• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Molotov

Bros i need a new game that has the following conditions, help me steam GAFfers.

#1 Must have some type of RPG progression (loot or skill progression)
#2 Must be easily playable with a controller (rules out bl2, tl2, etc.)
#3 Must be able to be played in short bursts (like rogue legacy)

Basically this is coming from getting totally engrossed in rogue legacy and realizing there was a giant hole in my life that only rogue legacy and other games like it could fill. What an amazing game.

I played 60+ hours of Borderlands 2 with the 360 pad.
AixfG.png

Disregarding that...Darksiders 2, maybe?

Tenrius

How is Divinity 2? The only Larian game I've played is Dragon Commander, which I really enjoyed.

I liked it. The combat was simple and well-executed (if not particularly polished), there were a few instances of visual design being totally awesome and there were a handful of fun and unique things (like turning into a dragon, having a huge citadel of your own, reading people's minds and more). There are some pretty interesting sidequests, but the game itself is very much action-oriented. That's all based on the original version I played around its release time, have no idea about Dragon Knight Saga and its improvements/additional content.

FloatOn

Bros i need a new game that has the following conditions, help me steam GAFfers.

Basically this is coming from getting totally engrossed in rogue legacy and realizing there was a giant hole in my life that only rogue legacy and other games like it could fill. What an amazing game.

The Spelunky remake is what you want. You do progress with various pieces of loot but when you die it's all gone because of permadeath and it's the perfect short burst game for just that reason.

I'd also recommend Bastion as you can knock out a level or challenge map in 10-15 minutes or so and all the different gear and upgrades you can progress with are very enjoyable.

maneil99

GTA V

Nillansan

Thank you for your contribution. It really adds to the topic in question.

The Spelunky remake is what you want. You do progress with various pieces of loot but when you die it's all gone because of permadeath and it's the perfect short burst game for just that reason.

I'd also recommend Bastion as you can knock out a level or challenge map in 10-15 minutes or so and all the different gear and upgrades you can progress with are very enjoyable.

Great suggestions. Bastion can end up feeling a bit repetitive after a while, I would recommend that you play something else after a level or two just to avoid getting burned out.

Baha

I found out why Paranormal wasn't showing up on some of our Desura collection pages. Desura allows you to filter your games by operating system and there's no notice anywhere that I'm aware of that they're being filtered. To fix:

• Go to the info page of any game on Desura
  • In the top right it should say Platforms - Windows, Mac, Linux (some may not be there, depending on the game--screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/hqspMEy.png)
  • Click on Windows
  • All games will now show up in your collection, including Paranormal
  • http://www.desura.com/collection

We should be getting keys for Paranautical Activity sometime according to what the devs stated in the past.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwOU3bnuU0k

Whools

Wow, nice Weekend deals. time to pull the trigger on 400 days methinks, tempted by fez but my backlog is too damn full. haven't touched sir or don't starve and only managed 40 minutes of gone home.

Tenrius

So I'm downloading some Arkham City DLC via the GFWL overlay. For some reason, you can redeem the keys & start the downloads just fine from it, but an attempt to view the full download list prompts you to launch an external GFWL client. Surprisingly, said client works as intended, but you are also met with a standard Steam overlay launch prompt when you open it. It's, uh, ironic.

FloatOn

Great suggestions. Bastion can end up feeling a bit repetitive after a while, I would recommend that you play something else after a level or two just to avoid getting burned out.

This is true. I found that switching out your weapons and augmenting the difficulty with the different idols helped with that though.

Cth

Wow, nice Weekend deals. time to pull the trigger on 400 days methinks, tempted by fez but my backlog is too damn full. haven't touched sir or don't starve and only managed 40 minutes of gone home.

Crap, bad timing Steam, bad timing :D

Only had 15 hours last month. And I'm not scheduled at all this week either.

Does 400 Days need a save game from the original or does it function as standalone? I bought and beat it on the Xbox. I have a copy of TWD on Steam, just trying to avoid having to add to my backlog even more I guess :p

Just bought MirrorMoon with the last of my SteamCards.. wish I had seen FEZ was on sale before then.

Steam really IS an addiction!

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Is there any reason to pick up Fez if I already own it on XBLA?
Not right now, at least. It's been $5 before. Since you're not chomping at the bit to double-dip, I'd wait until it hits 75% off in however-many months.

Kifimbo

The following games were added:

09/05/2013 - Rise of Flight: Channel Battles Edition - Flight Sim - 1C Company/777 Studios - $49.99
09/05/2013 - Paranautical Activity - FPS - Code Avarice/Code Avarice - $9.99
Em05pds.png

2013 - Age of Empires II HD – The Forgotten - RTS - Microsoft/Skybox Labs - $XX.XX
uO5LKg2.jpg

2014 - Sniper Elite 3 - FPS - Rebellion/Rebellion - $XX.XX
TBA - Risen 3 - RPG - Deep Silver/Piranha Bytes - $XX.XX
TBA - Space Hulk: Deathwing - FPS - Streum On Studio/Streum On Studio - $XX.XX

More to come...

catabarez

The following games were added:

09/05/2013 - Rise of Flight: Channel Battles Edition - Flight Sim - 1C Company/777 Studios - $49.99
09/05/2013 - Paranautical Activity - FPS - Code Avarice/Code Avarice - $9.99
Em05pds.png

2013 - Age of Empires II HD – The Forgotten - RTS - Microsoft/Skybox Labs - $XX.XX
uO5LKg2.jpg

2014 - Sniper Elite 3 - FPS - Rebellion/Rebellion - $XX.XX
TBA - Risen 3 - RPG - Deep Silver/Piranha Bytes - $XX.XX
TBA - Space Hulk: Deathwing - FPS - Streum On Studio/Streum On Studio - $XX.XX

More to come...

I love the list but you should also make a Google docs spreadsheet that you can link to as you update.

I hope they add dismemberment in Sniper Elite 3. It was silly blowing a person's grenade by shooting it and having there be no real damage done to them.

liezryou

I heard The Last Remnant was all sorts of great on PCs, might be up your alley?

Played through it once before a while ago.

The controller bit kinda makes it hard. I was going to suggest FTL and Dungeons of Dredmor...

Played both.

Sword of the Stars: The Pit.
rougelike, controller supported decently (could be better), quick to play. Has a demo on steam.

Now this game seems interesting, i'll check it out.

Get XPadder and then try out The Binding of Isaac with the Wrath of the Lamb DLC, which I personally think is an essential expansion to the game.

I can send you the XPadder configuration that I am using for TBoI if you like.

Played it.

La-Mulana might tick those boxes.
From a more pure action standpoint, Shank 2.
Cave Story+ if you haven't played it is outstanding.

I'll check out La-Mulana, played the other 2.

Prototype. Open world super power game, has a skill progression system, full controller support, and you can play it in bite sized sessions on a mission to mission basis.

Edit: Oh and Dark Souls goes without saying, I just assume everyone's played it by now.

Have played both :p.

I played 60+ hours of Borderlands 2 with the 360 pad.
AixfG.png

Disregarding that...Darksiders 2, maybe?

Playing a shooter on computer with controller seems... counter intuitive. Anyway, i'll give it a shot. Darksiders 2 didn't really click with me as much as a the first.

Played bastion. I literally just started spelunky, it seems really fun. The lack of a consistent character progression really turns me off though. But it's good for sitting down in short bursts :p.

As usual your posts are insightful, provocative and relevant to the topic of discussion.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

mannerbot

I literally just started spelunky, it seems really fun. The lack of a consistent character progression really turns me off though. But it's good for sitting down in short bursts :p.

There is persistent progression, but it's in your own skill as a player rather than grinding for gold. Fantastic game.

I just went through some of the tutorials of Crusader Kings 2 and thought "i got this".

Started a game and quickly found out : "I don't got this". I have no idea what the hell is going on.

maneil99

I just got a CSGO card drop, even though I maxed them out awhile ago, did they reset or a glitch, my friends got them too

Whools

Get started on all three of those games!

Working on it. Still have loads of games from summer seal too.

Does 400 Days need a save game from the original or does it function as standalone? I bought and beat it on the Xbox. I have a copy of TWD on Steam, just trying to avoid having to add to my backlog even more I guess :p

Steam really IS an addiction!

You need a copy of TWD on steam for sure, but I think you can play it standalone, it uses your save in places i've heard though, but you could always grab a save from somewhere online. Does anywhere have like a save archive of all the branching decisions, like someone did for mass effect (I think I heard something about that anyway)

And true dat.

Sajjaja

I think most people recommend reading this LP since the in-game tutorial is garbage, so you could try that.

I tried to do that before, but then I realized that the game is randomized and dynamic. Really the best advice I could give is just play. And yeah, the in game tutorial isn't the greatest, but it's enough to set you on your way to start playing and somewhat grasp the mechanics.

Terra_Ex

I just went through some of the tutorials of Crusader Kings 2 and thought "i got this".

Started a game and quickly found out : "I don't got this". I have no idea what the hell is going on.
When the tutorial failed me and the LP linked above proved of limited worth, what helped me to finally grasp wtf is going in CK2 was this series of video guides:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMzAXqOqV5k

After watching a few of them and playing alongside, it was smooth sailing.

Ugh why did I buy Outlast, don't have a working mic at the moment so I can't stream. I'm all alone with these horrible horrors in the dark and with some old headphones found ;-;

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Got a chance to crack into Outlast tonight. Hate to say it, but I'm disappointed. The first jump scare got me good, but everything after that was just kind of boring. I spent about 10 minutes running away from a guy who couldn't manage to kill me. He cornered me multiple times, but you're capable of taking multiple hits from enemies without dying. It actually got a little chuckle out of me, because of the horns that play every time you're "spotted." I would run into a room and the music would start to fade out, then this ridiculous horn would play as I watched the guy come running through the doorway after me.

I'm playing in the dark with headphones on, and I even have blackout curtains in the bedroom since I work nights. I'm trying to be scared. All I feel is disappointment that I spent the last of my Steam card funds on this instead of Amnesia.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
A man of taste, I see. : ) This always puts me in the Deus Ex/cyberpunk mood.
Hell yeah! Time is my favorite album from them, I'm a big fan of "Yours truly, 2095" and "The lights go down" (the latter of which I play -poorly, of course- in the bass).

Funny little story: when I was playing Vice City for the first time, there was a song I really liked on Flash FM. I remember trying to beat a particular race at the car showroom, which was very hard. Every time I lost I loaded the game again and gave it another try, and every time, right as the race was beginning, this song started playing on the radio. It helped make my failures less frustrating, because I was looking forward to hearing it again. Mind you, I had heard (and liked) a couple of ELO songs before, but didn't know this one. Then one day I remembered that my uncle had lent me a greatest hits album not too long ago, which I had ripped to my PC (hey, I did buy their albums afterwards, OK?), and I decided to give it a listen. You can imagine my surprise when I found out that "Four little diamonds" was the song from Vice City that I loved so much. That alone probably turned the game into an instant classic in my book.

And it was followed right by "Owner of a lonely heart", which made for a real aural pleasure once I started listening to Yes too.

On a totally unrelated note, I just logged in on Steam to discover that I got a Wake booster pack. Which is selling for only $0,30, but whatever. It's free money.

r3n4ud

Ohhh, it turns out that Paranautical Activity was also available for purchase Indie Game Stand, and I also bought it there.

IGS Key is already out. I'll try it later today.
Ah shit ya! I bought it there too :). Was going to pick it up on Steam without realizing I already purchased it. Made that mistake more than once :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom