• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Steam doesn't get a cut from keys AFAIK, if a game uses steamworks, the publisher can generate as many steam keys as he wants for no fee from steam (I read that somewhere, someone correct me if i am wrong). I thought it was one of the upsides of using steamworks.

It isn't necessarily a function of Steamworks. If a game is sold on Steam, the publisher/developer can request unlimited free keys from Valve.

Acccent

Well in any case, if the argument were as simple as "we want 100% of the money, they want Steam keys", the solution to both would be seem to be obvious, and the only stipulation would be that they would not be sold/featured on the Steam storefront as a consequence of wanting to keep all of the profits. So they actually want more than that -- they want a share of the overall DD market, not just for their own games.

As far as anyone knows, Valve only takes a cut of Steam keys sold directly from steampowered.com, right.

Yeah. Or maybe they want to track consumer habits, which is worth a lot of money. But in that case doing it via separate account platforms should be okay as long as it's transparent (ie play a steamworks game, and the game logs you into your uplay account without any unnecessary fluff)

JustinBB7

Just finished the first campaign of Age Of Empires 2 HD and didn't get the achievement for some reason, is it bugged?

Edit: Seems to be a known bug, all single player achievements stopped working after the last patch. Lame.

Gentlemen of the Row doesn't fix the worst problems of SR2 PC port though.
I think the worst one is that the speed at which the game runs is determined by your processor frequency, the further away you are from 3.2Ghz (lower or higher) the faster the game will run often resulting in an accelerated game. This problem only seems to appear for W7 users though.
You can fix that but it involves downloading a mod and an external program and timing a race on a straight road with a slow ass car. Yep.

IdolNinja the creator of the Gentlemen mod made a FAQ on SPUF :
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1715922

If you still wanna buy the game after reading this then go ahead.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah the PC port of Saints Row 2 is a major mess but the Gentlemen Of The Row mod helps a lot. I'd love to see them report it (of course never gonna happen) just to have a good version on PC. It's by far and away my favourite of the Saints Row games, hell it's one of my favourite open world games full stop.

Copons

Yeah. Or maybe they want to track consumer habits, which is worth a lot of money. But in that case doing it via separate account platforms should be okay as long as it's transparent (ie play a steamworks game, and the game logs you into your uplay account without any unnecessary fluff)

In fact I don't think you need a second launcher to track stuff in your game. Honestly I believe that you don't even need an always on connection, as the game could save data like game saves and just upload them whenever the player is online.

Also, but I don't know, maybe there is some law or something that require the user to opt-in to this kind of tracking...

Acccent

In fact I don't think you need a second launcher to track stuff in your game. Honestly I believe that you don't even need an always on connection, as the game could save data like game saves and just upload them whenever the player is online.

Also, but I don't know, maybe there is some law or something that require the user to opt-in to this kind of tracking...

Yeah, just a small login screen, with an automatic login option, like what we had before uPlay and Origin etc.
The problem is that companies always try to get more than what is reasonable and end up being obnoxious.

Copons

Yeah, just a small login screen, with an automatic login option, like what we had before uPlay and Origin etc.
The problem is that companies always try to get more than what is reasonable and end up being obnoxious.

Don't know what was there before Uplay and Origin, but if is something (apparently?) unobtrusive like Tropico 4 launcher, I'd be fine with it, even if I'd prefer an in-game login.
Because WTF, when I launch a game from Steam I expect to actually launch the game and maybe go to the toilet while waiting, I dunno, so when I come back I'm in the menu and not still on the desktop. :(

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Earlier in the year, Ubi updated Uplay so that the Steam versions of its games automatically load (previously you had to launch the game from Steam and launch it again from Uplay), but what irks me is that Ubi didn't go one step further and have the client automatically exit once the game is no longer running. From Ubi's perspective, I can see why this was done -- there are achievements to poke through and a small sample of content you can purchase using Uplay points -- but the option would be nice.

Edit: I've been missing words in my posts all night. What is wrong with me. :(

HoosTrax

Earlier in the year, Ubi updated Uplay so that the Steam versions of its games automatically load (previously you had to launch the game from Steam and launch it again from Uplay), but what irks me is that Ubi didn't go step further and have the client automatically exit once the game is no longer running. From Ubi's perspective, I can see why this was done -- there are achievements to poke through and a small sample of content you can purchase using Uplay points -- but the option would be nice.
Oh is that why I have 100+ hours logged for Anno 2070 :s

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
All that talk about clients being solutions to non-existent problems fails to take into account that there is indeed a problem to solve, it's just not on the customer's side. Publishers are trying to find a way to sell their games without paying a percentage to a competitor. It's a fair pursuit, imo, and if they can manage to do it without being too annoying or intrusive (which neither Origin nor uPlay really have managed to do yet) then I'd say it's fine for them to have their own clients.

The ideal solution would be a popular, functional publisher-agnostic platform...
So then why don't they ask Valve for Steam keys and sell them on their own site? That costs them nothing, and Valve doesn't take a cut from keys sold outside their store.

Want to make sure customers buy from your store? Simple: put the game $10 or $20 higher on Steam than your own site, and informed people will probably get it there to save a little. And if they end up buying it on Steam, the extra bucks should cover the fees anyway.

See how easy it is? In a matter of minutes I came up with an idea that completely invalidates Origin's and Uplay's existence.

Grief.exe

So then why don't they ask Valve for Steam keys and sell them on their own site? That costs them nothing, and Valve doesn't take a cut from keys sold outside their store.

Want to make sure customers buy from your store? Simple: put the game $10 or $20 higher on Steam than your own site, and informed people will probably get it there to save a little. And if they end up buying it on Steam, the extra bucks should cover the fees anyway.

See how easy it is? In a matter of minutes I came up with an idea that completely invalidates Origin's and Uplay's existence.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

Remove Uplay client integration from games sold on Steam, all games sold from other retailers activate on Uplay, Steam version costs $20 more than Uplay version when on sales.
All Ubisoft games bought on Steam activate on Uplay.

Ubisoft would cover their costs completely and still promote their client organically.

fantomena

Even though I dislike both UPlay and Origin I will at least thank Ubisoft for releasing their games on Steam at all (and making the games start automatically so you don't need to press a lot of buttons in UPlay).

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
you guys don't give nearly enough credit to gog!

Also I was wandering how many of us really need community aspects of gaming services?
GOG isn't a client, though. Just a store with a link to download your games. And forums, I guess (never used them).

I don't need the community aspects, but I really like them. What at first seemed like a stupid idea (we talk about those same games here, for example) turned out to be fantastic. I love seeing what games my Steam friends (95% of which are fellow Steam-GAFfers) bought, the screenshots they took, recommendations they wrote and so.

Coldsnap

Anyone else inventory bonked on steam? Got a pack last night and want to sell it but when I go to inventory on steam its just a blank page of nothing, looks like it's not loading correctly.

Everyone is going crazy for that game, but I can't bring myself to pay that price for what looks like a mod. I loved 3 and I know I would have fun with this, but I was expecting a little more I guess for what they're asking.

Wait, you're serious?

I'm having more fun with SR4 than I've had with any game since... wow since longer than I can remember. Not only is it my GOTY so far, but may be one of my favorites ever.

There's a ton there. Some reviewer said that it's the Crackdown sequel he never knew he wanted or something like that and that's a good start, but I've laughed a lot during the game as well and had a real hard time putting it down.

Of all the purchases that could be disappointing, I just don't see how SR4 would be on that list. But hey, to each their own.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I thought that was one of the reasons achievements were invented...

JaseC

Bohemia Interactive's games are slightly cheaper on its own store than Steam.

I suck at google. Do we usually get new trading cards today or tomorrow? Or is it just random?

I believe there is no schedule anymore. Cards just release whenever, mostly at the same time a game goes on sale. New card releases have become relatively rare.

JaseC

Maybe he's European, where we pay about 33% more for the same game than in the US, and can't even use the "get a friend to buy it" workaround for that because it's been region locked up the wazoo.

If I ever move to a European country (the UK excluded), I think I'd just ask Valve to remove the geo-block from my account, under the guise of "travelling abroad", and keep my savings account active back in Australia, so I could continue to purchase stuff from Steam AU. Dealing with the Aussie Tax would be less of a hassle than putting up with the default currency conversion of 1 USD = 1 Euro, I'd imagine.

Turfster

Dealing with the Aussie Tax would be less of a hassle than putting up with the default currency conversion of 1 USD = 1 Euro, I'd imagine.

It's annoying but not unreconcileable on the cheaper stuff, where it's like the price of a beer or whatever, but to take SR4, the difference is like, 14€ or something. That buys you a lot of daily deals or even a newly released non-AAA title.

Kifimbo

Reposting the games of the week.

08/26/2013 - PixelJunk Monsters Ultimate - Tower Defense - Double Eleven/Q-Games - $19.99 (2-Pack for $34.99)
08/27/2013 - Lost Planet 3 - TPS - Capcom/Spark Unlimited - $49.99
08/27/2013 - Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn - MMORPG - Square Enix/Square Enix - $29.99
08/27/2013 - Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Ultimate Edition - Action/Adventure - Konami/MercurySteam - $29.99
08/28/2013 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows - Action/Adventure - Activision/Red Fly Studios - $14.99
08/28/2013 - Shelter - Adventure - Might and Delight/Might and Delight - $9.99
08/29/2013 - America's Army: Proving Ground - FPS/Simulation - U.S. Army/U.S. Army - $XX.XX
uO5LKg2.jpg

08/29/2013 - Memoria - Adventure - Deep Silver/Daedalic - $XX.XX
DGaGzkv.jpg

08/29/2013 - Guardians of Middle-earth - MOBA - Warner Bros./Zombie Studios - $19.99
08/29/2013 - The Chaos Engine - Action - Mastertronic/Abstraction Games - $9.99
uO5LKg2.jpg
DGaGzkv.jpg

08/29/2013 - Game Dev Tycoon - Simulation - Greenheart Games/Greenheart Games - $9.99
08/30/2013 - Rayman Legends - Platformer - Ubisoft/Ubisoft Montpellier - $39.99 -
uO5LKg2.jpg

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
What the hell, a 600 meg Dishonored update?
Seems to be just bug fixes (also something to do with changes made on maps due to crashes, which would explain the large size). From what I'm reading the size differs depending on you having the DLC or not:

1 DLC - 586 MB
2 DLCs - 919 MB
no DLC - seen people getting different filesizes, 19, 256, 532, etc.

JaseC

It's annoying but not unreconcileable on the cheaper stuff, where it's like the price of a beer or whatever, but to take SR4, the difference is like, 14€ or something. That buys you a lot of daily deals or even a newly released non-AAA title.

When you purchase Steam crap as often as I do, it all adds up. :p

Omega

Banned
I know I'm a bit late, but why do people hate Origin?

Aside from the inconvenience of it not being on Steam, I don't see any other reason. The only game I own on Origin is ME3 and sometimes I forget it's even tied to origin. It's not intrusive at all.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Reposting the games of the week.

08/28/2013 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows - Action/Adventure - Activision/Red Fly Studios - $14.99

Have we heard anything else about this game besides "It's coming to Steam on the 28th." ?

Really looking forward to it but the game page isn't up yet. Not sure if I'll be able to stay away from temptation when it comes to spending my GabenBux until then.

Kifimbo

Have we heard anything else about this game besides "It's coming to Steam on the 28th." ?

Really looking forward to it but the game page isn't up yet. Not sure if I'll be able to stay away from temptation when it comes to spending my GabenBux until then.

Since it's a Summer of Arcade game on XBLA, it might launched only on that platform this week and later on PC/PSN.

Turfster

I know I'm a bit late, but why do people hate Origin?

Aside from the inconvenience of it not being on Steam, I don't see any other reason. The only game I own on Origin is ME3 and sometimes I forget it's even tied to origin. It's not intrusive at all.
The half-Origin client that came with Alice Madness Returns on Steam keeps checking something like every 5 minutes, which makes the computer stutter... and usually results in a missed jump. It got really really annoying, and I haven't played in ages just became of that.

Omega

Banned
The half-Origin client that came with Alice Madness Returns on Steam keeps checking something like every 5 minutes, which makes the computer stutter... and usually results in a missed jump. It got really really annoying, and I haven't played in ages just became of that.

well that explains it.

thanks

Uiki

Ok. I'm freaking out.

In "coming soon" rayman is set to sept. 3.

On the game page is out the 29th.

WTF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom