• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bumhead

Banned
it looks great on paper, but the problem is that it replaces regular pre-order rewards.

How is that a bad thing?

Regular pre-order rewards are garbage. An extra weapon? Multiplayer skin? Garbage, that's what they are. Garbage and tat, that arguably should be in the game by default anyway.

I think there's discussion to be had over the ethics of a tiered pre-order scheme, in terms of the effect of viral marketing etc (there was discussion about that in the BioShock Infinite pre-order thread), but if you're the sort of person who pre-orders anyway I don't know why you'd rather have "regular pre-order rewards" over copies of free games. And good games, too.

I don't normally pre-order games as I don't see the point on Steam, and in 99% of cases I never want the extra tat bonuses you get for doing so, but when pre-ordering greatly increases the value proposition of buying the game (especially the current GMG deal for Infinite; 25% off and 2 free games) then thats fantastic. That's a situation where the only thing going on is a ridiculous level of value being passed down on to me.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Thus far every game with the reward tiers has reached 100%. I've said this before, but I completely believe that the progress bar is arbitrary and all tiers will unlock regardless of the number of pre-orders; the system exists purely to coax the more hesitant into pre-ordering.

jAAph0uWMBBKS.jpg

jbcN6OPR5wcARe.jpg

jt8FFw67045HW.jpg

old dante sux

3SN28j1.jpg

A game for the easily impressed.

zkylon

zkylewd
Thus far every game with the reward tiers has reached 100%. I've said this before, but I completely believe that the progress bar is arbitrary and all tiers will unlock regardless of the number of pre-orders; the system exists purely to coax the more hesitant into pre-ordering.
Agreed. These things are getting ridiculously scammy...

I had the same hunch, but then it deters me more than anything, I'd rather just wait until it's entirely unlocked before being pushed over the edge. While I don't like the method, it does seem to make the bonuses themselves better. You can say something for Bioshock and TF2 items, but getting XCOM as a free bonus so soon after it came out? That's pretty awesome.

Did Painkiller HD get all tiers? I seem to remember it was struggling sometime close to release date.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Did Painkiller HD get all tiers? I seem to remember it was struggling sometime close to release date.

Steam's age gate seems to be tripping up archive.org's snapshot of the game's Steam store page on the day of release, but looking through SPUF's Painkiller forum and discussions on the game's Community Hub there doesn't appear to be any threads complaining about tiers 2/3 not being reached.

Well it's having the opposite effect on me. Don't want to pre-order until XCOM unlocks.

Nakayumi

How is that a bad thing?

Regular pre-order rewards are garbage. An extra weapon? Multiplayer skin? Garbage, that's what they are. Garbage and tat, that arguably should be in the game by default anyway.

I think there's discussion to be had over the ethics of a tiered pre-order scheme, in terms of the effect of viral marketing etc (there was discussion about that in the BioShock Infinite pre-order thread), but if you're the sort of person who pre-orders anyway I don't know why you'd rather have "regular pre-order rewards" over copies of free games. And good games, too.

I don't normally pre-order games as I don't see the point on Steam, and in 99% of cases I never want the extra tat bonuses you get for doing so, but when pre-ordering greatly increases the value proposition of buying the game (especially the current GMG deal for Infinite; 25% off and 2 free games) then thats fantastic. That's a situation where the only thing going on is a ridiculous level of value being passed down on to me.

My point exactly. Pre-order rewards could be considered a cheap marketing ploy if we would only receive regular pre-order bonuses like a map pack or a few multiplayer skins. However, the bonuses included in Bioshock Infinite and Resident Evil 6 are full games, and pretty damn good ones too. I haven't seen these kind of extras been added to regular pre-orders earlier, and I think that they are great for the fans who are already sure they will buy the game anyway.

With the increasing competition on the digital distribution market, Steam and GMG have to rely more and more on these tricks to keep their costumers, but in the end it's the consumer who wins. Yes, there is always the risk that not all rewards unlock, but this has not happened so far I think, and it's a nice bonus that, as soon as a reward unlocks, that bonus game is playable right away.

FYC

Banned
Godofnerdiness I saw your edit dammit!

Clearly he has not played current (wow-era) MMOs long enough to know that you eventually start farming content and you don't have to devote all your time into your game, or someone in your guild will do it for you. Of course you'll start playing other games in the off-time. That is weird to hear that Steam creates some weird attitude of ephemeralism though.

Oh, this?

Yeah, I saw it on the AoC forums and it reminded me of a certain expert.

ArjanN

Nah, that's straight up tinfoil hat territory. They just set the goals low enough that they'll always make them.

1-D_FTW

Oh, this?

Makes me proud to say I've never played an MMO in my life.

That's a lie. Sony sent me a beta for the PS2 version of Everquest. I spent more filling time my memory card with all the patches than I did playing the game though.

Twinduct

Oh, this?

Well he ain't lying about the buying part. The rest is BS though. This mentality gets applied to almost any MMO, by it's loyalist, when there is a shift that allows new people to join. Kinda reminds me of when Tera went F2P. Fun reading forums during the shift lol.

Salsa

How is that a bad thing?

?

plenty of pre-order rewards are a copies of an older game, much like Bioshock Infinite is expecting you to "unlock"

how long have you been using Steam?

Tizoc

Tony said that it's was a typo, so that's why he increased the price :(

(I managed to buy it when it was $7.49) :)

=_= Cheapest the game's ever been is $7.49 on Steam sale from what I read so with the CAGROCKS code, it would only be a little less cheaper.
Well this sale's a bit of a downer now, nothing that inerests me on amazon atm aside from Kung Fu Strike.

=_= Cheapest the game's ever been is $7.49 on Steam sale from what I read so with the CAGROCKS code, it would only be a little less cheaper.
Well this sale's a bit of a downer now, nothing that inerests me on amazon atm aside from Kung Fu Strike.

Yes, you could get it cheaper with the code (I used it on Nights) so that's why I bought it for $7.49.

And there's nothing more that could interests me from the sale, anyways I'm going to check the list twice, maybe I can find something good :)

Attention friends, and/or buds. This is an important day. You may recall my previous confrontation with waiting too long for VIN DIESEL'S WHEELMAN, which has tragically been removed from the Steam store. My current "White Whale" game Mini Ninjas keeps tempting me with it's 6.69 sale price, but I have not pulled the trigger, ever-waiting for a further daily deal.

Well that day has finally come. Amazon has the game (Steam key included) for 4.49 with an additional 25% off gift code, making it 3.34. Fear not my friends, for we have made it. Mini Ninjas has been obtained. Now let's all go home to our families, and await the white trail of smoke in the sky, signifying a new "White Whale game" being chosen.

was somewhat interested in grabbing Inversion off Amazon ...but noticed someone saying that it requires a USA IP address?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008K52VP4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

mentioned in the first review on the page ...

anyone know if that's actually the case? i'm in Canada, btw.

I'm going to quote JaceC's post; I bought the game, and it was activated as NCSA. :)

NSCA = North/South/Central America... so, you're right, the keys aren't region-locked to the US, but they are region-locked to the continent of America. ;)

Varg

Banned
Anyone know of any deal on dawn of war 2 or company if heroes ? Should I expect them to be part of the big steam sales that happen ?

lol, Old Dante looked better than that maybe because of 'artstyle'? Still waiting to find the Steam ver. for $20 from a legit site @_@, what do you guys expect the cheapest it'd be during the Summer Sale?

I got it from a legit site for $20 five days after it came out. I would expect it to be half off this summer.

Bumhead

Banned
?

plenty of pre-order rewards are a copies of an older game, much like Bioshock Infinite is expecting you to "unlock"

how long have you been using Steam?

A couple of years, but I can't recall seeing many pre-orders include copies of free games. Certainly not on the level of X-Com. But like I say, I'm not an active or regular pre-orderer of games.

I'm far more used to seeing pre-order bonuses such as skins, weapons, multiplayer XP etc etc. Oh and hats, obviously. My interpretation of your post was that it was those sort of items you were referencing.

I tried to play Half-Life 1 last year and it was awful. So tedious. It's aged about as well as... I dunno. Something that hasn't aged very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom