• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nillansan

Oh and another one...

Wasteland Kings will be available through Steam Early Access in a few weeks.

EG50l68.jpg

<3 Vlambeer

Source

maneil99

Anybody here have any experience with NCIX or Corsair water coolers. Pretty sure they installed mine wrong as my MB needs washers to keep it tight. Some ass on the forum who is the mod told me they did it right whenbits clearly now. I paid 50$. My tempsat stock are within 5c of my 4.5ghz OC in the heat on my 212+ with shit cabling

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
The 598s were the ones I'm looking at, the 650s apparently don't work as well for gaming. Not sure about the 600s, just started researching.

Well if gaming is your main concern, I'd steer away from Sennheisers. The more expensive ones at least (I'm not sure about the <$200 ones) are known for being cold and flat (especially the 6XX's). For gaming, you probably want at least a somewhat significant bass. If music is an equal concern though, the 600s and 650s are some of the very best in their price range. But like I said, they aren't really ideal for gaming. Two headphones off the top of my head that have more of a V-shaped sound signature (and thus probably better for gaming) would be the HE-400s and the DT-990s.

XShagrath

Can anyone help me out with getting a 360 controller working on a game that doesn't support it?

My wife wanted to play Fable again, so I picked up The Lost Chapters yesterday, and it has no native controller support. I'm looking for a (preferably) free piece of software that will enable controller support fairly easily. I've looked at xpadder (costs $15), motioninjoy (couldn't get it to work right in the past), and Pinnacle Game Profiler (which I couldn't get to work).

Anyone have any experience with this stuff? Thanks.

I was looking at the DT-990s as well. To clarify though I'll also be using them for music just as frequently(can't stand the silence), so everything is of concern really :D And I was just going by a few Hifi threads I read which seemed to come to the general conclusion of the 598 over the 600 for gaming purposes. It'll be a few days before I purchase anything, just started looking and I'm heading off to bed for now :D

More recommendations from yourself and others knowledgeable in headphone matters for me to read upon waking please! Currently researching based off Grief's recommendations which were:
DT900
AKG Q701
Sennheiser HD 598/600/650

This is all very new to me.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Can anyone help me out with getting a 360 controller working on a game that doesn't support it?

My wife wanted to play Fable again, so I picked up The Lost Chapters yesterday, and it has no native controller support. I'm looking for a (preferably) free piece of software that will enable controller support fairly easily. I've looked at xpadder (costs $15), motioninjoy (couldn't get it to work right in the past), and Pinnacle Game Profiler (which I couldn't get to work).

You can try Joy2Key.

I'm hoping the Fable remake will come to the PC eventually, but I wouldn't be surprised if MS uses the SmartGlass integration to justify its Xbox exclusivity.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I was looking at the DT-990s as well. To clarify though I'll also be using them for music, so everything is of concern really :D And I was just going by a few Hifi threads I read which seemed to come to the general conclusion of the 598 over the 600 for gaming purposes. It'll be a few days before I purchase anything, just started looking and I'm heading off to bed for now :D

Well, all of these headphones are going to be great for music, so not a problem there anyways. :p
And one thing about the DT-990s (I was debating between those and the HE-400s) is that the treble is pretty piercing, so if your ears are sensitive to treble, you should probably stay away from those.
And I should also note that I know pretty much nothing about how the 598s sound, so I can't comment on those.
But anyways, good luck choosing one! It took me about a month of reading HiFi threads every day to finally decide which headphones I wanted. So frustrating when you don't have any headphone shops in your area and have to blindly (or deafly?) buy headphones just by reading about what they sound like. But again, you really can't go wrong with any of these headphones. They're all going to be fantastic.

Edit: As for recommendations, those recommendations by Grief are solid. If you add the HE-400s to the list, I think those are all the headphones that I was trying to decide between. And I know I'm biased since I own them, but the HE-400s are simply incredible. I haven't once noticed a flaw in audio that came from the headphones and not the music itself. They're just unbelievably good. Also, you should be able to get them from headphone.com for $350 by calling them and letting them know that you read online that they'd sell them for $350 if you call. It worked for me when I bought them in December at least. Oh, and one last thing, the HE-400s are really efficient, so they don't require a powerful amp like the DT-990s do, so that's something else to take into consideration. When I realized that I'd end up spending the same in total after buying the amp and DAC for both the HE-400s and the DT-990s, it was a no-brainer for me to go with the HE-400s. (I got the E17 DAC/amp, btw, and it works wonderfully)

Nillansan

I bought Xpadder a while back. I think there is a free version available on the official site, but I bought it to support the developer. It is worth the $15 in my opinion, it is very easy to set your games up. You can also easily find profiles online, people tend to share them through the Steam Community Sites.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Last couple of weeks i've been playing quite a lot of Alice: Madness Returns. Lovely game, could very well become one of my alltime favorites. Which makes this easter egg even more awesome.
http://i.picpar.com/9Bt.png
RAZ!
(I already knew it was in the game, but still. Psychonauts!)

Because of Alice, I now love PhysX. Well played.

Last couple of weeks i've been playing quite a lot of Alice: Madness Returns. Lovely game, could very well become one of my alltime favorites. Which makes this easter egg even more awesome.
RAZ!

I've been wanting to buy that game for a while, but damned EU tax, game is much more expensive here than in the States.

JaseC

RAZ!

The PhysX implementation is actually very toned down compared to what Nvidia showcased prior to release. There was a drastic reduction in the amount of fluid effects and the Hobby Horse can't deform any terrain at all, with the effect being limited to a later part of the game where you come across the giant chess "boards".

Edit: Oh, and buy the art book. It's amazing.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I guess I'd be part of that younger crowd (27 still counts, right?), and for me it's about the time for these new games. If it's something i'm going to play right away, sure I'll pay
close to
full price for it. If it seems sweet, but i'm not going to be playing it for a while, why would I pay full price for it to sit in my library?
Or even if I know I'll play the game as soon as I get it, if I don't think it's worth full price then I won't buy it. In my case t's not even a question of having the money, because I can always usually spare 20 bucks. I simply don't want to pay that amount for this game, so I won't.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
RAZ!

Because of that easter egg (which I didn't know of), I now have to play this game instead of letting it rot in my library forever.

XShagrath

I bought Xpadder a while back. I think there is a free version available on the official site, but I bought it to support the developer. It is worth the $15 in my opinion, it is very easy to set your games up. You can also easily find profiles online, people tend to share them through the Steam Community Sites.
Looks like there used to be a free one, but not anymore. I found an old version (and had to run compatibility back to XP), but I got it to work.

I'll be more careful in the future looking to see if older console games actually have controller support. In hindsight, I should have remembered that an HD remake was coming out later this year and had my wife wait on that one. Oh well. At least I got +1XP out of it.

JaseC

Because of that easter egg (which I didn't know of), I now have to play this game instead of letting it rot in my library forever.

It's a gorgeous platformer with varied locales, good-but-not-great combat and a rather brave narrative as far as video games are concerned (the fractured narrative threads eventually coalescence to form the plot-centric themes of
child molestation and sex slavery
). Some feel that the gameplay is rather monotonous, particularly in regard to the platforming, and so the generously-sized campaign eventually overstays its welcome by a fair margin, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Edit: Oh, and the OST is amazing. Make the most of the experience as we're never going to get a proper sequel. :(

Some more modbot

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Thomas was alone -- MB-7F314A900F5ABD81 - Taken by Blue Ninja
McPixel -- MB-E93E7B79EE713753 - Taken by BorntoPlay

FloatOn

Ok, after spending few hours on original Spelunky, I've now bought the new one on Steam.

Let's do thissss!!!

you did the right thing.

I'm working on building a short cut to the ice caves right now and getting a shotgun to tunnel man is proving to be pretty troublesome.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
It's a gorgeous platformer with varied locales, good-but-not-great combat and a rather brave narrative as far as video games are concerned (the fractured narrative threads eventually coalescence to form the plot-centric themes of
child molestation and sex slavery
). Some feel that the gameplay is rather monotonous, particularly in regard to the platforming, and so the generously-sized campaign eventually overstays its welcome by a fair margin, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Edit: Oh, and the OST is amazing. Make the most of the experience as we're never going to get a proper sequel. :(
Wow at that spoiler. I would have never guessed the game touched those topics! I have absolutely no idea how it can get to that, so I'll have to find out by playing it.

O Tavares

Neo Member
Am I the only one who thinks the card badges for Sonic Racing Transformed are the laziest thing ever?

I mean, they have all those amazing franchises for inspiration, iconic characters, amazing in-game vehicles, cool achievement avatars, and they end up using power-up icons as badges?! Really?

014c765350286b6d766ebd38922b24d050400991.png

This is the level 5 (!!) badge. Just why? :(

Knurek

Some feel that the gameplay is rather monotonous, particularly in regard to the platforming, and so the generously-sized campaign eventually overstays its welcome by a fair margin, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Well, yeah, but you 100%ented Just Cause 2 (and AssCreed 3 I believe), so you have higher tolerance for monotony than most people.

I haven't played the game for more than 15 minutes, so can't really disprove anything, just wanted to bring these facts to general attention.

JaseC

Well, yeah, but you 100%ented Just Cause 2 (and AssCreed 3 I believe), so you have higher tolerance for monotony than most people.

I haven't played the game for more than 15 minutes, so can't really disprove anything, just wanted to bring these facts to general attention.

I wasn't saying they were in the wrong for feeling differently. If I didn't think the criticism was fair I wouldn't have brought it up.

Edit: I'm actually working my way through the AssCreed 3 DLC at the moment. I think I've had my fill for the time being, though, because I struggle to play it for more than 10mins at a time. :p I want to give myself a few months between it and Black Flag, though, so I don't have a repeat of the Borderlands situation, where I completed the DLC for the previous game in the lead-up to the imminent sequel and then found I'd tired myself of the formula.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Must...not...look...at...spoiler...hngggggh!
The PhysX implementation is actually very toned down compared to what Nvidia showcased prior to release. There was a drastic reduction in the amount of fluid effects and the Hobby Horse can't deform any terrain at all, with the effect being limited to a later part of the game where you come across the giant chess "boards".
Oh wow.
I wonder why they removed the deforming terrain, that looks great. The amount of goo is a bit overdone, though, so I get that.

Some feel that the gameplay is rather monotonous, particularly in regard to the platforming, and so the generously-sized campaign eventually overstays its welcome by a fair margin, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
It's a real 3D platformer with great controls, looks absolutety stunning. Great hair. Jumping. And it's from this gen...
Needless to say, as a lover of 3D platformers, I can't get enough of it!
But yeah, it really is a long game. I'm a slow gamer, so I don't know how precise this is, but i'm at 62%, Chapter 4, 19 Hours in. Crazy stuff.

Alice's mind is beautifull and disturbing at the same time, and the further she's goes "down the rabit hole" the stranger things get. Really well done.
Chapter 4 is pretty weird. :p

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Wait... isnt that from the Humble Mojam Bundle?

Played a bit BF3. God is Origins a pain in the ass.

I was just wondering if I got a steam key for it at some point. The version I played was neat but I never got far with it

oipic

Old news in GAF/internet terms, clearly, but Tropico 5 was announced? Excellent!

Well, I'm, guessing so - I've had 3 in my library for ages, installed it eagerly way back then... and have never played it. Might fire it up now for a giggle.

Although I really should be finishing System Shock 2... but everything is really just filling in time until this mythical X3 bundle appears.

Uiki

ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Burnout Paradise -- MB-A50FCFC7576D97BF - Taken by denx
Crysis 2 -- MB-83CB58D38EFDF351 - Taken by throwawayname
Medal of Honor -- MB-AA7C36404B90F92B
Dead Space -- MB-54072AD76000EA12

Enjoy!

Care to elaborate? I'm thinking about installing it myself to play some multiplayer.

BF3 is really really strange. You have to start Origins... to open the browser... that is connecting to battlelog... then you press join server... wait... then the game starts... gives you a fucking loading screen... and then it might even crash after a few minutes playing.

And it seems that origins cribbles my pc. Games acting very strange while origins is running in the background.

That is correct. It was in the second Mojam Bundle. I think they are making it into a full fledged game.

The game was fun. But they should add more than just a few more weapons and enemies to make it more entertaining.

neoism

Yeah, was for sure in Dominator (in 5 different language versions for some reason? The Japanese version was strangely fitting)

Played Paradise for 20 something hours, didn't have the song came up once. Might have subconsciously deleted it from the playlist though.

Anyways, nothing beats Takedown soundtrack. Nothing.
I can definitely see complaining about BOPs ost but the most annoying thing about the game is the 25 hours it take to fucking boot up and that one song playing I have mute my speakers. If your not playing with the music at 0 your doing it wrong custom music for the win.... Anyone know if you can delete the music in the game files....mainly the one song that plays when you start the game???

I think the market for those EA games has been oversaturated. :lol

Care to elaborate? I'm thinking about installing it myself to play some multiplayer.

When you launch the game from Origin, it opens a fucking web page, from which you can select what part of the game you want to play. I don't understand the fucking point.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Over 5 million in total payments for the EA bundle and twelve days to go. Crazy stuff.

Well if gaming is your main concern, I'd steer away from Sennheisers. The more expensive ones at least (I'm not sure about the <$200 ones) are known for being cold and flat (especially the 6XX's). For gaming, you probably want at least a somewhat significant bass. If music is an equal concern though, the 600s and 650s are some of the very best in their price range. But like I said, they aren't really ideal for gaming. Two headphones off the top of my head that have more of a V-shaped sound signature (and thus probably better for gaming) would be the HE-400s and the DT-990s.
For gaming you do not want bass, but clear directional audio.

DECOY-LDN

Neo Member
ModBot said:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

header_292x136.jpg

X-Com Collection -- MB-777C94353B5156D5 - Taken by PriitV

Enjoy!

BorntoPlay

not much but is a great game...enjoy!

ModBot said:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:

header_292x136.jpg

Anomaly: Warzone Earth -- MB-5EDAE30650AC77AA - Taken by Divius

PriitV

I feel so bad about grabbing it, thinking it was only the old XCOM games.. so I went ahead and got the new XCOM so people who missed out, can actually enjoy it.
I'm so sorry about that.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Thomas Was Alone -- MB-018C0B0EF8AD9580 - Taken by XShagrath
McPixel -- MB-ADABC3C8099D1A8E - Taken by creamsugar
XCOM EU -- MB-2BE8EC4EE8C65AA6 - Taken by Mugatu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom