• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantomena

Wow. To me she looks a lot better with dark hair.

harrypotter-shock.gif

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
From best avatar to worst avatar. :(

Well, she'll be at the premiere of Justin and the Knights of Valor on the 8th (and at the TIFF premiere of How I Live Now on the 10th), so you'll just have to suffer until then. :p (Unless I grow bored of it or something new comes up in the interim -- the latter is a rule I have.)

The fuck is up with Scorsese in JaseCs avatar?

It's from some sort of weird scene in Violet & Da--

That is a publicity shot from her upcoming role in the NOLF movie.

I mean, this.

Jawmuncher

I've been getting more and more addicted to steam. I don't even want to bother with my consoles....

I'm unsure if this is good or bad news

I've been getting more and more addicted to steam. I don't even want to bother with my consoles....

I'm going through that as well. I have a Wii U which I like a lot and have been playing a bit of lately. I also have a PS4 pre-ordered but my interest in consoles is waning. I keep telling myself the console exclusives are coming but I always drift back to my PC. Steam really is the best thing I've ever used as far as gaming is concerned.

Twinduct

Oh shit, that's amazing.

I'll support it just so we get more japanese games.

Well that ... and seeing the game running without all the aliasing! The game's style has been the closest thing I've seen that might blur the 2D/ 3D anime gap. Add in some killer aliasing and we're going to town where no bone has ever walked!

Jawmuncher

I'm going through that as well. I have a Wii U which I like a lot and have been playing a bit of lately. I also have a PS4 pre-ordered but my interest in consoles is waning. I keep telling myself the console exclusives are coming but I always drift back to my PC. Steam really is the best thing I've ever used as far as gaming is concerned.

The ease of use and the fact I can leave it on all day are two things I'm really enjoying. It's to the point where I don't think ill buy anything on consoles besides exclusives.

fantomena

Thanks GAF for recommending me Spelunky when it released on Steam. I would never buy ut if it were not for GAFs push (Salsas push mainly). I love it so damn much, its so addicting.

The ease of use and the fact I can leave it on all day are two things I'm really enjoying. It's to the point where I don't think ill buy anything on consoles besides exclusives.

That is EXACTLY what I'm doing going forward. Exclusives only on consoles are the only things I'll be buying. I love Nintendo franchises and their exclusives so the Wii U was a no brainer for me. I had the 360 last-gen but it was rendered useless after 90% of the games I bought for it I also re-bought on the PC for cheap. I'm assuming the Xbox One will probably go down the same path. I've never owned a PlayStation but the exclusives and possibility of HD collections / backwards compatibility appeal to me.

That said, the PC will be my primary gaming option going forward.

Does Lost Planet 3 have any neat DX11 effects? Tempted to buy it because someone is selling it for $25 :/ slaps self

Also, what's the best deal on Rome II at the moment?

And I use the PC as my main platform but have all the consoles and handhelds. Everything has something I want to play. Cheaper than other hobbies!

Lingitiz

$48 on Greenmangaming, $35 on Nuuveem.com.br(for the next 8 hours), $37/18keys on Tf2outpost and other trading sites.

Just a heads up, there seems to be some region locking going on.

I picked up a copy from a trader for 18 keys and preloaded already, so luckily I avoided any issues. I'd probably play it safe and get a copy off of GMG to get the preorder bonus as well.

Grief.exe

I don't even need a next-gen console until at least 2015/2016. By then they will have enough exclusives to dive in. Probably going PS4.

So how do I install a skin for the Mac version of Steam? All the guides are outdated, and navigating is different than what they're outlining. Plus, Mac is counter-intuitive as hell, and preventing from accessing my own directories.

Giran

Is Rome II going to be an M rated game? Will be a bummer if they put out dlc for the blood/death animations again.

It will be rated T, as always. That said, CE mentioned they'll be doing some free DLC this time around so blood might be one of those. I just hope it will have a bit more substance and won't be so ridiculous as the stupid blood fountains for Shogun 2 were.

It will be rated T, as always. That said, CE mentioned they'll be doing some free DLC this time around so blood might be one of those. I just hope it will have a bit more substance and won't be so ridiculous as the stupid blood fountains for Shogun 2 were.

The screen splatters were a bit annoying and silly but the actual animations were stellar. Decapitations, disembowelment, struggles for life, etc and all very well done.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Jesus the first titan in Castlevania looks ridiculous at 1080p60. Replaying games never felt so good. I can't wait till 4k TVs have matured and I can replay this again at 2160p120.

Giran

The screen splatters were a bit annoying and silly but the actual animations were stellar. Decapitations, disembowelment, struggles for life, etc and all very well done.

Yeah, those were cool but there could've been more variety to them. And some didn't sync properly, like ashigaru getting decapitated.

fantomena

Don't know if old, but Guacamelee will release on GOG.com with 10% discount + Mutant Blobs for free the first week like Steam. 29th august for 14,99$ (original price).

Got the press release earlier today, but not bothered posting about it here before now.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Don't know if old, but Guacamelee will release on GOG.com with 10% discount + Mutant Blobs for free the first week like Steam. 29th august for 14,99$ (original price).

Got the press release earlier today, but not bothered posting about it here before now.

If it comes with a Steam key I'll give away my DRM free copy in here.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Doesn't negate my previous points, if there weren't some extra manager outside of the game to manage user content and EA relied on users mucking around in explorer moving files around, it doesn't sound like much of a trade off.

And the DLC for Origin versions? Sounds more like laziness than bad policy. Seeing as ME3 would have been the only one where Origin was already established by its release, they probably figured it was easier to continue riding it out with Bioware's system rather than having a mish mash of user licenses all over the place with the ME trilogy.
But they could have migrated those licenses and extra managers to Origin, which would have been the perfect excuse to justify the existence of that piece of software. You call that laziness on EA's part, and I agree. But it's also a bad policy, because if they cared for their customers at all they would have done it anyway.

Interestingly enough, the base Mass Effect game does not have any DRM attached to it, but the DLC does.
The DLC comes with Securom and a 3 machine limit.
Which one, Bring Down the Sky or Pinnacle Station? If it's the former then it's an incredible stupid idea. If it's the latter then I wish it came with a 0 machine limit, because that DLC totally sucks and no one should play it.

I'm not familiar with Nuuveem. What's the catch?

Brazilian retailer. It's legit and cheap but before you buy anything check steamdb for region lock (if game is labeled as "(BR)" don't buy).
In the last month bought from them Saints Row 4, XCOM Declassified and others for less than 25€ each.

jediyoshi

But they could have migrated those licenses and extra managers to Origin, which would have been the perfect excuse to justify the existence of that piece of software. You call that laziness on EA's part, and I agree. But it's also a bad policy, because if they cared for their customers at all they would have done it anyway.

All of these DD platforms could be doing a lot of things, it only ever boils down to whether it's worth it for the outcome. I don't think you even have to sit down and factor out that embarking on trying to consolidate all the accounts and licenses and patching the old games and the technical nightmares that could occur far outweigh the "neatness" that'd end up as a result, especially when the legacy system is already so set in stone. Now that Origin is actually established, it makes more sense for them to actually tie everything together. I don't see it as actively harming them that these much older games left by the wayside aren't getting equal attention as their future products.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Same here. Happened to me last year with the Wii, and now again with the 3DS. And then it happened again with Steam, in favor of GAF :p

All of these DD platforms could be doing a lot of things, it only ever boils down to whether it's worth it for the outcome. I don't think you even have to sit down and factor out that embarking on trying to consolidate all the accounts and licenses and patching the old games and the technical nightmares that could occur far outweigh the "neatness" that'd end up as a result, especially when the legacy system is already so set in stone. Now that Origin is actually established, it makes more sense for them to actually tie everything together. I don't see it as actively harming them that these much older games left by the wayside aren't getting equal attention as their future products.
Then we agree to disagree. I believe it's important to show support for your new system by moving the old ones to it, which in turn makes everything easier for the user.

If I can't trust EA with migrating legacy stuff to Origin and avoid using external launchers in games that came out after Origin was released, why should I trust them with anything else regarding said client?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom