• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosTrax

So, Steam update today.

- Reduced CPU usage.
- Increased UI interaction speed.

REJOICE

I hope it actually works, though.
Strange things happen with the beta client if you run a multi-monitor setup and you put the client on the non-primary monitor.

What are the earbuds worth? I've been getting trader request after trader request for the longest time, and the only thing I have in my whole Steam inventory is those earbuds. Got em day one.

And it's funny because, for the longest time, I thought the traders were trippin', cause it says the earbuds are non-tradeable in the inventory page. I've just learned about gift-wrap...

As stated earlier buds are worth about 27-28 keys or $35 on the "black market".
The buds are non-tradable because you are F2P (Free 2 Play) and unfortunately Gift Wraps won't work on F2P accounts.

Regarding Bioshock Infinite, I have Pre-Order Steam Gifts (with Industrial Revolution) available for $42.5.
Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Steam Beta works wonders here, it doesn't freeze up as much and isn't any worse than the stable release so far.
No multi-monitor setup here though.

Blizzard

Banned
Strange things happen with the beta client if you run a multi-monitor setup and you put the client on the non-primary monitor.
I'm gonna guess that they added some sort of GPU interaction then, like what they did with big picture mode. Has anyone checked if GPU usage and/or memory goes up when they are doing things in the updated client?

I seem to remember a media player not rendering properly on one monitor versus the other due to GPU acceleration, for instance.

1-D_FTW

I'm gonna guess that they added some sort of GPU interaction then, like what they did with big picture mode. Has anyone checked if GPU usage and/or memory goes up when they are doing things in the updated client?

I seem to remember a media player not rendering properly on one monitor versus the other due to GPU acceleration, for instance.

Can't imagine they did a whole lot to it. Unless they burnt the client to the ground and came up with something new, doesn't make any sense it would need the resources BPM does.

Blizzard

Banned
Can't imagine they did a whole lot to it. Unless they burnt the client to the ground and came up with something new, doesn't make any sense it would need the resources BPM does.
I don't mean they added heavy GPU usage, I just suspect they may have added some GPU integration given the combination of lowered CPU usage, more responsiveness, and odd multi-monitor issues.

If I recall correctly Internet Explorer, Firefox, and maybe other web browsers have GPU acceleration options for the same sort of reasons (but presumably they did it well enough not to cause multi-monitor problems).

1-D_FTW

I don't mean they added heavy GPU usage, I just suspect they may have added some GPU integration given the combination of lowered CPU usage, more responsiveness, and odd multi-monitor issues.

If I recall correctly Internet Explorer, Firefox, and maybe other web browsers have GPU acceleration options for the same sort of reasons (but presumably they did it well enough not to cause multi-monitor problems).

This is just in the beta, right? I honestly hope they didn't do this. I can't stand this in Firefox. I disable it because it's asinine to make my GPU constantly spike out of idle voltage every time a page loads (especially since a good CPU requires no effort and is much more energy efficient). I'd have preferred they just streamlined and multi-threaded things.

I would actually look myself, but I've had a couple major issues with Steam betas before and would just assume not get back on that train.

Is anyone else having trouble launching steam? Mine keeps opening up to an empty window. I can resize it and the mouse acts like I'm hovering over stuff in the window but it's totally blank. Somehow I managed to get the bottom corner to reveal itself but all the windows and steam news popups are empty.

MD0BESL.jpg

Steam was running fine just a bit ago and I clicked the typical steam update and this happened after restarting it. I've restarted it several times, tried rebooting, deleted the clientregistry.blob thingy and updated flash. Anyone else having this issue?

If you are in the beta, they fixed it today with the update.

1-D_FTW

It's a modern Earthworm Jim but really repetitive. It's good in small doses, a level or so a night should suffice. It has nice art.

This is my stance, although I could play more than a couple levels. But I thoroughly enjoyed the game and would definitely recommend. But if I was a reviewer on a deadline with this game, I would have definitely been salty by the end of it.

KNT-Zero

This is my stance, although I could play more than a couple levels. But I thoroughly enjoyed the game and would definitely recommend. But if I was a reviewer on a deadline with this game, I would have definitely been salty by the end of it.

I played the 360 demo and I liked it...still I dunno if I should dip...

I have some games for trade if anyone is up for it :/

EDIT: List edited, see below

Tizoc

Is SEGA even making some income from all theses sales? V. Chronicles 2 got a price drop this week to $10, and I find their stuff on sale almost every month.

1-D_FTW

I took it off my wishlist when I heard how uneven the game was. And how needlessly difficult and tedius the bosses were. Seems like a good game for the ubercore though.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

KNT-Zero

DAMN IT, Giana and Hell Yeah are on offer today and my funds reaching rock bottom... Anyone up for a trade for anyone of those two??

- Wasteland Angel
- BEEP
- Nikopol: Secrets of the Immortals
- Pixeljunk Eden
- Auditorium
- Avadon, Cogs, Snuggle Truck, and Zen Bound 2
- Swords & Soldiers
- Metro 2033
- Titan Quest
- Red Faction: Armageddon Path to War DLC
- Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War
- Binding of Isaac + Wrath of the Lamb DLC
- Dungeon Defenders + All DLC
- Indie Game the movie
- Sine Mora
- DMC4
- Tiny & big

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I would most certainly pre-order the hell of Brutal Legend.

If I hadn't bought Brutal Legend on the 360 3 months ago and didn't even start playing it.

Because of that, I'll have to wait for AT LEAST 50% off.

Wok

The beta is not available on Steam, but the game has been approved by Valve. We intend, when the final version is up on Steam, to offer keys to everyone who bought the beta.
7 Grand Steps is being released as a beta on the Humble Store. The game is sold for $10 this month, and $15 in five months.
It is an an IGF 2013 Finalist and will therefore be on Steam.

If you guys want to save $1, Giana Sisters will be $4 on GMG (steam key) later today/tomorrow with their -20% voucher.
Thanks for the info!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Do we know for how long is the pre-purchase discount/TF2 bonus is valid?

A friend of mine owes me some money/wants some games I have duplicates of, maybe I can persuade him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom