• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tellaerin

Yeah well I don't play games for the art. That's where the stance comes from.

I could probably understand that position better if you had played Skyrim and gotten no pleasure from it. But if you played it, enjoyed it for 20 hours, then decided that the enjoyment you had experienced was an "illusion" because the gameplay didn't come up to your standards, something else is going on there. It sounds like somewhere along the line, you made the conscious decision that you shouldn't enjoy games for the atmosphere and presentation, because that's the "wrong" kind of fun to be having.

If you were entertained, your enjoyment wasn't an illusion. That doesn't invalidate your criticisms - you can have fun with something and still say, "I think these elements were poor. I wish it had more x, y, and z, and did a, b, and c differently". But saying, "I don't play games for that, so I refuse to enjoy them on that level, even when I am" is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Derrick01

Banned
I could probably understand that position better if you had played Skyrim and gotten no pleasure from it. But if you played it, enjoyed it for 20 hours, then decided that the enjoyment you had experienced was an "illusion" because the gameplay didn't come up to your standards, something else is going on there. It sounds like somewhere along the line, you made the conscious decision that you shouldn't enjoy games for the atmosphere and presentation, because that's the "wrong" kind of fun to be having.

If you were entertained, your enjoyment wasn't an illusion. That doesn't invalidate your criticisms - you can have fun with something and still say, "I think these elements were poor. I wish it had more x, y, and z, and did a, b, and c differently". But saying, "I don't play games for that, so I refuse to enjoy them on that level, even when I am" is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

You know how someone says "just turn your brain off and enjoy the movie"? It's when you just watch something and not think about it at all. That's kind of what it was, although I didn't mean to do it. Still have no idea why it happened with that game but I guess the important thing is I eventually snapped back to normal (although I would have felt awfully guilty if skyrim won goty here).

denx

Been a while since I posted here. Real life got in the way, and I also wanted to finally clear some backlog. Because seriously, I was spending more time here than actually playing games.

Anyway, any news about Batman Arkham City and Bioshock 2 and their (possible) conversion to Steamworks?

And what do you think, is Valve going to do a sale to celebrate Steam's 10th year anniversary?
(I think they will)

Been a while since I posted here. Real life got in the way, and I also wanted to finally clear some backlog. Because seriously, I was spending more time here than actually playing games.

Anyway, any news about Batman Arkham City and Bioshock 2 and their (possible) conversion to Steamworks?

And what do you think, is Valve going to do a sale to celebrate Steam's 10th year anniversary?
(I think they will)

On thursday, just realized 0_0

Grief.exe

(I think they will)

BioShock 2 is still seeing multiple daily updates.
The Batman games haven't seen updates in a while. My guess is the updates have been completed, they are just waiting to tie them in with an Origins promotion.

Hammerwatch feels like a pretty good attempt to make a console/home style Gauntlet game. What I mean by that is that it's that style of game but properly balanced to offer a skill based challenge as opposed to being designed around (and expecting) the player to constantly feed quarters into a cabinet.

I'm trying to finish up a solo run quickly here so I can do a co-op run, which I'm sure will make it that much better.

Jawmuncher

I gotta say I'm Loving Aliens: Colonial Marines. I was expecting far worse due to all the talk. But it's a decent FPS. It's nothing revolutionary but it the basics there work. It's how I felt about DNF as well. It's nothing amazing but I sure can enjoy it. Also the MP can be pretty fun to so long as it isn't lagging.

Hammerwatch feels like a pretty good attempt to make a console/home style Gauntlet game. What I mean by that is that it's that style of game but properly balanced to offer a skill based challenge as opposed to being designed around (and expecting) the player to constantly feed quarters into a cabinet.

I'm trying to finish up a solo run quickly here so I can do a co-op run, which I'm sure will make it that much better.

I was all excited to buy it a few weeks ago. Bought it and haven't started it once. Good to hear it's decent though.

denx

BioShock 2 is still seeing multiple daily updates.
The Batman games haven't seen updates in a while. My guess is the updates have been completed, they are just waiting to tie them in with an Origins promotion.

Thanks. Hopefully they will make the updates to Batman publicly available soon. GFWL and SecuROM are the only reason I still haven't touched the Batman games.

Didn't get enough big, dumb explosions with Tomb Raider, so I installed and started playing Spec Ops: The Line. Started the game on hard for the hell of it. There's just one or two set pieces where it's been a bit frustrating but for the most part it hasn't been much of a challenge.

maybe i should post this on the PC thread, but considering it's related to Steam, i'll ask here:
I just reformatted my pc, and the last thing to do is install Steam. Problem is, i already have a bunch of games downloaded on the steamapps folder. So, i wanted to know if there's an easy way to install Steam on the ssd, and make it possible so i can make it recheck and install the games on my hdd without the need to re-download every game, or have to just install it on the hdd(steam, that is).

Didn't get enough big, dumb explosions with Tomb Raider, so I installed and started playing Spec Ops: The Line. Started the game on hard for the hell of it. There's just one or two set pieces where it's been a bit frustrating but for the most part it hasn't been much of a challenge.

If you have not played much bail out and switch to easy. The "game bits" just get worse and worse so you'll want to push through as quick as you can.

maybe i should post this on the PC thread, but considering it's related to Steam, i'll ask here:
I just reformatted my pc, and the last thing to do is install Steam. Problem is, i already have a bunch of games downloaded on the steamapps folder. So, i wanted to know if there's an easy way to install Steam on the ssd, and make it possible so i can make it recheck and install the games on my hdd without the need to re-download every game, or have to just install it on the hdd(steam, that is).

This answers it [I think]:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=80663789&postcount=15479

Turfster

Not exactly. in his case, he wanted to use a previously downloaded game. what i want to do is install steam in an SSD, and be able to make it detect my games that are installed on an hdd.

You'll have to junction/symlink the directories, or possibly just the main steamapps dir to that drive.
Or possibly download a small game to the other drive, then just move the directories in the newly created steamlibrary dir.

Parsnip

Not exactly. in his case, he wanted to use a previously downloaded game. what i want to do is install steam in an SSD, and be able to make it detect my games that are installed on an hdd.
You could try setting up the HDD location in the Steam library folder settings? Never messed with that stuff myself, but that seems like something that might work.

Unless I'm completely misunderstanding what you mean, in which case I'll get my coat.

Wok

Stanley will be back in October.

screen7.png

Kifimbo

By the way, the post #10 is really helpful to have a look at the releases for september, october and november.

I just added these games:

09/19/2013 - Cognition Episode 4: The Cain Killer - Adventure - Phoenix Online Studios/Phoenix Online Studios - $XX.XX
2013 - Banished - Simulation - Shining Rock Software/Shining Rock Software - $XX.XX
2014 - 0 A.D. - RTS - Wildfire Games/Wildfire Games - $XX.XX
2014 - Enemy Front - FPS - City Interactive/City Interactive - $XX.XX
2014 - Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 2 - FPS - Rebellion/Rebellion - $XX.XX
2014 - The Walking Dead: Season 2 - Adventure - Telltale Games/Telltale Games - $XX.XX
2014 - Trails in the Sky: First Chapter - RPG - XSEED Games/Falcom - $XX.XX
2014 - Trails in the Sky: Second Chapter - RPG - XSEED Games/Falcom - $XX.XX
TBA - Case and Bot - Adventure - Nerd Monkeys/Nerd Monkeys - $XX.XX
TBA - Legend of Grimrock 2 - RPG - Almost Human Games/Almost Human Games - $XX.XX
TBA - Sacred 3 - Action RPG - Deep Silver/Keen Games - $XX.XX

You'll have to junction/symlink the directories, or possibly just the main steamapps dir to that drive.
Or possibly download a small game to the other drive, then just move the directories in the newly created steamlibrary dir.
This is something i want to avoid, but if there's no other option, i'll do this.

You could try setting up the HDD location in the Steam library folder settings? Never messed with that stuff myself, but that seems like something that might work.

Unless I'm completely misunderstanding what you mean, in which case I'll get my coat.

Nah, you understood it correctly. I'm trying to do this right now. so far, it's detecting the games. I just had to create a new library and move the games to the new folder. Hoping now that all games can be detected this way.

Kifimbo

This should be Winter 2013.

They only said Winter.

The first chapter, previously released for the PSP system as The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, will also be released for PC this winter.

Usually, when it's not Fall, it's the next year.

Is that date for Black Mesa confirmed? I don't see anything on their site and on their GL page they said there were false rumors about it.

Don't remember where I initially found it, but it looks like it's wrong. Thanks.

JustinBB7

09/19/2013 - Cognition Episode 4: The Cain Killer - Adventure - Phoenix Online Studios/Phoenix Online Studios - $XX.XX
2013 - Banished - Simulation - Shining Rock Software/Shining Rock Software - $XX.XX
2014 - The Walking Dead: Season 2 - Adventure - Telltale Games/Telltale Games - $XX.XX
TBA - Legend of Grimrock 2 - RPG - Almost Human Games/Almost Human Games - $XX.XX

Didn't they say Walking Dead Season 2 would be around holiday season 2013? Like november/december area.

zkylon

zkylewd

wait trails in the sky is coming to steam

holy shit

Parsnip

Trine 2 hard hardcore is more difficult than I expected.
It might be partially because my eyes are melting from all the colors.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Speaking of awesome games coming to Steam - I saw that Path of Exile is officially releasing on October 23rd and that they're working on integrating Steam features.

Even though the game has been in perpetual beta for about 2 years, this is really great news. I wonder if they'll keep their "free to play" game model...

Lingitiz

Speaking of awesome games coming to Steam - I saw that Path of Exile is officially releasing on October 23rd and that they're working on integrating Steam features.

Even though the game has been in perpetual beta for about 2 years, this is really great news. I wonder if they'll keep their "free to play" game model...

Awesome news. I put a ton of time into this when the open beta launched and loved every second of it. I can see this doing insanely well on Steam.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Awesome news. I put a ton of time into this when the open beta launched and loved every second of it. I can see this doing insanely well on Steam.

Yeah it's a great game, one of the most Diablo-II-like experiences since Diablo II. I've put about 40-50 hours in but will definitely play through again when it hits Steam, especially if they incorporate achievements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom