• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
TimeShift needs to be a Daily. Just look at that awful discount history. (The "Gearbox only developed the MP portion of Aliens: CM" thread reminded me that I don't have it.)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So what are all of the management games in Steam that are worth playing? It includes simulation and stuff.

1-D_FTW

I guess I've just become the ultimate graphic whore then. I know it's cool to hate on stereo 3D, but if you don't wear glasses, have properly functioning eyes (to prevent physical issues), and are playing on PC where resolution and framerate (must) aren't crippled, it just makes mono 3D look like shit. Deadlight was especially terrible for me. I felt like I was playing with static screens and a clunkily animated character.

Even after I quit Deadlight, I loaded up From Dust (since I was already playing 2D on my HDTV). For a 2D game it looks very good, but still, mono 3D feels a bit like playing FMV based games from the 90s. Such a disconnect when games are broken and you have to go back to it.

Aaron

TimeShift needs to be a Daily. Just look at that awful discount history. (The "Gearbox only developed the MP portion of Aliens: CM" thread reminded me that I don't have it.)
That is actually a decent single player game, even though it has nothing to do with Timegate Studios. It was made by Saber Interactive, iirc.

JaseC

That is actually a decent single player game, even though it has nothing to do with Timegate Studios. It was made by Saber Interactive, iirc.

It was, but reading TimeGate Studios reignited a dormant synapse and I eventually remembered that TimeShift is something I've been meaning to buy. The game wasn't even in my "Steam stuff I need to buy" text file that I've been maintaining since before last year's Summer Sale.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
It was, but reading TimeGate Studios reignited a dormant synapse and I eventually remembered that TimeShift is something I've been meaning to buy. The game wasn't even in my "Steam stuff I need to buy" text file that I've been maintaining since before last year's Summer Sale.

That text file must be very light amirite

Ledsen

Couldn't you just use the Steam catalogue directly as a "games to buy" list, since it will let you know if you already own a particular game? A sort of "games left until all games owned" list.

JaseC

Couldn't you just use the Steam catalogue directly as a "games to buy" list, since it will let you know if you already own a particular game? A sort of "games left until all games owned" list.

I could, but to do that now would mean visiting the pages of dozens upon dozens of games/DLC and adding them to my wishlist. It's far easier to just throw a name in a text file.

Edit: I misread your post, haha. Enhanced Steam (Chrome/Firefox add-on) essentially does just that since it highlights outside of the product pages games you already own, but it's not exactly perfect (some items are erroneously flagged as unowned, such as SFxT's 12 Characters DLC, and further filtering search results breaks it).

I like how everyone is implicitly assuming that the linux hat is going to have as insane a trading value as the earbuds. Dat speculation bubbble/economic hoo hah

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I like how everyone is implicitly assuming that the linux hat is going to have as insane a trading value as the earbuds. Dat speculation bubbble/economic hoo hah

I dunno man, apparently you have to consult some astrological charts to get a working Linux install.

Thankfully my birth stars have been aligned every time I've installed Ubuntu and I've never had a problem.

HoosTrax

Well I'm banking on people being intimidated by the thought of installing Linux compared to just turning on a Mac to drive up the perceived rarity.

JaseC

Publisher: Activision

won't be happening any time soon

I'm looking forward to begrudgingly purchasing it at 25% off in ~5 months. Still, at least it'll be discounted, unlike the Kingdoms of Amalur DLC I purchased at full price (and still haven't played).

Well I'm banking on people being intimidated by the thought of installing Linux compared to just turning on a Mac to drive up the perceived rarity.

It will also probably only be valuable within a couple of weeks of being available, I plan on getting rid of it fast.

I've been really lucky and TF2 launches with zero issues whatsoever for me, on an integrated motherboard graphics chip with the gallium driver.

Unlike most here, I didn't install Mint just for the hat, on the contrary.

The stars just aligned :).

The whole reason the earbuds are worth something is because there was a large number but a limited supply, so it became a currency, of sorts. Why do you think they'll be worth more earlier rather than later? Betting on people overestimating the eventual value of these?

Well I just assumed that all you have to do is launch it in Linux to get it and it's open forever? Or is it only during the sale or whatever. If it's open forever I mean there's the reason, I guess I'm wrong though :p.

Danj

How to install Ubuntu on your PC: easy way on how to do it.

[...]detailed instructions of installing Ubuntu[...]

If you have a proper USB hard drive (I have a 500GB one I borrowed from work) is it possible to do this thing in the "Try it on your USB drive" mode or something? I don't want to touch the main hard drive on my gaming machine, and I have this perfectly good 500GB USB drive which is not currently being used for anything that I borrowed from work, can I not just install it on that and avoid all this shrinking and GRUB removal and whatnot?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Just for the record, I've had more problems installing Windows than I've ever had installing Ubuntu Linux (the Gentoo/Arch installs I tinkered with years ago don't count towards this).

For all Canonical's recent misteps, they've done wonders with the install process. As long as you pay attention, there is seriously no way for you to mess it up.

esai

I just realized I have an empty 320gb hd sitting in my computer. Time to get me my hat.

Maybe over the weekend.

Danj

Just for the record, I've had more problems installing Windows than I've ever had installing Ubuntu Linux (the Gentoo/Arch installs I tinkered with years ago don't count towards this).

For all Canonical's recent misteps, they've done wonders with the install process. As long as you pay attention, there is seriously no way for you to mess it up.

I've installed Ubuntu fairly recently (on a Linux box at my parents' house at Christmas); I'm fine with it, I just want to check I can install it to a USB spinning-platters hard drive without touching anything else on my gaming PC.

1-D_FTW

I feel so sad when I think about how awesome Trine was, and then I see that ugly monstrosity that Splot is. It would have been graphically simple even for a GBA game:(

FYC

Banned
Oh sweet, I have just enough left in my Steam wallet left for Awesomenauts. Looks awesome.

Maybe I should actually learn to play DOTA2 before I get into another MOBA though.

So there's almost an interesting puzzle/dungeon in Dragonborn but it's kind of defeated by how Bethesda structures/designs quests and dungeons. At one point in the main quest you enter the ruins of a flooded Dwemer city, the goal being to use Dwemer machinery within the city to raise and lower the water. Now that could have been an interesting puzzle/dungeon if not for the fact you're basically following a linear path of quest markers through the city and simply pressing e at various pedestals. There's literally no thought required, it isn't a puzzle, you just walk along a linear path and a press button at interaction points. You cannot fail.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I played Fable 2 after playing 3 and I think I preferred 3. That might be because 2 looks like dogshit on 360 and 3 can actually look quite nice on PC with some proper tweaking.

Whooter

I'm writing an email to steam support aswe speak to have both games removed from my account and my HDD remotely wiped.

I'm going even one better, and have scheduled myself for electro-shock therapy to have all my fond memories of playing the game erased.

It's a sad day...

Yaska

The Witcher 2 seems daunting with Mouse + KB. Should push forward?

The game is perfectly playable with kb+m, personally found it much easier to play with that setup compared to controller. So go forward! Do note that this is my preference tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom