• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Contracts has never been on Steam, as Eidos' right to use a certain song expired and there's been no effort to get the issue sorted or remove/replace said track.

Ah never knew that. Might get this bundle then trade off Blood Money since I already have it.

1-D_FTW

I've been thinking of changing my PC so that it boots straight into Big Picture Mode. I have my PC hooked up to my living room HDTV and its only function is as a gaming system, other than occassionaly browsing GAF or buying something from GMG. Often the whole Windows boot up sequence and having to see a desktop is largely a waste of time to me.

I assumed this couldn't be done but after some quick Googling it sounds like it's actually pretty painless and simple to sort out.

Anyone any experience with this? Any horror stories or tips? And does anyone here use Big Picture Mode exclusively and miss anything from the regular Steam layout?

I've never done this, but I can't imagine it's going to change anything. Windows will still have to do it's thang before it can allow Steam to take over and go into BPM. It just means you don't have to press any buttons to get there.

If you don't want to deal with that hassle, you could just put your computer to sleep. Power down on my system uses like 2 watts compared to 3 watts for sleep. So it's not like there's any real energy saving by powering down.

I've been thinking of changing my PC so that it boots straight into Big Picture Mode. I have my PC hooked up to my living room HDTV and its only function is as a gaming system, other than occassionaly browsing GAF or buying something from GMG. Often the whole Windows boot up sequence and having to see a desktop is largely a waste of time to me.

I assumed this couldn't be done but after some quick Googling it sounds like it's actually pretty painless and simple to sort out.

Anyone any experience with this? Any horror stories or tips? And does anyone here use Big Picture Mode exclusively and miss anything from the regular Steam layout?

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bigpicture/discussions/1/882960308837294685/

I followed a similar setup to get XBMC to replace explorer.exe in Windows 8 and it works fine (Although it was slightly different there: http://cybernetnews.com/xbmc-run-boot-xbmc-startup-windows-8/ but I don't know if that applies to earlier Windows versions), if you ever need to get back to the Windows interface you can bring up task manager and just run Explorer.exe (or even have it as a Steam shortcut) and you're away.

ShaneB

The Metro steam skin has become my favourite just by default, knowing it's regularly updated, compared to other skins that I actually prefer more :(

Addnan

I don't get any sound in Bioshock 1 after the intro. I remember having this problem before, but don't remember how I fixed it. Help!

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Giving out $.02 worth of prizes, so generous.

I almost have this Linux thing doing what I want it too. All this for the potental to get a hat to a game I haven't played in months.

Remember when you could trade it for Skyrim and people getting banned for selling them for 100s!

dk_

Pixelvision just comes across as too dark for me. Tried it multiple times, but in my opinion it just doesn't read well. And yes, you can use the Metro Skin with Windows 7 of course :p

I prefer Minimal UI, or Apparition, but those aren't regularly updated :(

Tried it and I still think Pixelvision is better. But it's not bad at all, I just like the other style more! :)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Pixelvision just comes across as too dark for me. Tried it multiple times, but in my opinion it just doesn't read well. And yes, you can use the Metro Skin with Windows 7 of course :p

I prefer Minimal UI, or Apparition, but those aren't regularly updated :(

That's what I like most about PixelVision -- its creator keeps on top of development, and even when he's AWOL there are plenty of PV users over at SPUF that are quick to provide interim fixes when a client update breaks the layout.

see5harp

I never realized how sad Team Fortress 2 items and trading has gotten. Someone added me as a friend with a completely fabricated profile with the intention of getting Mac Ear Buds from me. The person seemed nice and I never even play Team Fortress 2 so I didn't care in the least. I traded the items for nothing. Now I come to realize that they are worth actual money to some sad people. I don't know if I should be angry at the scammer or angry at the people who would actually pay real money for the item.

I never realized how sad Team Fortress 2 items and trading has gotten. Someone added me as a friend with a completely fabricated profile with the intention of getting Mac Ear Buds from me. The person seemed nice so and I never even play Team Fortress 2 so I didn't care in the least. I traded the items for nothing. Now I come to realize that they are worth actual money to some sad people. I don't know if I should be angry at the scammer or angry at the people who would actually pay real money for the item.

Sounds like you should be angry at yourself if anyone.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I never realized how sad Team Fortress 2 items and trading has gotten. Someone added me as a friend with a completely fabricated profile with the intention of getting Mac Ear Buds from me. The person seemed nice so and I never even play Team Fortress 2 so I didn't care in the least. I traded the items for nothing. Now I come to realize that they are worth actual money to some sad people. I don't know if I should be angry at the scammer or angry at the people who would actually pay real money for the item.

Yeah i've had that happen. Dude added me with his profile changed to make it look like he was from my area (even though the info on my profile is 9-10 years outdated) and tried to make it sound like he was a friend of mine from school. When I inquired about his name he gave me a name of a person I never was friends with in elementary/middle/high school, but I kept stringing him along. He responded to everything I was saying like "Yeah yeah, it was great times man!" and the like. Maybe 10 minutes into this he dropped the question of if I played TF2 at all, and then asked me about my earbuds and if I used them. I kinda ignored the question and kept on rambling. Probably half an hour into it he asked me again about the earbuds, so I told him to fuck himself for trying to pretend he knew me when I made up virtually everything I had said and then blocked him.

TF2 scammers are real cocksuckers sometimes.

JaseC

Putting aside you giving away a valuable item, as a rule of thumb you should ignore friend requests from those with whom you have no friends and/or groups in common (the primary exception being if person in question is an IRL friend).

see5harp

I'm not really that mad at losing the item because I don't even play the game. Hell I didn't even realize it was actually worth something to people until I watched the Gabe DICE thing and he actually mentioned OSX ear buds...I just started laughing and realized that I had given them away to some complete stranger. I checked my friendlist and yup person was no longer a friend lol.

Joe Molotov

It's gonna be funny when you buy Kingdoms Amalur for $80, and then the next day Steam's like "Daily Deal - 80% off!". *gabetrollface.jpg* *rhodeislandtrollface.jpg*

Zia

TF2 traders are real cocksuckers sometimes.

Fixed. I was playing this morning and someone kept trying to trade me for my Earbuds. I told him I was not trading them away so he incessantly kept spamming me with trades. I ignored him and he then initiated a vote saying I was "idle." Of course people pay absolutely no attention to what's going on and so, despite being the top contributor to our team, I was kicked. Was having a lot of fun on that server, too... -_-

Draft

I never realized how sad Team Fortress 2 items and trading has gotten. Someone added me as a friend with a completely fabricated profile with the intention of getting Mac Ear Buds from me. The person seemed nice and I never even play Team Fortress 2 so I didn't care in the least. I traded the items for nothing. Now I come to realize that they are worth actual money to some sad people. I don't know if I should be angry at the scammer or angry at the people who would actually pay real money for the item.
Don't get between spergy weirdos and their digital wardrobes.

smr00

Banned
Dont buy tdu2. Server are offline like 3 or 4 months ago.
I was literally about to purchase this and something told me to check GAF for opinions on it.

I noticed CS:GO is $7.50, is it worth it? I used to play competitively in CS 1.5/1.6 and CSS back in the day and mixed things about CS:GO, is it worth $7.50? Is this the lowest it's been?

JaseC

I noticed CS:GO is $7.50, is it worth it? I used to play competitively in CS 1.5/1.6 and CSS back in the day and mixed things about CS:GO, is it worth $7.50? Is this the lowest it's been?

Yes, and yes. I've been having a lot of fun with GO as of the most recent update (first time I'd played it in a while, since my 'net connection isn't the best for online play).

1-D_FTW

From gaf racing threads, I know there are people here who absolutely despise it. That's from people who loved the first game. It's supposedly an abomination of all that was good with the first. Broken crap is the impression I've gotten.

Randdalf

I was literally about to purchase this and something told me to check GAF for opinions on it.

I think CS:GO is a fantastic Counter-Strike game, and Valve are putting loads of effort into updating and improving it like they did with TF2 in the early days before they caught the hat bug. I personally did not at all enjoy playing Source, so CS:GO is quite refreshing. It feels like the first professionally made CS game, the matchmaking options in particular are excellent. That said, I personally am not at all fluent in the deep gun mechanics and all the nuances of the past games because I haven't even touched 1.6 and was turned off playing Source almost immediately.

Uiki

They just added steam map workshop to the game...so yeah, for that price its a must buy.

Well that's convenient timing. I just bought a racing wheel and I'm looking for racing games to play with it.

From gaf racing threads, I know there are people here who absolutely despise it. That's from people who loved the first game. It's supposedly an abomination of all that was good with the first. Broken crap is the impression I've gotten.

Hmmmm... maybe I should look into it a bit more.

smr00

Banned
Yes, and yes. I've been having a lot of fun with GO as of the most recent update (first time I'd played it in a while, since my 'net connection isn't the best for online play).
Better than Source? Sold.

A lot of FTL talk on there and it's also making me interested.. Worth $10? Or wait for sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom