• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Which one, Bring Down the Sky or Pinnacle Station? If it's the former then it's an incredible stupid idea. If it's the latter then I wish it came with a 0 machine limit, because that DLC totally sucks and no one should play it.
I know for sure Bring Down the Sky does. And it's shittastic because it's free with the game... for those couple installs. And then you have to buy another cd-key for the main game to get more.

Daellon

Neo Member
Which one, Bring Down the Sky or Pinnacle Station? If it's the former then it's an incredible stupid idea. If it's the latter then I wish it came with a 0 machine limit, because that DLC totally sucks and no one should play it.

My Pinnacle Station is a DL through Origin. I haven't had any issues installing and running it on multiple machines
so far

BDtS has a version released recently by Bioware that has no DRM or restrictions to my knowledge.

There are quite a few posts out there about it and I was able to track it down with a Google search or two.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus the first titan in Castlevania looks ridiculous at 1080p60. Replaying games never felt so good. I can't wait till 4k TVs have matured and I can replay this again at 2160p120.
Still got 12GB left to download. Hope I can start it tonight, though I should finish Dust before I do it.

I know for sure Bring Down the Sky does. And it's shittastic because it's free with the game... for those couple installs. And then you have to buy another cd-key for the main game to get more.
That was incredibly shitty indeed. I don't know how someone could ruin a free DLC (or at least its distribution), but EA managed to do it.

My Pinnacle Station is a DL through Origin. I haven't had any issues installing and running it on multiple machines
so far

BDtS has a version released recently by Bioware that has no DRM or restrictions to my knowledge.

There are quite a few posts out there about it and I was able to track it down with a Google search or two.
Yeah, I actually got it for free with the Origin voucher debacle last year, and it redeemed on Origin. But that's the exception, not the rule.

jediyoshi

Then we agree to disagree. I believe it's important to show support for your new system by moving the old ones to it, which in turn makes everything easier for the user.

If I can't trust EA with migrating legacy stuff to Origin and avoid using external launchers in games that came out after Origin was released, why should I trust them with anything else regarding said client?

Lots of things could be done everywhere to make things easier for users. Steam mandating that launchers always have skip parameters in launch options, giving publishers freedom in DLC releases. I'm not seeing the case that these issues are somehow a tipping point. Not seeing either how lack of initiative in supporting older media would affect your view point of their newer titles that are able to actually be developed with these back ends in mind. Unless EA actively touted themselves somewhere along the same vein as something like GOG, their priorities given their giant back catalog of games could have never bode well for keeping everything neat and orderly.

I watched the trilogy over the weekend and I agree, they hold up. Don't know what they were thinking for the designs in the game.

tumblr_mgvhovsapU1rrov60o1_500.gif

Cowabunga!

Used to play N at the computer lab in Jr. High and would compete against friends, good memories. N+ which was released a few years later was rad as well, although those coop levels were absurd. Having to have 5 people survive while one person does a treacherous obstacle course was vicious.

Rayman Origins - the game where every stage is like from Super Mario World's SPECIAL world. I think the game just called me a loser and told my mom was fat after dying like 15 times on one "room"

Rayman Origins - the game where every stage is like from Super Mario World's SPECIAL world. I think the game just called me a loser and told my mom was fat after dying like 15 times on one "room"

haha, one of the ice levels was giving me a lot of trouble today. Offered me to leave that section and I was like hell no, I'm going to advance no matter what. And I did, phew

Done with Rayman Origins. My body is ready.

Actually, reading that there's like 40 levels from Origins in Legends kind of makes me regretting playing through Origins in some way.

Sucks that it doesn't launch at midnight.

So how do I install a skin for the Mac version of Steam? All the guides are outdated, and navigating is different than what they're outlining. Plus, Mac is counter-intuitive as hell, and preventing from accessing my own directories.

Anyone know? Or do skins just not work on Mac?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Lots of things could be done everywhere to make things easier for users. Steam mandating that launchers always have skip parameters in launch options, giving publishers freedom in DLC releases. I'm not seeing the case that these issues are somehow a tipping point. Not seeing either how lack of initiative in supporting older media would affect your view point of their newer titles that are able to actually be developed with these back ends in mind. Unless EA actively touted themselves somewhere along the same vein as something like GOG, their priorities given their giant back catalog of games could have never bode well for keeping everything neat and orderly.
Once again, I don't disagree that everyone else isn't perfect either. But I'll remind you that I'm talking about games released by EA, which owns Origin. In the case of external launchers on Steam, the only fault in Valve's part is not forcing other publishers and devs not to use them. They aren't responsible for how those devs decide to use Steam. EA is responsible for how its own games use Origin.

And I'll remind you again that I'm not only talking of older games. Mass Effect 3 and SimCity came out in 2012 and 2013, respectively, well after Origin's creation in 2011 (which in turn is nothing but the new version of EADM). There's no excuse for either of them to require an external launcher or buying DLC from a separate site/shop. I wouldn't consider those games as part of their back catalog. And neither is Battlefield 3, which launches through a fucking website for no apparent reason at all.

Seems to me like not even newer games are being developed with those backends in mind. Which in turn makes me question the utility and reason for the existence of such a client.

Momentary

Banned
100 new games? It is bad enough keeping track of things as it is.

Valve fighting back against the PS4?

What Valve did was total annihilation against the PS4's indie campaign.

Kind of bummed that Valdis Story didn't make the cut, but it's fairly new. Super excited to see Oniken and Escape Goat finally make the cut. Teslagrad was another awesome look puzzle platformer I was looking forward to.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Being forced to buy ME3 DLC through Origin while still using Bioware points is a crime against humanity. Whoever made that call should never be allowed near buttons that have functions again.

Lingitiz

Is the SP more like Chaos Theory or Conviction?

I'm only 2 story missions in, but so far it's a pretty solid mix of both styles of play. There are some smaller missions that definitely evoke a Chaos Theory vibe. For example, one mission you get from Grim has you infiltrating a seafort at night time, and getting detected means you start from the beginning. You're given 3 places to tap and can do them in any order, followed by an exfiltration.

I think this is more a response to people generally hating Greenlight.

I don't see why Valve would need to compete with PS4. One is PC, one is console.

Besides, I thought I was an EA Plant. Make up your mind, GAF.

Nothing, really. Guess through the Portuguese and pay with paypal.

Brazilian retailer. It's legit and cheap but before you buy anything check steamdb for region lock (if game is labeled as "(BR)" don't buy).
In the last month bought from them Saints Row 4, XCOM Declassified and others for less than 25€ each.

Oh wow, thanks! Rome II does not appear to be region locked. I'll consider buying through them if it's nothing shady.

jediyoshi

Once again, I don't disagree that everyone else isn't perfect either. But I'll remind you that I'm talking about games released by EA, which owns Origin. In the case of external launchers on Steam, the only fault in Valve's part is not forcing other publishers and devs not to use them. They aren't responsible for how those devs decide to use Steam. EA is responsible for how its own games use Origin.

And I'll remind you again that I'm not only talking of older games. Mass Effect 3 and SimCity came out in 2012 and 2013, respectively, well after Origin's creation in 2011 (which in turn is nothing but the new version of EADM). There's no excuse for either of them to require an external launcher or buying DLC from a separate site/shop. I wouldn't consider those games as part of their back catalog. And neither is Battlefield 3, which launches through a fucking website for no apparent reason at all.

I'm not seeing the distinction or logic between Valve's policies and EA's on launchers. Valve can approve or deny whatever they want, if their policy's end result is that the capability of a detracting launcher can exist, then it's irrelevant how the chain of responsibility leads up to it.

The rest of this is just a circular argument as to expectations vs practicality. The amount of good will or faith lost isn't worth the money required in reworking and retooling existing code, that counts the same for Bioware's archaic web portal. The justification of battlelog is fairly straightfoward. Unless there's some game who's ingame multiplayer browsing and community capabilities allow for the same freedom as battlelog's that I'm missing, it makes sense to consolidate everything down to a single interface.

Did uPlay just get an update that bypass that extra click you need to do in the uPlay client before a game starts? Just tried the Rayman Legends demo again and some update installed and it signed me to uPlay and the game started automatically after that. Pretty sure that didn't happen the last time I tried the demo, but have no other uPlay games installed so can't check if it's a consistent thing.

Did uPlay just get an update that bypass that extra click you need to do in the uPlay client before a game starts? Just tried the Rayman Legends demo again and some update installed and it signed me to uPlay and the game started automatically after that. Pretty sure that didn't happen the last time I tried the demo, but have no other uPlay games installed so can't check if it's a consistent thing.

Rayman Legends uses Uplay? *cries*

Well we haven't seen it as such, but isn't it a box that plugs into a TV with big picture mode and plays games?

I can't see how that doesn't compete with the PS4 and Xbox.

in the same way a pc is compared to a console. that is what the steambox will be,something in the middle. it will have linux os and you can install anything like a pc along with changing parts.

Demos of the Intel Level Up Game Demo Contest winners are now on Steam. Contest Winners and others...

Assault Android Cactus
Lilly Looking Through
Protocell
Life Goes On
Cube & Star: A Love Story
Perfection
Beatblasters III

Sullichin

Pls halp
My nephew can't save in Batman Arkham City. When starting the game there is no GFWL overlay at all. Told my sister to install GFWL manually but that doesn't seem to be working at all- It just says "an error has occurred". Downloading GFWL with Microsoft Flight does the same thing .
Did they possibly remove GFWL from the installation but not the requirement or something? I know they're getting rid of it soon but my nephew is pretty pissed that he can't save in his new Batman game.
Any ideas?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

It's been doing that for a while. If they would just add an option to auto-exit it after quiting a game, Ubisoft would have like 20 big picture mode worthy games.

They're not shady, they're legit. I have an awful lot of respect for them for the way they handled the Saints Row IV keys.

Oooo boy. I almost pulled the trigger but then I did a last second search and saw this:

http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/28/tot...ded-through-steam-activation-times-announced/

Rome 2 will be region-locked in some territories, so if you are buying a copy from overseas please check with your retailer if you will be able to activate it your home country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom