• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last week, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Mirror's Edge -- MB-469837CB652C85A4

KiDdYoNe

Since it's everywhere, just pick it up. BTW tried to redeem something in Origin... well, that's why it sucks, yeah.

Dead Space

Medal of Honor

Crysis 2 Maximum Edition

sapsari

Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last week, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Mirror's Edge -- MB-469837CB652C85A4

Dear Bot Sire,

Please quote your giweaways.

Thanks in advance

Tellaerin

Since it's everywhere, just pick it up. BTW tried to redeem something in Origin... well, that's why it sucks, yeah.

Dead Space

Medal of Honor

Crysis 2 Maximum Edition

I'm guessing this is the hardest Origin's gotten hammered since the free $20 survey code fiasco. It's probably a good idea to wait a while before trying to redeem any Origin codes.

Hah, can't believe Humble actually did it. All those jokes about an EA bundle after the THQ one, and now it's happened.

heh, I can see an image of Wishmaster saying "Careful what you wish for!" (Surprised I've never seen any Wishmaster gifs on GAF.)

So many releases this month... Not enough timeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

fantomena

should I get that Thief Collection? hmm

220px-YesMan2008poster.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Stump what's the code for the randomizer used in the raffles¡? If you can share of course...

The randomizer? Literally just ORDER BY RANDOM() on the SQL query. The database is SQLite. I'm not sure what your CS background is so the rest of this might not apply to you but: I have no doubt it's actually a very poor pseudorandom function and doesn't use sufficient entropy, but it also can't be gamed since even if there was a bias (say the ORDER BY RANDOM() always picked the exact midpoint row in the result set, for example), you have no idea of knowing how many people entered behind the scenes or the amount of time remaining on the raffle timer. I investigated and it looks like that function is seeded using a time-based entropy function on Windows (which is what ModBot is running on right now) and using the system's entropy source on Linux (which is what ModBot will be running on long-term).

Salsa

my giveaway a few pages back doesnt say who took the games :( and no one replied to it saying they got it either, but they are scratched off

crysis 2 is still available it seems

Fireblend

Banned
The randomizer? Literally just ORDER BY RANDOM() on the SQL query. The database is SQLite. I'm not sure what your CS background is so the rest of this might not apply to you but: I have no doubt it's actually a very poor pseudorandom function and doesn't use sufficient entropy, but it also can't be gamed since even if there was a bias (say the ORDER BY RANDOM() always picked the exact midpoint row in the result set, for example), you have no idea of knowing how many people entered behind the scenes or the amount of time remaining on the raffle timer. I investigated and it looks like that function is seeded using a time-based entropy function on Windows (which is what ModBot is running on right now) and using the system's entropy source on Linux (which is what ModBot will be running on long-term).

So it's basically this:

random_number.png

liezryou

English please.

A bit disappointed that there are only soundtracks for BF3/The Sims 3 :(

No Mirror's Edge soundtrack is especially galling.

RE: EA and LBGT rights; yes, they do support LBGT issues in the US. And they are by all accounts, like most major corporations, very friendly to their LBGT employees. And obviously LBGT charities are going to get a gaggle of money from this, and that's great.

But apart from all that, I had absolutely never heard anyone actually give EA grief about LBGT issues before EA themselves distracted from business criticisms by saying "yes, but we're good to LBGT causes". I do remember EA hiring fake astroturfed protestors over Dante's Inferno. I do remember the odd FOX blowhard saying "Mass Effect is a sex simulator". I am sure some random Twitter or Facebook user said something crude about same-sex relationships in one or more Bioware games. But the image that they've put up of how they're willing to take a bullet for their principles, principles that were never under any real scrutiny or attack, is bizarre.

Many of EA's decisions over the past few years have rubbed me the wrong way, but I'd hope most people are able to separate that from the LGBT support. And that goes both ways, too--their LGBT support shouldn't mitigate, say, their awful decisions re: SimCity, just like their awful decisions re: SimCity shouldn't take away from their LGBT support.

I don't think EA has to be under fire specifically for them to make a big deal of their support for what I think should be pretty basic human rights, especially considering how backwards societies still are about the issue in general. But as a consumer, I wouldn't blindly assume that their gay advocacy automatically means their games are better, just as I wouldn't assume that, say, sourcing all their electricity from solar and wind power means online passes are any less odious a policy. I don't think it should be EA's fault if people do conflate the two.

Hooly hell, I won Enemy Unknown. Thanks JaseC!

Man, with this and the Humble Bundle, this has turned out to be an amazing day.

I have a few of the Humble codes I haven't redeemed yet, unsure if I want to play them or give them away for other people to enjoy. I'll definitely have some Origin codes to give away, though I'm giving some to a mate who just bought a new rig, and I know he's gonna be on tight cash for a while.

Hinomura

What about a nice horizontal shooter?
ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:

header_292x136.jpg

Satazius -- MB-9E41598AE5C0BF35 - Taken by Out_Of_Ammo

Reposting this because the thread moves so fast. They should not have been taken since I didn't get a receipt and they are not crossed out, but I'm sorry if they were.

I am giving away 2 Origin keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both fewer than five posts in this Steam thread and fewer than five posts in the immediate previous Steam thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.

Medal of Honor (Origin) -- MB-5AA3AA2B51F86E0D
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box (Origin) -- MB-A2133FB0061ED900

Scotch

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Mirror's Edge -- MB-886629D23C4085CC - Taken by Vardhan
Humble Bundle 3 -- MB-7D73F36D9B027652 - Taken by trailmix16
Dead Space -- MB-30528BF7CAAAC4B6 - Taken by throwawayname

Cth

my giveaway a few pages back doesnt say who took the games :( and no one replied to it saying they got it either, but they are scratched off

crysis 2 is still available it seems

I won Dead Space from you.. sorry did a mass thank post.

I appreciate it! Now to free up some space and check out the PC version!

(Every Humble Bundle I buy goes 100% to charity, and in this case I gave my piddling donation to HRC.)

Which, by the way, unfortunately has had a bit of a rocky road in terms of supporting the "T" part of LGBT. Or at least they did in the past, I actually removed an HRC bumper sticker from my car a few years ago after reading some unpleasant stuff about them and talking to some less-than-helpful representatives in Portland.

EA sucks! Everything sucks! Yay!

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Seeing this many people getting Dead Space makes me really happy. It's my absolute favorite game of all time, and I hope you guys enjoy it.

Whools

ModBot said:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Medal of Honour -- MB-5130D02602F38615 - Taken by crimsonheadGCN

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Medal of Honour was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

have at it. with a u because I can

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom