• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

maneil99

Anyone able to tell me if the pc versions of the lego games each year are any good? After LEgo City's horribly long load times and the choppy co-op performance of Disney Infinity this eyar, I'm tryin gto convince my girlfriend I could just get her Lego Marvel on PC now we've got one, for her and my kid to play in co-op. Before I go on the ahrd sell though, these prots are fine yea, nothing horrendous like no gamepad support, or weird clients/drm or anything?
if they are all like LOTR you'll be fine i think its offline co op only though

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Road Not Taken by Spry Fox will be available for PC and Mac via Steam in early 2014. The game is being described as a puzzle game with rogue-like game.

It is being promoted as a PS4 and Vita release, but it will be released on Steam as well (the same practise that we have seen quite a few other indie developers adopt).

A4HdNvl.jpg

Trailer

Site
Is rogue-like the new puzzle platformer?

Nillansan

So... my gf played the shit out of Papers Please (like dozens of hours and she also wants to get endless mode, literally :D ), and she's starting to want more.

She asked me to suggest a game similar to Papers and I was totally baffled, both because I still hate her of playing #5 game in my wishlist before me, and because what the hell, does it even exist a game similar to this one?

I know she likes slow paced, relaxing games.
She's a fan of Ace Attorney and Prof. Layton on DS, but she doesn't really dig classic graphic adventures, like she loves Grim Fandango design but I've never actually see her playing any of Lucas games (even if I often pointed her to all my Lucas boxes in my bookshelves).
She's an old timer pro ( :D ) player of Sims 3 and she loved Chefville (to the point of convincing me to play it...).
And now Papers, Please.

Now, excellent SteamGAF fellows, what the hell am I supposed to suggest her to play?
(+100 if Humble Store games, so she get the DRM free and I the Steam key)

Cart Life might be something that she will enjoy.

Description said:
Cart Life is a retail simulation for Windows which showcases the lives of street vendors in a small city which is located in the Western United States.

Each of the playable characters has specific goals and special traits, but also unique addictions which the player must accomodate in order to succeed within the game. Permits are required, but get expensive. Is it worth risking a fine to operate without one? The player also needs to accommodate their customers by paying attention to differing tastes, buying habits, and levels of patience. Most customers will tip well when their order is filled quickly and accurately, so do your best! Work Harder, Hard Worker.

Store Page
Site

Acccent

So... my gf played the shit out of Papers Please (like dozens of hours and she also wants to get endless mode, literally :D ), and she's starting to want more.

She asked me to suggest a game similar to Papers and I was totally baffled, both because I still hate her of playing #5 game in my wishlist before me, and because what the hell, does it even exist a game similar to this one?

She's a fan of Ace Attorney and Prof. Layton on DS, but she doesn't really dig classic graphic adventures, like she loves Grim Fandango design but I've never actually see her playing any of Lucas games (even if I often pointed her to all my Lucas boxes in my bookshelves).
She's an old timer pro ( :D ) player of Sims 3 and she loved Chefville (to the point of convincing me to play it...).
And now Papers, Please.

Now, excellent SteamGAF fellows, what the hell am I supposed to suggest her to play?

Maybe Christine Love's, Tale of Tales' or Wadjet Eyes' games? Gone Home, although it won't last long? 7 Grand Steps? Kentucky Route Zero? Check the 'most peaceful game' thread also, let me get the link...

edit: Here it is (was on first page...) I was also going to recommend Cart Life, but it can be fairly depressing...

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I don't understand these "Steam Traders" that I keep hearing about and everyone talks like they're pretty skeevy. What are they doing and how is it skeevy?

Got DMC3 working perfectly.

Running right now at 60 fps with forced MSAA and AF through Nvidia Inspector. As always with console games, the pre-rendered and compressed cut scenes look very jarring next to gameplay and in-engine cut scenes.

I have the controller working, but prompts still show up in the keyboard format they had before. Press 6, while holding 3, and hitting S....

And my hands are seriously cramping up all ready!

iNaFaej2PDrxl.png

Is there some sort of AA and AF in game ? I've got an ATI and Catalyst Control Center refuses to launch for some reason. Waiting for you vid in the meantime.

derExperte

How long do pre-purchase rewards usually stay up? Right up until release? I probably won't be able to pre-purchase Rayman Legends until tomorrow afternoon. The game supposedly unlocks at noon EST on Tuesday. Will I still get free Origins?

Recently a few games unlocked a couple hours earlier than announced so I wouldn't wait until the last minute.

PS I have one Skullgirls left from a preorder 4pack, if someone still hasn't bought it pm me.

PPS Yesterday I tried Showdown Effect from the Paradox Bundle for two hours and it deserves a bit more love, nice little game and right now there are a lot of beginners running around so it's easy to get into. I guess it will die down again soon.

Copons

Cart Life might be something that she will enjoy.

Cart Life I think she would really dig it, considering that Papers Please too should be super depressing!

Maybe Christine Love's, Tale of Tales' or Wadjet Eyes' games? Gone Home, although it won't last long? 7 Grand Steps? Kentucky Route Zero? Check the 'most peaceful game' thread also, let me get the link...

edit: Here it is (was on first page...) I was also going to recommend Cart Life, but i can be fairly depressing...

Nice thread! Who would have though that same time I need something this peculiar, someone opens a thread about it? :D

BTW, there are truly a lot of good suggestions.
I was thinking about Limbo and Flower and maybe To The Moon, but I don't know because she's super cold hearted.
Also, as soon as I find a cheap GameCube (mine was stolen goddamit) I'm totally gonna dust off that sweet Animal Crossing and GBA, GBA-GC cables and even that totally useless GBA card reader that I can't remember what that did but it was super cool.

Martian

Rome 2 total war is 33% off in the UK.

I asked in the Rome 2 thread :
If anyone wants to gift the game to me, I could gift them a 35 pound game/42 euro?

Where is the best place to do this? I dont have Paypal or a credit card, so it's a specific deal

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I just completed Rayman Origins.

A couple of weeks ago I resumed my playthrough and was quick to say that I'd forgotten how perfect this game is, and throughout all the little trials and tribulations I was met with as I jumped and bashed my way through the last 60-odd percent of the game, I still stand by that sentiment -- it's undoubtedly not only one of the finest 2D platformers I've ever played, but also one of the finest games in general.

Most obviously, the game is a visual treat, particularly in this day and age where 2D platformers are something of a rarity outside of indie titles (I can't be the only one who's grown tired of the "new" 2.5D Super Mario aesthetic Nintendo insists upon recycling). The game's various worlds -- from lush jungles to colourful oceans -- are bursting with artistic ingenuity and detail to the point where only rarely does one progress through a level and not think how nice it would be to have a particular moment printed out and hung up on a wall. Similarly spectacular, too, is the game's soundtrack, which perfectly conveys a sense of wonderment, excitement, mystery or dread where appropriate -- two tracks in particular which I love are The Lums' Dream and Lums of the Water, both of which, needless to say, are featured in underwater levels.

Two other keys areas the game excels in are level design and controls. In each world, Rayman is given a new ability to use (for example, the very first is the ability to punch/kick), which expand upon the creative pallet level designers can draw from. While playing through the levels at your own pace may allow you to appreciate the luscious visuals and general creativity in their design, particularly in later stages of the game where you're encouraged to combine abilities, it's not until you attempt a time trial or chest chase that you can plainly see the painstaking attention to detail -- there's an unmistakable and prescribed ebb and flow, a cadence, to almost each and every level that is perfectly executed... provided you can keep up. These runs may require some trial and error, but at no point do you feel as though you have anything less than precise control over your character; in fact, I'd say that the controls are even close to perfect in the underwater levels, which are often... less-than-stellar in platformers. In addition to the regular levels on offer, side-scrolling shooter levels (in which you ride a mosquito who can inhale and shoot) and boss fights punctuate the final leg of each world and offer a nice change of pace from the usual running and jumping.

Speaking of content, there's plenty on offer: there are at least 40 or so levels in the game, including boss fights, and most have a select number of "electoons" you can collect (requiring a certain amount of Lums, scattered throughout any given level), which, in addition to being required to progress, also unlock new character skins; furthermore, completing a time trial run quick enough nets you a trophy (though they're useless) and completing a chest chase awards you with a skull tooth. Each world contains one chest chase and completing all ten unlocks the secret final level of the game, which features a unique undead theme. If you'd been collecting all of the electoons and trophies up until this point, then the level isn't too frustrating -- at times it can be a little difficult to read what's to happen ahead, but again there's an underlying rhythm to the level design that is pitch-perfect provided you're quick enough.

Once again, I'll reiterate that Rayman Origins is damn-near perfect, and I'd say it's well worth snapping up even at its current base price of $20. I give it 4/4 Saoirse gifs.

tumblr_mlve15gTBm1qby403o8_250.gif

JaseC

I don't understand these "Steam Traders" that I keep hearing about and everyone talks like they're pretty skeevy. What are they doing and how is it skeevy?

Users in other regions, typically Eastern Europe, trade cheaper copies of games for TF2/Dota 2 keys (refined metal can also be used, though it's not worth much -- think of keys as dollars and metal as cents). As publishers have begun to catch on to this practice, people looking for a cheaper game need to involve some due diligence lest they end up with a region-locked copy, but other than that there's not really an inherent element of risk; even if you are scammed, you can request that the trade be reversed and you'll get your items back.

New Super Mario Brothers U added an incredible amount of visual diversity and is among the more visually pleasing platformers out there and if nothing else escaped the slightly generic presentation the other titles featured in the "New" series. Rayman Origins is certainly quite beautiful though, and Legends seems to be expanding on that quite well. My one complaint is some of the backgrounds feel a bit cheap in Origins, particularly the ice levels but otherwise it's quite wonderful despite some minor animation bugs here and there with the sprites clipping.

Not sure I agree with the near perfect level design comments though or at least in terms of the quality of platforming present. You mention the game has " an unmistakable and prescribed ebb and flow, a cadence, to almost each and every level that is perfectly executed... provided you can keep up" and that's really exactly the problem with the game's level design in general. There is very little room for any kind of real experimentation, and if you got two decent speedrunners together they'd get the exact same time and would perform the same moves. The runner chest stages are challenging but it really is just endless trial and error, although the escalation mentioned is quite thrilling to play through.

When compared with say the mario games the difference in the quality of level design is clear. The stages are designed for experimentation yet if one attempts a straight approach the levels still stand out in general as quite fun and challenging. Watching speedrunners play NSMBU is enlightening and really shows just how incredible the platforming model they've built is. I've yet to play a platforming game that can really match the best of Nintendo's 2D efforts.

Edit: I will say I feel I've undersold the visual presentation. The audio/visual combination of the first time you enter water or the singing of the lums is just incredible to experience. Rarely can platformers touch one in such a way on that level, but I still think Origins as a platformer is a bit basic for my liking.

JaseC

My one complaint is some of the backgrounds feel a bit cheap in Origins, particularly the ice levels but otherwise it's quite wonderful despite some minor animation bugs here and there with the sprites clipping.

It's weird when you complete a chest chase and see Rayman's arm/leg stick out through the skull tooth. I'd say, "I'm not sure how that made it past QA", but it's an Ubi game. ;)

Not sure I agree with the near perfect level design comments though or at least in terms of the quality of platforming present. You mention the game has " an unmistakable and prescribed ebb and flow, a cadence, to almost each and every level that is perfectly executed... provided you can keep up" and that's really exactly the problem with the game's level design in general. There is very little room for any kind of real experimentation, and if you got two decent speedrunners together they'd get the exact same time and would perform the same moves. The runner chest stages are challenging but it really is just endless trial and error, although the escalation mentioned is quite thrilling to play through.

When compared with say the mario games the difference in the quality of level design is clear. The stages are designed for experimentation yet if one attempts a straight approach the levels still stand out in general as quite fun and challenging.

Sure, I can understand that. I didn't find the lack of experimentation an issue, although the impression I got from some people who'd in the past lamented the final levels of the game (LOTLD in the particular) was that the level design became cheap, but this wasn't the case. LOTLD is probably as close to cheap as the game gets due to the speed involved and how often changes occur, but even so you're given some time to react.

Edit: I will say that competing the game 100% has burnt me out on Rayman. :p I'll play Legends eventually, of course, but I can't say the desire is there at the moment.

A couple of weeks ago I resumed my playthrough and was quick to say that I'd forgotten how perfect this game is, and throughout all the little trials and tribulations I was met with as I jumped and bashed my way through the last 60-odd percent of the game, I still stand by that sentiment -- it's undoubtedly not only one of the finest 2D platformers I've ever played, but also one of the finest games in general.

Most obviously, the game is a visual treat, particularly in this day and age where 2D platformers are something of a rarity outside of indie titles (I can't be the only one who's grown tired of the "new" 2.5D Super Mario aesthetic Nintendo insists upon recycling). The game's various worlds -- from lush jungles to colourful oceans -- are bursting with artistic ingenuity and detail to the point where only rarely does one progress through a level and not think how nice it would be to have a particular moment printed out and hung up on a wall. Similarly spectacular, too, is the game's soundtrack, which perfectly conveys a sense of wonderment, excitement, mystery or dread where appropriate -- two tracks in particular which I love are The Lums' Dream and Lums of the Water, both of which, needless to say, are featured in underwater levels.

Two other keys areas the game excels in are level design and controls. In each world, Rayman is given a new ability to use (for example, the very first is the ability to punch/kick), which expand upon the creative pallet level designers can draw from. While playing through the levels at your own pace may allow you to appreciate the luscious visuals and general creativity in their design, particularly in later stages of the game where you're encouraged to combine abilities, it's not until you attempt a time trial or chest chase that you can plainly see the painstaking attention to detail -- there's an unmistakable and prescribed ebb and flow, a cadence, to almost each and every level that is perfectly executed... provided you can keep up. These runs may require some trial and error, but at no point do you feel as though you have anything less than precise control over your character; in fact, I'd say that the controls are even close to perfect in the underwater levels, which are often... less-than-stellar in platformers. In addition to the regular levels on offer, side-scrolling shooter levels (in which you ride a mosquito who can inhale and shoot) and boss fights punctuate the final leg of each world and offer a nice change of pace from the usual running and jumping.

Speaking of content, there's plenty on offer: there are at least 40 or so levels in the game, including boss fights, and most have a select number of "electoons" you can collect (requiring a certain amount of Lums, scattered throughout any given level), which, in addition to being required to progress, also unlock new character skins; furthermore, completing a time trial run quick enough nets you a trophy (though they're useless) and completing a chest chase awards you with a skull tooth. Each world contains one chest chase and completing all ten unlocks the secret final level of the game, which features a unique undead theme. If you'd been collecting all of the electoons and trophies up until this point, then the level isn't too frustrating -- at times it can be a little difficult to read what's to happen ahead, but again there's an underlying rhythm to the level design that is pitch-perfect provided you're quick enough.

Once again, I'll reiterate that Rayman Origins is damn-near perfect, and I'd say it's well worth snapping up even at its current base price of $20. I give it 4/4 Saoirse gifs.
great write up! I just finished this game too, though on Vita. I agree it was amazing throughout and while I'm a fan of nsmb level design (functionally speaking) I do wish they'd take some risk aesthetically like this game has clearly done. Bravo to Ancel and crew - they've created a game that balances old school feel with new school design and wrapped it up in one of the prettiest, most polished games this generation

Deques

I like that the latest version of Enhanced Steam now shows how many remaining cards and games with remaining drops. And it also can show all badges that still have card drops.

366 card drops remaining
95 games with drops remaining

Yup, I will never be able to get all drops

liezryou

I'm so bad at rogue legacy holy. I was at level 48 before i took down khidr, and now i keep failing at the forest. I think i spent all my money on the wrong upgrades.

polychron

I'm so bad at rogue legacy holy. I was at level 48 before i took down khidr, and now i keep failing at the forest. I think i spent all my money on the wrong upgrades.

I just ended up investing in health so heavily that I could kinda brute force my way through that game. I don't know that I was that good at it...

liezryou

I just ended up investing in health so heavily that I could kinda brute force my way through that game. I don't know that I was that good at it...

Maybe i should just do this, I spent most of my money on stupid stuff (reducing % for entrance of castle, increasing gold %).

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Maybe i should just do this, I spent most of my money on stupid stuff (reducing % for entrance of castle, increasing gold %).

To be fair, if you can't use the money for bumping up the stuff you do want you may as well use it for bumping up stuff you don't, you'll only lose it otherwise right?

Yeah, this is a problem with Rogue Legacy. You can go down the wrong upgrade path (and going towards gold% is one of those, I would say :p). It doesn't make the game impossible, it just makes it even more of a grind.

It's a fine game and I had fun with it, but it's really badly designed.

Some people had a lot more fun with it after restarting and going for the "right" upgrades instead.

Yeah, this is a problem with Rogue Legacy. You can go down the wrong upgrade path (and going towards gold% is one of those, I would say :p). It doesn't make the game impossible, it just makes it even more of a grind.

It's a fine game and I had fun with it, but it's really badly designed.

Gold % isn't one of them ... and you can't really go down the wrong path because you'll quickly have more money than you need (thanks to gold %) and all the upgrades you "missed" will still be cheap.

So I'll disagree with it being badly designed in this regard. The real problem is simply with balance (once you work out the OP spells) and general lack of things to do.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Splinter Cell: Blacklist is a very, very good game. The second best Splinter Cell game, after Chaos Theory. And I haven't even played Spies vs Mercs yet!!

So far, it occupies the number 3 spot in my GOTY list.

Niceeee. I'm definitely picking it up when it hits the 30$ range on Steam.

JaseC

Haha, Ride to Hell must have bombed hard. Just two months after it released at full price ($50), its base price dropped to $20. Slap a 50% discount on top of that, Deep Silver, and I'll buy it.

Cheddahz

Banned
I'm planning on picking up the new Splinter Cell once it drops in price some (I could had gotten it yesterday, but I decided to buy Killer is Dead instead). My dad says that the new Splinter Cell is the best one he has played since Chaos Theory, so I trust my dad's judgment on it

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
What did you think of the final boss in Rayman Origins Jasec? Most people I know were ready to hunt Ancel down to ensure he never designed another game after that.

If you guys think Origins is good... then you will love Legends. More Content more variety more everything. The only problem that i have right now is that it is much easier than origins (im at world 5 from 6 and world 6 is just LOTLD). It could change later trough but im not sure about it. Its the first game after a while that i want to complete 100%.

JaseC

What did you think of the final boss in Rayman Origins Jasec? Most people I know were ready to hunt Ancel down to ensure he never designed another game after that.

Easier than I was expecting, funnily enough. I assumed the secret final boss would be a longer fight (others in the game require three hits, save for Mecha-Daisy and Mecha-Mocking Bird, which each require two), which is why I opted to exit the level and return to it with a heart, but I was wrong.

The final level of the campaign proper (mosquito level) is very easy because there are a ton of heart flasks. I had more difficulty with the preceding chase sequence.

If you guys think Origins is good... then you will love Legends. More Content more variety more everything. The only problem that i have right now is that it is much easier than origins (im at world 5 from 6 and world 6 is just LOTLD). It could change later trough but im not sure about it. Its the first game after a while that i want to complete 100%.

Yeah, this seems to be a common sentiment and I can't say I'm pleased to hear it.

Nillansan

Why the animosity?

Considering his post history, I don't think that his presence here comes off as being genuine. Other posters have kindly told him to take his peddling elsewhere, yet he has ignored these complaints and taken every little opportunity to promote his operation.

This is not the trade thread.

Fireblend

Banned

Echoed my thoughts exactly. I'm so happy to see Origins getting the recognition it deserves. I've said this like a hundred times in these threads but Origins is up there with SMW, Yoshi's Island, the Kirby games and all the other classic platformers I used to play that were what got me hooked to videogames in the first place. And the multiplayer is. so. good. Mario-Kart-64-after-school good.

My gf and I 100%'d it, and now we can't wait to play through Legends much the same way. We devoured the demo in like 15 mins. And yeah, the talk about it being easier is kind of bumming me out, but we'll see.

Kifimbo

Working on a big update to the calendar. Meanwhile, here are the games of the week. Slow week, but four games with a lot of potential:

09/03/2013 - Total War: Rome II - Strategy - SEGA/Creative Assembly - $59.95
09/03/2013 - Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - Adventure - 505 Games/Starbreeze Studios - $14.99
uO5LKg2.jpg

09/04/2013 - Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse - Platformer - SEGA/SEGA Studios Australia - $14.99
uO5LKg2.jpg

09/04/2013 - Outlast - Survival horror - Red Barrels/Red Barrels - $19.99

You can add Rayman Legends in several countries.

Nillansan

Vlambeer are celebrating their three year anniversary today.

All the keys might have been claimed already, but they are giving away 50 Steam Luftrausers pre-order keys here. Good luck.

You can also download the Wasteland Kings prototype, Gun Godz and The Vlambeer Soundtrack for free.

JaseC

Working on a big update to the calendar. Meanwhile, here are the games of the week. Slow week, but four games with a lot of potential:

09/03/2013 - Total War: Rome II - Strategy - SEGA/Creative Assembly - $59.95
09/03/2013 - Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - Adventure - 505 Games/Starbreeze Studios - $14.99
uO5LKg2.jpg

09/04/2013 - Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse - Platformer - SEGA/SEGA Studios Australia - $14.99
uO5LKg2.jpg

09/04/2013 - Outlast - Survival horror - Red Barrels/Red Barrels - $19.99

You can add Rayman Legends in several countries.

Seeing as it's now Monday in the US, I'm hoping Castle of Illusion's store page goes up.

Echoed my thoughts exactly. I'm so happy to see Origins getting the recognition it deserves. I've said this like a hundred times in these threads but Origins is up there with SMW, Yoshi's Island, the Kirby games and all the other classic platformers I used to play that were what got me hooked to videogames in the first place. And the multiplayer is. so. good. Mario-Kart-64-after-school good.

My gf and I 100%'d it, and now we can't wait to play through Legends much the same way. We devoured the demo in like 15 mins. And yeah, the talk about it being easier is kind of bumming me out, but we'll see.

Assuming Legends supports local co-op, I think I'll play through it with a mate after we're done with Castlevania (he's a big God of War fan so I'm waiting until his week off before starting it). I could use a small break from Rayman, anyway; Origins is largely all I've played for the past couple of weeks.

AHA-Lambda

And now Papers, Please.

The only thing I can think of personally, is Cart Life.

Tizoc

If Castle of Illusion has a 2-pack, I'll get that. Otherwise I'll gift the Steam ver. and play it mainly on PS3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom