• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I don't get the love that Raymond Origins gets. The graphics are pretty nice but I feel the gameplay and platforming is pretty mediocre. I tried it on both 360 and PC and wasn't that impressed either time.

You guys are nuts. The controls and platforming are perfect: it's challenging and offers tons of variety. The momentum is tricky at first, as it's not as much a "press run to win" but you actually have to *GASP* play a bideo jame. Also it has, like I said, the most accurate swimming controls in video game history.

And to what Dice said, it's pretty much the opposite: you don't have to scramble towards anything as pretty much everything is laid out in front of you, bar some of the special coin things. The game is supposed to be FAST. You can literally run through the levels while still getting if not the best medal, at least the two pink things. And how is the unlock system complicated? You beat levels, you unlock the next. You collect lots of stuff, you get characters. I agree that the level end collecthaton is useless after a while and should be able to skip it (you can return to the world map at any point though to get the things you have unlocked).

Some pointers:

- When you hear a "help, help, help"-chant, a secret is near
- Hold R2/Right trigger to run. All the time.
- You fist is powerful, like really powerful, especially when you run. Hit the enemies with it. While you run. Enemies die, you won't get hurt.
- When in doubt, jump and glide
- Remember the spinjump thing from Mario. That's your tool here: run, press "punch" to gain momentum and jump: wow you jumped right over the tricky thing.
- On the time trial levels, the route is usually laid out for you: just jump, don't glide. No matter hard they may seem, you DON'T need a perfect run at all.
- You don't need all the yellow things. You can comeback to them later with more skills.
- Some obstacles leave you much more room than the sprite might indicate: dash (run + punch) through them if you are about to get squashed.
- Some levels drop things on you, but they are usually there just to scare you: when they drop you are most often already beside them.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I had a feeling you weren't liking it very much, but now the story has hooked you!
Exactly! It isn't half bad, and I really like how the combat feels.

Now I see why many people here said this game was great. Just like with Spec Ops and Hotline Miami, I'm glad I decided to listen.

So I've played a couple hours of Game Dev Tycoon and it is Game Dev Story with a fresh coat of paint, some extra mechanics, and great music. If you are on the fence and enjoy tycoon games I would recommend it. Sat down for what was supposed to be a half hour play session and next time I looked two hours had passed.

I love giving my games the most ridiculous names. So far my greatest success has been a series of games in the Aliens and Action genre, first game was called Anal Probers, first sequel named Rectal Destroyers, and the latest and hottest installment is named Colon Conquerors. For what ever reason, the public is absolutely eating it up, that one sold 4 million units o_O.

The public has awesome taste!

ArjanN

Looking through my library, other games I've begun playing only to put down later for one reason or another are:

- list

That list is... bigger than I was expecting. (Edit: 64 games. 63 if you discount FEAR.)

I'll get through it. One day.

Seems like you could cut down that list a lot by just not replaying things. :p

For example a game like Alice: Madness Returns is like a prime example of a game you only play once.

Hey, it worked for Ratchet & Clank.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Seems like you could cut down that list a lot by just not replaying things. :p

For example a game like Alice: Madness Returns is like a prime example of a game you only play once.

My mate insisted but then he lost interest about halfway through. :( And the same is true of Rage.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Yup, I'd totally buy the hell out of Colon Destroyers. Poophole Invaders could be a successful reboot of the franchise, turning it into a cinematic experience with regenerating health, lots of QTEs and even more assholes (or "arseholes" in the UK version) to defend than ever before!

The game is supposed to be FAST. You can literally run through the levels while still getting if not the best medal, at least the two pink things.

Funny, I've been trying to clear my backlog and Rayman was the game I played today. I originally didn't like it way back when and dropped it quickly. This time, I managed to get a bit more into it and gave it a chance.

I can really appreciate the graphics...but I think as per your comment it is only really at its best when you play it like an endless runner. Unfortunately I don't enjoy that style of game unless they are extremely well done, ironically such as Rayman Jungle Run (which is great).

I think I'll pass on the series for now.

Acorn

Does anyone know of any good campaign tutorials for Empire Total War? I own them all (including rome 2) but I feel like recreating the british empire, also the in game campaign tutorial is terrible.

I really don't know why I keep buying them when I still have no clue lol.

HoosTrax

Which game is this?

bl6.png

It's something in CBT I assume.

Tizoc

Well I'll be damned, Castle of Illusion does have have collectathon elements, I thought the 800 Gems didn't include the ones you'd find in the stages lol.

garath

Grim Dawn is pretty neat and I must say that I'm tempted to start Titan Quest again once I'm done with what the alpha offers (from what I can see of the map, it seems I have three more regions to explore in addition to the few I've already hacked and slashed my way through). The game has an Early Access listing in the registry, but considering alpha access costs $50, I assume Crate is waiting for the move to beta before putting it up (although that itself is rather pricey, at $35).

Nordic said several weeks ago that it intends to revisit the hodgepodge of IPs it snatched from the corpse of THQ, so I hope when it's Titan Quest's turn to be in the spotlight, Crate is given a chance to revisit the series, given the studio is chiefly composed of Iron Lore refugees.

Edit: Actually, having read my old impressions post (which I feel still applies -- Grim Dawn is practically a reskinned Titan Quest, but improved in the few areas its predecessor fell short), it seems I have around five or so more areas to complete.

Thanks for all your impressions on Grim Dawn. My buddy and I LOVED Titan's Quest. Really my only complaint with it was how sprawling it is. It was almost too big. I liked everything else though.

Can't wait for the beta.

JaseC

No lurker restriction this time around as I gather just about everybody has purchased this bundle:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Dungeonland -- MB-0FF2DA93E9267FA5 - Taken by webrunner
Warlock Master of the Arcane -- MB-058FFF314BB70436 - Taken by mannerbot
The Showdown Effect -- MB-BA37270D361973CD - Taken by Alessandro
War of the Roses Kingmaker -- MB-58A78C62AF0C1BBF - Taken by Deques
Europa Universalis 3 Complete -- MB-B66E3A3968DD7084 - Taken by LiquidSolid

Thanks for all your impressions on Grim Dawn. My buddy and I LOVED Titan's Quest. Really my only complaint with it was how sprawling it is. It was almost too big. I liked everything else though.

Can't wait for the beta.

Yeah, Titan Quest is massive to a fault. I sunk about 20 hours into the game last I played and was only 2-3 hours into the second act (Egypt, IIRC). Crate has said that Grim Dawn's total length (sans the planned expansion pack) will be approximately equal to that of TQ's first act, which is fine by me.

Edit: I think me ninja-editing this in may have broken ModBot's editing.

mannerbot

Zeno Clash and Zeno Clash II coupon:

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

Zeno Clash -- MB-6248D8822B009AF2 - Taken by BorntoPlay

edit: thanks for Warlock, JaseC!

HoosTrax

Yeah, Titan Quest is massive to a fault. I sunk about 20 hours into the game last I played and was only 2-3 hours into the second act (Egypt, IIRC). Crate has said that Grim Dawn's total length (sans the planned expansion pack) will be approximately equal to that of TQ's first act, which is fine by me.
I loved TQ for its setting. Gothic and medieval are so overdone in this genre -- the lush, sunny setting (with the exception of Immortal Throne) was a real looker. The game looks great even today and plays nicely at HD resolutions. It has aged really well imho.

Derrick01

Banned
I stopped playing 2033 as I wasn't satisfied with the performance I was getting with a 570 at max settings, so I told myself I'd wait until I got a 670. That was about a year ago now.

Looking through my library, other games I've begun playing only to put down later for one reason or another are:

*list of games that's way too long*

I'll get through it. One day.

Good lord Jase you need to start playing games and not just collecting them.

I'd start with the Batman games once they finally get gfwl taken out. Great games.

Derrick, you're back! Please stick around this time, we all suffer when you're MIA - the place is all the better for your presence.

(Salsa, if you're lurking, this applies to you too, you scallywag - oh, and I'm, sorry I missed your birthday, I was majorly ill at the time. I hope you had a good one!)

Thanks, I'll try.

JaseC

I loved TQ for its setting. Gothic and medieval are so overdone in this genre -- the lush, sunny setting (with the exception of Immortal Throne) was a real looker. The game looks great even today and plays nicely at HD resolutions. It has aged really well imho.

Yeah, I particularly loved the coastal regions.

edit: thanks for Warlock, JaseC!
Thanks for Europa Universalis III, JaseC!

No worries. :)

Deques

No lurker restriction this time around as I gather just about everybody has purchased this bundle:

Edit: I think me ninja-editing this in may have broken ModBot's editing.

Thanks for War of the Roses

I completed only act 1 and only played maybe 1 or 2 hours into the second act. I don't know what made me not to continue with it. Maybe too many games, or it could be Starcraft 2 when it was released, I played too much of it.

Grim Dawn will only be the same size as Act 1? It seems too short to me :(

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Not to brag, but I got a Ittle Dew foil and sold it for $20. I guess it was rare or something and someone really wanted the that badge.
No one has bought my $20 Storm foil, and it's the only one of the kind that's on the market. Oh well, I already knew no one was going to bite at that price.

JaseC

Good lord Jase you need to start playing games and not just collecting them.

I'd start with the Batman games once they finally get gfwl taken out. Great games.

Once I'm done with FEAR and Grim Dawn, I'll move on to Dark Souls. Hopefully, by the time I've completed the game grown tired of dying continually, Asylum and City will be GFWL-free.

Tenrius

I lost my Arkham City save file thanks to GFWL. I finished the game by then, but not being able to do New Game+ is disheartening.

JaseC

Thanks for War of the Roses

No worries. :)

I completed only act 1 and only played maybe 1 or 2 hours into the second act. I don't know what made me not to continue with it. Maybe too many games, or it could be Starcraft 2 when it was released, I played too much of it.

Grim Dawn will only be the same size as Act 1? It seems too short to me :(

Around the same size, yeah, give or take a little while. I think it'll clock in at around 20 hours or so.

HoosTrax

Spacewar is a small Valve game to showcase the Steamworks API. Pirates are abusing it to play Payday 2.
Are they able to play online or just the somewhat useless offline mode? Just wondering as a matter of curiosity (I own the game), as if they're able to play online, that's kind of a serious loophole they probably want to close before developers start complaining.

Derrick01

Banned
I lost my Arkham City save file thanks to GFWL. I finished the game by then, but not being able to do New Game+ is disheartening.

I lost my save too, although I was going to start over anyway so it doesn't matter much.

What really annoys me is that I can't use GFWL at all because it can't read passwords that have symbols in it, even though Outlook/Xbox can. So I'd have to change my password to something weaker just to use a program that's probably going to eat my saves anyway.

JaseC

What really annoys me is that I can't use GFWL at all because it can't read passwords that have symbols in it, even though Outlook/Xbox can. So I'd have to change my password to something weaker just to use a program that's probably going to eat my saves anyway.

I had a similar issue with my Uplay password. I couldn't sign into my account from within Far Cry 2 (I wanted to unlock the DLC) and soon realised that although the Uplay client and website support special characters, Far Cry 2's own log-in form doesn't, so I had to change my password.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I lost my save too, although I was going to start over anyway so it doesn't matter much.

generate a per-application password at account.live.com

FloatOn

at this point in the game saints row 4 has become the jedi simulator the 5 year old me has always wanted. I'm only using telekinesis and energy sword from here on out*:

* until I get bored again.

Eanan

Saints row 4 is my current game of the year (will obviously change when GTA 5 comes out).

I dont give a fook if its not an "indie" game and is super silly, its a very fun game, and games are meant to be FUN.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I hate that I am making myself wait until Saints Row 4 goes on sale. It looks amazing and I loved the third game, but I just can't afford to get it at full price. I'm putting half my disposable income towards saving for a house and I am having to be way too thrifty. I'll see if I have anything left at the end of the month and then maybe
but probably GTA 5 instead

Derrick01

Banned
I had a similar issue with my Uplay password. I couldn't sign into my account from within Far Cry 2 (I wanted to unlock the DLC) and soon realised that although the Uplay client and website support special characters, Far Cry 2's own log-in form doesn't, so I had to change my password.

Yeah like EA, Ubi didn't bother updating their older pre-uplay games with the proper support. That's when you know they're serious about their PC platforms.

I still remember having to go through a several hour long internet-treasure hunt with Origin support just to register my Mass Effect 1 key from Amazon to my Origin library. They lost me when they told me I had to make a pogo account to get it to work. It made no sense at all.

generate a per-application password at account.live.com

Oooh I didn't even know they did this. Thanks.

FloatOn

I will say this about Saints Row 4. It is probably the best drunk game I've ever played in my life even besting the mighty EDF Insect Armageddon in terms of silliness.

However, if we are to just talk about the game under a microscope these are the faults with it that may or may not bother you when/if you play it:

- Normal is too easy.
- Hardcore is a nice challenge until it get's ludicrous with enemy spawns.
- The typical sandbox game tedium is felt pretty quickly since the side activities repeat often.
- Pipe mania style store hacking is a horrible mini game. Most of us got bored with this style of mini game since the original Bioshock. Should have been sudoku or hell, anything that doesn't involve pieces of pipe.

All that said, everything else works as it should and is really fun. The humor is top notch as well.

Derrick01

Banned
I must be weird. I found SR3 boring. Its why I didn't get SR4 since it looks like SR3 with powers.

It is basically. It has the same problems 3 had like the awful city, short main story littered with junk missions, boring and repetitive side content.

I'm pretty sure if you were to skip the side missions and loyalty missions, which make you do the repetitive side content over and over again, the main story would only take you 5-7 hours. You can't even really get any fun out of the orbs in the game because they're not placed cleverly at all, it's like someone made a random orb generator and hit enter.

Edit: I wrote a more detailed explanation yesterday in the game's OT

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=79852929&postcount=2840

It is basically. It has the same problems 3 had like the awful city, short main story littered with junk missions, boring and repetitive side content.

I'm pretty sure if you were to skip the side missions and loyalty missions, which make you do the repetitive side content over and over again, the main story would only take you 5-7 hours. You can't even really get any fun out of the orbs in the game because they're not placed cleverly at all, it's like someone made a random orb generator and hit enter.

it just wasn't the same without you Derrick :D

Almost finished up with The Walking Dead. Just....holy shit.

just cut off my fucking arm....immediately regretted it, but the dialogue is hilarious

jediyoshi

You can't even really get any fun out of the orbs in the game because they're not placed cleverly at all, it's like someone made a random orb generator and hit enter.

Granted, at least half are placed explicitly on top of roofs or places that require you to platform to get them. I think not getting any fun out of them would probably require a good chunk of them just lining the street and hitting forward to get them.

Derrick01

Banned
Granted, at least half are placed explicitly on top of roofs or places that require you to platform to get them. I think not getting any fun out of them would probably require a good chunk of them just lining the street and hitting forward to get them.

Any kind of effort is usually gone by the time you upgrade your character though. When your guy has max jump and can run up walls and glide seemingly forever it just becomes a chore. Even those 4 tower things, if you wait until you're maxed out to do them then you can just power up your super jump and jump past the whole tower in a couple of jumps.

At least in Crackdown I don't think you could run up walls (I forget exactly though, it was a long time ago) so you had to actually platform and time things.

FloatOn

the ones that require super powers to get are mostly hidden out of the way. I've had some fun finding those.

I do wish though that the traversal super powers were more a gradual thing. From pretty much the start of the game you can jump and glide from one section of the city to the next. Which then trivializes the use of any vehicle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom