• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNC

I have to agree on Alan Wake; When it was announced I was so set on getting the game, and now that I'm finally playing it I find it pretty... boring. The gameplay is pretty tedious. I'm enjoying the 'walk around and talk with people' stuff more interesting than the gameplay segments.

And I fucking hate that the lip synching sucks and nobody in Alan Wake changes facial expressions.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Alan Wake is not for everyone, and it is not perfect, but I really do enjoy it. American Nightmare does fix up a few problems I had with the original combat-wise, but I like it a tad less as I love the characters, story, and setting of the original game. Whenever a sequel does get made, I do hope for some improvements, but among the crowd that loved the game.

That all said, there definitely are those that find the game repetitive and boring.

Alan Wake is best enjoyed on the easiest or the hardest difficulty. If you only want to take in the atmosphere and story, by all means, choose the Easy difficulty setting. You'll have to fight anyway but if the light/darkness-mechanic doesn't appeal to you, it's better to make them as easy as possible so you can get to the "good stuff".

Now if you actually want to play a game that challenges you, go with Hard or even Nightmare. The fights get very strategic and you have to be quick, be aware of your surroundings and use your tools in the most efficient way. The combat isn't just about killing your enemies but stopping them in their tracks, controlling flocks of enemies, baiting them and sometimes even escaping. It's hard to think of a game that plays like Alan Wake but you'll only see this side of it if you play on higher difficulties and are practically forced to play it like this.

Nabs

War of the Roses now has an online demo http://store.steampowered.com/app/230940

header.jpg

VG247: The trial gives users full access to online battles, and lets them fight against other free or paid players. It will not however, include unlocks, restricting players to base classes and weapons.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Alan Wake is best enjoyed on the easiest or the hardest difficulty. If you only want to take in the atmosphere and story, by all means, choose the Easy difficulty setting. You'll have to fight anyway but if the light/darkness-mechanic doesn't appeal to you, it's better to make them as easy as possible so you can get to the "good stuff".

Now if you actually want to play a game that challenges you, go with Hard or even Nightmare. The fights get very strategic and you have to be quick, be aware of your surroundings and use your tools in the most efficient way. The combat isn't just about killing your enemies but stopping them in their tracks, controlling flocks of enemies, baiting them and sometimes even escaping. It's hard to think of a game that plays like Alan Wake but you'll only see this side of it if you play on higher difficulties and are practically forced to play it like this.
Nice. I usually ignore hard mode in most games because they just turn enemies into damage sponges. I beat Alan Wake on normal on the 360 but I'll give the harder setting a try with the PC version because of your post.

edit: I was checking the wikia and it looks like the 360 version's hard became the normal mode on PC, and normal is called easy. Nightmare mode has exclusive manuscript pages, but I can only play it after I beat it on normal/hard, so I'll be doing more than one playthrough when I get to it (hard, then nightmare).

Grief.exe

I really want to play Alan Wake again.

I played it on release back when I had a console. Great game in my opinion, has its faults though.

I find myself getting more and more bitter over Skyrim.

I just wish it wasn't so dumbed down, they added some depth to the combat, and moved on from Gamebyro.
Morrowind is one of my favorite games of all time. Skyrim is the complete opposite.

Nice. I usually ignore hard mode in most games because they just turn enemies into damage sponges. I beat Alan Wake on normal on the 360 but I'll give the harder setting a try with the PC version because of your post.

edit: I was checking the wikia and it looks like the 360 version's hard became the normal mode on PC, and normal is called easy. Nightmare mode has exclusive manuscript pages, but I can only play it after I beat it on normal/hard, so I'll be doing more than one playthrough when I get to it (hard, then nightmare).

You can unlock Nightmare with a launch parameter. Go to Alan Wake -> Properties -> Launch options and enter "-developermenu" (without the quotes).

Have fun :)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Was wondering what their daily deal would be today~
Is anything else on sale/offer this week?

There's also Stealth Bastard Deluxe at half off ($5 for the base game; $6.50 for the game+OST bundle), and if you're one for DRM-free games, Giana Sisters is 40% off ($8.99).

Also can we expect some new discounts from GMG today?

Not today; it's still midday (well, 1:40) Thursday in the UK and GMG's weekend deals don't go live until 4pm Friday.

FloatOn

So I've been going through Binary Domain lately and it's been a really good time. If for some reason you haven't played it yet, I would rectify that.

I've been telling people "it's like a non crappy gears of war with terminator robots and Japanese weirdness".

Tizoc

9 pounds is like what $15? This is less than half lol. Fuck it gonna get it even tho I have it on my PS3 backlog. CURSE YOU STEAM GAF AND YOUR BACKLOG ADDICTION, CURSE YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

Gonna grab this, but is there a code that can offer a further discount on GG, even if it's like 5% or such?

JaseC

War of the Roses now has an online demo http://store.steampowered.com/app/230940

header.jpg

VG247: The trial gives users full access to online battles, and lets them fight against other free or paid players. It will not however, include unlocks, restricting players to base classes and weapons.

WotR needs to be 66% off already.

9 pounds is like what $15? This is less than half lol. Fuck it gonna get it even tho I have it on my PS3 backlog. CURSE YOU STEAM GAF AND YOUR BACKLOG ADDICTION, CURSE YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

Gonna grab this, but is there a code that can offer a further discount on GG, even if it's like 5% or such?

A few GAFers have the 20% discount code that was given to those who didn't receive all the keys for the Bethesda pack.

Tizoc

WotR needs to be 66% off already.

A few GAFers have the 20% discount code that was given to those who didn't receive all the keys for the Bethesda pack.

Man I gotta start making use of these mispricings during the upcoming summer sale...

Looks like Rayman Origins fans on PC have a tiny bit of hope today. Legends has been confirmed for all cuarrent gen consoles 360/PS3/Wii U.

So maybe a PC port is in the cards.

MNC

jimcarreywhothefuckareyoutalkingto.gif

but I agree. I don't remember when I bought a game for more than 40€.

Haha yeah, I had a whole post written out on how I randomly post thoughts after reading other posts in the thread/page, but it got deleted when I accidentally backed instead of backspaced. Anyway, I randomly post thoughts after reading other posts in this thread/page.

JaseC

So I'm thinking about dropping $80 for Kingdoms of Alumar on Steam
because fuck you Origin

Tony has been in contact with the company that owns bloke who lays claim to the IP and may be selling Steam keys on Amazon in the coming months.

is it any good?

My summarised thoughts:

The game isn't anything special; it's essentially Fable meets a God of War-lite combat system complete with a pinch of MMOesque game/world design. As one who enjoys Fable for its WRPG simplicity, I found the game to be quite fun, although there's no denying the sheer size of it (and resulting repetitiveness of the quest design) can begin to weigh down the overall experience.

Refyref

The CS:GO deal is because the game was just updated with Workshop support. Also, there is a new game mode being tested there.

1-D_FTW

Don't get your hopes up just yet! It's far from a sure thing at this juncture. Here's the post in question:

Edit: D'oh, didn't switch tabs.

I feel so dirty. Knew I shouldn't have bought the Origin bundle for 9.99 during the new year sale on amazon.

JaseC

I wish someone could get a deal like that together for System Shock 2. :(

System Shock is a slightly different story as the IP is split between two companies (Star Insurance owns the rights and EA could, despite letting it expire, lay claim to the trademark), whereas Amalur firmly rests within the hands of the state of RI, and the former is wedged tightly between a rock and a hard place: Star would like to be "compensated" if it sold the rights (presumably meaning a cut of the revenue the series generates) while EA is essentially sitting on the trademark -- both don't want to reach a compromise.

Dr Dogg

So I'm thinking about dropping $80 for Kingdoms of Alumar on Steam
because fuck you Origin

is it any good?

Yeah, out of panic when 38 Studios went belly up (well the state of Rhode Island aren't going to do anything worth while with them) out of panic I bought the base game and dlc pack for fear it would get pulled from Steam and managed a rather pointless 3 hours worth.

Sunk about 20 hours into it on the 360 and yeah it's alright, bit Fable-ish, very MMO-like and boy does the dialogue get confusing at times and the way the level scaling works is just plain stupid. Plus point is the combat, whilst not too deep is at least enjoyable but due to its size, convoluted nature and the crazy amount of sidequests it's very easy to forget what on earth the plot of the main quest is at times.

You could get 40-80 hours worth out of it but I'd say it's worth around $30-$40 tops.

JaseC

Damn! And seeing that this game dishes out achievements like DOTA 2 keys and you're only 2/3rds done, 200 hours could be on the cards.

I generally don't bother with achievement hunting, I just decided to do everything the game had to offer (which I regretted somewhat as the game became tremendously easy). I'll get around to the DLC eventually, though.

Huh, I was just thinking I should give this another go after ragequitting the 360 version due to a shitty build.

Is Missing Link worthwhile?

The Missing Link is well worth it. Depending on your play style (aggressive or stealth) you'll get anywhere from a few to several hours out of the content.

Dr Dogg

I generally don't bother with achievement hunting, I just decided to do everything the game had to offer (which I regretted somewhat as the game became tremendously easy). I'll get around to the DLC eventually, though.

Yeah, sorry what I ment was that to gauge how much of the game you completed I was looking at how many you had unlocked as I found it was just giving them to me for playing the game. Baring 1 or 2 that would require going out of your way they would all unlock eventually.

Huh, I was just thinking I should give this another go after ragequitting the 360 version due to a shitty build.

Is Missing Link worthwhile?

Really good on PC, one of the few games I bought day 1, full price and couldn't stop playing. Runs really well, though has some low res prerendered cutscenes but only 3 or 4. The Missing Link is quite good as well, and lets change things up from how you were playing in the main game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom