• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a pity Fable 2 didn't show up alongside Halo 3 in the registry. Fable: TLC > Fable 2 > Fable 3, after all.

Just pick up the Franchise Pack. You're effectively getting the original for $1.25. Never mind, I'm blind!

So hold on a second. Are we taking seriously Halo 3 for Steam thing? Don't play with what little emotions i have
if lust can be consider an emotion that is.

Leonsito

Hi guys, I have a problem, a friend gifted me Dota 2, when I accepted the gift Steam got stuck in a dialog box saying something about checking for license updates or something like that, after an hour I cancelled that dialog box and my game wasn't in the library, I went to accept the gift again (in the email received) and it said that the gift was already redeemed :(

I went to my purchase history and the last thing showing was... "Steam" and said it was a gift, wtf?

Also, I went to the Dota 2 page in the store and it says that I already have Dota 2, and the green strip with a button to play it, but that page was like that for months, I assume it's just the spectator client...

Can anyone give me a clue?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So hold on a second. Are we taking seriously Halo 3 for Steam thing? Don't play with what little emotions i have
if lust can be consider an emotion that is.

Wok recently pointed out that The Bridge has the very same app id as mentioned in the listing, and the Halo 3 Community Hub still appears in search results. Until Microsoft formally announces a release, though, nothing is set in stone (see: Squeenix blocking the Steam release of Final Fantasy VII to sell the game on its own store).

My ladyfriend has been considering buying The Ship - I was wondering if anyone here happened to have a gift copy left over? I can trade for the original Flatout.

Beat Dragonborn's main questline and I don't think I'll bother with any of the side quests. Solsthiem is a decent size and scope, easily feels on par with Fallout 3's Point Lookout and out of the two DLC's released thus far (Hearthfire simply does not count), Dragonborn is the better of the two but in the end it's still kind of disappointing. At least Dragonborn doesn't feel like a rip off like Dawnguard did (they asked 10$ too much for that DLC) but I'm glad I bought the DLC with TF2 hat money and not my own. Dragoborn is disappointing the same way Skyrim is, it's content tourism not really an rpg. If you dug vanilla Skyrim and aren't burnt out on it, you might like Dragonborn. I'd honestly recommend waiting for a sale to buy this DLC.

The Morrowind fan service is pretty light and superficial, once you push beyond Raveonrock and the surrounding area on the south-west part of Solsthiem it's just more of super barren part of Skyrim. The dungeon elements and most of Solsthiem's landscape are just recycled assets from Skyrim. If you've delved one Draguar filled dungeon or Dwemer ruin in Skyrim, you've pretty much seen most of what Solsthiem has to offer. In that regard Dawnguard and Dragonborn are pretty similar but at least Dragoborn takes place in a new area whereas Dawnguard is just grafted on to Skyrim vanilla. The only real unique elements in Solsthiem are when the player enters the lovecraftian realms of the daedric lord of knowledge but there's only a few jaunts into this realm in the main questline. I guess Dragonborn is pretty similar to Dawnguard in terms of the limited amount of unique locations added as well.

Dragon riding--you gain a new shout pretty late in Dragonborn which allows you to tame and then ride dragons--is awful. You have no direct control over the dragon. You can target an enemy, tell the dragon to attack it and then you just passively sit and watch it wheel around in the air awkwardly and slowly kill the thing you've instructed it to. It would be faster to get off the dragon and hit the enemy with a sword. It feels more like an awkward user made mod than a genuine feature in a studio made game.

The story of the main questline is interesting enough to merit a playthrough but it's more linear (follow the quest markers) unfailable content tourism than an actual rpg, which is a criticism you could essentially level at Skyrim as a whole, I guess.

Like Dawnguard before it, I would recommend waiting for a sale before buying Dragonborn.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Beat Dragonborn's main questline and I don't think I'll bother with any of the side quests. Solsthiem is a decent size and scope, easily feels on par with Fallout 3's Point Lookout and out of the two DLC's released thus far (Hearthfire simply does not count), Dragonborn is the better of the two but in the end it's still kind of disappointing. At least Dragonborn doesn't feel like a rip off like Dawnguard did (they asked 10$ too much for that DLC) but I'm glad I bought the DLC with TF2 hat money and not my own. Dragoborn is disappointing the same way Skyrim is, it's content tourism not really an rpg. If you dug vanilla Skyrim and aren't burnt out on it, you might like Dragonborn. I'd honestly recommend waiting for a sale to buy this DLC.

The Morrowind fan service is pretty light and superficial, once you push beyond Raveonrock and the surrounding area on the south-west part of Solsthiem it's just more of super barren part of Skyrim. The dungeon elements and most of Solsthiem's landscape are just recycled assets from Skyrim. If you've delved one Draguar filled dungeon or Dwemer ruin in Skyrim, you've pretty much seen most of what Solsthiem has to offer. In that regard Dawnguard and Dragonborn are pretty similar but at least Dragoborn takes place in a new area whereas Dawnguard is just grafted on to Skyrim vanilla. The only real unique elements in Solsthiem are when the player enters the lovecraftian realms of the daedric lord of knowledge but there's only a few jaunts into this realm in the main questline. I guess Dragonborn is pretty similar to Dawnguard in terms of the limited amount of unique locations added as well.

Dragon riding--you gain a new shout pretty late in Dragonborn which allows you to tame and then ride dragons--is awful. You have no direct control over the dragon. You can target an enemy, tell the dragon to attack it and then you just passively sit and watch it wheel around in the air awkwardly and slowly kill the thing you've instructed it to. It would be faster to get off the dragon and hit the enemy with a sword. It feels more like an awkward user made mod than a genuine feature in a studio made game.

The story of the main questline is interesting enough to merit a playthrough but it's more linear (follow the quest markers) unfailable content tourism than an actual rpg, which is a criticism you could essentially level at Skyrim as a whole, I guess.

Like Dawnguard before it, I would recommend waiting for a sale before buying Dragonborn.

Thanks for writing this up. I finally just cracked Skyrim open the other week and was a bit tempted to pick it up with some of my hat money to bring the price down, but this confirmed picking it up down the road would be the best approach for me.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Personally I rank Fable 3 amongst the worst games I've ever played. It's astonishingly bad in every conceivable metric.

def sim

I don't think it's a bad game, though it's the one that made me give up on Fable. A largely uninteresting story, which they don't take too seriously, and the same tired mechanics burnt me out.

Thanks for writing this up. I finally just cracked Skyrim open the other week and was a bit tempted to pick it up with some of my hat money to bring the price down, but this confirmed picking it up down the road would be the best approach for me.

If you're just starting Skyrim, I dunno, it might be worthwhile to pick up Dawnguard or Dragonborn if you can get both discounted, either through a sale or hat moneyz. While Dawnguard is just bolted on to Skyrim vanilla it does add vampire and werewolf skill trees which are useful if you plan playing as either.

iavi

What are the earbuds worth? I've been getting trader request after trader request for the longest time, and the only thing I have in my whole Steam inventory is those earbuds. Got em day one.

And it's funny because, for the longest time, I thought the traders were trippin', cause it says the earbuds are non-tradeable in the inventory page. I've just learned about gift-wrap...

DocSeuss

Wow. Elaborate please?

I'm genuinely curious, never played the game, but I liked Fable 2

I personally thought it had the most interesting story of the three. Better AI too. It was a step back in some regards (would have liked better muscle building, for instance, rather than none at all), but overall, I really liked it. Funny as hell, too.

Keys are purchased from the Mann Co. store (item store that was added when TF2 went free to play) which are used to open Mann Co. series crates that you get as random drops while playing TF2. Each crate series contains a list of potential strange weapon, parts, hats or an unusual hat you can get if you open a Mann Co. crate. The keys cost 2.50$ each.

Keys, along with metal you get from crafting weapons, are the currency in weirdo trade economy that's developed around the items and hats in TF2. Keys are really only of value to you if you play TF2.

You can try an external site, like TF2 Outpost, to sell the item for money but then you are at risk of being scammed. There are also sites that track the reputation of traders that use sites like Outpost that out scammers but it's starting to get to get murky and beyond my realm of experience.

Kurdel

Banned
The people posing as women who played 400 hours of TF2 sending me friend requests is super annoying.

I will hold on to the buds though, seeing they wil only go up in value as time goes by.

Wok

The danger, if you're intent on extracting maximum value from your geegaw, is that TF2's community will eventually wane.

Eventually as in when Half Life 3 is released.

jBy4Bea.png

That twenty thousand fewer players at peak than when I last checked. Seems like the bump going free to play provided the overall player base has subsided.

I'm not implying there's going to be some immediate and precipitous drop in the player base for TF2. I'm simply stating the fewer people that play means fewer people will potentially value your geegaw and/or doodad.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
The hatconomy's already had a crash or two. It's very unstable and mostly everything goes for peanuts and pennies these days. I finally sold off my earbuds a few weeks ago and they're really the only thing I had that was worth more than a buck twenty five. Fuck all that though, ain't nobody got time for that.

jediyoshi

I'm not implying there's going to be some immediate and precipitous drop in the player base for TF2. I'm simply stating the fewer people that play means fewer people will potentially value your geegaw and/or doodad.

I think that's a given, but the implication that TF2's player base is going anywhere anytime soon is pretty silly. 1.6 could've had a hat economy and probably still be profitable today.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
What does the Collector's Edition of Trine 2 give you? I only have regular Trine 2.
Nevermind, just OST and Commentary/artbook stuff.

I'm thinking about buying the Goblin Menace DLC, since it's so cheap.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Wow. Elaborate please?

- The combat is comically easy and simplified to the point of being insulting
- The interface is literally the worst ever designed
- The story is awful and uninteresting
- The world is bland, exploring is a chore
- The leveling system is ridiculous and stupid
- The PC port is an absolute god damned mess

It does *nothing* well. Nothing. It's absolutely abysmal. For reference I really liked Fable 1 and thought Fable 2 was ok.

Wow. Elaborate please?

If you enjoyed Fable 2 you'll probably like 3, despite the 'dumbing down' of specific features. It features perhaps the most interesting narrative sequence in a Fable game, despite the overarching plots flaws.

Not sure what's worse, the game or the guy in the video.
Definitely the 'personality' in the video.

Khaz

Steam is rolling out new weekly sales, Flatout franchise 75% off and other things. Do not buy the complete pack though, Flatout 3 is a horrible mess.

yep, go with ultimate carnage and/or 2. it's essentally the same game, with UC being the fanciest (revamped for X360 at the time) and more people online and 2 having the best soundtrack and loads of mods.

This is what bothers me with Steam going Linux. I spend most of my time on Linux I'm happy about Steam coming, but I know Flatout is one of these game I come back to once in a while and I know it will never be ported over. I hope someday a native linux game will make me feel about Flatout how I feel now about Destruction Derby: good old superseded game.

Has anyone here picked up Retrovirus? It's a Descent-like that was recently released on Steam doesn't seem to have attracted much attention. I'm watching the WTF is... but it's from a press alpha.

Doopliss

Just want to post a recommendation for Awesomenauts. I still have loads of fun with this game. I never got too far in my attempts at other MOBAs, but Awesomenauts captures (I imagine) a lot of what's great about them and streamlines it so it's way less intimidating. It's also fun right from the start, with its flashy special abilities and responsive platforming mechanics (which are different for every character). Even when things don't go well for my team I'm still usually having a good time.

I don't think the community is massive but I haven't had any trouble finding games. You sometimes have games where a spot or two are filled by bots, but they're actually fairly decent
and, in the lower leagues, possibly more effective than a real player!
The support by Ronimo has been really good. There have been frequent balance patches, as well as improvements made to matchmaking and leaderboards. We've been given 4 new 'nauts since PC launch (or 6 more than the original 6 in the console version), and a teaser was just released for the next new character a couple of days ago. Those are free updates - there is paid DLC but it's just alternate costumes for the characters.

So yeah, definitely worth trying it out at this price.

Just going to post the trailer here too since it's awesome:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B53Z40u9DnE

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Keys are purchased from the Mann Co. store (item store that was added when TF2 went free to play) which are used to open Mann Co. series crates that you get as random drops while playing TF2. Each crate series contains a list of potential strange weapon, parts, hats or an unusual hat you can get if you open a Mann Co. crate. The keys cost 2.50$ each.

Keys, along with metal you get from crafting weapons, are the currency in weirdo trade economy that's developed around the items and hats in TF2. Keys are really only of value to you if you play TF2.

You can try an external site, like TF2 Outpost, to sell the item for money but then you are at risk of being scammed. There are also sites that track the reputation of traders that use sites like Outpost that out scammers but it's starting to get to get murky and beyond my realm of experience.
I didn't know you needed a Ph.D in economics just to start playing TF2.

Garry, what have you done?

According to the tf2 spreadsheet, buds currently go for 27-28 keys. That's 70$.
No one uses store value for keys. Their value is based on "black market" sellers, which, having a look, shows them selling for $1.33. So really, buds are worth around $35 currently.
Just for the record, I've had more problems installing Windows than I've ever had installing Ubuntu Linux (the Gentoo/Arch installs I tinkered with years ago don't count towards this).

For all Canonical's recent misteps, they've done wonders with the install process. As long as you pay attention, there is seriously no way for you to mess it up.
I was paying attention! In a perfect world, you would just run through the installer and be on your way. That's not how it always works though. For instance, the installer wouldn't even start for me to begin with -- I was greeted by a blank screen. A bit of research showed I had to change an option to "nomodeset", that was ok. Once I got through the installation, I had to restart the computer and that's where things got messy. "Scanning and repairing hard drive" or something to that effect popped up. It wiped everything on the drive, so that was interesting. Then, when I got that sorted I was again greeted by a blank screen when trying to boot up. I had to change something in the boot command. I had a fair idea what was causing it this time at least (my video drivers) thus, I was able to get that sorted.

It's not complicated if it works as it should, but sometimes things can go awry for no apparent reason. The same can be said of Windows.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
If you're just starting Skyrim, I dunno, it might be worthwhile to pick up Dawnguard or Dragonborn if you can get both discounted, either through a sale or hat moneyz. While Dawnguard is just bolted on to Skyrim vanilla it does add vampire and werewolf skill trees which are useful if you plan playing as either.

I didn't particularly enjoy the werewolf ability at all so I don't mind waiting. I'll just power through the skill tree in a sitting or two for the achievement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom