay. It's a short game, but it's fun and random to try and top your previous scores, so there's that.

3 styles of gameplay (exploration, military, pirate).. different styles of ships that can be customized as you trade/buy/find new equipment.

Random events like black holes appearing, stars going supernova requiring you to escape, etc. Honestly I've avoided combat for the most part so far, as I died more often than not.

The menu has an option to simulate combat between 4 races and fleets.

Here's how my last two games went:

- Explored the galaxy, rescued a guy who joined his ship with my fleet. Went into enemy territory and was warned off. Fled to a nebula slowing my progress. System I arrived in started to go supernova - thankfully it warned me letting me flee before the explosion reached my ship. Traded with a species, found some random equipment and aliens on a planet. Went home to complete my ten year mission.

- Found a derelict ship and approached it. As soon as I got close, it unleashed unholy hell and destroyed my ship
Thanks for your impressions, might pick this up when it's on sale next time. Got a bit interested in it after playing FTL.

Slyjss

At least I hope! I can't stand anymore to get PewDiePie face everytime I check HBW page.
I don't know who he is, but he totally looks like a super annoying guy I know.

Well, he's a super annoying guy, so you can hate him like he's that guy you know.

Addnan

Anyone here pre purchase anything directly through uplay before? I got Splinter Cell with a Nvidia code thing a while ago have the confirmation email and everything but its not in my library of games. Game launches in just over 6 hours..

So, I finally got around to playing Weird Worlds, since someone asked earlier in the thread..

It has Roguelike elements (randomized worlds, expect to die, etc) but in a weird way it's also geared toward casual gameplay. It's a short game, but it's fun and random to try and top your previous scores, so there's that.

3 styles of gameplay (exploration, military, pirate).. different styles of ships that can be customized as you trade/buy/find new equipment.

Random events like black holes appearing, stars going supernova requiring you to escape, etc. Honestly I've avoided combat for the most part so far, as I died more often than not.

The menu has an option to simulate combat between 4 races and fleets.

Here's how my last two games went:

- Explored the galaxy, rescued a guy who joined his ship with my fleet. Went into enemy territory and was warned off. Fled to a nebula slowing my progress. System I arrived in started to go supernova - thankfully it warned me letting me flee before the explosion reached my ship. Traded with a species, found some random equipment and aliens on a planet. Went home to complete my ten year mission.

- Found a derelict ship and approached it. As soon as I got close, it unleashed unholy hell and destroyed my ship

I didn't know this game but after reading your impressions I went to check and now I'm interested, my wishlist keeps growing. :0

FloatOn

So it's kind of slow at work today and I was thinking about the Sony GC show... I've almost made a thread on this a couple of times but I guess here is a pretty good place to discuss it since Steam is home to many indie games.

Do you people feel it's kind of exploitative of indie games to be used as a console selling point?

It's like these big corporate entities finally realized that indie games are marketable.

On the one hand I'm really glad indies are getting the money and the recognition they deserve but on the other I hate that these companies are using indies to give them a kind of street cred. "hey look, we're putting gamers first" seems kind of disingenuous to me.

Addnan

So it's kind of slow at work today and I was thinking about the Sony GC show... I've almost made a thread on this a couple of times but I guess here is a pretty good place to discuss it since Steam is home to many indie games.

Do you people feel it's kind of exploitative of indie games to be used as a console selling point?

It's like these big corporate entities finally realized that indie games are marketable.

On the one hand I'm really glad indies are getting the money and the recognition they deserve but on the other I hate that these companies are using indies to give them a kind of street cred. "hey look, we're putting gamers first" seems kind of disingenuous to me.

Eh, they both win. Indies will get more exposure and it makes Sony look good for helping the little guy. I'm a little pissed we have to wait a month for all these games.

Copons

I was thinking something like that too.

The thing I couldn't understand is indie games promoted as "exclusive" (timed or not) for a platform.
While it's relatively fine whit major devs, indie ones should try to reach most audience as possible, instead of closing their works to a limited set of players.

Also, it sounds a bit weird, thinking about how indie, with bundles and Steam, almost alone accomplished to open gaming world to Mac and eventually to Linux.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

I guess it doesn't bother me, since Valve has been using this exact same marketing tactic for the last few years. They've had a few "Indie" themed sales, their own "indie bundles" and whatnot as a way to push their own platform forward.

Sony is just following suit because they know it works.

I think at this point it is just trying to overpower the gamer's mind with the simple fact that there is a vast quantity of available titles on their system as opposed to using it as a selling point.

I mean it IS a selling point but you know what I mean.

HoosTrax

Eh, Sony's a business and doing what comes naturally.

Blame the sellout "indie developers" who trade on the "indie" moniker for its hipster chic connotations while at the same time endorsing the same bullshit platform exclusive crap.

I don't like third party exclusives, seriously, fuck them. And I thought Indie meant "Independent", getting paid for royalties is pretty much like getting funded by major publishers.

jshackles

I don't like third party exclusives, seriously, fuck them. And I thought Indie meant "Independent", getting paid for royalties is pretty much like getting funded by major publishers.

Good point. If you have an exclusivity deal with a major console manufacturer, are you still "Indie"?

Grief.exe

I just figured out that the phones in F.E.A.R. have answering machine messages and they act as the audio logs in other games that flesh out the story.

I'm halfway through the game and I've missed out on some of them.

HoosTrax

Good point. If you have an exclusivity deal with a major console manufacturer, are you still "Indie"?
There's got to be a better term for stuff that isn't AAA but isn't B-tier either. Indie gets thrown around way too much these days by PR hacks co-opting the term as a bullet point for selling games.

JaseC

I just figured out that the phones in F.E.A.R. have answering machine messages and they act as the audio logs in other games that flesh out the story.

Find Every Available Recording.

nexen

Eh, indie no longer means independent to me. It means 'not big budget'.
It is the new B (and below) tier of video games, since big publishers no longer seem interested in serving that portion of market demand.

Some really creepy shit on them, too, sometimes.

How are you liking the game so far?

Vecks

Just finished the master dungeon in Ittle Dew. Some really fun puzzles, nice visuals, occasionally funny writing. Gotta say I thoroughly enjoyed this game.

Yeah, Ittle Dew is a pretty good zelda-style. I find Ittle Dew more fun than anodyne, even if Ittle Dew seems smaller/shorter in comparison. It just feels really focused, to-the-point--like it just sends you from puzzle to puzzle.

So, no new games on the Origin Humble Bundle?

I know it wasn't listed on the steam db, but Crysis 1 + Warhead would be lovely to have on steam.

JaseC

So, no new games on the Origin Humble Bundle?

I know it wasn't listed on the steam db, but Crysis 1 + Warhead would be lovely to have on steam.

It's looking that way. I'm surprised EA hasn't just thrown in Origin/Steam keys for Dead Space 2 and Crysis + Crysis Warhead to fill the gaps.

GolazoDan

I just got a gaming PC and I'm a bit overwhelmed, guys. I've been living in the Mac Games section of Steam for years and the world just got a whole lot bigger, even though I have a 360 and PS3. HELP STEAMGAF I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO BEGIN MY ADVENTURES.

But it probably ends with Dota.

Sajjaja

I just got a gaming PC and I'm a bit overwhelmed, guys. I've been living in the Mac Games section of Steam for years and the world just got a whole lot bigger, even though I have a 360 and PS3. HELP STEAMGAF I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO BEGIN MY ADVENTURES.

But it probably ends with Dota.

DOTA is bes. dun play udder gaems, DOTA is bes.

JaseC

Valve is the world's most pure independent developer: literally every single one of its games has been self-funded.

(I'm joking, but the latter half is actually true.)

It's looking that way. I'm surprised EA hasn't just thrown in Origin/Steam keys for Dead Space 2 and Crysis + Crysis Warhead to fill the gaps.
Since the humble bundle was already so successful, EA might think there is no reason to add bonus games to encourage purchases. They already got what they want, to get people on Origin.

nexen

EA Corporate caught wind of the Origin Humble Bundle and put a stop to it. Then they laid off several hundred employees to offset lost potential full priced sales.

Grief.exe

Some really creepy shit on them, too, sometimes.

How are you liking the game so far?

Having a lot of fun with it. In my experience, intense, creepy games like this, are best played in smaller increments.

I play for half an hour or forty five minutes, then move onto something that is considerably lighter.

Those "indie" devs might as well sell themselves to publishers if they really wanted money that bad.

To be fair, Sony is probably the best alternative.

From what I understand, they don't take creative control from the developer and still allow them to create their game. I would have preferred if Chinese Room had done Pub Fund, so we could see this game on PC eventually.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
"Indie" is a hard term to reconcile.

On its face, it should be easy. Are your games made without the backing of another company? Many studios could claim that, then, especially for their early games.

What happens if you then take up with a publisher? What happens if you go back to independently financing and releasing your games?

Like, take Double Fine for example. They've released videogames on the PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360, and PS3 through partnerships with some of the biggest names in gaming. However, now they're committed to financing and releasing all of their own games. The term "indie" better applies to them than many of the people now on Sony's payroll after yesterday's announcements.

I guess you need to look at what their primary business is, even if it includes shacking up with publishers on occasion. Are they a wholly owned, separate entity that primarily finances and releases their own games? If so, I think that's enough to be classified as an "indie," however meaningless that may be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom