• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to play Teleglitch as an FPS. Like if someone modded Doom or made a Source mod with the randomised levels, the item/weapon crafting and perma-death. It would be badass.

Made it to the third area and my weapon poor run, died when I encountered gun-toting zombies and I had no ammo left. Rudely discovered I have to make it to the fifth area to get a checkpoint in the third. Oh well, already made it back to the third area on my current playthrough, got a few more weapons now.

It helps that the game essentially looks like software-rendered Quake.

Look, let's get some perspective here, people:

I hate EA. I hate what they're doing to the industry. I think a PC ecosystem where EA is a dominant player is a nightmare scenario. I have never even been particularly fond of EA games in general, either.

However, EA isn't filled with evil people punching out sequels in-between trips to an all-you-can-masticate baby buffet.

They are very active in supporting LGBT rights, not to mention other charitable endeavors they fund through sales of some of their games.

Is it a smoke screen? Is there no such thing as true altruism and everything, no matter how imperceptible, is just a play to further your genetic code?

Those are interesting questions, but not ones that are particularly relevant to them offering up a bunch of games and giving the proceeds to charity.

Requoting.

This is like when people refuse to believe The Onion is satire because they want to be right.

Can't wait to get home and download Crysis 2.

I still can't believe they're giving away Dead Space 3 for a buck. They should have put it on Steam.

Kifimbo

From another Humble Bundle:

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

Alan Wake's American Nightmare -- MB-C1D6036CE05C5A2D - Taken by jtb

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Insane generosity in here lately. Sadly, the only Steam key I have to give away is Mirror's Edge. I posted all my Origin keys in the Origin thread.

Nymphae

Banned
Hope this goes to someone that actually wants it!

Edit: The game images in modbot's messages are a nice touch!

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

Mirror's Edge -- MB-7380E9B5F1B297E7 - Taken by Ogedai_Khan

I would love to play Teleglitch as an FPS. Like if someone modded Doom or made a Source mod with the randomised levels, the item/weapon crafting and perma-death. It would be badass.

Made it to the third area and my weapon poor run, died when I encountered gun-toting zombies and I had no ammo left. Rudely discovered I have to make it to the fifth area to get a checkpoint in the third. Oh well, already made it back to the third area on my current playthrough, got a few more weapons now.
Teleglitch is amazing. Love that game

Anyway, I literally just realized the Thief games were on sale.
Thief 2 Add to Cart...?

Divius

final leftover keys

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Medal of Honor -- MB-D6FB8981378810B1 - Taken by Cheddahz
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box -- MB-B6CA89282F5B1581 - Taken by Widdly Scuds

Dunlop

arg I keep getting "Could not load module bin/vgui2.dll" when I try to open steam.
(Wndows 8) I removed the file as instructed on the support forums and same error.

I removed and reinstalled steam and same deal...and am now blocked out of pretty much all of my PC library

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Stump what's the code for the randomizer used in the raffles¡? If you can share of course...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
RE: EA and LBGT rights; yes, they do support LBGT issues in the US. And they are by all accounts, like most major corporations, very friendly to their LBGT employees. And obviously LBGT charities are going to get a gaggle of money from this, and that's great.

But apart from all that, I had absolutely never heard anyone actually give EA grief about LBGT issues before EA themselves distracted from business criticisms by saying "yes, but we're good to LBGT causes". I do remember EA hiring fake astroturfed protestors over Dante's Inferno. I do remember the odd FOX blowhard saying "Mass Effect is a sex simulator". I am sure some random Twitter or Facebook user said something crude about same-sex relationships in one or more Bioware games. But the image that they've put up of how they're willing to take a bullet for their principles, principles that were never under any real scrutiny or attack, is bizarre.

EA first raising the issue:
http://consumerist.com/2013/04/05/e...-success-on-homophobes-and-whiny-madden-fans/

“In the past year, we have received thousands of emails and postcards protesting against EA for allowing players to create LGBT characters in our games. This week, we’re seeing posts on conservative web sites urging people to protest our LGBT policy by voting EA the Worst Company in America.”
(Peter Moore)

This is not a thing that happened. I think it's probably 1/10th true--at some point some conservative web site probably mentioned something about LBGT stuff, and I'm sure they got negative feedback at some point, but it simply isn't true that it was in an enormous volume and it simply isn't true that it was a sustained campaign and it simply isn't connected to the Consumerist thing.

If there is such a campaign, the people involved in it have not reached out to us, nor have we seen evidence of this traffic to our pages. While any number of tech and video game sites and forums have been writing about and linking to the WCIA polls (here’s lookin’ at you /v/), our analytics show absolutely no incoming traffic from anything we’d label as political, let alone conservative.

EA received hundreds of nominations from Consumerist readers this year, by far the most of any contender in the bracket, but not a single one mentioned anything about sexual orientation. Consumerist does not condone homophobia or hate speech of any kind, and our readers understand the Worst Company contest and nominate businesses based on their merits.

I mention this only because we are having a conversation about EA's bright spot in this regard. EA is bright in this regard. I wouldn't minimize that. Obviously I'm not going to pat myself on the back for my own bona fides or whatever, but sufficed to say obviously this is an issue I care about. But I also think that even without having the "can any company truly be charitable" conversation, I think it's fair to say that EA also used their good deeds as a smokescreen to cover up for their crap, in a really disingenuous way, and that much of the goodwill they have on this issue has come from basically tooting their own horn.

(Every Humble Bundle I buy goes 100% to charity, and in this case I gave my piddling donation to HRC.)

More Modbot love!
ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Burnout Paradise -- MB-6D78689932800AC0 - Taken by Kuroyume
Mirror's Edge -- MB-C5292BDC96CA026E - Taken by BorntoPlay
Dead Space -- MB-95859FE72B705C5B - Taken by Cheddahz

Tellaerin

I had a lot of fun with Burnout Paradise. If you like arcade-style racers, it's definitely worth spending some time with. (Protip: If you win it, play it.) Enjoy!

ModBot said:

Rules for this Giveaway:

header_292x136.jpg

Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box -- MB-4DC36BEC1E7E71A7 - Taken by The Super Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom