• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh nice, I've been looking into grabbing this, anyone want to start a 4pack buy?

I'm in!

I really like Football but the manager im always bad(maybe only Tropico dificulty feel good to me)...is hard to learn?

Well, it's clearly not that hard, especially if know already about football and strategy.

You just have to be courageous enough to navigate through all the Excel-style players and clubs stats, which are highly detailed (and accurate) and could be scary.

I think there is a demo, you should try it, because FM is not meant for everybody. It can be boring for some people, fascinating for others, depending on what you love in football.

I really like Football but the manager im always bad(maybe only Tropico dificulty feel good to me)...is hard to learn?

The latest football manager has a streamlined mode which takes away a lot of the complexity and is great for learning.

At least in theory. It is still going to take a big investment to get into it.

derFeef

Can you verify the game cache on a game that you are downloading? If so, place the game files in the steamapps\coomon\Age of Conan, pause the download and start the game files scan. That might work.

The flaw with this method is that Steam tends to get stuck at the 100% mark and only considers the files as successfully verified when it downloads what's missing/considered corrupt, which isn't an issue in itself, but verifying data renders the rest of the client unusable.

Yeah, doe snot work sadly. I am not sure what's the trick here and how Steam checks the files, it's weird.

It is still going to take a big investment to get into it.

It's not such a big investment. It's miles away from the learning curve of any à la Paradox games or things like that, especially if you're already a football fan, as all the transfer related stuff, the strategy, the way to select a team, should be quite natural.

But it's also infinitely harder (and better) than any FIFA Manager or other games like that.

Wok

The 10% discount is ridiculous. You will still be able to get the game for cheaper if you decide to go for a 4-pack with 3 other GAFffers. There is no time limit for the pack.

You still have to be careful with the paypal fees if you share a 4-pack. I don't know exactly how this works, but Paypal takes a small amount of money if you send money to other people.

jediyoshi

You still have to be careful with the paypal fees if you share a 4-pack. I don't know exactly how this works, but Paypal takes a small amount of money if you send money to other people.

If their paypal account is not verified ala it not yet being tied to their bank account. If it is, there's no transaction fee.

FloatOn

Was there anything to resolve the Jet Set Radio with amd cards issue regarding the slow ass frame rate?

I have to restart my pc any time I want to play that game. Annoying.

I just finished Deus Ex.

I have only one thing to say: wow!
So,
Illuminati, dark age, or Helios?

Was there anything to resolve the Jet Set Radio with amd cards issue regarding the slow ass frame rate?

It's not an AMD thing, the game just has a weird issue where if your PC is on for some indeterminate amount of time something happens that apparently makes the game run in a single digit framerate for no apparent reason.

Installing Two Worlds II again...

While it is downloading, I am looking for a good game with a small install size (so it can download quickly), would probably have to come from the Indie scene. I haven't kept up with these releases over the past year. Prefer Action, RPG games. Any suggestions?

Blizzard

Banned

I might have had to restart my PC once after installing it (AMD 5850), but after that it has always worked fine as far as I know.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Installing Two Worlds II again...

While it is downloading, I am looking for a good game with a small install size (so it can download quickly), would probably have to come from the Indie scene. I haven't kept up with these releases over the past year. Prefer Action, RPG games. Any suggestions?

Hotline Miami is action. If you haven't played it yet, you need to.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
So,
Illuminati, dark age, or Helios?
Helios, it was the least of 3 evils. Dark age would isolate every city, country and continent, while Illuminati means there's a world government lead by a secret organization operating from the shadows.

I don't know if Helios's motives are true, but I chose to believe so. I mean, it can't be worse than what Page was trying to achieve, right? And if Illuminati rose to power, who's to say a group like Majestic 12 isn't going to be formed again, and attempt to take over the world like Simons and Page did before?

Sometimes a bit of freedom must be sacrificed for the well being of everyone, for peace. This is one of those times. The alternatives are much worse, in my opinion.

Guys, I'm playing Deus Ex right now and just found a glitch with which I can interact repeatedly with a certain character to receive 500 skill points each time I do it. I've done it several times, raking up thousands of points, but I haven't saved yet. Would that be considered cheating?

If so, I'll load my previous save, which happened after talking to him 2 times (therefore receiving 1000 skill points; I discovered how to exploit the glitch right after saving), so technically I would still have taken advantage of the glitch, though in my defense I didn't know about it yet and it wasn't intentional (I always speak several times with every NPC so as to hear everything they have to say). If it isn't cheating, then... nah, I'd still feel bad knowing I beat the game in a non-intended way, taking advantage of a specific design flaw. What do you think? I don't want to be a cheater :/
When I discovered that glitch, I ALWAYS used it on subsequent playthroughts. It's just so much fun playing the last two levels as a god.

Salsa

here we go

ibiSaKOhvpBmki.PNG

I expect goodness

Nakayumi

So it seems that by pre-ordering Resident Evil 6, people will now directly unlock Resident Evil 5. Very happy about it. Haven't played it since it released back in 2009 on PS3, and I was looking forward to seeing how a capable PC would run it. First thing I noticed when I started playing however, was the awful piss-filter. This game is truly one of its worst offenders. While I usually prefer to stay as true to the original as possible when modding a game, I cannot for the love of God phantom why the developers though it'd be a good idea to smudge the whole game with brown and yellow. Even the sky looks green! I suppose the dark colors are a means to put the player off and make the whole thing seem more gloomy and horror-like, but the result is just ridiculous. One think that did strike me as funny though, was the fact that even the color tones in official guide I bought 4 years ago is yellow and brownish.

Played around with SweetFX a bit but couldn't find a setting to my liking. ENB on the other hand cleared things up tremendously, vivid colors makes the setting of Africa that much more convincing. Gameplay is as tight as ever, and it's an absolute joy to play this in 60 FPS. Despite all the backlash, I'm really looking forward to playing RE6 next month.

I like this new pre-order unlocking thing. It might just be another marketing ploy, but if the played gets more bang for buck by pre-ordering, I'm definitely not complaining.

dot

I like this new pre-order unlocking thing. It might just be another marketing ploy, but if the played gets more bang for buck by pre-ordering, I'm definitely not complaining.

Yeah, i really like this whole preorder reward level thing too. Nice to know RE5 is automatically unlocked. Looks like i'm gonna have to preorder RE6 soon.

Salsa

pre-order reward unlock thing is retarded. Sorry but it is

it looks great on paper, but the problem is that it replaces regular pre-order rewards.

I see a game, I see the reward to pre-order and decide "well im gonna get it anyway, might as well" and then because not enugh people bought it I dont get shit? what does that have to do with me? if they wanna give me an incentive to pre-order a game give me one, to me. Dont make me go convince people to pre-order the thing in some evil marketing ploy.

they're okay so far cause im yet to see a case where the last reward wasnt unlocked, but they are a step back in terms of incentive.

pre-order reward unlock thing is retarded. Sorry but it is

it looks great on paper, but the problem is that it replaces regular pre-order rewards.

I see a game, I see the reward to pre-order and decide "well im gonna get it anyway, might as well" and then because not enugh people bought it I dont get shit? what does that have to do with me? if they wanna give me an incentive to pre-order a game give me one, to me. Dont make me go convince people to pre-order the thing in some evil marketing ploy.

they're okay so far cause im yet to see a case where the last reward wasnt unlocked, but they are a step back in terms of incentive.

Just preorder on the last day. Getting something like RE6 a month before you can play it seems strange to me for a digital purchase. If you wait, you know exactly what you are getting plus you might have more information about if it will be good or not.

The failing is of course that nobody will preorder...but heck people preordered colonial marines to #1 so to me the system more than works.

Salsa

DmC, played 10 mins:

holy shit

this port is fucking amazing

downsampling from 2040x1152 and still getting near 120fps

I see no aliasing, no nothing

beyond that the game already won me over. the music, the intro, the UI blending with the visuals

game is hawt, I knew I was right

Salsa

Would you say you a DmC fan?

I'm neither here nor there on the franchise so not sure if I would enjoy it or not.

I played all the games except the fourth one (wich I own on Steam since ages ago, im an idiot) and really enjoyed them. Favorite being 3 I think (original was also great)

I dont know if i'd say im a fan. I was one of the very few who were totally ok with the Dante change and Ninja Theory giving the franchise a whirl so I guess that makes me a non-fan? lol. To me the games were always about ridiculous shit with tons of flashy heavily stylized visuals and great combat mechanics. So far this game checks every box.

If you like games where you hit people a bunch with different moves and chain combos, you'll like it.

I played all the games except the fourth one (wich I own on Steam since ages ago, im an idiot) and really enjoyed them. Favorite being 3 I think (original was also great)

I dont know if i'd say im a fan. I was one of the very few who were totally ok with the Dante change and Ninja Theory giving the franchise a whirl so I guess that makes me a non-fan? lol. To me the games were always about ridiculous shit with tons of flashy heavily stylized visuals and great combat mechanics. So far this game checks every box.

If you like games where you hit people a bunch with different moves and chain combos, you'll like it.

Thanks. Will be looking out for a sale as I think I'd have some fun with it.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Decided to sitck to outside-of-Steam for EA games in the instances where there aren't any specific advantages to getting them on Steam (or when they don't exist on the store). Bought Dead Space 1 & 2 on the cheap in the Amazon sale and I'm currently playing DS1 since I never beat it on the 360 (currently at the
Bridge re-routing ADS power
).

What a better game this is at 60fps. I switched back and forth and on 30fps it feels like I'm playing with a rock, and the menus feel so sluggish too. I know some people will say it "fits the horror atmosphere" but... I'll stick to smoothness and more responsive gameplay.

Wasn't all that easy at first for my slightly noobish ways though, DS is locked to 30fps when the in-game Vsync is on, and it took me a bit of trial and error + research to understand why forcing Vsync and Triple Buffering from the GPU wasn't working. Turns out I needed D3DOverrider to make it work. I don't mind having to do a bit of research as I enjoy tweaking and discovering tools I didn't know about, but it's still bullshit that developers keep tring to lock their PC ports to 30fps when there's no engine reason for it. I read that the PC versions of DS2 and even 3 still work like that too, so I guess they see it as a feature or something in the case of this series.

Decado

Decided to sitck to outside-of-Steam for EA games in the instances where there aren't any specific advantages to getting them on Steam (or when they don't exist on the store). Bought Dead Space 1 & 2 on the cheap in the Amazon sale and I'm currently playing DS1 since I never beat it on the 360 (currently at the
Bridge re-routing ADS power
).

What a better game this is at 60fps. I switched back and forth and on 30fps it feels like I'm playing with a rock, and the menus feel so sluggish too. I know some people will say it "fits the horror atmosphere" but... I'll stick to smoothness and more responsive gameplay.

Wasn't all that easy at first for my slightly noobish ways though, DS is locked to 30fps when the in-game Vsync is on, and it took me a bit of trial and error + research to understand why forcing Vsync and Triple Buffering from the GPU wasn't working. Turns out I needed D3DOverrider to make it work. I don't mind having to do a bit of research as I enjoy tweaking and discovering tools I didn't know about, but it's still bullshit that developers keep tring to lock their PC ports to 30fps when there's no engine reason for it. I read that the PC versions of DS2 and even 3 still work like that too, so I guess they see it as a feature or something in the case of this series.

Heh. I'm thinking about doing the same. I own the 1st and 2nd game for the PS3, but only got about 1/2 way through DS1 (kept getting stuck on Hard). I hear the game is really nice in 3D on the PC, so that's what's tempting me. I just wish I knew how to down sampling to 720p on a 1080p screen (720p is required for passive 3D).

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
When I discovered that glitch, I ALWAYS used it on subsequent playthroughts. It's just so much fun playing the last two levels as a god.
Yeah, I think of using it next time I play the game. I plan on making a trigger-happy playthrough, and having a super powerful character sounds about right.

You have chosen well.

There is no fourth option in the game other than BIG AMERICAN PARTY!!!
WTF is that? Now that's how you really end a game!

Yeah, I think of using it next time I play the game. I plan on making a trigger-happy playthrough, and having a super powerful character sounds about right.
Once you get the godhood out of the way, I always liked taking weird limitation runs. Using my points mastering skills that otherwise aren't wise like swimming and trying to find ways to maximize its use, and mixing up my aug builds.

I think my weirdest thing about Deus Ex that I enjoy and a standard that I use on every game that has tried to evoke its options since then is the body carry run test. I played a run of Deus Ex where I carried the "NSF Terrorist Leader" from the first mission throughout the entire game and it worked right to the very ending. I even let a karkian munch on him a bit. I couldn't get a body in Dishonoured farther than the first level when I encountered a climbing chain.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Once you get the godhood out of the way, I always liked taking weird limitation runs. Using my points mastering skills that otherwise aren't wise like swimming and trying to find ways to maximize its use, and mixing up my aug builds.

I think my weirdest thing about Deus Ex that I enjoy and a standard that I use on every game that has tried to evoke its options since then is the body carry run test. I played a run of Deus Ex where I carried the "NSF Terrorist Leader" from the first mission throughout the entire game and it worked right to the very ending. I even let a karkian munch on him a bit. I couldn't get a body in Dishonoured farther than the first level when I encountered a climbing chain.
Consider my mind blown. You did something like the "Little rocket man" achievement from Half-Life 2 Episode 2 but with a dead body, from beginning to end? How did you manage to do that? I'm truly impressed! How about ladders, and getting on the helicopter? Did you carry it through water?

What you did there requires an incredible amount of skill at the game, you know. I'd love to see a video of your entire playthrough.

Consider my mind blown. You did something like the "Little rocket man" achievement from Half-Life 2 Episode 2 but with a dead body, from beginning to end? How did you manage to do that? I'm truly impressed! How about ladders, and getting on the helicopter? Did you carry it through water?

What you did there requires an incredible amount of skill at the game, you know. I'd love to see a video of your entire playthrough.
Yeah, I was impressed with the transitions and that bodies get retained throughout. You could thankfully climb ladders and swim more or less completely normally holding a body and with choppers so long as you're holding him when you initiate the talk with the pilot it'll carry over. It really doesn't make it that much harder because the combat in Deus Ex isn't particularly intense, but it is funny to just plop a character that's long out of context within the story and trying to Weekend at Bernie's his unconscious body as you traverse the world.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I was impressed with the transitions and that bodies get retained throughout. You could thankfully climb ladders and swim more or less completely normally holding a body and with choppers so long as you're holding him when you initiate the talk with the pilot it'll carry over. It really doesn't make it that much harder because the combat in Deus Ex isn't particularly intense, but it is funny to just plop a character that's long out of context within the story and trying to Weekend at Bernie's his unconscious body as you traverse the world.
Amazing stuff. Warren Spector truly knows how to make a good game, something I wasn't quite sure about after being terribly disappointed with Epic Mickey. Such an open game, the levels have many ways to beat them, you can play it however you want. So far, best game I've played this year, it'll take quite a lot to beat it.

About to start Nights into Dreams for the first time now, should I play the classic Saturn mode first? I've never played it before.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Amazing stuff. Warren Spector truly knows how to make a good game, something I wasn't quite sure about after being terribly disappointed with Epic Mickey. Such an open game, the levels have many ways to beat them, you can play it however you want. So far, best game I've played this year, it'll take quite a lot to beat it.

I find it hard to believe he still knows what he's doing after two sub-par Mickey games. It's remarkable that such unbridled passion for the subject matter manifested so haphazardly.

Edit: I can't mourn the death of EM2's PC port as it wouldn't have come to Steam, anyway.

Sober

Godofnerdiness I saw your edit dammit!

Clearly he has not played current (wow-era) MMOs long enough to know that you eventually start farming content and you don't have to devote all your time into your game, or someone in your guild will do it for you. Of course you'll start playing other games in the off-time. That is weird to hear that Steam creates some weird attitude of ephemeralism though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom