• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whools

Playing Deus Ex HR made me want to kiss the world. The bosses made me want to kill the world. Whoever thought they were a good idea should never have a job again in "games".

IIRC they were outsourced too, and they were rushed along, so the poor quality isn't unsurprising

denx

I bought DE:HR dirt cheap, and I enjoyed it so much that I actually feel kinda bad for paying so little for it. So I'm willing to pay full price for the Director's Cut at launch (as long as the game is in the 20 to 30 dollars range that is).

Omega

Banned
I liked Human Revolution until about 10 hours in. Then I noticed that there were vents everywhere, and in obvious places.

made the game too easy

Tellaerin

Playing Deus Ex HR made me want to kiss the world. The bosses made me want to kill the world. Whoever thought they were a good idea should never have a job again in "games".

i know I'm in the minority on this one, but I didn't have a problem with the boss fights in DX: HR. I mean, they weren't stunning or anything, but they weren't offensively bad either. The Typhoon system is the great equalizer, and it's not like I was scraping for Praxis to the point where I regretted getting it.

I'll admit I'm interested in seeing what the Director's Cut does with the boss fights, though. I know a lot of people were unhappy with the boss fights because they specced for stealth and weren't really equipped for them, so I'm curious about what changes were made to accomodate different playstyles.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
i know I'm in the minority on this one, but I didn't have a problem with the boss fights in DX: HR. I mean, they weren't stunning or anything, but they weren't offensively bad either. The Typhoon system is the great equalizer, and it's not like I was scraping for Praxis to the point where I regretted getting it.

I'll admit I'm interested in seeing what the Director's Cut does with the boss fights, though. I know a lot of people were unhappy with the boss fights because they specced for stealth and weren't really equipped for them, so I'm curious about what changes were made to accomodate different playstyles.

Most of us played no-kill playthroughs.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Sometimes it's the small things Enhanced Steam does that are the most useful:

zJ4qqmf.png

(Adds count of games with drops remaining to badge pages)

Tellaerin

Most of us played no-kill playthroughs.

I did too, surprisingly enough. Though in my case, "nonlethal" was less "sneak everywhere and try not to be seen" and more "sneak around until someone notices me, then PUNCH THEM INTO UNCONSCIOUSNESS WITH MY GRANOLA-POWERED CYBERFISTS." (I really liked the nonlethal takedowns. >.>)

(And yes, I realize that having to kill the bosses means that it's technically not a "no-kill" playthrough, but that distinction feels kind of like nitpicking to me. Having to kill a few of your opponents as part of the story didn't particularly bother me. Though it'd be interesting if sparing them in the Director's Cut has repercussions for the story, positive or negative.)

So I didn't know about the upcoming DE: HR Director's cut. If I had, I would have waited. I sure hope Eidos releases the update free to current owners or that it is a cheap DLC upgrade for $5.

Turfster

So I didn't know about the upcoming DE: HR Director's cut. If I had, I would have waited. I sure hope Eidos releases the update free to current owners or that it is a cheap DLC upgrade for $5.

It's "we even monetize shit you can unlock or pick up in-game" Squeidos, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Lasthope106[B said:
;78135909]OMFG. Just finished Deus Ex: Human Revolution two years after I bought it. This just surpassed Bioschock Infinite as the best game I have played in 2013.[/B] This game is the reason I play videogames. Eidos nailed it, everything. Wow!

The attention to detail is unbelievable. There were some parts of the environment where I couldn't believe they had gone to such extremes to get such small details on the environment. I spent hours and hours on the hacking mini-games and exploring every single corner.

I really hope Eidos has a sequel in the making. This franchise deserves another awesome game by Eidos Montreal.

Boss battles in Deus Ex were terribad.

Not to mention the ending was....subpar.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I just cheesed DE:HR's boss fights using the typhoon upgrade. I didn't feel the need or desire to engage with them in a serious manner as they directly clashed with the stealth component of the game.

So what? That's like max 1 hour in an otherwise oustanding 20+ hours game.

I started a complete stealth playthrough using nonlethal weapons.

If I have to turn down the difficult in order to complete boss fights, there is a design problem somewhere.

Don't get me wrong, the game was fantastic...but the boss fights break stealth playthroughs

Turfster

I just cheesed DE:HR's boss fights using the typhoon upgrade. I didn't feel the need or desire to engage with them in a serious manner as they directly clashed with the stealth component of the game.

Yeah, on my second playthrough, I got Typhoon as quickly as possible to just oneshot the god damned bosses. Also, the "ending" lasts a lot longer than an hour, sadly.

NIN90

I started a complete stealth playthrough using nonlethal weapons.

If I have to turn down the difficult in order to complete boss fights, there is a design problem somewhere.

Don't get me wrong, the game was fantastic...but the boss fights break stealth playthroughs

Heh, I get that. Guess it didn't really bother me. It's not like the original DX's bosses were balanced any better. :p

neoism

Even though the bosses had shitty design I still had sooo much fucking fun with that game... best game I play of that year... for 80 hours in two play-throughs... Is there going to be a PC re-release of the Wii-u version ... Love that game... got sooo into hacking and reading everyones emails.. lol And DAT art Design... sooo goodd.gif

So I narrowed my choices down to Sir You Are Being Hunted, Legend of Dungeon, or some other unexpected release or Early Access game.

I realized my specs can't run Betrayer, I can wait for Shelter, and I'll wait for games like Electronic Super Joy to go on sale.

Any impressions of Legend of Dungeon?

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
But ... but it's 2TB.

I think so long as you keep it on the same hard drive it won't actually "move" it, it'll just re-assign its directory address. You also might be able to rename it and the uninstaller will leave it alone rather than delete it, since I (think) uninstallers usually only remove things they put there in the first place.

FloatOn

So I narrowed my choices down to Sir You Are Being Hunted, Legend of Dungeon, or some other unexpected release or Early Access game.

I realized my specs can't run Betrayer, I can wait for Shelter, and I'll wait for games like Electronic Super Joy to go on sale.

I have not played Legend of Dungeon but it seems that there are games in this genre you can already check out.

While with Sir there is pretty much just Day Z that is comparable and who knows when that will actually come out?

Also keep in mind that with purchasing Sir, you are being hunted you are also promised free updates as they develop the game. I'm very much looking forward to the multiplayer mode that will launch after the full release. It could be something special.

sixclaws

Banned

I actually bought Legend of Dungeon last week, cause I thought it would make a fun coop game for when friends are over. Played a total of 15 minutes before we all got bored of it, for a rogue-like there was no challenge, none of us got anywhere close to death and the main problem is just randomly wandering around trying to find the exit. Also combat is just not fun at all. So far I hugely regret my purchase, I only hope that the fact that it is a beta that it gets better in the final release.

Li Kao

But ... but it's 2TB.

Oh god, how I wish I had the hard drive setup to do that. Download each time I want to play ? Fuck it, all is there, just a click away ! But then that's so much space for a relatively small gain (no bandwith cap, play 1-2 game at a time).
And then there is this Xbmc / NAS setup I keep dreaming about, but ripping 400 dvd would have a cost HD wise I'm not sure I want to calculate. A price doubled by Raid because I don't want to lose anything...

That's it, HD space is the true first world problem !

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I love Skullgirls and I need more fighters.

Yatagarasu was in the Doujin bundle a couple weeks ago. I played some last night. It's like 3rd Strike meets KoF, and for some reason I had Tokido as an assist. He would just pop up at my health bar and say something in Japanese every time I did something cool. It's a 4-button fighter with high on low parry set to the extra two buttons. Feels really good.

I don't think I'll be able to play Skullgirls late at night too much. I was using my quietest stick last night, and it was still too loud.

Grief.exe

I always thought the boss complaints were a tad bit nitpicky.

Is it an issue that should have been resolved during play testing? Yes.
It certainly isn't a major flaw though.

rybrad

I have been playing a lot of older games lately and it is really annoying when they jack up my desktop resolution and stack all my windows in a corner because I use multiple monitors. Is there any sort of program I can use for when a game goes full screen at a lower resolution on my primary monitor and keep it from changing my other monitors too? I know this isn't strictly Steam related but hopefully not too OT.

DTKT

Sometimes it's the small things Enhanced Steam does that are the most useful:

zJ4qqmf.png

(Adds count of games with drops remaining to badge pages)

It's mind boggling that Valve keeps adding new features on Steam without polishing what they currently have.

They need someone that wants to do improve the client and I'm not sure that person exists. With a client as old as Steam, it must be a nightmare to deal with.

It's mind boggling that Valve keeps adding new features on Steam without polishing what they currently have.

They need someone that wants to do improve the client and I'm not sure that person exists. With a client as old as Steam, it must be a nightmare to deal with.

Yeah Valve doesn't strike me as a "coding standards" kind of company.

It may be they are just holding things back for a steambox related client redo. It certainly needs one.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Is it an issue that should have been resolved during play testing? Yes.
It certainly isn't a major flaw though.

For me an issue will be having a guard detecting you when he's not supposed to, forcing the player to do something (in reference to the boss fights) and even going further by not allowing a stealth path to "take them out" is completely stupid in an otherwise great game, aggravated by the fact that the rest of the game is about letting and encouraging the player to make choices (independently of whatever that changes anything in the end or not).

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
They need someone that wants to do improve the client and I'm not sure that person exists.

*raises hand* If I worked at Valve I'd want to focus not just on the website but the client too. I've been adding features and fixing bugs on the Steam website now for about 9 months and I still find new things like this to add to help people use their existing platform.

Having a real hard time deciding what to play next after DE: HR.

Multi-platform goodness
Dishonored
Alan Wake
Tom Raider

PC nirvana
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - COP
Vampire Bloodlines
Amnesia

Indie avalanche of 2013
Guacamele
Spelunky
Gone Home

God, I love pc gaming. What an embarrassment of riches.

I actually bought Legend of Dungeon last week, cause I thought it would make a fun coop game for when friends are over. Played a total of 15 minutes before we all got bored of it, for a rogue-like there was no challenge, none of us got anywhere close to death and the main problem is just randomly wandering around trying to find the exit. Also combat is just not fun at all. So far I hugely regret my purchase, I only hope that the fact that it is a beta that it gets better in the final release.
So...guess that crosses LoD off the list

Is SYABH worth the $20?

/hides head in shame

M.O.O.N's track, 'Dust', will be featured on the Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number soundtrack.

Confirmed by M.O.O.N. himself via Facebook.

http://i.imgur.com/uJKFVb8.png[IMG]

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=bEPBefYxfWs"]M.O.O.N - Dust[/URL][/QUOTE]

Awesome song. I LOVE 80's electronic sound. That reminds I also still need to play Hotline Miami. /cries

DTKT

Multi-platform goodness
Dishonored
Alan Wake
Tom Raider

PC nirvana
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - COP
Vampire Bloodlines
Amnesia

Indie avalanche of 2013
Guacamele
Spelunky
Gone Home

VTM. Get the community patch and you have yourself a solid 30 hours of awesome content.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Multi-platform goodness
Dishonored
Alan Wake
Tom Raider

PC nirvana
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - COP
Vampire Bloodlines
Amnesia

Indie avalanche of 2013
Guacamele
Spelunky
Gone Home

Spelunky is something you play alongside everything else for the rest of eternity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom