• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneB

Anyone want to trade ICQ numbers or visit my Geocities homepage?

I still remember my ICQ number, and that damn 'uh oh!' sound that my friend left enabled and it drove me crazy when I was over to his house.

And I still have music hosted on an old tripod site. Ah memories.

UymxZyM.gif

Here we come, Gaming Community

Zizbuka

Banned
Anyone have an extra Fallout: New Vegas to trade? My son wants it badly, and he's tired of waiting for it to go on sale. I have these to trade.

Witcher Enhanced Edition Director's Cut
Vampire Masquerade Bloodlines
STALKER Clear Sky
Beat Hazard Complete
Demigod
Nuclear Dawn

Please PM, and thanks.

1-D_FTW

It might be easy if you are like Mensa-tier or something, but it just looks like rocket science mixed with quantum theory to me bro.

These items are gonna be rare because Linux is almost impossible to get running and *literally* no one uses it.

What have you just done to me. Now I suddenly want this stupid doo-dad.

Can people farm these? Like just create a bunch of Steam accounts, log into TF2 using them, and collect them for future usage? It kills my incentive if they're going to be common items because of this.

Relax.MX

Anyone have an extra Fallout: New Vegas to trade? My son wants it badly, and he's tired of waiting for it to go on sale. I have these to trade.

Witcher Enhanced Edition Director's Cut
Vampire Masquerade Bloodlines
STALKER Clear Sky
Beat Hazard Complete
Demigod
Nuclear Dawn

Please PM, and thanks.

Go to gaming community forum and look to the appropriate thread

drizzle

Axel Hertz
What have you just done to me. Now I suddenly want this stupid doo-dad.

Can people farm these? Like just create a bunch of Steam accounts, log into TF2 using them, and collect them for future usage? It kills my incentive if they're going to be common items because of this.

Technically, you can.

Realistically, you'd have to assign a payment method and spend at least 5 dollars per account (to make it a confirmed account from which you can trade items).

It's doable, but at what cost?

1-D_FTW

Technically, you can.

Realistically, you'd have to assign a payment method and spend at least 5 dollars per account (to make it a confirmed account from which you can trade items).

Ah. I didn't realize those were the requirements. Maybe I will try and tie one to my account. Just for the heck of it.

HoosTrax

Technically, you can.

Are you sure that's accurate? My memory might be fuzzy, but I think I've seen things in the Mann Co store for $0.99. There is no set amount of money you have to pay to convert a free account to a premium account (eligible to get cosmetic items) -- you just need to make a single purchase of any amount from Mann Co.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Are you sure that's accurate? My memory might be fuzzy, but I think I've seen things in the Mann Co store for $0.99. There is no set amount of money you have to pay to convert a free account to a premium account (eligible to get cosmetic items) -- you just need to make a single purchase of any amount from Mann Co.

To convert your Free TF2 account to a premium account, you have to buy an item from the Mann CO Store.

If you want to buy things from the Mann CO store, you have to add funds to your wallet.

You can't add less than 5 bucks to your wallet.

Thus, you have to spend at least 5 bucks.

Unless there's a way (which I'm not aware of and would like to know more) to pay for items on the Mann CO store directly through a Credit Card, without having to have Steam Wallet funds

HoosTrax

To convert your Free TF2 account, you have to buy an item from the Mann CO Store.

If you want to buy things from the Mann CO store, you have to add funds to your wallet.

You can't add less than 5 bucks to your wallet.

Thus, you have to spend at least 5 bucks.

Unless there's a way I'm not aware to buy stuff directly from the mann co store.
Ah, hadn't thought about that little issue.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Ah, hadn't thought about that little issue.

Don't get me wrong: I don't think not having a Premium Account will prevent you from getting a hat if you play on Linux (would be a dick move by Valve towards all the free players, I think), you just won't be able to trade it for anything.

MRORANGE

How to install Ubuntu on your PC: easy way on how to do it.

1. Go to start, type in Computer Management
2. Drop down to Disk Management in that window
3. Select your active drive (one with windows installed), right click and select "Shrink Volume"
4. Shrink the drive to 25GB or 25600mb
5. Go to Ubuntu and download the 32bit version of 12.10
6. You can either burn to CD or make a bootable USB, I went for USB, download Pen Drive Linux's USB Installer
7. Open the app, select your ISO of Ubuntu and the USB drive you want to install too.
8. In the persistent file size option, you can set it to any size (4096mb max) if you want to try out Steam on the USB drive before installing Ubuntu.
9. Once completed restart your computer, remember to set the Bios to boot from USB!
10. If everything has worked you can boot into Ubuntu, depending on your hardware you may have no internet connection from WLAN, I reccomend a LAN cable.
11. Once you are in you have two choices, Install Ubuntu or try it out on your USB drive - click on install
12. Go through the basic setup options, Ubunut is smart enough to detect that 25gb space you made and will install it on that.
13. Once completed restart your pc and remove the USB drive from the computer.
14. Boot into Ubuntu and login, you will realize that you have this purple screen at start-up, we will fix this later.
15. Launch Firefox and go to the steam website and download the client.
16. Open the downloaded file and click install, it might ask you for your password, go ahead.
17. Once the debian package of ubuntu has installed you will have a steam icon on your desktop, click it and let it update.
18. Steam might download some packages that are missing in the terminal window, agree ('y') and type in your password.
19. Login into steam and download TF2!
20. I recommend click on the navigation bar at the top which says steam and search for video drivers while installing TF2. I also recommend doing any software updates that Ubuntu wants to carry out.
21. Once installed, launch TF2 and pray to Gaben you can get past the Valve logo screen.

How to get rid of the Ubuntu bootloader at start-up:

1. Turn on the computer and select Windows.
2. Login and download EasyBCD 2.
3. Launch the program and go to Manage Bootloader, select 'Re-install the Windows Vista/7 Booatloader' and then click on 'Write MBR'
4. Click on Add/Remove Entries and see if Windows and Ubuntu are listed, if Ubuntu is not there add and Entry under Linux
5. For Type select : GRUB 2, Name: what ever you want: 'Ubuntu' and for device: select the Linux partition.
6. Click on the Save button and exit program, restart your PC to see if it has worked.

You have the hat, how to remove Ubuntu:

1. Go to start, type in Computer Management.
2. Drop down to Disk Management in that window.
3. Delete the 25gb partition that you used for Ubuntu. (including the swap partition!)
4. Select your Windows drive, right click and click 'extend partition'.
5. Select the size you want to reclaim.
6. Launch EasyBCD 2
7. Click on Add/Remove Entries and remove Ubuntu from the list.
8. Save and restart the PC, your computer will directly boot into Windows now and will have no trace of Ubuntu.

1-D_FTW

Glad I got Deadlight in the Mark of the Ninja amazon bundle. Would have been annoyed had I spent money during the Holiday sale. Thanks, MS, for not having 75 percent off on it. *delete*

Don't get me wrong: I don't think not having a Premium Account will prevent you from getting a hat if you play on Linux (would be a dick move by Valve towards all the free players, I think), you just won't be able to trade it for anything.

The other small detail is that Steam Wallet funds are taken out first when buying Steam games, so you can top up your wallet by $5, spend $1 to convert your TF2 into Premium, and then get a $4 discount on your next Steam game.

kurahador

Urghh...The Witcher EE sure is buggy. I'm not really far into the first chapter and already encountered plenty of crashes, quest bug, items, etc....

dreamfall

Trying to decide whether or not to buy GRID for $10 on Gamersgate. Steam, but GFWL, and Steamprices is saying it has gone for way lower...

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Dudlight.

The hilariously bad voice acting was the highlight of the game for me.

Cinematic. lol.

Joe Molotov

Haha, yeah the VA and the plot were pretty hilarious. Also, there was some really weird stuff in the extras, like one note that implied that Kennedy was a coward for not escalating the Cuban Missile Crisis and that was the cause somehow for the zombie outbreak.

lol wut?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Urghh...The Witcher EE sure is buggy. I'm not really far into the first chapter and already encountered plenty of crashes, quest bug, items, etc....
I can't get more than 40 minutes of gameplay before experiencing a crash to desktop on that game. I resorted to quicksave every 10 seconds.

I should go back to it someday, as it is a good game that for reasons unknown I stopped playing 2 months ago.

jediyoshi

Dudlight.

The hilariously bad voice acting was the highlight of the game for me.

Cinematic. lol.

The writing deserves blame too, it drones on forever in cutscenes with people constantly reiterating what they've just said and by the end of each one the story's usually barely progressed enough to justify it. Same with the ingame VO which was practically worse since it usually sucks up a bunch of the immersion.

The part where some hockey rink was supposed to be a significant location in seattle was pretty amazing as well.

xJavonta

Banned
Don't know if this has been posted yet, and it's not Steam related but PC game related so I figured this would be a decent place to put it.

Slender: The Arrival is now available for preorder on their site at 50% of the launch price. Comes with instant access to the beta.

esai

Don't know if this has been posted yet, and it's not Steam related but PC game related so I figured this would be a decent place to put it.

Slender: The Arrival is now available for preorder on their site at 50% of the launch price. Comes with instant access to the beta.

I want to buy it, but I know I'll never play it. but it IS 50% off. hmmmm

Cheers. Ordered it cause I loved playing the first one even though it scared the shit out of me. Someone should make a thread!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

wwm0nkey made a thread about this yesterday. I'm tempted but since a Steam release is still up in the air I think I'll hold off.

Salsa

Deadlight was so critiziced that I ended up enjoying it quite a bit

storytelling/voice acting was beyond terrible. And the main character saying everything he did/needed to do out loud was cringe worthy, but the gameplay itself wasnt that bad. It was pretty too.

I already asked yesterday, but I try again.

Is there any good sale for DMC? I remember it was about 12€ two weeks ago. Any similar sale for it now?

Wok

I have received three coupons. They are good until Feb 18, 2013. Maybe you can stack them with the discounts of the Linux sale.

50% off Splice

50% off Dejobaan Complete Pack:

50% off The Wonderful End of the World:

Quote to see.

There is a taste of Quantum Conundrum in the screenshots of The Witness. The pink trees are fluffy. And these yellow wires and blue panels...

The management of lights is clearly wrong.

dreamfall

I ended up snagging quite a few games from GG's Codemasters catalogue; it would seem most of Cm's forgotten titles are no longer discounted beyond 33%.

Hmm- the horrors of Damnation could be pretty tempting! That was an amazing set of links you provided there!

I shouldn't do this... but I must!

Edit: Full disclosure, absolutely love some pretty terrible games...

1-D_FTW

What was your issue?

I guess I just wasn't in the mood for an ugly run from left-to-right side of screen game. The animation also put me off. It's one thing to play these type of games in the past, but it just felt like something from the early 90s in that department. All of which would not have been a big issue, but the game just completely failed to capture my imagination. And it was simplistic. Fittingly, when I hit the start button to quit, it also hard-locked my computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom