• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
lisa03.gif

I didn't get to pick!

I'll leave this anecdote: I had a friend who was planing a career in the U.S. Navy. He had been stationed in a number of places in Asia, Europe, and the U.S. Florida was the place that broke him. He left the Navy as soon as his enlistment was up. Again, he was planning to make this his career.

On top of that, the same exact thing happened to his friend who was planning the same thing.

Good luck.

To be fair, it was Jacksonville, which is "the South" as fantasized by foreigners who hate Americans. Sarasota is in the "sweet spot" of Florida, so you'll be fine.

Being a Connecticutan it's in my blood to be a hater.

Connect or Cut. No middle ground.

Yup. Sarasota is pretty nice. And the beach there is pretty gorgeous. Don't let the haters scare you. Although if you're not used to the humidity (not sure if Australia is dry or humid), the first summer can be a bit of a shock until you get used to it.

It's pretty humid in Sydney but a friend of mine (American now living in Sydney) was saying the other day that the humidity in Florida is a whole other ballgame. Thankfully we have aircon at the house, I can handle tropical weather as long as I get some sleep at night.

To be fair, it was Jacksonville, which is "the South" as fantasized by foreigners who hate Americans. Sarasota is in the "sweet spot" of Florida, so you'll be fine.

Haha that's what I'm hoping. Although it's pretty hilarious to tell people here that I'm moving to the deep south, then start humming Dueling Banjos with a wistful twinkle in my eye.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
People don't even play games here. I had like one friend in highschool who got a wii and another who got a ps3. I had to come to gaf to find some steamers.
Here in Argentina lots of people play games, but up until PS3 came out, everything was pirated. In fact I had several friends laugh at me when I told them how glad I was of discovering the magic of Steam (and Amazon and GMG) sales, saying that I should just torrent those games instead.

Then I had the final laugh when one of those friends confessed that his version of Hotline Miami (downloaded in a non-legit way) looked far worse than mine (bought on Steam), and the levels had less decoration in them.

Oh, and congrats JJ Bongs on lil' Jimmy. Hope he becomes a PC gamer games hoarder like all of us!

Blizzard

Banned
Deus Ex Collection is currently $11.24, how good are the games? I didn't have any previous contact with the franchise, I'm going to buy for sure, but I wanna know what to expect from these games.
The original has dated graphics but I think it's generally regarded as a classic with relatively open gameplay and choices.

Invisible War is generally regarded as somewhere between mediocre and terrible.

I think Human Revolution is generally regarded as surprisingly decent. Maybe not the most amazing game ever, but still competent.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Human Revolution is fucking sweet and a terrific experience on hard + stealth. Anyone who complains about the bosses is bad at games and has trouble accepting it.

FPS/RPG/Stealth

Buy it, just ignore Deus Ex: Invisible War though.

The original has dated graphics but I think it's generally regarded as a classic with relatively open gameplay and choices.

I think Human Revolution is generally regarded as surprisingly decent. Maybe not the most amazing game ever, but still competent.

What is so bad about Invisible War?

I agree. I think HR is actually very good...but only for the first few hours. Then it fizzles out extremely fast.

If you can even get IW to run these days you have spent too much time on it already.

Human Revolution is fucking sweet and a terrific experience on hard + stealth. Anyone who complains about the bosses is bad at games and has trouble accepting it.

Hey mind that boss, typhoon, what boss?

DTKT

That boss where you lost your abilities was bullshit though. I ended up throwing 20 mines in his face.

That was not a fun fight.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Deus Ex Collection is currently $11.24, how good are the games? I didn't have any previous contact with the franchise, I'm going to buy for sure, but I wanna know what to expect from these games.
I'm (still) playing through the first one for the first time and it's awesome. LOOOONG game, but worth every single second invested in it. Many ways to beat every level, which are rather open and non-linear. Fucking cool soundtrack, not so good voice acting, you can play it as a straight up shooter or stealthily. Interesting, if a little confusing, story.

I haven't played any of the sequels, and didn't finish DE1 yet, but for $2.50 you can't go wrong with this one.

That boss where you lost your abilities was bullshit though. I ended up throwing 20 mines in his face.
That was not a fun fight.
You made poor decisions.
Hey guys, some people are 12 years late to the party and still haven't caught up with the last game. Could you please avoid spoiling stuff?

There are very few things that $11.24 would be better spent on.

Aside from 2, the series is great. Funnily enough, Deus Ex HR+Missing Link were going for $7 on Gamersgate a week or so ago.
Invisible War wasn't that bad all things considered, but I might give it points just because I like just about every FPS/RPG hybrid of that sort. Sure it was a massive downgrade from the original, but in a few ways Human Revolution is as well, just given a pass because of the length since the last and the current gaming landscape. Universal ammo was a huge fuckup though, but it could've worked if handled a bit differently.

lisa03.gif

I didn't get to pick!

Well, I personally welcome you to my state (Orlando area). The worst part truly is the humidity. During the summer, don't go outside unless you absolutely have to. I usually start sweating just walking from my car into work. Other than that, there are a ton of fun things to do and beaches everywhere.

On another note:
First to quote gets Crazy Machines 2

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Hey guys, some people are 12 years late to the party and still haven't caught up with the last game. Could you please avoid spoiling stuff?

The statute of limitations on spoilers is 90 days, not 12 god damned years. After more then a decade it's on you to avoid spoilers not for every other human on the planet to tip toe around you.

Is anyone else having a bug where games suddenly grey out and appear as though you haven't downloaded them? It acts like you need to download the game again, but the process finds the install and everything is right as rain after that even though the download window says you just downloaded 4GB at about 2,384,433 GB/s. It's happened to Hotline Miami and Deadlight so far.

Mind you I'm signed up to the beta so it may resolve itself in the next few updates.

zkylon

zkylewd
I really don't understand what GAF saw in Sleeping Dogs. It was awesome at first but it grew old and repetitive fast, and the story just went nowhere half-way through and I just started resenting the game for it.

Not really a bad game, just a lot worse than I expected...

iavi

The moment I got ahead of a target during a car chase, whipped the rear of the car I was driving around so that I was facing the incoming target, and sprayed into the cab with an auto--all of that happening in slow mo as soon as the gun came out--I knew it was the game for me.

The game drops you into some fantastic scenarios. I can understand the repetitive complaint, however.

I really don't understand what GAF saw in Sleeping Dogs. It was awesome at first but it grew old and repetitive fast, and the story just went nowhere half-way through and I just started resenting the game for it.

No it's pretty crap for a major release. I think a lot of people have been a little restrained with their criticism because it's practically a miracle that it even got finished. Plus it definitely looks great on a decent pc, so there's that.

I gave it a few tries but it really just felt like GTA Shanghai. And I mean GTA 4 style, not one of the good GTAs.

deejay

Have keys for:

Dungeons The Dark Lord
Eschalon Book II
iBomber Defense
Men Of War Assault Squad
Two Worlds 2

Quote me if you want one of of these.

I agree, it gets old fast and it is a real grind to the end. But as you said, until that point (and the point I think most Gaf impressions come from) it is awesome.

So that makes it worthwhile considering most people would have paid bugger all for it.

Deus Ex HR is the same. Both games introduce all their mechanics and run out of ideas. Then it is rinse and repeat the same shit you just did until the end.

zkylon

zkylewd
I feel Sleepy Dogs is just stuck in the mix of an open world game and a linear game and it ends up being something like Mafia, and while I did like Mafia, these types of games rely way too much on story to be engaging because on those drives from place to place you start to notice the empty space and you're bound to wonder why. You notice that all the mechanics don't mash all that well with each other, there's too many damn minigames, etc...

Sleepy Dogs tries to fill its world but mostly with meaningless stuff that'd give Ubi a run for their money and I still don't get why I get Hong Kong Dollars for completing missions if I can't buy anything fun with it. The story also took a big dive in the middle chapter and just lost me after a chain of terrible missions.

There's stuff to love in Sleepy Dogs, the hand to hand combat is fun and stunt hijacks are nuts, and sometimes goofing around in the city works (though this is true for pretty much any open world game), but it's been a big disappointment.

wilflare

If you are moving somewhere permanently you will presably get a credit card with a billing address there. That's all you need to buy stuff from the local Steam store. (Source: I moved permanently 6 months ago.)

wut. okay. I'm changing to my US debit card...
(and I suppose with PayPal I need a US PayPal?).. no wonder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom