• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Guys, does anyone remember how I said last night (or the night before, can't remember) that Dust was much better than I first thought? Well, it still keeps getting better and better.

Seriously, I kinda feel ashamed (not really) for thinking that I'm beginning to like the characters and care for them, when at first I disliked them (they seemed SO silly) and the voice acting. So yeah, this is a really great game and totally grew on me. Don't know if I'll go for 100% completion, but I'd like to at some point.

I had a feeling you weren't liking it very much, but now the story has hooked you!

DukeBobby

Thanks I pulled the trigger on it, I have the first one in my backlog and was planning to play this after the first one. Whats the length on both of these?

Metro 2033: 8-10 hours
Metro: Last Light: 10-12 hours

They might be the same length, but Last Light felt a bit longer to me.

Atomski

Y'all take everything way too seriously.
1320993611.png

Anyways dumb question.. with all the next gen talk lately where the hell is the Steam Box?

I keep figuring it has to be shown before the consoles are released but I am starting to get doubtful now.

Derrick01

Banned
I still need to finish the first Metro some day. Actually it's more like I have to really play it since I never made it past the first hour. It just never hooked me, I guess it's the whole being stuck in dreary subway tunnels that always puts me off.

Metro Last Light looks amazing. Like holy shit I can' believe my eyes, next gen amazing. O_O

Also, damn Rome passed 100k concurrent on release day. That's really good.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I still need to finish the first Metro some day. Actually it's more like I have to really play it since I never made it past the first hour. It just never hooked me, I guess it's the whole being stuck in dreary subway tunnels that always puts me off.

I stopped playing 2033 as I wasn't satisfied with the performance I was getting with a 570 at max settings, so I told myself I'd wait until I got a 670. That was about a year ago now.

Looking through my library, other games I've begun playing only to put down later for one reason or another are:

- Age 2 HD
- Alice: Madness Returns (need to complete a second playthough I'd begun with a mate)
- Alpha Protocol
- Aquaria
- Bastion
- Batman: Arkham Asylum (although I had earlier played through the game on the PS3)
- Batman: Arkham City
- Binary Domain
- BioShock 2 (although I did later play through the PS3 version)
- Borderlands 2
- Botanicula
- Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
- Company of Heroes
- Costume Quest
- Crysis 2 (although I had earlier played the Origin version)
- Dark Souls
- Divinity: Dragon Commander
- Doom 3
- DuckTales Remastered
- Dungeon Siege 3
- Dust
- Skyrim
- Evoland
- FEAR (although I am working through it at the moment and had completed it back in 2006)
- FEAR 3
- Fallout 3
- Far Cry 2 (although I had earlier played through the PS3 version)
- GTAIV: Episodes from Liberty City
- Grim Dawn alpha
- Hard Reset
- Hitman: Sniper Challenge
- The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing (but only because I figured I ought to finish the Grim Dawn alpha first)
- Kentucky Route Zero (waiting on more content)
- Kingdoms of Amalur (need to play through the DLC but was burnt out after painstakingly completing the main campaign)
- Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
- Lego Indiana Jones
- Majesty: Gold Edition
- Mark of the Ninja
- Mass Effect
- Medal of Honor 2010
- Metro 2033
- Mirror's Edge (although I'd earlier played through the PS3 version)
- Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee (although I played through the game way back when)
- Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
- Psychonauts
- Quake (although I played through the game way back when)
- Quake 2 (as above)
- Quake 3 (as above)
- Rage (need to complete a second playthrough I'd begun with a mate)
- Rise of the Triad 2013
- Risen
- STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl
- Saint's Row 3
- Sin (although I played through the game way back when)
- Sin Episodes: Emergence
- Sleeping Dogs (need to complete the story-expanding DLC)
- Thief Gold
- Titan Quest (although a mate and I played through it, and Immortal Throne, co-operatively several years ago)
- Toki Tori
- Torchlight 2
- Space Marine
- The Witcher 2 (just the Iorveth path + Enhanced Edition content)
- Worms Armageddon
- XCOM: Enemy Unknown

That list is... bigger than I was expecting. (Edit: 64 games. 63 if you discount FEAR.)

tumblr_msh9smbxt41rmyfvko1_250.gif

I'll get through it. One day.

maneil99

I still need to start half of my games. I think it would be a great idea to include a special card,not a foil or regular card, that you only get after completion of the game

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I'll get through it. One day.
I keep doing that. If I realize I've done it. I ask myself "Do I want to play it this week?" and if the answer is no I uninstall it. Other times I run into enough problems that I'll say the game sucks and intentionally stop playing it forever, and when I explain why, people usually don't appreciate my criticisms. I often feel like if games were coffee we have a bunch of Folgers drinkers around here. Oh well.

JaseC

I keep doing that. If I realize I've done it. I ask myself "Do I want to play it this week?" and if the answer is no I uninstall it. Other times I run into enough problems that I'll say the game sucks and intentionally stop playing it forever, and when I explain why, people usually don't appreciate my criticisms. I often feel like if games were coffee we have a bunch of Folgers drinkers around here. Oh well.

Some of the games listed I've sunk several hours into and intend to complete sooner rather than later (e.g. Dark Souls and Mark of the Ninja), but quite a few others I've played for less than an hour and have little desire to resume. Mass Effect is something of an outlier in that I've played it for about 90 minutes all up, but simply don't find it as enrapturing as many others do.

Grief.exe

I don't see the point of maxing games, you can only have so much AA, AO, and Tesselation before you start hitting massive diminishing returns.

Just put it on an acceptable setting, and enjoy 60+fps.

I don't see the point of maxing games, you can only have so much AA, AO, and Tesselation before you start hitting massive diminishing returns.

I wish more games would let you turn the draw distance/lod settings up to 11, that has a much more meaningful impact than having slightly better AO or slightly better AA (past 4x msaa I don't really care anymore)

Addnan

Aiming to run every game at max settings is stupid. More often than not the highest setting adds so little, yet is more demanding than you can imagine. Metro 2033 is the prime example of piece of shit to run at max settings. Why do you think it's used to benchmark all GPUs and Titan looks crap when running it at 'max' settings. Stick your games down to the next highest level and try to tell the difference.

Sajjaja

I don't see the point OF SHUT UP :mad:

I'm crying because I can't max anything except Day of Defeat.

JaseC

Aiming to run every game at max settings is stupid. More often than not the highest setting adds so little, yet is more demanding than you can imagine. Metro 2033 is the prime example of piece of shit to run at max settings. Why do you think it's used to benchmark all GPUs and Titan looks crap when running it at 'max' settings. Stick your games down to the next highest level and try to tell the difference.

I don't intend to play everything at max settings, it's just that when I began playing Metro 2033 I was already planning to purchase a 670 in the near future, so I figured I'd wait and move on to something else.

Darksiders 2 is a perfect example of the bold -- a patch added an option to adjust shadow quality and throughout my (admittedly somewhat brief) testing, there was no discernible difference between the highest and penultimate setting, however the former introduced a significant performance hit.

Mordeccai

So I've played a couple hours of Game Dev Tycoon and it is Game Dev Story with a fresh coat of paint, some extra mechanics, and great music. If you are on the fence and enjoy tycoon games I would recommend it. Sat down for what was supposed to be a half hour play session and next time I looked two hours had passed.

I love giving my games the most ridiculous names. So far my greatest success has been a series of games in the Aliens and Action genre, first game was called Anal Probers, first sequel named Rectal Destroyers, and the latest and hottest installment is named Colon Conquerors. For what ever reason, the public is absolutely eating it up, that one sold 4 million units o_O.

I love giving my games the most ridiculous names. So far my greatest success has been a series of games in the Aliens and Action genre, first game was called Anal Probers, first sequel named Rectal Destroyers, and the latest and hottest installment is named Colon Conquerors. For what ever reason, the public is absolutely eating it up, that one sold 4 million units o_O.

My lawyers will be in touch regarding your blatant copyright transgressions.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I'm playing Space Marine, I can see why you abandoned it, it's a mediocre game saved by the fantastic 40k lore and settings.
It's a mosou that isn't unplayably bad, which is sort of an achievement, I guess. The multi was underrated but I imagine that it's barren now.

Wok

This is still available.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot recently [since the start of beta testing for ModBot], you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

Zeno Clash -- MB-EC685382E44DF971 - Taken by Anteater

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Next on the list of popular games I don't like: Rayman Origins

Don't like the feel of the controls, which I guess is an all-round dealbreaker in a platformer. I don't like its frequent use of momentum, especially when it is forced. I don't like the many timed things in it, be it time trial challenges or things that pop up far out of reach so you have to scramble to get them or just replay the level until you know a route or way of momentum to get them. I don't know, it's weird for me. A lot of things I hate here I love in Sonic Generations. Some elements are also fantastic in Crash Bandicoot and Super Meat Boy. Why it is annoying here is something I can't describe.

The characters are also completely uncompelling to me, and the unlocking system is too ambiguous yet complicated, but even if there was something to properly explain it I wouldn't be interested because it ultimately comes down to a shitty collectathon system. The forced tally animation at the end of every level only makes it more obnoxious. Even if I worked hard to get the best possible on a level, I don't give a shit about watching that thing fill. Thankfully I picked this up for $3.50 or something so no biggie. It was a curiosity that had to be satiated.

JaseC

Grim Dawn is pretty neat and I must say that I'm tempted to start Titan Quest again once I'm done with what the alpha offers (from what I can see of the map, it seems I have three more regions to explore in addition to the few I've already hacked and slashed my way through). The game has an Early Access listing in the registry, but considering alpha access costs $50, I assume Crate is waiting for the move to beta before putting it up (although that itself is rather pricey, at $35).

Nordic said several weeks ago that it intends to revisit the hodgepodge of IPs it snatched from the corpse of THQ, so I hope when it's Titan Quest's turn to be in the spotlight, Crate is given a chance to revisit the series, given the studio is chiefly composed of Iron Lore refugees.

Edit: Actually, having read my old impressions post (which I feel still applies -- Grim Dawn is practically a reskinned Titan Quest, but improved in the few areas its predecessor fell short), it seems I have around five or so more areas to complete.

oipic

Don't get too excited. With the way my bans are progressing I'll be gone for giving someone a :mad: face in a few days.

Yeah I'm a bit salty.

Derrick, you're back! Please stick around this time, we all suffer when you're MIA - the place is all the better for your presence.

(Salsa, if you're lurking, this applies to you too, you scallywag - oh, and I'm, sorry I missed your birthday, I was majorly ill at the time. I hope you had a good one!)

One of my favorite games of the past few years. A brilliant shmup.

How does Sine Mora compare (if at all) to Jamestown? the latter was the first shmup I've played in YEARS, and I loved it until I hit a seemingly insurmountable difficulty spike (I suck at games, all the games).

JaseC

If I remember correctly Grim Dawn is based on the same engine as Titan Quest. So it is pretty much a reskinned Titan Quest

Yeah, surprisingly THQ was more than happy to let Crate have the Titan Quest engine.

JaseC

At that time THQ was desperate to get as much money as possible :)

"Pay to the order of THQ. One cent... and no cents."

Edit: I should probably note that my surprise was due to me assuming that the tech was tied to the Titan Quest IP itself. It would have been great had Crate snagged both!

Bluth54

Next on the list of popular games I don't like: Rayman Origins

Don't like the feel of the controls, which I guess is an all-round dealbreaker in a platformer. I don't like its frequent use of momentum, especially when it is forced. I don't like the many timed things in it, be it time trial challenges or things that pop up far out of reach so you have to scramble to get them or just replay the level until you know a route or way of momentum to get them. I don't know, it's weird for me. A lot of things I hate here I love in Sonic Generations. Some elements are also fantastic in Crash Bandicoot and Super Meat Boy. Why it is annoying here is something I can't describe.

The characters are also completely uncompelling to me, and the unlocking system is too ambiguous yet complicated, but even if there was something to properly explain it I wouldn't be interested because it ultimately comes down to a shitty collectathon system. The forced tally animation at the end of every level only makes it more obnoxious. Even if I worked hard to get the best possible on a level, I don't give a shit about watching that thing fill. Thankfully I picked this up for $3.50 or something so no biggie. It was a curiosity that had to be satiated.

Yeah I don't get the love that Raymond Origins gets. The graphics are pretty nice but I feel the gameplay and platforming is pretty mediocre. I tried it on both 360 and PC and wasn't that impressed either time.

JaseC

Yeah, but they could have easily used the code anyway, I'm pretty sure they have a copy of the code, also as far as I know they are updating a lot of the engine.

Actually, it seems I misremembered. According to this interview, the engine remained the property of Iron Lore's founders:

It was a tough time and I actually considered calling it quits. The prospect of getting any funding to do anything seemed dreary at best and we had no programmer, so it didn’t seem like we could do much by ourselves. It was at that point that I learned the owners of Iron Lore had moved on to other things and had no plans to use the Titan Quest engine. I also noticed that the number of active users on titanquest.net had grown dramatically over the years instead of declining as you’d typically expect. I realized there were a lot of Titan Quest fans who wanted another game, so I went to talk to the Iron Lore owners and worked out a deal for the rights to the engine.
----------
Even if they had the source code, I don't think they would be allowed to use it

Also, this. If an entity can lay claim to ownership of the tech, then using it without license is asking for a ton of legal trouble. A good example of that is Silicon Knights abandoning its UE3 licence only to continue using the tech to build its "own" engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom