• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
This sound design, my heart, I think it's time to play some EUIV. Games where you have to flicker lights to move around environments are horrifying. Seriously though, the sound in this game is terrifying. I am playing on a 47 inch T.V. though so perhaps that scale adds to the fear. Or maybe I'm just a scardy cat, I don't know :D

Honestly starting to think about whether I'll pass on Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs. These first person games really add a whole other degree of tension that actually affects you physically. I actually feel a bit shaken and nauseous. Silent Hill 2/3 are very scary to me but that third person perspective makes you feel more as an observer than actually being there so to speak. Games like Outlast and Amnesia that use the first person perspective to actually put you into that feeling of being there, sounds like breathing and all, really freak me out. Might wait until I can stream to play Amnesia as stated, just don't have it in me I think :D I remember now that I couldn't finish the first game until the cousins came to visit and that won't be happening any time this year, lol.

DukeBobby

Got a chance to crack into Outlast tonight. Hate to say it, but I'm disappointed. The first jump scare got me good, but everything after that was just kind of boring. I spent about 10 minutes running away from a guy who couldn't manage to kill me. He cornered me multiple times, but you're capable of taking multiple hits from enemies without dying. It actually got a little chuckle out of me, because of the horns that play every time you're "spotted." I would run into a room and the music would start to fade out, then this ridiculous horn would play as I watched the guy come running through the doorway after me.

I'm playing in the dark with headphones on, and I even have blackout curtains in the bedroom since I work nights. I'm trying to be scared. All I feel is disappointment that I spent the last of my Steam card funds on this instead of Amnesia.

I feel the same way...sort of. My first encounter (
in the basement with the generators
) was a genuinely terrifying experience. But once I realised that I could easily outrun an enemy, and actually get hit a few times without dying, the feeling of terror was lost.

Still, being chased still gets my heart thumping, and I'm having a damn good time. I also love how weighty everything feels. It's a lot like Condemned.

It is not on the same level as Amnesia, in my opinion. I've still not finished that game, despite owning it for over a year.

Sajjaja

Hey guys, I'm trying to fix my avatar so that I don't see the white space, I just want the content in it. How do I do that? I'm trying to do it with the bird only and the entire circle with this image.

1239448_10151859687236147_820492945_n.jpg

Help?

And to keep it gaming related, is Bastion worth the play through? I'm sure it's a good game, but I feel like its greatness is probably exaggerated.

Hey guys, I'm trying to fix my avatar so that I don't see the white space, I just want the content in it. How do I do that? I'm trying to do it with the bird only and the entire circle with this image.

Help?

And to keep it gaming related, is Bastion worth the play through? I'm sure it's a good game, but I feel like its greatness is probably exaggerated.

You either learn to use the magic wand tool on photoshop or gimp, or you go here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390648

Tenrius

It has a couple of really great moments and the overall story is good enough, but it's nothing that special gameplay-wise.

Grief.exe

) was a genuinely terrifying experience. But once I realised that I could easily outrun an enemy, and actually get hit a few times without dying, the feeling of terror was lost.

Still, being chased still gets my heart thumping, and I'm having a damn good time. I also love how weighty everything feels. It's a lot like Condemned.

It is not on the same level as Amnesia, in my opinion. I've still not finished that game, despite owning it for over a year.

Its that careful balance you have to have. I would tune it so you would die quickly. Give more tension to the encounters.

In Amnesia once I saw a monster coming for me I'd close my eyes and just wait for it to be over :D Still had to wait for people to be with me to finish it.

Help?

Will this suffice?
MYH605Q.png

I couldn't get into it myself, it seems to play rather clunky to me.

DukeBobby

Its that careful balance you have to have. I would tune it so you would die quickly. Give more tension to the encounters.

It has regenerating health too, which makes it even easier.

It's a shame really, because with a bit of fine tuning, it could easily have been one of the best horror games ever.

FloatOn

I was really late to the Bastion party so I probably dodged much of the hype. That said, I really enjoyed the game.

The levels were kind of short and repetitive but I had so much fun with the way the weapons worked and the different perks they could be equipped with that I didn't even notice.

The overall vibe was really cool too with how the soundtrack, narration and art all kind of came together. My first play through only took about 8 hours and I intend to do a new game plus on it at some point.

Sajjaja

Will this suffice?
MYH605Q.png

I couldn't get into it myself, it seems to play rather clunky to me.

That's perfect. Thank you!

I remember I tried playing Bastion before but it didn't suck me in like I expected it to due to all the hype. I reinstalled it cause I got a controller this time but I'm still contemplating playing it.

It has regenerating health too, which makes it even easier.

It's a shame really, because with a bit of fine tuning, it could easily have been one of the best horror games ever.

I watched most of Floe's runthrough stream last night. It did seem to improve over time as the enemies got more dangerous and could open doors and such ... but it makes you wonder why they left them so bad at the beginning.

Overall still one I want to pick up at some stage.

Vecks

Not amazing, but yeah, it's good. The game does get repetitive, which would have been fine had I not gotten burned out on trying to do those challenges.

It's kind of funny that the dude you play as in Outlast basically slams doors. Every damn time I cringe.

If you didn't know, if you hold m1 and pull back or forward with ws he does it slowly. It scares me every time to because they immediately come to you if you just click it :p.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's worse when you slam the door in your own face when you're being chased.

This will be a vignette in a future Family Guy episode. "You think that's bad? Remember the time I was being chased and accidentally slammed the door in my own face?"

It's worse when you slam the door in your own face when you're being chased.

At least it doesn't have the mouse to hand elements that Amnesia has :D

If you didn't know, if you hold m1 and pull back or forward with ws he does it slowly. It scares me every time to because they immediately come to you if you just click it :p.
And yeah, I know. Still quite loud although certainly not as much as the normal door shut. I mean I'd understand if being chased but who shuts a door like that even when not in a terrible mental asylum! He makes sure to do it as loud as humanly possible.

JaseC

Arcen spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

AI War Plus 4 DLC packs Plus Tidalis -- MB-6EF0598FA75E2B6C - Taken by Smash88
A Valley Without Wind 1 Plus 2 -- MB-CD7BA654AE8CD17D - Taken by ricochetguro
Skyward Collapse -- MB-CBBECD7C6A340288 - Taken by alr1ght
Shattered Haven -- MB-4A11E8F3BEAFD8F6 - Taken by Nabs

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences

ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

Paranormal -- MB-75DAE89C307CFF14 - Taken by Madrugador
Paranormal #2 -- MB-65774268DAEA9437 - Taken by Firehead
Paranormal #3 -- MB-518361CEB12648C2 - Taken by C00kie M0nster
Paranormal #4 -- MB-ED3AE60160D50B3C - Taken by JDHarbs

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains

I can't manage to finish Amnesia either. I can only play it for an hour at a time. It gets uncomfortable after a while.

I'll finish Outlast, and I will make a genuine effort to get into it and be scared. The story does seem pretty interesting, so at the very least I'll be able to enjoy that.

I'd like it to take two hits to kill you. One hit would lead to too many deaths due to being caught off guard, and that would kill the pacing. If you take two hits within a ten second period, you've fucked up. I think I took four hits within a very short window, and I still ran away once the enemy was no longer blocking a doorway. That's just silly for this type of game.

I can't manage to finish Amnesia either. I can only play it for an hour at a time. It gets uncomfortable after a while.

I'm much the same. My issues is I don't really enjoy the "game bits" whilst being scared. For example your mission is to "turn on the elevator" but to do so you need to find 7 fuses, 3 rods and 8 unicorn testicles to make the mechanism work. To find all that you just have to walk around until you stumble across them.

This is ok the first time, but then it just gets old fast. Inevitably you have to learn to abuse the limitations of the enemy AI as you run past them 20 different times looking for that one item that you somehow missed.

I don't know what you really do about that, probably something I just have to wrap my head around to enjoy the sequel.

KJ869

Bros i need a new game that has the following conditions, help me steam GAFfers.

#1 Must have some type of RPG progression (loot or skill progression)
#2 Must be easily playable with a controller (rules out bl2, tl2, etc.)
#3 Must be able to be played in short bursts (like rogue legacy)

Basically this is coming from getting totally engrossed in rogue legacy and realizing there was a giant hole in my life that only rogue legacy and other games like it could fill. What an amazing game.
¨
Guacamelee has everything you wanted.

JaseC

Thanks for Valley1/2 JaseC! Games seemed neat but the reviews were pretty mixed so I never grabbed them. Bundles are wonderful.
Thanks. I really hope Shattered Haven doesn't suck.
Domo arigato

:)

I had no idea Uplay sells non-Ubisoft games... they're even selling Battlefield 4.

Ubi needs to replace/update its antiquated checkout system. A user on the other forum I frequent was able to purchase 400 Days despite not owning TWD proper and had no idea why the "game" wasn't showing up in his library.

Ubi needs to replace/update its antiquated checkout system. A user on the other forum I frequent was able to purchase 400 Days despite not owning TWD proper and had no idea why the "game" wasn't showing up in his library.

I was browsing Uplay.com and according to the site I only have Splinter Cell Conviction in my collection... even though I've been playing Rayman Legends since Tuesday. I bought both games from Steam.

JaseC

does uplay even support external keys or gifting? hahaha

As of an update earlier in the year it supports key redemption but to this day still lacks a gifting system. Uplay "keys" generated prior to this update were discount codes you entered into the Ubishop checkout page to reduce the price of a given product to $0.

Edit: Kindasorta beaten.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
First come first serve:

ModBot said:

Rules for this Giveaway:

header_292x136.jpg

Paranormal #5 -- MB-B9C6ABEF703D3CEB - Taken by Cloudius12
Paranormal #6 -- MB-767121539B14A51E - Taken by JBourne
Paranormal #7 -- MB-3D5D176A3600C850 - Taken by DukeBobby
Paranormal #8 -- MB-BB57D619CB4DFE19 - Taken by ricochetguro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom