• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

Honest question:

Do you think there's anything to spoil in Alan Wake? People that seen movies the last 2 decades could figure out any "plot surprises" this game throws at then.

Actually the game starts to spoil itself with its manuscript pages gimmick. Good story and easy to recommend to fans of Twin Peaks. I've only played a demo of American Nightmare but it's safe to say that if you played it first you will spoil parts of the story of Alan Wake and more than likely wonder what the fuck is going on with the setting.

zkylon

zkylewd
Eunuchs lack sex drive, so it'd be the laziest, most belabored blowjob ever.

Unless they are psychologically deviant or something, then we've got another problem.
If you've picked up a psychologically deviant eunuch you need to switch up bars, man.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
You know, it's weird how different I am in the Tea |OT|.

I don't think I've ever referenced psychologically deviant, prepubescently-castrated men in there.

ya'll people need jesus tea

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I personally would not recommend playing it at all. Just play Alan Wake (PC) and the DLC chapters. AN is really boring and not worth the time.

I think I edited this post 5 times in the last 20 seconds. 6. 7.

I gotta agree with this here. Treading through 3 tiny levels 3 times each really blows and the story is weak.

Echoplx

Anyone know anything about Cities XL Platinum? I've found some forum posts that basically say it adds nothing new and is just a cashgrab from the publisher to get some money from a dead franchise.

Actually the game starts to spoil itself with its manuscript pages gimmick. Good story and easy to recommend to fans of Twin Peaks. I've only played a demo of American Nightmare but it's safe to say that if you played it first you will spoil parts of the story of Alan Wake and more than likely wonder what the fuck is going on with the setting.
Yeah, I'd definitely argue that AN would spoil AW. Some AW end plot elements aren't even twists as the game plays the plot pretty straight with where things go.

cicero

Never do that. A game in the backlog is a waste of resources, totally pointless. Unless you have the time to play all that XD

So people should wait and buy games at full price only when they have finished their single previous game purchase? A real waste of resources is refusing to buy loads of cheap games during sales because most, if not all of them, will go on a backlog. I enjoy my game library like someone going down to a wine cellar enjoys a fine aged wine.

So people should wait and buy games at full price only when they have finished their single previous game purchase? A real waste of resources is refusing to buy loads of cheap games during sales because most, if not all of them, will go on a backlog. I enjoy my game library like someone going down to a wine cellar enjoys a fine aged wine.
That's a good excuse to not fill bad about having a backlog. In practice many people end up gravitating towards a few selection of games. The classic example is the Steam user with over a 1000 games that only plays Team Fortress most of the time.

Besides we are up to a point in were we are constantly bombarded by sales and specials from many places besides Steam. Plus the building a "library" part, you don't own those games. Unless bothering to the point of backing up every single one of them and then fetch for cracked executables. Going by the terms of service we are Valve b*tches XD

ArjanN

That's a good excuse to not fill bad about having a backlog. In practice many people end up gravitating towards a few selection of games. The classic example is the Steam user with over a 1000 games that only plays Team Fortress most of the time.

Besides we are up to a point in were we are constantly bombarded by sales and specials from many places besides Steam. Plus the building a "library" part, you don't own those games. Unless bothering to the point of backing up every single one of them and then fetch for cracked executables. Going by the terms of service we are Valve b*tches XD

Technically I guess. In practice you own them just fine.

I'll agree there's not much point in buying something you have no intention of playing anytime soon. As always the answer is to play more games.

zkylon

zkylewd
A game that you don't play is a waste. You shouldn't buy a game just because it's cheap.

It's even less "philosophical" if you take into account that everything is constantly on sale everywhere, anyways...

cicero

This is true in many cases, but it doesn't have to be. I might even think you were on my Steam friends list and had taken a look at my account from that comment. :p But I have been expanding my playing into older titles I bought, and at the least, I certainly have the opportunity to do so now without having to pay full retail for what I have an impulse or yearning to play now.

I don't own the games whether or not I only buy one at a time or ten at a time. Given Gabe's comments on the subject and the private aspect of Valve as a company, I have a higher faith in their willingness to treat me decently as a customer than with other services. I also prefer to buy from GOG.com, where the 200+ games I bought ARE mine and controlled by me, DRM free.

A game that you don't play is a waste. You shouldn't buy a game just because it's cheap.

It's even less "philosophical" if you take into account that everything is constantly on sale everywhere, anyways...
It is only a waste until I actually play them. And not being able to play them because I am almost always unwilling to pay full price for games is a bigger waste for me than buying something cheap because I know I want to play it eventually. I only buy things cheap if I find some worth in doing so playing wise. If I know I will hate a game I would never buy it, unless the game was so bad it was actually good, or if I got it in a bundle with other games I actually did want to play. The "everything is on sale everywhere" bit isn't true, there are long gaps between the largest sales, and most games never hit the best sale price points until those large sales, much less go on sale at all until then.

I think the wine cellar metaphor/analogy fits my situation quite nicely. I have a reserve of something that I enjoy as a hobby to fit my whims at any given moment. I wouldn't have it if I hadn't been able to buy it cheaply, but having bought it cheaply I appreciate it even more. I get the thrill of the deal hunt, and then the potential eventual fun playing the games when I feel like it. If I never do get around to them, oh well, it was still fun.

1-D_FTW

The Christmas sale sucked. Things aren't always cheaper in the future. I buy when it hits what I perceive the floor for that game is (and I'm dogmatic... see Rayman Origins). I also don't have OCD. So I could give two rips about what the backlog is. Anyone who's paying full price "when the mood" strikes because they're too OCD to accumulate a backlog at firesale prices should probably set aside some of the money for a therapist.

cicero

The Christmas sale sucked. I buy when it hits what I perceive the floor for that game is (and I'm dogmatic... see Rayman Origins). I also don't have OCD. So I could give two rips about what the backlog is. Anyone who's paying full price "when the mood" strikes because they're too OCD to accumulate a backlog at firesale prices should probably set aside some of the money for a therapist.
I do the same thing. When I see a game I form a quick valuation of what I will pay for it based on my interest and other smaller factors, then I stick to that price point until it is finally met during a large sale. I save money buying during firesales. It would have been FAR more expensive and frustrating to only buy games right at the moment I want to install and play them simply out of some ideal or sense of not wanting to "waste resources".

zkylon

zkylewd
It is only a waste until I actually play them. And not being able to play them because I am almost always unwilling to pay full price for games is a bigger waste for me than buying something cheap because I know I want to play it eventually. I only buy things cheap if I find some worth in doing so playing wise. If I know I will hate a game I would never buy it, unless the game was so bad it was actually good, or if I got it in a bundle with other games I actually did want to play. The "everything is on sale everywhere" bit isn't true, there are long gaps between the largest sales, and most games never hit the best sale price points until those large sales, much less go on sale at all until then.

I think the wine cellar metaphor/analogy fits my situation quite nicely. I have a reserve of something that I enjoy as a hobby to fit my whims at any given moment. I wouldn't have it if I hadn't been able to buy it cheaply, but having bought it cheaply I appreciate it even more. I get the thrill of the deal hunt, and then the potential eventual fun playing the games when I feel like it. If I never do get around to them, oh well, it was still fun.
Not saying you shouldn't ever buy a game if you're not gonna play it right away but the Steam/bundle mentality of buy shit all the time leaves you with tons of games you never get to try and a feeling of wastefulness that shouldn't be there.

I nowadays just rather spend more and buy the game I want the exact moment I want it instead of waiting for the sale or sitting on top of a ton of unplayed games. Sometimes I get burned (Max Payne 3), sometimes I don't (Hotline: Miami), but I feel a lot more in control and I'm slowly getting to games I long time ago wished I had time to take a look at.

The Christmas sale sucked. Things aren't always cheaper in the future. I buy when it hits what I perceive the floor for that game is (and I'm dogmatic... see Rayman Origins). I also don't have OCD. So I could give two rips about what the backlog is. Anyone who's paying full price "when the mood" strikes because they're too OCD to accumulate a backlog at firesale prices should probably set aside some of the money for a therapist.

I've decided to adopt the philosophy that I don't have a backlog but a library.

cicero

Not saying you shouldn't ever buy a game if you're not gonna play it right away but the Steam/bundle mentality of buy shit all the time leaves you with tons of games you never get to try and a feeling of wastefulness that shouldn't be there.

I nowadays just rather spend more and buy the game I want the exact moment I want it instead of waiting for the sale or sitting on top of a ton of unplayed games. Sometimes I get burned (Max Payne 3), sometimes I don't (Hotline: Miami), but I feel a lot more in control and I'm slowly getting to games I long time ago wished I had time to take a look at.
If I had money to burn then buying whenever I felt like finally playing a game would be a somewhat reasonable position to take. The vast majority of us can't do that though. I would waste FAR more money following your ideal than following mine.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
There is no greater emotional feeling of uselessness than a computer without internet access.

It's like having sex with a eunuch.
Spot-on. I don't even want to play Steam games when my internet's off, because it doesn't log my playtime and it won't unlock any achievements.

I long for the day when we can finally have offline internet.

Both how well does the eunuch blows? That could change everything.
Actually, not that bad. It could have been much worse.

zkylon

zkylewd
If I had money to burn then buying whenever I felt like finally playing a game would be a somewhat reasonable position to take. The vast majority of us can't do that though. I would waste FAR more money following your ideal than following mine.
I buy the things I want to play and I play them right away. I spend less money than I did when I was buying shit I was remotely interested just because it was on sale.

It's pretty pathetic you want to call me wasteful when I'm arguing for the exact opposite.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Who cares how people want to spend their money.
I do. It's always interesting to see what games other posters like playing
or adding to their eternal backlog.

And now that we all know how much of a contributor you are, I'd like to ask everyone here, specially you, how should I spend my money, given that I got a raise 3 days ago. The question is what game, if any, should I get: Runner 2 (I love the Bit.Trip games, please pick this one, please!), Antichamber or Sonic & The 12 Miles Long Title Transformed? Bear in mind that I already have a huge backlog which I may or may not ever finish (it's obvious that it'll be the latter).

Or should I save the money to go see Ian Anderson next month (not a big fan of Jethro Tull, but I really liked what I've heard of them)? Or maybe see whether I can find the new special, 3-disc edition of Fleetwood Mac's Rumours?

Giggzy

If you don't care for other people's opinion on random shit you shouldn't be browsing discussion forums.

You're losing the plot here. I'm not sure why you're being so aggressive. People will spend their money how they see fit. What more needs to be said?

If someone is asking for recommendations on how to spend their money(like the poster above) then by all means tell them. But when it comes to buying habits(waiting for sales and going crazy, or buying a game at whatever price the moment you want to play it) everyone will be different.

I should have explained myself better then my one line contribution.

derExperte

Would anyone recommend playing American Nightmare sans Alan Wake? Never got around to the original but I like the price on AN.

Only if you can't afford the compete bundle and REALLY want to play something with Alan Wake in it right now. Don't do it, start from the beginning, AW is too good to skip it and AN will confuse, maybe even annoy you with it's structure. Not a good starting point at all.

zkylon

zkylewd
You're losing the plot here. I'm not sure why you're being so aggressive. People will spend their money how they see fit. What more needs to be said?

If someone is asking for recommendations on how to spend their money(like the poster above) then by all means tell them. But when it comes to buying habits(waiting for sales and going crazy, or buying a game at whatever price the moment you want to play it) everyone will be different.

I should have explained myself better then my one line contribution.
I'm the process of discussing why I think one way is more healthy than another, it's fine if you don't care but others clearly found it worth the debate.

It's a bad habit to pop up in someone else's conversation to have nothing to add but your own disinterest in the subject, because it downplays other's actual interest and derails that conversation.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm trying to practice the same. Every now and then I splurge a bit a grab a bundle (like the MS Amazon one).
Yeah, don't let it become a dogma, I just find the idea "it'll always be on sale again" to be very liberating and to affect my purchases positively. If you sometimes break it, so be it.

oipic

I just find the idea "it'll always be on sale again" to be very liberating and to affect my purchases positively. If you sometimes break it, so be it.

Every now and then my willpower surprises me - I've valiantly fought off many a lustfully winking Witcher 2 sale due to the fact that I'm yet to finish the first one - one day soon, one day soon... I'm in the latter stages of Sleeping Dogs currently (love it!), so back to Geralt's adventures after that, methinks.

Then again, my backlog, or 'library', suggests this self-control isn't an act that I've been able to consistently pull off. I apportion much blame to you lot of well-meaning scoundrels. I love you dearly.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished watching Indie Game: The Movie. The Team Meat guys look like geniunely nice people, especially Edmund McMillen.

Phil Fish came out a little assholish at first, with that "fuck you" to the fans (are they actually fans if there's no released game to be a fan of?) and that talk about killing his ex-partner. At times he sounded like he had mental issues, but it could also be due to stress and overworking. I don't know... maybe a little bit of pity for him?

As for Jonathan Blow, he had such little screen time that I couldn't form any conclusions about him. His talk about the connection between developer and players through the game was really odd.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Coincident with the release of Cities XL Platinum, the following have been removed from the store:

- Cities XL (regular)
- Cities XL (Limited Edition)
- Cities XL 2012

(Thanks to spin for the assist.)

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Oops, wrong thread but I guess I should post something anyway. I got Cities Platinum but have no idea what I bought. It said extra somethin' somethin' which was enough for me.

cicero

I buy the things I want to play and I play them right away. I spend less money than I did when I was buying shit I was remotely interested just because it was on sale.

It's pretty pathetic you want to call me wasteful when I'm arguing for the exact opposite.

I'm sorry, did I specifically say that YOU are wasteful? No. I related everything to me and my experience specifically. YOUR ideal would have been and would be extremely wasteful for ME personally. Why in the world wouldn't I give MY situation as the response to YOUR given situation. That IS what we are discussing here, personal anecdotes and conclusions derived from them. That being said, personally I do doubt that the vast majority of gamers would agree with you or follow your "non resource wasting" ideal.

Man, I really regret starting a new character in vanilla Skyrim cos now Skyrim is reminding me why I didn't like Oblivion back in the day. Given how the Elderscrolls is supposed to be a series about player freedom, the game really only rewards one kind of character build with some of its stupid, rigid encounters and terrible enemy scaling.

I had a one handed melee tank that I plowed through the base game with when it first came out. I made that character a walking tank cos I knew that would be the only way the game would be enjoyable/playable. Cleared every questline and faction, found every shout, got all of the daedric artifacts and got every achievement. The character was so powerful that it kind of made Dawnguard boring to play through, so I started a new one in anticipation of Dragonborn. Went from one-handed melee, heavy armor tank to light armor, stealthy archer and things went to shit pretty quick. Some of the encounters in this game just drag on and on. Ranged damage just doesn't cut it once you lose the stealth bonus. You go from basically one-shotting average bandits and whatnot to filling some enemies with so many arrows that they're walking pin-cushions. It's awesome when you're getting bum rushed by a thing you've shot in the head multiple times. Arrows are going through eyes and sticking out the backs of head but this somehow does little to no damage, doesn't phase enemies. So terrible.

Even with a follower to stand there and take the punches these fights suck because they simply drag on and on. Probably gonna go digging back through my older save files to find the older, more powerful character to complete Dragonborn.

I really need to look into modding this game.

Sajjaja

Man, I really regret starting a new character in vanilla Skyrim cos now Skyrim is reminding me why I didn't like Oblivion back in the day. Given how the Elderscrolls is supposed to be a series about player freedom, the game really only rewards one kind of character build with some of its stupid, rigid encounters and terrible enemy scaling.

I had a one handed melee tank that I plowed through the base game with when it first came out. I made that character a walking tank cos I knew that would be the only way the game would be enjoyable/playable. Cleared every questline and faction, found every shout, got all of the daedric artifacts and got every achievement. The character was so powerful that it kind of made Dawnguard boring to play through, so I started a new one in anticipation of Dragonborn. Went from one-handed melee, heavy armor tank to light armor, stealthy archer and things went to shit pretty quick. Some of the encounters in this game just drag on and on. Ranged damage just doesn't cut it once you lose the stealth bonus. You go from basically one-shotting average bandits and whatnot to filling some enemies with so many arrows that they're walking pin-cushions. It's awesome when you're getting bum rushed by a thing you've shot in the head multiple times. Arrows are going through eyes and sticking out the backs of head but this somehow does little to no damage, doesn't phase enemies. So terrible.

Even with a follower to stand there and take the punches these fights suck because they simply drag on and on. Probably gonna go digging back through my older save files to find the older, more powerful character to complete Dragonborn.

Check out Requiem. Apparently it makes it more like Morrowind allowing for a larger variety of viable character builds. I haven't checked it out though.

Deques

Coincident with the release of Cities XL Platinum, the following have been removed from the store:

- Cities XL (regular)
- Cities XL (Limited Edition)
- Cities XL 2012

(Thanks to spin for the assist.)
85% off for those who own the previous games. Anyone wanna help me get Platinum?

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm sorry, did I specifically say that YOU are wasteful? No. I related everything to me and my experience specifically. YOUR ideal would have been and would be extremely wasteful for ME personally. Why in the world wouldn't I give MY situation as the response to YOUR given situation. That IS what we are discussing here, personal anecdotes and conclusions derived from them. That being said, personally I do doubt that the vast majority of gamers would agree with you or follow your "non resource wasting" ideal.
Well, in interest of keeping shit amicable, I'll accept that :)

edit: to be honest I felt accused of being wasteful when I'm not in the best place financially, so yeah, I didn't like it.

Every now and then my willpower surprises me - I've valiantly fought off many a lustfully winking Witcher 2 sale due to the fact that I'm yet to finish the first one - one day soon, one day soon... I'm in the latter stages of Sleeping Dogs currently (love it!), so back to Geralt's adventures after that, methinks.

Then again, my backlog, or 'library', suggests this self-control isn't an act that I've been able to consistently pull off. I apportion much blame to you lot of well-meaning scoundrels. I love you dearly.
I'm exactly in the same situation. I started my second run of TW2 a while ago and dropped it for Sleepy Dawgs (though I'm not so happy with it). I dunno if I'll go back to TW2, tho...

Tizoc

Just noticed that Cities in Motion is on sale. Base game is $5, complete is 12.50.

Also, anyone up for a trade for SFxT Complete? I can buy and trade a game on steam that's/that totals $25 for it if anyone's interested?

SteveWD40

It's ironic as I found the Stealthy Archer to be game breakingly easy. It's hard at first sure but once you get a few perks in Stealth and Archery you become a ninja, I could usually one shot anything if I got a sneak bonus and that allowed me to save health potions etc... for the harder fights, which you could cheese using terrain if you needed to.

As said, spacial awareness and re-hiding were key early on.

I found mele tank far too hard, especially when Dragons just refused to land anywhere near you, fighting a Dragon as an Archer with a tree for cover was great.

Xanathus

It's ironic as I found the Stealthy Archer to be game breakingly easy. It's hard at first sure but once you get a few perks in Stealth and Archery you become a ninja, I could usually one shot anything if I got a sneak bonus and that allowed me to save health potions etc... for the harder fights, which you could cheese using terrain if you needed to.

As said, spacial awareness and re-hiding were key early on.

I found mele tank far too hard, especially when Dragons just refused to land anywhere near you, fighting a Dragon as an Archer with a tree for cover was great.

Playing as a stealth archer was also really game-breaking after I exploited Smithing to make a godly bow that one shots giants with stealth bonus.

Tizoc

I like stealth; what are the steps I should follow to create an OP stealth/archer/ninja character in Skyrim?

SteveWD40

I like stealth; what are the steps I should follow to create an OP stealth/archer/ninja character in Skyrim?

What worked for me quickly:

Stealth walk through dungeons, you will get skill ups the minute you get near an enemy and always have the chance for a sneak attack.

Grab the best bow / arrows you can, ignore armour (leather is fine until you can get cool stuff like Nightingale), have 2 daggers for back up as you need to kill fast if shit goes bad and re-hide.

Aim just above the head, not sure if head shots hurt more in Skyrim like the did in Oblivion but they seem to.

Pick groups off one by one with as long a shot as you can, re-hiding to take them all out.

Pick the Archery and Stealth perks first.

Reading that back it all sounds pretty common sense, but it worked for me and by even level 13 I was unkillable for the most part. Only thing is you might want to save some of the bigger quests until you have some perks as some of the end fights can be hard if you can't re-hide.

Oh and get the Archery mod on the Workshop that gives more perks (like bleed over time).

Selling SFxT Complete Pack (Steam Gift) for $14 Paypal if anyone's interested in buying it.
Only a bunch of hours left, so if you want me to help you out, let me know as soon as possible.
I could also reserve a copy for those who can't pay right now.

How stable is Steam beta by the way?
I've been thinking about joining the Steam beta program, but I'm not really up for it if it have a lot of bugs.
The offline messaging is a really nice feature I'd like to have.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How stable is Steam beta by the way?
I've been thinking about joining the Steam beta program, but I'm not really up for it if it have a lot of bugs.
The offline messaging is a really nice feature I'd like to have.

I've been in the client beta for at least 6-9 months now and haven't had any issues, which is rather surprising as I had precisely the opposite experience with the betas when I tried them at various times earlier (namely with the client completely locking up when, say, downloading or installing).

I've been in the client beta for at least 6-9 months now and haven't had any issues, which is rather surprising as I had precisely the opposite experience with the betas when I tried them at various times earlier (namely with the client completely locking up when, say, downloading or installing).

Sold, updating this very second :)
Even the stable version isn't really that stable really, it still locks up specific times for short moments and downloading slows it down aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom