• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Valve is the world's most pure independent developer: literally every single one of its games has been self-funded.

(I'm joking, but the latter half is actually true.)

And the nice twist is that it was all made possible with Microsoft money. Unless i'm mistaken and the "Gabe left Microsoft with a bunch of money and funded Valve" is a lie. You know, like the cake.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Since the humble bundle was already so successful, EA might think there is no reason to add bonus games to encourage purchases. They already got what they want, to get people on Origin.

Alternative opinion: EA is just waiting on Valve to send through Steam keys for The Saboteur. :p

JaseC, since you seemed kinda interested... posted boardgame pictures:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=77737369&postcount=20

That looks neat. I hope the same attention to detail is paid when CDPR begins manufacturing Dice Poker sets. ;)

Fireblend

Banned
So it's kind of slow at work today and I was thinking about the Sony GC show... I've almost made a thread on this a couple of times but I guess here is a pretty good place to discuss it since Steam is home to many indie games.

Do you people feel it's kind of exploitative of indie games to be used as a console selling point?

It's like these big corporate entities finally realized that indie games are marketable.

On the one hand I'm really glad indies are getting the money and the recognition they deserve but on the other I hate that these companies are using indies to give them a kind of street cred. "hey look, we're putting gamers first" seems kind of disingenuous to me.

I dunno. On the one hand, exclusives suck, regardless of whether they're on PS4, Wii U, PC or Phantom, and regardless of whether they're indie or AAA.

For many indie devs though, this is their dream come true. Being able to distribute your own game to millions, being touted as a major selling point for a Sony/Nintendo/MSoft console is happening. Tell that to an indie developer from the PS2/GC era. Indies have always had this underdog feeling about them, and that's made people support them and get passionate and discover that indie games often offer something different and create this whole incredible culture within gaming.

But the thing is, they're starting to win. I remember getting excited as fuck when World of Goo and Audiosurf appeared on Steam. I couldn't believe that games that I'd seen made by indies and small teams were actually selling. Indie games for me were Cave Story, Warning Forever, the original Every Extend, Cho Ren Sha 68k, Frozen Bubble, etc. and to see the genre go from being an underground culture to being called GOTYs by major publications? It's not like I'm assuming I'm some kind of indie veteran, but you couldn't have convinced me in a million years that I'd see Sony showing that kind of games on E3 back then.

If anything, this is a consequence of that transition that started (I would say) years ago. The market is shifting, indie games are becoming more popular and recognized, and its inevitable that they're being absorbed into the big leagues and melding with concepts that we usually only associate with AAA games.

Fox318

Gamersgate are you kidding me?

I just received an email from them telling me that Bioshock Infinite has 67% off during this weekend. You would think "oh that's awesome" .. well not so much considering the price without any discount is, according to them, $79,95 ! o_O

Still is a very good price for a relatively new AAA game.

"Indie" is a hard term to reconcile.

On its face, it should be easy. Are your games made without the backing of another company? Many studios could claim that, then, especially for their early games.

What happens if you then take up with a publisher? What happens if you go back to independently financing and releasing your games?

Like, take Double Fine for example. They've released videogames on the PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360, and PS3 through partnerships with some of the biggest names in gaming. However, now they're committed to financing and releasing all of their own games. The term "indie" better applies to them than many of the people now on Sony's payroll after yesterday's announcements.

I guess you need to look at what their primary business is, even if it includes shacking up with publishers on occasion. Are they a wholly owned, separate entity that primarily finances and releases their own games? If so, I think that's enough to be classified as an "indie," however meaningless that may be.

I don't think that the "indie" term goes exactlly by what you said. If it would, then Valve would have to be considered a "indie" company

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I just got a gaming PC and I'm a bit overwhelmed, guys. I've been living in the Mac Games section of Steam for years and the world just got a whole lot bigger, even though I have a 360 and PS3. HELP STEAMGAF I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO BEGIN MY ADVENTURES.

But it probably ends with Dota.

Best advice: get in on the Humble Bundle and Groupees deals.

Right now Humble has (for the next hour) a "Weekly" deal that will net you Botanicula, McPixel, Thomas Was Alone, The Showdown Effect, and Amnesia all on Steam for about $3 (or more, if you want). They also have their regular deal featuring EA games with Steam keys for most for at least $1 donated.

Groupees has two deals going on: Be Mine 9 (6 Steam games for $5) and the Build a Merdian4 Bundle featuring about 20 Steam games for $0.75 each.

That should give you plenty to play for the next few weeks/years for less than $20.

Gamersgate are you kidding me?

I just received an email from them telling me that Bioshock Infinite has 67% off during this weekend. You would think "oh that's awesome" .. well not so much considering the price without any discount is, according to them, $79,95 ! o_O
Yeah I saw that too, and I was pretty sure it wasn't 79.95 before.

JaseC

And the nice twist is that it was all made possible with Microsoft money. Unless i'm mistaken and the "Gabe left Microsoft with a bunch of money and funded Valve" is a lie. You know, like the cake.

It's lie like the cake is lie.

Which is to say it isn't a lie.

It's looking that way. I'm surprised EA hasn't just thrown in Origin/Steam keys for Dead Space 2 and Crysis + Crysis Warhead to fill the gaps.
I know I wouldn't. The same for Dead Space 2. If the folks that bought the bundle like the games, they are much more likely to buy the others to fill that gap.

Dawg

That is incredible... but that said, I really hope they do that dice poker set complete with all wooden board. I would buy one so fast.

Alternative opinion: EA is just waiting on Valve to send through Steam keys for The Saboteur. :p

That looks neat. I hope the same attention to detail is paid when CDPR begins manufacturing Dice Poker sets. ;)

Yeah, they "liked" the idea but they weren't sure people would be interested in a "simple game" like that. Again, this was only the opinion from one dev. Not sure what the rest might think. Don't know if that person will tell them about it either :p

Then again, some CDPR devs read neogaf. They better read this!

derExperte

I would use stronger words but I don't want to get banned. So let's just say that whoever designed the last level where you try to catch the villain in Rayman Origins is not a nice person.

hitoshi

Holy shit, on the 6th picture there is my magazine cover!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I don't think that the "indie" term goes exactlly by what you said. If it would, then Valve would have to be considered a "indie" company

But Valve IS an independent company.

But I agree with you, the term "indie" has a different connotation these days. It usually means "my small team of 1-6 guys made this game with no help from publishers and it's now out please buy it or we'll die from hunger cause we wasted our life savings in it oh god"

Double Fine is turning into an independent company, funding their own projects and keeping total IP control. I wouldn't call them "Indie".

chronomac

Holy Hell, some of the platforming in Guacamelee is insane, I wont miss that tree level one bit!!

There are a couple moments at the end when
you're trying to get the last couple orbs
that are soul-crushing. Just really difficult stuff to master.

JaseC

I just got a gaming PC and I'm a bit overwhelmed, guys. I've been living in the Mac Games section of Steam for years and the world just got a whole lot bigger, even though I have a 360 and PS3. HELP STEAMGAF I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO BEGIN MY ADVENTURES.

Since we're approaching Q4, which is ridiculous in terms of sales, my advice is:

Step 1: Buy indie bundles as they're literally cheap as chips
Step 2: Buy any deals that are 75% off or greater as they're unlikely to be cheaper in the future
Step 3: Never play your games

There is a short Halloween Sale in October, but it's themed and so only games that fall under the horror/mystery banner are discounted. The next big sale is a month later in November and runs for about a week; the following month is the Winter Sale, which is the biggest sale of the year, running for about two weeks. Save your pennies for the former two if need be, as virtually everything is discounted.

Fox318

Look at http://isthereanydeal.com/, http://Cheapassgamer.com, and Enhanced Steam for all of your deals and always keep an eye out for bundles. Humble bundle, indiegala, and indiebundle always have good deals to get you collection bigger.

Its not really worth it to play games again from your consoles unless they have a huge mod community or significant performance improvement.

Alaso don't be like some of the people here and only buy it on steam. Gog is awesome and super easy to install and play. Desura is also getting better by the day and many indies release first on their store.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

Besides the money and influence, I don't see why they couldn't call themselves that. They don't routinely publisher or fund other people's games, so they aren't a publisher. They don't make a console, so they aren't a platform owner in a traditional sense.

More to the point: they make the games they want to make without any outside editorial controls.

(Mind you, I'm not advocating the application of the term "indie" for Valve, just that there isn't much of a good reason beyond "it just doesn't feel right.")

Snarky answer: Valve's primary business is not making games.

FloatOn

I dunno. On the one hand, exclusives suck, regardless of whether they're on PS4, Wii U, PC or Phantom, and regardless of whether they're indie or AAA.

For many indie devs though, this is their dream come true. Being able to distribute your own game to millions, being touted as a major selling point for a Sony/Nintendo/MSoft console is happening. Tell that to an indie developer from the PS2/GC era. Indies have always had this underdog feeling about them, and that's made people support them and get passionate and discover that indie games often offer something different and create this whole incredible culture within gaming.

But the thing is, they're starting to win. I remember getting excited as fuck when World of Goo and Audiosurf appeared on Steam. I couldn't believe that games that I'd seen made by indies and small teams were actually selling. Indie games for me were Cave Story, Warning Forever, the original Every Extend, Cho Ren Sha 68k, Frozen Bubble, etc. and to see the genre go from being an underground culture to being called GOTYs by major publications? It's not like I'm assuming I'm some kind of indie veteran, but you couldn't have convinced me in a million years that I'd see Sony showing that kind of games on E3 back then.

If anything, this is a consequence of that transition that started (I would say) years ago. The market is shifting, indie games are becoming more popular and recognized, and its inevitable that they're being absorbed into the big leagues and melding with concepts that we usually only associate with AAA games.

Yeah, I kind of fear for indies because of the influence their partners might have on them. I really hope they are left alone enough so that they are able to continue to do their own thing.

The second a turret sequence or QTE shows up in an "indie" game I'm going to quit gaming forever.

Idk if any of these are on mac, but I can suggest some cool games/

Trackmania 2 canyon : fast arcade (but with a great learning curve) racing game, looks brilliant, plays amazingly well, has a track editor and is endless fun

natural selection 2 : asynchronous (not a buzzword:p) competitive multiplayer game: sneaky aliens vs marines. The game is a hybrid between fps and RTS and each side plays very different.
Also looks really good and has a great soundtrack.
Full mod support, low price, get this!

Witcher 1 and 2, I assume you know what these are

Serious sam 3: arcade over the top fps game with great weapons and really fast movement speed, it's loads of fun and you can play it coop.

Dawn of war II : squad based RTS with no basebuilding, it has a good multiplayer mode as well, fun game

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I would use stronger words but I don't want to get banned. So let's just say that whoever designed the last level where you try to catch the villain in Rayman Origins is not a nice person.

I watched two firends play through that level on separate occasions and vowed never to purchase the game afterward.

I loved that level! the music, the insane jumps! :D
Man I'm going to hear this soundtrack now!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Can I launch it without opening Steam? Because, you know, they're really dedicated to DRM free releases.

You can redeem your Steam keys for Witcher 1 and 2 on GOG for a DRM free copy of the game.

I know this is mostly a joke, but people still don't know that little fact

HoosTrax

Besides the money and influence, I don't see why they couldn't call themselves that. They don't routinely publisher or fund other people's games, so they aren't a publisher. They don't make a console, so they aren't a platform owner in a traditional sense.

More to the point: they make the games they want to make without any outside editorial controls.

(Mind you, I'm not advocating the application of the term "indie" for Valve, just that there isn't much of a good reason beyond "it just doesn't feel right.")

Snarky answer: Valve's primary business is not making games.
My theory as far why people aren't comfortable referring to Valve as an indie developer is that there is another aspect of the term "indie" (the version that gets bandied around and isn't necessarily part of the formal definition) that implies games that are a bit non-traditional.

The only franchise from Valve that fits that criteria is Portal. The rest are pretty vanilla AAA staple genres.

Grief.exe

Valve is a publisher in its own right, so its hard to call them an independent developer at this point. Yes, they happen to be independent, but that is because they control the entire production.

Remember: No Steam keys on GOG purchases.

But you can redeem Steam keys for GOG copies of the game.

This is how I wished Uplay worked.

Steam versions activate on Uplay, but versions bought through Uplay, GMG, and Amazon do not activate on Steam.

Do not launch the Uplay client from a game purchased through Steam, that version is standalone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom