• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Better bang for your buck is to build your own ~$800 desktop and pick up a $200 to $300 laptop to do all the mobile things you want to do.

Better bang for your buck is to build your own ~$800 desktop and pick up a $200 to $300 laptop to do all the mobile things you want to do.

this is the way to go. You could also use RasberryPi or something of the like if you want to do the home theater streaming bit.

$800 desktop >>> $800 laptop

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
this is the way to go. You could also use RasberryPi or something of the like if you want to do the home theater streaming bit.

Honestly, $600 to $700 home-built desktop >>> $1,000 laptop.

Plus, one is completely upgrade-able. In two to four years time, swap in a 100 to 200 dollar GPU and you're more than current again. In two to four years time, throw away your laptop and buy another $1,500 beast.

Could even get a $1000 desktop and a $300-400 laptop and still come out on top.

Plus, one is completely upgrade-able. In two to four years time, swap in a 100 to 200 dollar GPU and you're more than current again. In two to four years time, throw away your laptop and buy another $1,500 beast.

This is the cake right here. A gaming laptop will become obsolete in 2 years. A desktop could last you 4-5 with only a GPU upgrade.

Dr Dogg

Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed is so fucking good why aren't you guys buying/playing it

It's on my radar but seeing as F1 Race Stars was a PS+ freebie this month I've only got enough time for one kart racer at a time. Sega would have to bribe me by promising to make a true Sega Rally follow up (not that XBLA rubbish that came out) to get me to jump on board early. Soundtrack is ace though.

Honestly, $600 to $700 home-built desktop >>> $1,000 laptop.

couldn't agree more. Did the laptop thing through college, but have now come to the dark side and can't go back.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed is so fucking good why aren't you guys buying/playing it
I got Omerta instead (before everyone knew it was lame) and now I am SALTY AS FUCK about missing the best kart racer since CTR. I have actually been so salty and burned by the continual reminder of it in the PC scene that I abandoned playing my PC games and started playing my old PS1 games. SotN, Parasite Eve, DQ7, many others. I have a fuckton of trusted classics here to comfort me.

If at least one side of Omerta was substantial I wouldn't have been so bothered. If the strategy side was Tropico level or if the tactical side was Jagged Alliance level, that would be okay. But instead we get some sort of cardboard cutout of the real deal on both ends and it doesn't seem like merely choosing the lesser game, but like wasting money. Wasting money isn't even something that would bother me much, but when it coincides with missing the opportunity to play SRT, yes, I am very burned.

You dun fucked up, Kalypso. I hope you are happy that what you got out of me this one time is the last you will ever get.

Crub

A waste of money, unless you plan to attend a lot of small-size LAN parties. The laptop is not very portable, nor does it give you a lot of bang for your buck, as far as performance goes. It's like trying to buy a desktop and laptop in one, but ending up getting none of the benefits from either side.

As others have said, a decent desktop/HTPC + a regular laptop is a much better investment.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Thank you :). Turning on stereo mix seems to have done the trick.
Be aware that doing so will probably make Windows stream your system sounds when playing multiplayer games, as if it were an open mic, which is very annoying for the people you are playing with (speaking from experience, both sides of it). You can avoid it by disabling Stereo Mix before launching the game, or turning the mic volume all the way down in-game, or choosing the push-to-talk option (if the game allows it).

1-D_FTW

It's on my radar but seeing as F1 Race Stars was a PS+ freebie this month I've only got enough time for one kart racer at a time. Sega would have to bribe me by promising to make a true Sega Rally follow up (not that XBLA rubbish that came out) to get me to jump on board early. Soundtrack is ace though.

Wow. Only makes Codemasters insistence on keeping the price high all the more laughable. The sooner it gets to 5.00 bucks, the sooner people might become tempted against their better judgement. Although I'd bet money against this happening for at least 18 months. Codemaster games have gotten more expensive, not cheaper. Even their sales tend to suck now.

Dr Dogg

Wow. Only makes Codemasters insistence on keeping the price high all the more laughable. The sooner it gets to 5.00 bucks, the sooner people might become tempted against their better judgement. Although I'd bet money against this happening for at least 18 months. Codemaster games have gotten more expensive, not cheaper. Even their sales tend to suck now.

To be honest I can't see it selling at even $5. After being schooled by Mario Kart et al for the last 21 or so years, having a kart racer that doesn't allow you to jump or drift is counter-intuative. Online is dead even with it on Plus and it doesn't help there's masses of dlc fragmenting it as well. Still mustn't grumble at a freebie.

I think that whole AMD/Dirt 3 codes leak cost them a big proportion of sales they were expecting. Since then there prices have stayed a lot higher and they don't seam to go as deep with their discounts anymore.

Bumhead

Banned
So I've got a second profile on my PC now which I have set to automatically boot into Big Picture Mode. It's rather brilliant. Steam Box? Yep, already got one.

Only problem I have though is that the Set Category option doesn't appear to be working in BPM. I'm a bit OCD with my library organisation and not having that do anything is annoying me way more than it should. Is this a known problem with BPM? I don't want to have to switch to the regular Steam view every time I want to bump something to "Now Playing" or relegate it to "Scrap Heap"..

Wok

Hum... I wanted to buy a new laptop for gaming. I felt like an Alienware 14x would be good enough to play in low res (1366x768), thanks to the association of an i7 and a GT 650M with 2 GB. However, now that people are recommending against it, I don't know anymore.

I know about these threads, but still...

My current laptop consists in:
  • Core2 Duo 65 nm @ 2 GHz
  • 2 GB DDR2 @ 332 MHz
  • 128 MB Quadro NVS 135M

You are truly a king among fools if you buy an Alienware.

Yeah, don't buy Alienware. Building a PC is where it's at.

I know. It is more expense but simpler: you pay (more) and you receive the device.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Hum... I wanted to buy a new laptop for gaming. I felt like an Alienware 14x would be good enough to play in low res (1366x768), thanks to the association of an i7 and a GT 650M with 2 GB. However, now that people are recommending against it, I don't know anymore.

You are truly a king among fools if you buy an Alienware.

Fireblend

Banned

I know about these threads, but still...

Yeah, don't buy Alienware. Building a PC is where it's at.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
So what's the OG shit, Clevo? Asus ROG, MSI?

Each have their own shortcomings. :(

Clevo seems to be the big company that everyone raves about as best bang for buck and built like tanks, if a little utilitarian in design. Xotic PC has a lot of really good models up but of course you still pay a bit more for portability compared to going full on custom built tower.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
What were the devs thinking when they made the final boss in Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet?

I think the game would have been improved by removing all the combat and the final boss. The puzzles are good and the art is wonderful.

1-D_FTW

To be honest I can't see it selling at even $5. After being schooled by Mario Kart et al for the last 21 or so years, having a kart racer that doesn't allow you to jump or drift is counter-intuative. Online is dead even with it on Plus and it doesn't help there's masses of dlc fragmenting it as well. Still mustn't grumble at a freebie.

I think that whole AMD/Dirt 3 codes leak cost them a big proportion of sales they were expecting. Since then there prices have stayed a lot higher and they don't seam to go as deep with their discounts anymore.

You're probably right. I'd pay 5 dollars, just because it looks really freaking awesome in 3D. And playing each track a couple of times would be enough for me to feel satisfied with the purchase.

Clevo seems to be the big company that everyone raves about as best bang for buck and built like tanks, if a little utilitarian in design. Xotic PC has a lot of really good models up but of course you still pay a bit more for portability compared to going full on custom built tower.

Yeah, when Haswell comes out I'm going to have to decide between a beefy clevo notebook, or decide that haswell's graphics are fine enough and go with an Asus zenbook. I guess if intel is good enough for playing dota 2 well it will make a convincing argument.

What were the devs thinking when they made the final boss in Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet?

I think the game would have been improved by removing all the combat and the final boss. The puzzles are good and the art is wonderful.

I find myself saying this about far too many games these days.

1-D_FTW

Fucking bosses. Don't even get me started on a rant. It's a relic of quarter munching arcade roots. Hate em. Don't pad games with this junk (unless you're making a beat em' up arcade game... then whatever. I won't be playing anyways.)

Lint21

Neo Member

Yep, I bought a Sager/Clevo from XoticPC about 16 months ago. It's been great in terms of playing anything I throw at it on max settings with high FPS. I imagine I'll replace it in 2014, though it may last longer.

You're also exactly right about the premium for portability. My laptop was $1500 or so, but it's my only gaming PC, and being able to game at the in-laws house or while travelling for business has absolutely been worth it.

If he looks around, there are actually some nice hide-a-way furniture designs you can build. I've got mine designed, but it's part of another project and I don't want to start it till I know I have a bunch of time I can dedicate to it.
Yeah, I've looked around and I've seen a design I'm going to use with some tweaks I think if I can find the hardware.

I think this was last night's Jeopardy:

BAEA9zz.jpg

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Oh they added a classic mode to Ace of Spades?
I'm gonna check if it holds like the beta (alpha?).

As it stands, it's a dull multi-class shooter. But back then it was a fun, gritty, dirty WWI-like shooter.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Oh they added a classic mode to Ace of Spades?
I'm gonna check if it holds like the beta (alpha?).

As it stands, it's a dull multi-class shooter. But back then it was a fun, gritty, dirty WWI-like shooter.
Classic mode was fun. I thought Zombie mode was pretty great too. Even the Destruction mode is at least something different. But I have no idea why TDM is so popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom