• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The problem with RE6 is that it's littered with dumb albeit small design decisions. A great example lies within the "Leon tries to drive a car" QTE: even when you know where the keys are, you have to look in the other places first.

I'm surprised Derrick likes Borderlands 2.

I almost did late last night, but I think I would rather have the sun shining when I start that game.

I want yo play a shooter right now.

I have Portal 2 and a 1999 play through of BioShock Infinite as well.

Play F.E.A.R. in the dark, with headphones, and enjoy it.

There's only a few jump scares in the game, and they're few and far between. The game's great at building a sense of dread and despair, though.
Armacham headquarters
is something that should be experienced completely solitary, in darkness. Eerie as fuck.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, I started playing Medal of Honor (2010) last night and I was really enjoying it. No idea why Warfighter went so off the fucking rails.

I think I'll do an LTTP for it once I dig in a bit more.
Really? I played the first levels and thought it was boring and as linear as a game could be. Allied Assault it isn't.

My dad liked it, though. Which is strange because he hated Duke Nukem Forever, which I consider to be the better game.

I know Stump said it was for a different reason, but I'll always like to think that it was for his awful comments about watches and men's fashion.
Oh yeah, he didn't like watches, right? Stump should ban him for that! :p

Overdoziz

Banned
Does Medal of Honor have controller support? I can't find any options for it and it doesn't automatically recognize it.
edit: Now it suddenly does recognize my controller.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm surprised Derrick likes Borderlands 2.

I almost did late last night, but I think I would rather have the sun shining when I start that game.

I liked it with my first run but I realized quickly that I simply can't replay it at all. Even with a friend. The design problems really show themselves when you don't have any new humor to experience and mask the problems. I don't think I'll buy BL3 unless they really change things up.

As for Bioshock don't bother with 1999 mode. Like all recent games with "hardcore" modes it doesn't erase any of the problems the regular game was designed with and it's definitely not like an actual 1999 game. It's simply a marketing term to get people like us to calm down during the pre-release period of a game so they can keep misleading everyone else.

Second Crysis 2 problem, now all of a sudden when I launch the game its resolution seems to be 5x5 or something. It's an incredibly small window, with no way for me to resize it.

Grief.exe

I liked it with my first run but I realized quickly that I simply can't replay it at all. Even with a friend. The design problems really show themselves when you don't have any new humor to experience and mask the problems. I don't think I'll buy BL3 unless they really change things up.

As for Bioshock don't bother with 1999 mode. Like all recent games with "hardcore" modes it doesn't erase any of the problems the regular game was designed with and it's definitely not like an actual 1999 game. It's simply a marketing term to get people like us to calm down during the pre-release period of a game so they can keep misleading everyone else.

I would agree with you, the bullet sponge enemies were frustrating on Hard, let alone 1999.

My justification is I want to go through again to experience the story, and grab a couple rare achievements while I'm at it for the showcase.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Oh no no, you gotta play it at night, with the lights off. Though it's enjoyable at day too, and in fact I think I started playing it for the first time right after having lunch.

You haven't played Portal 2 yet? Or would that be a replay?

I love it when someone prices a foil for a low low price
N4o60nT.png

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I just arrived home and noticed the Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara 4 pack, so here's how it goes:

I can sell each copy of the game for 6 dollars, with paypal taxes already included.

If anybody wants it, please lemme know. I know it's not much cheaper, but paypal taxes kill me and I really want it at that price.. :(

1. Drizzle
2. Drizzle x2
3. Newblade
4. Jokingbird

PM me if anybody is interested.

Edit: One more. I already purchased the game, I just need your 6 bucks and I can gift it to you! :D

Gone! Thanks Newblade and Jokingbird!

Salsa

Thanks

As for Dishonored I'm done with that game. I bought the last DLC that came out but it was just more of the same, with the same problems the main game had. Maybe when it gets really cheap on a steam sale but I dunno. I don't have any real urge to play more Dishonored.

I know, I kid

quite enjoying it myself

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains

Yeah, I had a similar problem. I had to set it to use FXAA instead of SMAA, despite SMAA being recommended for the 670. Once I switched it, the game ran fine.

In my case, it was a Windows 8 issue. Some people also fixed it by running it in a different compatibility mode, but that wouldn't work for me.

Yeah, I had a similar problem. I had to set it to use FXAA instead of SMAA, despite SMAA being recommended for the 670. Once I switched it, the game ran fine.

In my case, it was a Windows 8 issue. Some people also fixed it by running it in a different compatibility mode, but that wouldn't work for me.

Fuck, yeah, I remember reading that, but messed around with the settings a moment ago and forgot to put it back to FXAA. Thanks!

Now I just need Steam to launch MaldoHD from the get-go, instead of having to restart the game every time.

Grief.exe

Oh no no, you gotta play it at night, with the lights off. Though it's enjoyable at day too, and in fact I think I started playing it for the first time right after having lunch.

You haven't played Portal 2 yet? Or would that be a replay?

first time playing Portal 2

If you've already played through Infinite I'd skip 1999 mode in favour of doing something better with your time. As far as I could tell it was another HP/damage slider difficulty change except now you couldn't use the little helper level navigator which I never used anyway. The name meant nothing.

FYC

Banned
I'm so sad that MK9 online is borked.

Guess I'll go through arcade with everyone now that I'm done the challenge tower and story mode.

Now imagine how I felt when I realized I enjoyed the first 2 campaigns. It almost felt like shame. But the game really is a bit better than most people on Gaf like to say it is, and the people that were saying it has really good mechanics that aren't explained at all and that you have to figure it out yourself were right. If you play it like a cover shooter it's going to be awful.

Jake's campaign was actually a nice change of pace to me because of how bizarre some of the levels are. The second level with the open area and famous ice hill that forces you to not slide, the 3rd with the Mirror's Edge esqe aesthetics and stealth(and one of my favorite coop sections) It's a perfect example of how uneven the campaign the is as a whole but I felt they pumped a lot of their most off the wall ideas into it which made it very enjoyable to me. Keep in mind though I didn't play any one campaign all the way through at once. I played one or two chapters of Chris, then Jake, then Leon and then back to Chris, etc.

Ada's campaign is definitely the worst though. I enjoyed the bow a lot but it has the most repetition compared to the other campaign(which I makes sense I suppose, she's following and aiding the players throughout) and outside of the sub doesn't have many unique areas. I will say though that her unique boss was incredibly creepy to look at. As a whole one of my favorite aspects about RE6 were the creature designs. Disgusting and quite varied, even the J'avo themselves differ depending on the area and change what parts they spawn after being delimbed depending on the amount of force used.

RE6 just has a ton of great mechanics and cool little details that balance out the annoying little things by a fair measure to me.
If you've already played through Infinite I'd skip 1999 mode in favour of doing something better with your time. As far as I could tell it was another HP/damage slider difficulty change except now you couldn't use the little helper level navigator which I never used anyway. The name meant nothing.
What could be a better use of time than getting an achievement less than 1% of the world has! It's all worth it in the end.

Salsa

pretty sure I asked this before but now I cant find it:

what do I need to do to get my SR3 character into IV? do I need to reinstall 3 and upload him to the saints network thing?

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Caught on reddit, not sure if this got posted.

http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=102556
Dude and friend harass player they didn't know was a valve employee in dota2. Dude and friend get muted 2 months ingame and are put in low priority matchmaking for a week. The fun part is people defending a player's right to abuse people.

This is great.
Fuck, yeah, I remember reading that, but messed around with the settings a moment ago and forgot to put it back to FXAA. Thanks!

Now I just need Steam to launch MaldoHD from the get-go, instead of having to restart the game every time.

Wait, MaldoHD doesn't launch when you launch the game? I assumed it was always working.

Caught on reddit, not sure if this got posted.

http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=102556
Dude and friend harass player they didn't know was a valve employee in dota2. Dude and friend get muted 2 months ingame and are put in low priority matchmaking for a week. The fun part is people defending a player's right to abuse people.

i don't know if this is hilarious or sad or both

i'm installing ys oath in felghana, heard it was pretty good compared to ys I and II.

Is Borderlands a KB/M or a controller game?

both are fine, whatever is more comfortable to you.

Derrick01

Banned
Jake's campaign was actually a nice change of pace to me because of how bizarre some of the levels are. The second level with the open area and famous ice hill that forces you to not slide, the 3rd with the Mirror's Edge esqe aesthetics and stealth(and one of my favorite coop sections) It's a perfect example of how uneven the campaign the is as a whole but I felt they pumped a lot of their most off the wall ideas into it which made it very enjoyable to me. Keep in mind though I didn't play any one campaign all the way through at once. I played one or two chapters of Chris, then Jake, then Leon and then back to Chris, etc.

Ada's campaign is definitely the worst though. I enjoyed the bow a lot but it has the most repetition compared to the other campaign(which I makes sense I suppose, she's following and aiding the players throughout) and outside of the sub doesn't have many unique areas. I will say though that her unique boss was incredibly creepy to look at. As a whole one of my favorite aspects about RE6 were the creature designs. Disgusting and quite varied, even the J'avo themselves differ depending on the area and change what parts they spawn after being delimbed depending on the amount of force used.

RE6 just has a ton of great mechanics and cool little details that balance out the annoying little things by a fair measure to me.

I wasn't a fan of Jake's because it did have a lot of copy/paste locations and events and by that point I had already played the game twice. Like fighting that one big boss again with
Chris in the village
was really tedious. And I didn't enjoy getting chased by that Nemesis knockoff for most of his campaign.

Ada's was the most disappointing. That first chapter was awful considering how little ammo you have for it. They shouldn't have tried to make it play like the old RE's or a bad stealth game when it was clearly not designed to be. The rest of her chapters were too much copy/paste which made sense for the story, but not for fun. Although I agree her unique boss was pretty cool.

Seeing Derrick like Resident Evil 6 is making me want to order it off of Amazon for $10

For $10? Fuck yeah do it. I wish I would have known it was going to be $10 only a month after I spent $20 on it.

Resident Evil 6- This was one of the only games that I was actively targeting before the sale started and although it was a bit pricey I figured I would make the jump anyway since I only had 1 other game on my to buy list. I have to say I was surprised by how much fun I had with the game and I think it really does get an unfair amount of hatred as it's a way better game than 5. It is a dumb action game but they do give you a lot of freedom with mechanics that most shooters don't have. I knew this when I played as Chris and was surrounded by a bunch of soldiers and I got out of it by sliding under a thin part of a wall, shot and killed 2 guys while sliding, and then while still on the ground I managed to roll to the left under cover before the people in front of me could light me up. That being said the last 2 campaigns were pretty weak (Jake & Ada) and kind of left a disappointing taste after having so much fun with Leon and Chris' campaigns. There was too much copy and paste levels and enemies too. But it was a very solid game overall.

Yeah I pre-ordered the game because of some mercenaries gameplay videos that looked interesting despite the hate the game got, so I played the game not really expecting a lot and I really liked it. If you look at the PC RE6 thread too a lot of people were surprised by the quality of the game mechanics compared to the amount of hate the game got, but maybe the price (30€) and the fact that we already had all the important patchs helped.
However I thought the campaign was a bit too cinematic (but really that's something that can be said for a lot of big budget games nowadays), too much forced camera angles and QTE (the prelude is the worst introduction you could imagine for that game).
Other than that I liked the campaign (even though Ada's was really the worst and not that interesting) and I absolutely loved Mercenaries, it's kinda cool to play with the game's mechanics without the cutscenes and stuff.

I know this is a steam thread, but I have a Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell® Blacklist™ Digital Deluxe code for geforce.com. I'm not really inteterested in the game plus I have enough to play already so I'm giving it away. So first PM from who ever is interested gets it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom