• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is a steam thread, but I have a Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell® Blacklist™ Digital Deluxe code for geforce.com. I'm not really inteterested in the game plus I have enough to play already so I'm giving it away. So first PM from who ever is interested gets it.

Thanks for this great giveaway. I tried my luck :D

KingKong

Spelunky is so awesome. Just had a promising run come to a quick end because a snake dodged my thrown arrow, which flew onward and hit the shopkeeper behind it

Omega

Banned
how do people play on a controller? This isn't even coming from a PC elitist. I just built my PC three months ago after being a console gamer for over 18 years and I don't think I could ever go back to a controller.

The only thing I use it for is NBA 2K13 and that's because I don't even think there's mouse support. Surprisingly KB/M feels so much better in games like Arkham Asylum/City, GTA which I thought would suck after being so used to them on consoles.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks to all who participated, but GAF user Big_Al won this one. Congratulations! *Cue balloons, confetti and shit*

Well holy fuck :p Thank you very much dude, I genuinely wasn't expecting anything. Just trying my luck!

People on GAF never fail to amaze me with their generosity :)

Derrick01

Banned
how do people play on a controller? This isn't even coming from a PC elitist. I just built my PC three months ago after being a console gamer for over 18 years and I don't think I could ever go back to a controller.

The only thing I use it for is NBA 2K13 and that's because I don't even think there's mouse support. Surprisingly KB/M feels so much better in games like Arkham Asylum/City, GTA which I thought would suck after being so used to them on consoles.

A controller is basically a third hand for me and I can use it just as easily. I struggle mightily with keyboard and mouse and I'm actually less accurate in shooters with it, not to mention I do worse because of me missing way more. I can't fathom playing something like Arkham City with it and trying to do those combat challenges as perfectly as I can with the controller.

hlhbk said:
Welcome back Derrick! We may not always agree in our gaming views but its never personal. :)

Thanks!

RS4-

Wow fuck XCom the Bureau on console. Run is assigned to A button, but you only run in a straight line unless you're using the right stick as well. Have to hold the controller like a damn claw just to make some turns. Doesn't help that moving is clunky.

At least on PC, you can run while you mouse look.

Overdoziz

Banned
Because of the layout of controllers it's easier to do different stuff at the same time, or do more things quickly in succession. The keyboard can be a bit cumbersome at times, especially if you try to do things while simultaneously moving around.

Milamber

Wow fuck XCom the Bureau on console. Run is assigned to A button, but you only run in a straight line unless you're using the right stick as well. Have to hold the controller like a damn claw just to make some turns. Doesn't help that moving is clunky.

Wha- How? Store leak?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Controller is 100x better for anything that uses analog, like precise platforming and sneaking. I tried to play Blood Money, which wasn't supporting controller (maybe there is a mod for it?) and it fucking sucked. Then of course racing games are 1000x better with a controller. Also if it just gets stupid complicated like Guacamelee with the dimension flipping while doing complicated jump moves.

However, for an RE6 kind of game, most of your movements are big so you need better aiming, which KB/M provides, along with (to me) easier immediate access to the various moves and functions it has, but then I also have a gaming mouse with extra buttons. I will say though that Revelations has really shit mouse movement. It's like a really severe version of the lag that usually comes with combining vsync and mouse smoothing in some games, except it is just designed into the game so it is always there no matter how you have it set. It had to have been some funky porting from what was designed from the ground up to be for a controller.

Derrick01

Banned
Because of the layout of controllers it's easier to do different stuff at the same time, or do more things quickly in succession. The keyboard can be a bit cumbersome at times, especially if you try to do things while simultaneously moving around.

I always accidentally hit the wrong keys in spots that aren't near WASD. Like if I want to hit V I always hit C or B. That almost never happens to me with a controller.

That sounds pretty terrible for console and gamepad players. I hope that isn't indicative of too many other design blunders.

Half-Life 2 on the rift is incredible, although I just put contact lenses in for the first time since Halloween of last year(and before that it'd been a year since I'd worn any) so I feel kind of weird. Contacts are awful.

Gbraga

That's actually quite interesting, I really wasn't expecting for that. They demoed the game the whole time with 360 controllers, so I just assumed it was the preferred method.

Grief.exe

For $10? Fuck yeah do it. I wish I would have known it was going to be $10 only a month after I spent $20 on it.

The console version was on sale for that amount, not the PC version.

Not surprising considering the console version was released months before the PC version.

I'm looking forward to playing Revelations Raid mode.
3rd person rogue like with RPG elements? Yes please.

Gbraga

Also I'm playing Path of Exile and I don't know what I'm doing. Is it normal that I feel like an idiot every time I open up the skill tree?

Milamber

Half-Life 2 on the rift is incredible, although I just put contact lenses in for the first time since Halloween of last year(and before that it'd been a year since I'd worn any) so I feel kind of weird. Contacts are awful.
I wear glasses and will no way wear contacts due to my abject fear of them. How screwed am I if I want to wear my glasses under the Rift?

Turfster

Oh, I imagine then that watching you try to start your video game and the pain it causes you is just like watching someone battle through chemo. Sorry, I just didn't understand just how awful GFWL is. If only I could have explained to the person I recently lost to cancer that I knew exactly what they were going through as I couldn't get Dirt 2 to run. I'm sure that would have given them comfort.

I was afraid you'd be going this tack.
I know how you feel right now, you're not the only one that has lost loved ones to cancer, that had to watch them waste away until all they were was blind and deaf, skin over bones and constantly pissed themselves but you fucking stayed with them and cleaned them up and held their hand until the moment they died, and I still miss him 3 years later.

My analogy, however, had nothing to do with that. It was a purely biological comparison.

Can anyone tell me why Steam constantly erases my non-steam games that I've added? It seems like every few weeks they're all gone. Any way to keep this from happening?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Also I'm playing Path of Exile and I don't know what I'm doing. Is it normal that I feel like an idiot every time I open up the skill tree?
I think the point of skill trees is to prevent you from actually knowing what the moves do and how useful they would be to you, so you definitely fuck them up the first 20 times, tricking you into playing 200 hours just to try out the moves since you have to earn your right to each one and there is no going back, and so after playing so long you think it must have been a good game to make you play so much.
[/rant against archaic systems that only made sense when standardized under the familiar d&d platform which had thorough guidebooks for newcomers]

HoosTrax

I usually have to juggle KBM + 360 in certain games, like Just Cause 2, Sleeping Dogs, and the Batman games. I wouldn't have been able to do some of the batarang challenges without relying on mouse, for example.

RS4-

Wha- How? Store leak?

For console, local flea market usually just releases shit the weekend leading up to street date, since they're only open on weekends; they'd rather not lose sales and expect people to come in the weekend after to still buy games.

That's actually quite interesting, I really wasn't expecting for that. They demoed the game the whole time with 360 controllers, so I just assumed it was the preferred method.

That sounds pretty terrible for console and gamepad players. I hope that isn't indicative of too many other design blunders.

I'm trying to think of another game that has controls like this. I'm just not a huge fan of it, at all.

neoism

Its called personal preference... if a PC game has no Controller support I don't buy it... the only game I don't use a controller for is D3, and I don't even use a keyboard for that, just my mouse. It's the only reason I haven't played Bio2.. no controller support... that and IR didn't make it.. Batman AC is amazing with a controller its like the console version with better everything.

jediyoshi

I'm looking forward to playing Revelations Raid mode.
3rd person rogue like with RPG elements? Yes please.

If only. The levels are just from the campaign down to collecting keys that are in identical locations, repeating the same puzzles, and having the same enemy spawns. It's like Dragon Age 2 levels of repetition without the guise of a story. The RPG elements are nice, but they only serve the purpose of getting through slightly tougher, slightly tweaked versions of the then identical levels.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
After DigitalSouls very very kind giveaway I was able to generate a code to buy SC Blacklist for free from Ubisofts online shop. Do Ubisoft not send you an actual code for the game to redeem until closer to the time ? I've got order details etc and it's definitely been bought, just wondering how Ubisoft tend to work with preorders on their online shop.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Can anyone tell me why Steam constantly erases my non-steam games that I've added? It seems like every few weeks they're all gone. Any way to keep this from happening?

Are you logging into Steam on a different computer? If I open Steam on my laptop, it removes all my non-Steam games on my desktop.

HoosTrax

Am I just blind, or does the map in Brutal Legend have no labels that show things like collectibles that you've found? That would be really exasperating for an open world game if true.

Turfster

Am I just blind, or does the map in Brutal Legend have no labels that show things like collectibles that you've found? That would be really exasperating for an open world game if true.

They're not marked on the map. There's a number on the stats page, and when you finish the game,
you can get a sort of compass thingy that points to the nearest unclaimed one. I'd missed 3 things, so I spent an hour driving around watching a little thing on the back of my car for changes.
It's... not ideal.

HoosTrax

They're not marked on the map. There's a number on the stats page, and when you finish the game,
you can get a sort of compass thingy that points to the nearest unclaimed one. I'd missed 3 things, so I spent an hour driving around watching a little thing on the back of my car for changes.
It's... not ideal.
Ah...well I guess it's better than nothing. I suppose I'll finish the main story first then.

Turfster

Ah...well I guess it's better than nothing. I suppose I'll finish the main story first then.

Word of warning: don't waste your time trying to get the 100% chievo (which is separate from when you get all the collectibles). You need to have pretty much played hours of multiplayer (or wasted a few hours playing multiplayer by yourself) to get the concept art required for that, and even then, it can be bugged and not trigger at all, like in my case.

Drizzt519

Banned
Its called personal preference... if a PC game has no Controller support I don't buy it... the only game I don't use a controller for is D3, and I don't even use a keyboard for that, just my mouse. It's the only reason I haven't played Bio2.. no controller support... that and IR didn't make it.. Batman AC is amazing with a controller its like the console version with better everything.

Dont like programs like Xpadder or joy2key?

HoosTrax

Word of warning: don't waste your time trying to get the 100% chievo (which is separate from when you get all the collectibles). You need to have pretty much played hours of multiplayer (or wasted a few hours playing multiplayer by yourself) to get the concept art required for that, and even then, it can be bugged and not trigger at all, like in my case.
Ahh, screw multiplayer achievements :|

Turfster

Ahh, screw multiplayer achievements :|

Well, it's not so much a multiplayer achievement (altho there's a shitload of those too).
You need to have made a ton of one unit type to get the concept art for it.
During my playthrough, I'd only gotten it for the medics, razorgirls and some of the later types, where you don't need to create as many to get the concept art.
Oh, and then there's one
where you need to stand on the podium for 5 minutes during an RTS segment to get the final piece of concept art for the Ironheade faction

theytookourjobz

For console, local flea market usually just releases shit the weekend leading up to street date, since they're only open on weekends; they'd rather not lose sales and expect people to come in the weekend after to still buy games.

I'm trying to think of another game that has controls like this. I'm just not a huge fan of it, at all.

Sounds like roadie run in Gears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom