• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as I can do 1080p@60fps I'll be good for a while. I'll just turn down everything else. Worst case I just play my backlog *shudder*

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I got toy soldiers because some xboxen said it was good. Why I listened to that nonsense I'll never know. What a flaming turdsteak that game is.

Baha

I'm not intentionally buying another TD game. Toy Soldiers came with the pack and I didn't think to look into it before activating it.

There's a demo on the steam store, give a shot. I'm not a big TD fan but I've sunk 25 hrs into it, it's pretty addictive.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Classic mode was fun. I thought Zombie mode was pretty great too. Even the Destruction mode is at least something different. But I have no idea why TDM is so popular.

Zombie was alright, as long as the map compliments it. I dug Diamond Heist, though I admit it's pretty aimless.
But it doesn't matter all too much because after trying it, Classic Mode is king.

Tizoc

I think an Alienware X51 of the same specs is a few hundred dollars cheaper, and for your purposes would work fine since you're not taking it out of the house -- you're hooking it up to the TV. You'd need to get a wireless KBM though.

(I wouldn't buy one myself, I'd just make a mini-ITX system if I really wanted something small)

I'll see if the shop that has that model has Alienware as well, but that's the only model out of the 4 I'm looking for that I found (no Lenovo Y580 anywhere in this country wtf...)

A waste of money, unless you plan to attend a lot of small-size LAN parties. The laptop is not very portable, nor does it give you a lot of bang for your buck, as far as performance goes. It's like trying to buy a desktop and laptop in one, but ending up getting none of the benefits from either side.

As others have said, a decent desktop/HTPC + a regular laptop is a much better investment.

Well I'm going based on reccomendations given in this thread:
www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=504567
This model is the closest I could find to the stuff I'd like to do in a lappy.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
There's a demo on the steam store, give a shot. I'm not a big TD fan but I've sunk 25 hrs into it, it's pretty addictive.

How can I make this more clear? I fucking hate the shit out of the genre, why are you recommending another game from said genre to me?

ieXDO44RydDxT.gif

Isaccard

I got Omerta instead (before everyone knew it was lame) and now I am SALTY AS FUCK about missing the best kart racer since CTR. I have actually been so salty and burned by the continual reminder of it in the PC scene that I abandoned playing my PC games and started playing my old PS1 games. SotN, Parasite Eve, DQ7, many others. I have a fuckton of trusted classics here to comfort me.

If at least one side of Omerta was substantial I wouldn't have been so bothered. If the strategy side was Tropico level or if the tactical side was Jagged Alliance level, that would be okay. But instead we get some sort of cardboard cutout of the real deal on both ends and it doesn't seem like merely choosing the lesser game, but like wasting money. Wasting money isn't even something that would bother me much, but when it coincides with missing the opportunity to play SRT, yes, I am very burned.

You dun fucked up, Kalypso. I hope you are happy that what you got out of me this one time is the last you will ever get.

I got toy soldiers because some xboxen said it was good. Why I listened to that nonsense I'll never know. What a flaming turdsteak that game is.

I'm not intentionally buying another TD game. Toy Soldiers came with the pack and I didn't think to look into it before activating it.

I don't understand how anyone can fail to look into/research a game first before buying/activating.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I don't understand how anyone can fail to look into/research a game first before buying/activating.

It was part of a pack and I trusted Microsoft not to fuck me over.

As far as the pack goes:
-Mark of the Ninja: Completed
-Deadlight: Completed
-Insanely Twist Shadow Planet: Completed
-Toy Soldiers + Both DLC: Completed
-Iron Brigade: In Progress/Co-op

Not bad.

dreamfall

I don't know what is going on- Far Cry 3 keeps crashing for me. My 680 is going crazy, and I'm not doing anything fancy, no inspector, no downsampling, no MSAA, nada.

Sigh.

I keep trying to get into this game, and technical issues and repetition start killing any motivation. 10 hours later, and I wonder what I've been doing.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I don't know what is going on- Far Cry 3 keeps crashing for me. My 680 is going crazy, and I'm not doing anything fancy, no inspector, no downsampling, no MSAA, nada.

Sigh.

I keep trying to get into this game, and technical issues and repetition start killing any motivation. 10 hours later, and I wonder what I've been doing.

Try updating your drivers?

oipic

They're a wacky bunch, Valve - they just bestowed upon my account not 5, not 10, but precisely 23 Dota 2 invites.

I know there's a thread somewhere for this, and you all have inventories bulging with them already, but y'know, send me a PM or something if you need one (or five).

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Don't judge me! The pre-release reports on the game were unanimously the opposite of post-release. Not just mainstream media, I mean even the typically trustworthy guys. And putting that in combination with the fact the developer made Tropico, you'd think it's at least not going to be crap. Plus, I only had enough to get either one with preorder discounts (totaling 40% off) at GMG.

Tizoc

I've been resisting the Deus Ex HR+ML DLC for $7 at gamersgate mainly because I have the game on PS3, and I don't know if I'd want to add to it my PC backlog. I've been resisting since it started X_X.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I just checked- running 310.90, says it is up to date. No problems with other titles, just this :/

Try updating to the 313.96 betas. Until the other day I was on 313.95 and playing AssCreed 3 would occasionally cause a BSOD, but moving to .96 fixed the issue.

dreamfall

Try updating to the 313.96 betas. Until the other day I was on 313.95 and playing AssCreed 3 would occasionally cause a BSOD, but moving to .96 fixed the issue.

Sounds like a plan- going to try the new beta driver and see what's what! Didn't realize something new had dropped, thanks for the suggestion!

Ledsen

I'll see if the shop that has that model has Alienware as well, but that's the only model out of the 4 I'm looking for that I found (no Lenovo Y580 anywhere in this country wtf...)

Well I'm going based on reccomendations given in this thread:
www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=504567
This model is the closest I could find to the stuff I'd like to do in a lappy.

Have you considered a desktop mini-itx solution? It will be cheaper, perform MUCH better and still be super portable. You are sacrificing an insane amount of graphics power to get a laptop, so you should think really hard about if it's worth it. A scenario where you absolutely would need a gaming laptop instead of a desktop is if you travel a lot, game in hotels etc. If you've gaming at home and moving it around the house, mini-itx is it.

Tizoc

Have you considered a desktop mini-itx solution? It will be cheaper, perform MUCH better and still be super portable. You are sacrificing an insane amount of graphics power to get a laptop, so you should think really hard about if it's worth it. A scenario where you absolutely would need a gaming laptop instead of a desktop is if you travel a lot, game in hotels etc. If you've gaming at home and moving it around the house, mini-itx is it.

Hmm I'll look into that, this is the first I've heard of Mini=ITX so I'll ask the retailer if they have them.

Ledsen

Hmm I'll look into that, this is the first I've heard of Mini=ITX so I'll ask the retailer if they have them.

Mkenyon made a little guide, check it out here:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=42660100&postcount=195

It's a few months old, but should still serve for the most part. The builds in that guide are miles above a laptop in performance.
Ask the VERY helpful guys in the PC-thread and they will help you build a system on your budget and with your demands. You can pay someone to put it together if you've uncomfortable building it (which is very easy though).

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=509570

Tizoc

Mkenyon made a little guide, check it out here:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=42660100&postcount=195

It's a few months old, but should still serve for the most part. The builds in that guide are miles above a laptop in performance.
Ask the VERY helpful guys in the PC-thread and they will help you build a system on your budget and with your demands. You can pay someone to put it together if you've uncomfortable building it (which is very easy though).

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=509570

Thanks for the links, I'll make a note of them when I check the retailer in a few days. My target price is between $750-1000.

Rainy Dog

Wasn't sure where to ask this as it's probably more of a damn Uplay problem than Steam, but hopefully someone in here can help...

Basically, I can't seem to launch Driver: San Francisco at all. Steam opens Uplay when I launch the game but Uplay just displays my Uplay only games Far Cry 3 and Ghost Recon FS, there's no sign of Driver at all.

I'm guessing Steam+Uplay games require their own exclusive Uplay launcher and not the default Uplay program installed on my system? For example, when Steam Assassins Creed 2 opens Uplay, AC2 is the only game shown which I'm guessing Driver should be like...

Cheers in advance for any help anyway... Two launching clients for one game is ridiculous, at least Origin games are just exclusive to that.

Dr Dogg

Toy Soldiers is further proof of Tower Defense being the worst genre ever created.

I'm totally with you on that one. I swear TD games are my nemesis. Not only do they pretty much all follow the same formula they are, by design to be the slowest, least free flowing and mind numbing experiences known to man. To think I used to get stressed waiting in stealth games (because for whatever reasons game design dictates stealth implies waiting). Only meaningful time (and I say that begrudgingly) I've lost to the genre is with Defense Grid and Anomaly Warzone which despite mixing it up by pitting you as the invading force it's even fucking slower.

I love tower defense...on my phone or ipad. Something like Sentinel 3 is a great way to kill a lot of time.

I think playing them on PC sucks though...well at least all the steam ones do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom