• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ok. I'm freaking out.

In "coming soon" rayman is set to sept. 3.

On the game page is out the 29th.

WTF.

Both mention August 30th for me, which aligns with the August 29th date in other regions as it unlocks at 1am here.

Papytendo

I'm going to answer the Halo related package updates. We ran a full update yesterday, and this caused many packages to update at same time, because Valve marked them as developer packages (DevComp), so it hides real package name and they appear as "Steam Sub %%%%". Some changes can be seen on the history page.

TL;DR: Valve's responsible for updating these packages, not developers. Halo was dead, still is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg03q100E4g
T-this just means Valve is porting Halo 3, r-r-right?

fantomena

Fuck. I want Rayman Legends day 1 after the awesome review scores. But for which plattform? PC now and Vita later on sale or opposite?

Seems to be just bug fixes (also something to do with changes made on maps due to crashes, which would explain the large size). From what I'm reading the size differs depending on you having the DLC or not:

1 DLC - 586 MB
2 DLCs - 919 MB
no DLC - seen people getting different filesizes, 19, 256, 532, etc.

Yeah, I have no DLC and got the 19.2MB update.

Tak3n

Banned
Reposting the games of the week.

08/26/2013 - PixelJunk Monsters Ultimate - Tower Defense - Double Eleven/Q-Games - $19.99 (2-Pack for $34.99)
08/27/2013 - Lost Planet 3 - TPS - Capcom/Spark Unlimited - $49.99
08/27/2013 - Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn - MMORPG - Square Enix/Square Enix - $29.99
08/27/2013 - Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Ultimate Edition - Action/Adventure - Konami/MercurySteam - $29.99
08/28/2013 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows - Action/Adventure - Activision/Red Fly Studios - $14.99
08/28/2013 - Shelter - Adventure - Might and Delight/Might and Delight - $9.99
08/29/2013 - America's Army: Proving Ground - FPS/Simulation - U.S. Army/U.S. Army - $XX.XX
uO5LKg2.jpg

08/29/2013 - Memoria - Adventure - Deep Silver/Daedalic - $XX.XX
DGaGzkv.jpg

08/29/2013 - Guardians of Middle-earth - MOBA - Warner Bros./Zombie Studios - $19.99
08/29/2013 - The Chaos Engine - Action - Mastertronic/Abstraction Games - $9.99
uO5LKg2.jpg
DGaGzkv.jpg

08/29/2013 - Game Dev Tycoon - Simulation - Greenheart Games/Greenheart Games - $9.99
08/30/2013 - Rayman Legends - Platformer - Ubisoft/Ubisoft Montpellier - $39.99 -
uO5LKg2.jpg

ty, my son will be really excited when I show him the turtles game, anyone know where to get it from?

Turfster

Is TMNT still hip with today's kids?
The 80s are in again.
They did a new CGI cartoon thingy and are working on a movie, aren't they?

Brütal Legend was fun, but by the end, it's obvious they had to cut corners because they were never going to reach their original vision. Also the RTS sections can be annoying at times, but the world and the music are great. Some really great art direction in there too.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

My kids love it - there is a new show on Nickelodeon that is actually really, really good.

I know I'm a bit late, but why do people hate Origin?

Aside from the inconvenience of it not being on Steam, I don't see any other reason. The only game I own on Origin is ME3 and sometimes I forget it's even tied to origin. It's not intrusive at all.

Some people have claimed that Origin is spyware.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I know I'm a bit late, but why do people hate Origin?

Aside from the inconvenience of it not being on Steam, I don't see any other reason. The only game I own on Origin is ME3 and sometimes I forget it's even tied to origin. It's not intrusive at all.
This:
Some issues I had:
- No two-factor authentication of any kind.
- It's not possible to edit your account information without a security question (security questions lower security, they do not raise them).
- Passwords are inexplicably limited to 16 characters, which is simply not sufficient.
- This is also relevant because god only knows if they use industry-standard hashing and salting on passwords or encryption on other personal information, given that Battlefield Heroes didn't and surprise surprise got hacked.

- No screenshot support
- Store shows non-PC games when searched from web (thankfully not from client)
- Store deals page doesn't actually show deals by default because advertising
- BioWare sells their DLC separately because left hand and right hand are arm wrestling
- Mandatory spam (oh wow, I quit Dead Space 3, thanks for the popup reminding me I can buy stuff for Dead Space 3) that can't be turned off
- Newly redeemed games don't show up in your library unless you refresh manually
- No custom install locations without abusing ntfs junctions
- The one time I ever tried to activate a game, their activation server was down for a day because it's also the one day in history that anyone ever actually tried to use Origin.

Note that I own one game on Origin and I didn't buy it on Origin (like I'd give EA my payment information!), so my experience with it has been pretty slim so far. I'm sure if I actually used it or wanted to do anything with it, I'd find tons more. Also these are limited to problems with Origin that do not exist with Steam--if I included stuff that Steam sucks at, there'd be way more.

But the most important thing is that it's not necessary. It doesn't bring anything to the table. It's another client. I don't want Capsule. I don't want Origin. I don't want another client. I don't believe Origin liberates me to have a closer relationship with EA. I don't believe running their own service has resulted in more game patches, more new content, or better games. I don't believe that sales devalue IPs and neither does EA except when they do. That it's a client that doesn't actually do anything makes it less valuable than a client that does.

JaseC

Well, at the very least, you no longer need to manually refresh your library for newly-redeemed games to appear. Progress!

Dolor

Today's Daily is 75% off Brutal Legend ($4.99 or $6.24 for the game + OST bundle).

Edit: Beaten.

Hmm, that's tempting, but I am trying to stop buying games so I don't feel as guilty about pouring about ~100 hours each into Rome 2 and then X: Rebirth and ignoring everything else this fall.

Decisions, decisions.

Tak3n

Banned

Younger kids easily.... I am not so sure about older kids (Teenangers) my better half is a teacher of 30, and she said that her 16 year olds never talk about console/PC games, all she hears is about the latest IOS/Android incarnations

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Eanan

Thoughts on lords of football for anyone whose played it. Im not expecting FM 14 depth also, but it looks interesting.

JaseC

The $5 Lords of Football DLC ought to be on sale too considering it's almost two months old.

Tak3n

Banned
+1 for Ghost Master, you wont believe how strategic that game is, and being able to go first person into the people you are scaring, is all win

cicero

10 years from now, Steam, GOG, Origin and Uplay will be but a memory, and all that will remain in the DD space is Digital River's service, complete with 30-day download expiries and a fee if you want some more longevity.
I will still be clutching my GOG archive tightly to my chest then. It IS starting to get a bit unwieldy at 250GB though.

Tak3n

Banned
Zombie Pirates, is the biggest disgrace to a title, you say to most 5-10 years old children, want to play a game with Zombie Pirates, and their little eyes will light up...

you can imagine their disappointment when the game is presented to them, when the devs who clearly have no idea about kids, do that travesty

Grief.exe

I thought Rock of Ages was a great change of pace game. I had fun with it.

Just watched Rev3's Rayman Legends review, its looking very good. Has it been confirmed that the Steam version doesn't support Uplay?
It is still not showing up on the game's requirements, and if it hasn't by now, then it probably won't on release.

Nymphae

Banned
Wait, you're serious?

I'm having more fun with SR4 than I've had with any game since... wow since longer than I can remember. Not only is it my GOTY so far, but may be one of my favorites ever.

There's a ton there. Some reviewer said that it's the Crackdown sequel he never knew he wanted or something like that and that's a good start, but I've laughed a lot during the game as well and had a real hard time putting it down.

Of all the purchases that could be disappointing, I just don't see how SR4 would be on that list. But hey, to each their own.

I hear you, and I'd really love to enjoy it, like I said I loved 3. I'm just not seeing anything new here other than the powers, which look great, but I feel like I'll tire of jumping around the city pretty fast. You say there's a ton there, are the missions more varied than what was in 3? All the side mission stuff was mostly activity introduction, then you just did levels of the same boring activities over and over again. The main missions were good but not great, and I hear this is shorter in that department than previous games.

I'm definitely picking this up on the next Steam sale, I just don't feel like dropping $50 on more of the same with some super power mods. I appreciate the over the top-ness & humour of the series, but it isn't enough to mask the mediocre gameplay design for very long imo.

liezryou

I've never played a rayman game in my life. I got origins with my legends preorder. Should i jump straight into legends or play origins first? Castlevania also coming out tommorrow. Still have yet to touch spelunky and guacamelee, oh steam why u make me buy so many games that i will never play.

Weeklong Deals

Dr. Splitz
Cargo Commander
Lords of Football
Rock of Ages
APOX
Supreme Commander
Scratches
Zombie Pirates
Vegas : Make it Big
Ghost Master

http://store.steampowered.com/news/11321/

Anything stand out?

Cargo Commander
Rock of Ages
Scratches
Supreme Commander

Those four are easily the best ones in my opinion. I only bought the first three though as Supreme Commander didn't really appeal to me as an RTS.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
* Supreme Commander (make sure you get Forged Alliance) is really great.
* Cargo Commander is a fun little game, not something you play for huge spurts but is a good way to kill 20 minutes here or there.
* Rock of Ages is both awesome and wholly unique.
* Scratches is a great Myst style adventure game if you're into those.

JaseC

I've never played a rayman game in my life. I got origins with my legends preorder. Should i jump straight into legends or play origins first? Castlevania also coming out tommorrow. Still have yet to touch spelunky and guacamelee, oh steam why u make me buy so many games that i will never play.

I wholeheartedly recommend smashing through Origins prior to Legends. It's not required viewing, of course, but the game is simply superb.

I'd forgotten how perfect Rayman Origins is. Everything about it is sublime -- it looks great, sounds great, plays great, and the challenges straddle a nice line between not too easy and not too frustrating.

Kinda OT, but does anybody know the email for UPlay support?

My uplay account doesn't have an email address associated with it. I try to log-in to change my password, but I can't because it needs an email for which my account has none. I try to contact support and it asks for my account's email for which it has none. But the uplay client allows me to sign in with my non-email address username.

It's kinda like some kafkaesque nightmare.

Cth

Anyone know how difficult Rayman Legends is offhand?

My daughter loved Rayman Origins but hit a wall at a certain point and I ended up having to play it for her :D

Grief.exe

In the Rev3 review, they showed that every level in Rayman Origins is unlockable in Legends.

Now, I don't know if this includes story integration or anything like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom