• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope that with Microsoft using blu-ray this time around uncompressed videos and CGs become the norm without exceptions this gen. Many PS3 games featured uncompressed video and it was wonderful, was annoying that the PC versions often used the 360 versions or some weird half compressed version inbetween the two.
Honestly I'd still prefer compressed videos, I'd rather not games be 50GB downloads with 40 of it being video.

Ideally cutscenes would be in-game from now on.

Ideally there would be no cutscenes.

Honestly I'd still prefer compressed videos, I'd rather not games be 50GB downloads with 40 of it being video.

Ideally cutscenes would be in-game from now on.

Ideally there would be no cutscenes.

I agree. I barely watch cut-scenes so I would hate to be downloading an extra 25GB of garbage each time.

An option would be nice.

Grief.exe

Just make them in game.

Pre-rendered or FMV cut scenes are a waste of space and a waste of development resources.

DMC3 is fucking hard and my hand hurts.

There are many times where transitional scenes or background info is well served via the usage of pre-rendered video, of course having most things being based around gameplay is always preferred but thinking things should only be as such is rather silly. Size really shouldn't be an issue these days, drives are cheap and will be needed anyway as texture sizes in general cause games to grow larger. Internet service providers need to stop skimping on quality connections, google fiber will hopefully drive healthy competition and cause other providers to step up their game.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I'm under the impression that prerendered cut scenes are actually used to cut down on development time as an in engine cutscene has to be bugtested to make sure it works under all sorts of circumstances, versus rendering a video once and having it be the same no matter what.

Think of all the times you've heard of someone dying during a cutscene because the trigger to turn off attacking AI didn't go off, or they forgot to make you invulnerable.

That said, I love in engine cutscenes and hate prerendered video.

Grief.exe

I thought there were game breaking bugs in this game?

None that I am aware of. It gets tossed around as one of the worst ports of all time, but the majority of issues have now been fixed via fan patches.

The worst I have run into so far is graphical glitches and the button prompt issues.

There are many times where transitional scenes or background info is well served via the usage of pre-rendered video, of course having most things being based around gameplay is always preferred but thinking things should only be as such is rather silly. Size really shouldn't be an issue these days, drives are cheap and will be needed anyway as texture sizes in general cause games to grow larger. Internet service providers need to stop skimping on quality connections, google fiber will hopefully drive healthy competition and cause other providers to step up their game.

Good points.

I'm under the impression that prerendered cut scenes are actually used to cut down on development time as an in engine cutscene has to be bugtested to make sure it works under all sorts of circumstances, versus rendering a video once and having it be the same no matter what.

Think of all the times you've heard of someone dying during a cutscene because the trigger to turn off attacking AI didn't go off, or they forgot to make you invulnerable.

More good points.

One reason I like in-engine is the scaling you get. DMC3 in-engine cut scenes now look amazing, the FMV looks terrible.

Deques

Got DMC3 working perfectly.

Running right now at 60 fps with forced MSAA and AF through Nvidia Inspector. As always with console games, the pre-rendered and compressed cut scenes look very jarring next to gameplay and in-engine cut scenes.

I have the controller working, but prompts still show up in the keyboard format they had before. Press 6, while holding 3, and hitting S....

And my hands are seriously cramping up all ready!

iNaFaej2PDrxl.png

Nice! Any tutorial on how you did it?
Maybe there is a reason for me to get it for PC

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

It's simply mind-boggling that very few developers have had the foresight to render pre-rendered cutscenes, whether they be CG or in-engine, at a higher resolution (say, 1080p) and then downscale the product to 720p for consoles, instead leaving PC users to deal with a 720p file blown up to a higher resolution.

Yes. There's some excellent cinematography (Hanna's disorienting escape, the long-take with Bana in the mdidle of the film, most of the ending sequence). The main characters are very interesting. It's a little light and underdeveloped in terms of script and story--which actually stands to reason given that it's basically a dark fairy tale--but very slick. Well worth watching. And yes, Saoirse is good in it. Also great score.

The biggest flaw with the script would have to be that the motive for Erik wanting Hanna to kill Marissa is never explored -- you can infer that it's a mission of vengeance, but then you can't help but ask "...what's the point?" considering the two were living undisturbed as Marissa had long since stopped looking for them. I agree about the soundtrack, too: The Chemical Brothers' style of music is, generally speaking, not my cup of tea, but they did a great job scoring the film.

Here's a fun fact: When Saoirse presented at the IFTAs earlier in the year (she wasn't nom'd for anything as her 2012 films were limited to festival circuits), the orchestra played The Devil is in the Details as she exited the stage.

I'm starting to appreciate Ittle Dew more. I beat the master dungeon, although
the boss attacked me a couple of times and then froze in place till I beat him, so I didn't really get any satisfaction out of defeating him.
I also found out the game has a really cool little secret
there's a hidden mostly empty dungeon that shares it's layout with the first dungeon from the Legend of Zelda that apparently only one person on the team knew was in the game.

It's simply mind-boggling that very few developers have had the foresight to render pre-rendered cutscenes, whether they be CG or in-engine, at a higher resolution (say, 1080p) and then downscale the product to 720p for consoles, instead leaving PC users to deal with a 720p file blown up to a higher resolution.

The biggest flaw with the script would have to be that the motive for Erik wanting Hanna to kill Marissa is never explored -- you can infer that it's a mission of vengeance, but then you can't help but ask "...what's the point?" considering the two were living undisturbed as Marissa had long since stopped looking for them. I agree about the soundtrack, too: The Chemical Brothers' style of music is, generally speaking, not my cup of tea, but they did a great job scoring the film.

Here's a fun fact: When Saoirse presented at the IFTAs earlier in the year (she wasn't nom'd for anything as her 2012 films were limited to festival circuits), the orchestra played The Devil is in the Details as she exited the stage.

I love how goddamn self aware you are of your creep level.

JaseC

I'm still waiting on Sega to put up the store page for Castle of Illusion, although with just two days to go until release my earlier prognostication that the Steam pre-order will also come with the MegaDrive original is looking highly unlikely.

Go see Here!

You Were Late!

Print Screen my Message Board so you cannot have hard feelings.... Oh Junior members...

I will PM the keys to the winners. Cheers!!!

1.- War of the Roses went to user: Addnan
2.- Europa Universalis went to user: woo and indeed hoo

Sweeeeet! Thanks FauX :).

Dont worry bro, is not hard felling hahaha... just saying i was too slow...thanks for your generosity...=)

edit: second-place finish..XD

First place runner up! :p

Well, it's PC/Mac 'DLC' only (automatically included it seems) and came out after the console releases without any actual input from Konami is my guess (hence the lack of Japanese voice and the rather... shit and unpolished gameplay in it)

Oh god this 'dialogue'... I can't stop laughing... "Oh shit! I cannot find any other words!" "Can't you feel the true taste of life?" "No, I feel I need a manicure." "We'll quarrel again now!" and yeah, I'm pretty sure this was all the Russian devs. This 'gameplay' reminds me way too much of what I played of the original Metro.
Walk walk walk, HORDE EVENT THAT GOES ON WAY TOO LONG, walk walk walk, HORDE EVENT THAT GOES ON WAY TOO LONG, etc...
Edit: And done. Yeah, the DLC is only worth it for the hilarious dialogue and total deadpan and tonally inconsistent delivery. The actual gameplay is extremely boring and repetitive.

Reminds me of the wonderfully camp guards in Rochard: " I need a massaaagggeee".

My prisons always end up in a bloody massacre so I can't help much lol

pes·ti·lence
/ˈpestələns/
Noun
A fatal epidemic disease, esp. bubonic plague.
Synonyms
plague - pest - epidemic - murrain

Hm....

Yeah, I intend to purchase from GMG if the MegaDrive original is a no-show and there's a 20% discount code to use.

What made you think that was happening in the first place? They specifically said it was a PSN exclusive deal and never even implied that it was coming to other systems.

Anyway, same idea as Arthea:
If you want one, shoot me a PM.

JaseC

What made you think that was happening in the first place? They specifically said it was a PSN exclusive deal and never even implied that it was coming to other systems.

I figured it was liable to also appear as a Steam pre-purchase incentive as Sega has a ton of emulated games on the service already and the lack of such information a few weeks ago was simply due to the fact that the PC version was not (and still isn't) up on Steam.

The_Monk

Morning y'all my good fellow GAFfers, hope everyone is doing fine.

Anyone thinking about picking Ironclad Tactics day One? It sure does look interesting.

Arthea

Morning y'all my good fellow GAFfers, hope everyone is doing fine.

Anyone thinking about picking Ironclad Tactics day One? It sure does look interesting.

Dunno why Ironclad Tactics reminded me of War of Roses immediately. I tried to play, and I must be ridiculously bad at it, as I am dying once a minute at least (><)

Woohoo! I finally got past 60's on the second level of Super Hexagon after about 6 hours. I hadn't played in about 2 weeks after getting frustrated at always bombing out in the 50 second range, came back and got it on the 3rd attempt.

JaseC

Night Land of the Livid Dead (the secret final level of Rayman Origins) wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be, probably because I collected all of the electoons and trophies in the mainline levels, which in some cases proved rather frustrating. I'm actually thinking of exiting and level and redoing it with a heart so the boss fight is less annoying.

Edit: And done. I have my heart!

Ryan_

Any thread dedicated to the Greenlit Anniversary Sale? Interested in some but don't know which ones are must-haves.

Any thread dedicated to the Greenlit Anniversary Sale? Interested in some but don't know which ones are must-haves.

Yeah I kind of browse the list once or twice a night then just give up.
Really could do with something between now and GTA5. Pretty sure my laptop wont run Bioshock infinite too well (only meets halfway between min and rec) and theres nothing else grabbing me..

maneil99

Starting to see the downside of trading, some people are very entitled, sorry that I can't get a 10$ game for the same discount as a 60$ game, sheesh, how did dunder deal with these guys, they treat you like a bloody robot. Told one guy I was planning on reformating my PC and flashing the bios and he told me if I did and made him wait an hour he'd back out of a 90$ deal. Lol some people man. Luckily none of these seem to be gaffers

Nillansan

Road Not Taken by Spry Fox will be available for PC and Mac via Steam in early 2014. The game is being described as a puzzle game with rogue-like game.

It is being promoted as a PS4 and Vita release, but it will be released on Steam as well (the same practise that we have seen quite a few other indie developers adopt).

A4HdNvl.jpg

Trailer

Site

maneil99

What happened to that game by the former LBP devsm death inc? I heard it got cancelled, looked good and the demo was nice

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Road Not Taken by Spry Fox will be available for PC and Mac via Steam in early 2014. The game is being described as a puzzle game with rogue-like game.

It is being promoted as a PS4 and Vita release, but it will be released on Steam as well (the same practise that we have seen quite a few other indie developers adopt).

A4HdNvl.jpg

Trailer

Site

Love that art style, will keep an eye out for this!

Edit: Oh, this is from the Triple Town guys right? I thought it looked familiar.

Jase, you put over 8 hours into Kinetic Void. Thoughts on it? Been debating on whether to get it or not. I know it's an Alpha, but do you think the final product will be worth it?

Anyone able to tell me if the pc versions of the lego games each year are any good? After LEgo City's horribly long load times and the choppy co-op performance of Disney Infinity this eyar, I'm tryin gto convince my girlfriend I could just get her Lego Marvel on PC now we've got one, for her and my kid to play in co-op. Before I go on the ahrd sell though, these prots are fine yea, nothing horrendous like no gamepad support, or weird clients/drm or anything?

I finished Sleeping Dogs yesterday, awesome game, will start the nightmare DLC today, what other DLC is worth it?

BTW, just realized I'm no longer a junior, yay!

JaseC

I finished Sleeping Dogs yesterday, awesome game, will start the nightmare DLC today, what other DLC is worth it?

Here's a Reddit user's guide to the DLC. If you're after missions in particular:

Story DLC with collectibles and achievements (1-3 hours):

Nightmare in North Point (Horror themed campaign)
Zodiac Tournament (Action movie themed campaign)
Year of the Snake (Police campaign)

Mission DLC including vehicles and outfits (10-45 mins):

SWAT Pack (20 cop missions)
Street Racer Pack (3 races)
Police Protection Pack ("High Speed" mission)
Martial Arts Pack (Fight mission)
Triad Enforcer Pack (High speed and fight missions)
Wheels of Fury Pack (Supercar missions)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Got DMC3 working perfectly.

Running right now at 60 fps with forced MSAA and AF through Nvidia Inspector. As always with console games, the pre-rendered and compressed cut scenes look very jarring next to gameplay and in-engine cut scenes.

I have the controller working, but prompts still show up in the keyboard format they had before. Press 6, while holding 3, and hitting S....

And my hands are seriously cramping up all ready!

iNaFaej2PDrxl.png
What about the sound problems? Were you able to fix them?

Copons

So... my gf played the shit out of Papers Please (like dozens of hours and she also wants to get endless mode, literally :D ), and she's starting to want more.

She asked me to suggest a game similar to Papers and I was totally baffled, both because I still hate her of playing #5 game in my wishlist before me, and because what the hell, does it even exist a game similar to this one?

I know she likes slow paced, relaxing games.
She's a fan of Ace Attorney and Prof. Layton on DS, but she doesn't really dig classic graphic adventures, like she loves Grim Fandango design but I've never actually see her playing any of Lucas games (even if I often pointed her to all my Lucas boxes in my bookshelves).
She's an old timer pro ( :D ) player of Sims 3 and she loved Chefville (to the point of convincing me to play it...).
And now Papers, Please.

Now, excellent SteamGAF fellows, what the hell am I supposed to suggest her to play?
(+100 if Humble Store games, so she get the DRM free and I the Steam key)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom