• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuroyume

Banned
If I preorder Pac-Man CE DX + now on Steam (releasing next month) and there's a discount between now and then do I get that discount? I wouldn't expect it if discount happened a few days after release but how do preorders work?

If I preorder Pac-Man CE DX + now on Steam (releasing next month) and there's a discount between now and then do I get that discount? I wouldn't expect it if discount happened a few days after release but how do preorders work?

The price is the price for steam preorders so you can order safely. It only tends to go up for regions like Australia when they realise they forgot to price gouge.

The bigger danger is another site getting the game and giving it to you cheaper. But there is not much you can do about that besides wait.

Kuroyume

Banned
Alright thanks. Think I'll just wait until a few days before since I want the DLC for free... Although, I suppose even if I get it from another site for cheap I wouldn't get the DLC then. Hmm

Does anyone think Steam should mandate the location of save files? I know there are complications with different operating systems but I really resent how my documents folder is strewn full of incoherent folders for individual games and even demos.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Does anyone think Steam should mandate the location of save files? I know there are complications with different operating systems but I really resent how my documents folder is strewn full of incoherent folders for individual games and even demos.

Most Steamworks games with Steam Cloud support store saves in the userdata folder. Mandating that games save there across the board would just annoy developers/publishers because the save system of their non-Steamworks titles would need to changed to meet the requirement.

I think requiring Steam Cloud would probably be easier than mandating where developers store their save files, although I will certainly agree that having to go to a search engine every time I need to locate a game's files is pretty annoying.

FloatOn

I agree on all points. SR4 just wants to be a game, nothing more. Pure unadulterated fun. Time just melts away, like he said. And I didn't even play Coop yet.

Oh man, half of my time spent yesterday was in co op. It makes collecting data clusters go by really quick and having a friend revive you is so much better than the homie system. Also worth noting is that if you play on anything but hardcore the game is far too easy

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Alright thanks. Think I'll just wait until a few days before since I want the DLC for free... Although, I suppose even if I get it from another site for cheap I wouldn't get the DLC then. Hmm
Not necessarily; it appears that the DLC is a general preorder exclusive rather than a Steam store exclusive. It's noted as being included on GMG and GG, for example.

I've just finished Spelunky without shortcuts on the daily challenge!

ASMnT3j.jpg

I agree on all points. SR4 just wants to be a game, nothing more. Pure unadulterated fun. Time just melts away, like he said. And I didn't even play Coop yet.

Yeah Saints Row 4 is pure fun, it's obvious the game was originally an expansion pack but that doesn't stop it from being great to play. Put like 6-7 hours into it yesterday without really noticing

Any opinions of Grotesque Tactics?

I'm tempted to get it just based on the name Dungeons and Donuts, buuut, I should probably find out if it's worth playing first.

Li Kao

MS would have no use steamworks on AoE if they had another gfwl incoming.

Don't know. At first I thought you were spot on but there is so much we can speculate.
Maybe AOE II is not so important for MS (after all wasn't it one of the original dev who carried the project), maybe it was seen as a goodwill move toward the PC crowd, etc...

If GFWL2 omega second strike plus is to be, it is evidently not even really a thing now, the question being will it be some time in the future ?
And hiring one of the guys who helped make steam what it is is logically raising some eyebrows. Hiring him for what if not for a new steam rival ? To shape up the MS mobile store ? To shape up the Xbox One store ? Possible. But I wouldn't go as far as saying GFWL is truly dead and there is no temptation to go for a second attempt at making money on the PC front.

And personally, I wouldn't even say it's a bad thing per se as long as MS really try this time, not the half-assed service that shouldn't even have seen the light of day.
If you want to shit on my lawn, please, at least make that a really nice shit.

omg_mjd

How's Dawn of War 2? The games are 75% off on getgames right now. Was thinking of just picking up Retribution since it's the latest and has Steamworks instead of GFWL. But I also hear that the earlier games have the better campaign storylines.

Turfster

Any opinions of Grotesque Tactics?

I'm tempted to get it just based on the name Dungeons and Donuts, buuut, I should probably find out if it's worth playing first.

The first one is kinda... meh. The humor is kinda hit or miss, and the gameplay is rather limited hack and slash. I've heard the second one is worse.

Guys, if you plan to get Electronic Super Joy, the dev site still has it for $4.99 and you get a Steam key along with the DRM-free version. But the price is going to be changed soon

HoosTrax

I can't believe how hard it is to try to change the FOV in Modern Warfare 2 singleplayer. It was so straightforward in CoD4. I might have to resort to using a hack, but I'd rather not risk getting VAC banned on account of Acti's stupidity.

Think of it more as a poor Halo clone.

Log into origin, start B4F. Log onto launcher, which launches the web client. Log into this and you are presented with the BF4 client starting. From here you can log into it to find a server to log on to.

The server is busy.
Log-ception!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Does anyone know if Battlefield 4 still uses Battlelog to start up the game?

Good thing too, because if they released on Steam and just let you launch the game directly from it, Steam would be getting in the way of the relationship between player and game. Phew.

JustinBB7

After I tried the Battlefield 3 beta, I moaned on twitter saying battlelog is shit. A Dice dev replied to me and was like: I'm sorry, what is wrong with it/how can I make it better.

The only real awnser is removing it and go on Steam, but telling him that wouldn't have helped much.

Phinor

I also had no problems with it and while hesitant at first, I ended up loving it.

I still don't have much faith in Battlelog. It's been in public use for over two years (including the semi-open alpha of BF3 back in July 2011) and the damn thing still doesn't save filters. Or rather, loses filter settings all the time. It's much like Steam losing shortcuts all the time, a simple problem that should have been fixed ages ago. I know Better Battlelog exists but it really shouldn't be needed considering how long DICE has been developing Battlelog.

Megasoum

Banned
Good thing too, because if they released on Steam and just let you launch the game directly from it, Steam would be getting in the way of the relationship between player and game. Phew.

Come on now... Have you actually played BF3?

Battlelog is MUCH better than any in game server browsers. It's fast and works really well.

People really need to stop bitching about everything that is not Steam.

Turfster

Same odds than Steam.

Nobody finds it annoying you have to start a game that starts a web browser that starts a game?
Hell, when SWTOR beta did it, I used to run into a strange problem nobody could explain, until I figured out I had to basically turn off all security features in IE to make their launcher work.
Yeah. That was fun.

Megasoum

Banned
Nobody finds it annoying you have to start a game that starts a web browser that starts a game?
Hell, when SWTOR beta did it, I used to run into a strange problem nobody could explain, until I figured out I had to basically turn off all security features in IE to make their launcher work.
Yeah. That was fun.

I never launched the game to launch the browser...I juts have battlelog bookmarked in Chrome. I click on the bookmark, choose a server and launch the game. I don't even keep Origin open, it will open automatically once I've found the server.

Freezard

Is Lost Planet 1 really any good? Heard horrible things about it. I don't like third person shooters but is the horror any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom