• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
Guys, I'm playing Deus Ex right now and just found a glitch with which I can interact repeatedly with a certain character to receive 500 skill points each time I do it. I've done it several times, raking up thousands of points, but I haven't saved yet. Would that be considered cheating?

If so, I'll load my previous save, which happened after talking to him 2 times (therefore receiving 1000 skill points; I discovered how to exploit the glitch right after saving), so technically I would still have taken advantage of the glitch, though in my defense I didn't know about it yet and it wasn't intentional (I always speak several times with every NPC so as to hear everything they have to say). If it isn't cheating, then... nah, I'd still feel bad knowing I beat the game in a non-intended way, taking advantage of a specific design flaw. What do you think? I don't want to be a cheater :/
I personally think some of the best things in games happen when you're on a tight economy, so you might want to think about that.

Cheating or not really doesn't matter, do whatever's most fun.

welp after 10 mins of playing: mixing notes is back
Nice, faith restored.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Guys, I'm playing Deus Ex right now and just found a glitch with which I can interact repeatedly with a certain character to receive 500 skill points each time I do it. I've done it several times, raking up thousands of points, but I haven't saved yet. Would that be considered cheating?

If so, I'll load my previous save, which happened after talking to him 2 times (therefore receiving 1000 skill points; I discovered how to exploit the glitch right after saving), so technically I would still have taken advantage of the glitch, though in my defense I didn't know about it yet and it wasn't intentional (I always speak several times with every NPC so as to hear everything they have to say). If it isn't cheating, then... nah, I'd still feel bad knowing I beat the game in a non-intended way, taking advantage of a specific design flaw. What do you think? I don't want to be a cheater :/

My brother recently finished the game and he abused that, but it's near the end of the game anyways and didn't find it to be that useful anyways because he was just throwing points into skills he didn't even care for.

Pandemic

Question that may or may not be related to this, but if I purchase a PC game off STEAM, and want to play it on my Macbook Pro, is that possible, or are they both different versions..?

Question that may or may not be related to this, but if I purchase a PC game off STEAM, and want to play it on my Macbook Pro, is that possible, or are they both different versions..?

Depends on if the game supports Steam Play (support for both Mac and PC version).

more information here: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9439-QHKN-1308

But be careful, because there's probably some games that only let you purchase one version without letting you play the other OS version. Like Call of Duty: Black Ops 1 http://store.steampowered.com/app/42700/ Make sure the game's store page has Steam Play enabled

Just finished Spec Ops: The Line. Pretty good game. Standard shooter with an above average story.

And I got it for $2.50, so that's a bonus. I need to get back into XCOM.

Pandemic

Depends on if the game supports Steam Play (support for both Mac and PC version).

more information here: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9439-QHKN-1308

But be careful, because there's probably some games that only let you purchase one version without letting you play the other OS version. Like Call of Duty: Black Ops 1 http://store.steampowered.com/app/42700/ Make sure the game store page has Steam Play enabled

Hmm, alright, cool. Thanks mate.

Smokey

Try this solution.

Hit start->run->regedit
Go to key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers
Look for a entry with your path to steam.exe
Delete that entry
If you dont find it there try HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

It looks like this worked! Thanks man. The other error I posted seems to be a driver issue that only affects Nvidia Surround users :l

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
It's a single-player game, do whatever is most fun for you. =P Unless you're competing with someone for a speedrun or something, it's a very old game and doesn't really matter, I'm not gonna judge you on it!
You're right, the only one who would know is me. And I feel bad knowing that, so I decided not to do it.

I personally think some of the best things in games happen when you're on a tight economy, so you might want to think about that.

Cheating or not really doesn't matter, do whatever's most fun.
Yes, besides it allows for a different play style if I ever decide to replay the game, something that would be kinda ruined by maxing every skill now.

My brother recently finished the game and he abused that, but it's near the end of the game anyways and didn't find it to be that useful anyways because he was just throwing points into skills he didn't even care for.
That's what I was going to do if I decided to go with it: maxing every ability, despite never having used a heavy gun in the whole game, and almost no environment suits. So that's 2 useless skills for my play style (stealth during the first 28 hours or so, mix of stealth and
sword fighting
afterwards).

And I still haven't finished the game, though now I'm pretty sure I'm close to.

FloatOn

I attempted to play guns of icarus late last night when I should have been sleeping. My pilot was kind of crappy so I don't think it was as good of a time as it could have been.

Seems like a pretty interesting game though.

I've been playing Alan Wake. I'm at chapter six and just saw the
"Huh. Turns out this isn't too bad even if you're not sitting on a couch when playing it. Who knew" message.

Well played Remedy. Great game btw.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
"Huh. Turns out this isn't too bad even if you're not sitting on a couch when playing it. Who knew" message.

Even in our post-Alan Wake PC world there are still people who think it was Remedy that rationalised Alan Wake's temporary X360 exclusivity with such a ridiculous line.

Tomodachi

The most ironic part was that I was
playing sitting on a couch
and a 360 pad in my hands when I read that.

FYC

Banned
Age of Conan is on Steam(again?)

Funcom and Valve are happy to announce that Age of Conan has joined Steam's Free-to-Play library of games.

Download Age of Conan on Steam to get access to an exclusive in-game cloak, the Spiked Cloak of Vapors.

Once you install the game from Steam, you can register a Steam-linked account by clicking the "Register" button at the login screen in the game client and registering an account. Your US or EU region key will be automatically assigned based on your country of residence.

For more information, visit Age of Conan: Unchained in the Steam store.

http://www.ageofconan.com/news/age_of_conan_is_now_on_steam

def sim

Yay. I managed to get Radeon Pro to work on my PC again. I miss forcing vsync and AA on games that bungle it up; Dead Space is now playable.

Retro City Rampage is $7.5 on Steam and on the official website (they give you a Steam key). Is it worth it?

Also, did someone here try Monaco? The preorder is 10% off for another week on the official website (Steam key too), and I've been interested in it for quite some time, but I'm not completely sure it's that good.

Wok

Also, did someone here try Monaco? The preorder is 10% off for another week on the official website (Steam key too), and I've been interested in it for quite some time, but I'm not completely sure it's that good.

The 10% discount is ridiculous. You will still be able to get the game for cheaper if you decide to go for a 4-pack with 3 other GAFffers. There is no time limit for the pack.

"The four pack is 4 for the price of 3. It won't be changing after launch. The pre-launch discount is only on the single copy, though if you want to buy copies for your friends, or group together to buy, it's still cheaper to go with the four pack."

Tomodachi

> "Come on, let's see some Gratuitous Space Battles screenshots on the store page, maybe it's a nice game and I can try it for free!"

> Goes to store page

> Huge green banner with "You already own this game"

wut

Every single time Steam, every single time!

The 10% discount is ridiculous. You will still be able to get the game for cheaper if you decide to go for a 4-pack with 3 other GAFffers. There is no time limit for the pack.

Oh, I didn't pay attention to that... Yep, definitely more interesting! Thanks.

Relax.MX

> "Come on, let's see some Gratuitous Space Battles screenshots on the store page, maybe it's a nice game and I can try it for free!"

> Goes to store page

> Huge green banner with "You already own this game"

wut

Every single time Steam, every single time!

Same happen to me... But

It was part of a bundle... But I don't remember what bundle and I guess that is more sad

Grief.exe

I played through most of this on the console. Not bad but not as good as Viking: Battle for Asgard.

ib1gIPrczI8Do.gif

Same happen to me... But

It was part of a bundle... But I don't remember what bundle and I guess that is more sad

Is it worth playing? It looks interesting but I just don't know whether I should even waste the time to download and try it out.

Ugh... my backlog looks at me every time I click on the store or my wish list. "Are we not good enough for you, you prick?"

Oh well... finished Spec Ops, played XCOM for an hour this morning. Tried the King's Bounty: AP demo and didn't like it. Feels good, man.

derFeef

Ok so I Have Age of Conan already installed on my PC but I would love to add it to Steam.
Now installing it from the store starts the download in the steamapps\downloads\... folder.

I copy the AoC files over there but Steam is still downloading the whole package (after restart etc.) I also tried putting the files into steamapps\common\Age of Conan which got created after some downloading, but that does not work either as it does not recognize the files somehow.

Any ideas?

JaseC

Ok so I Have Age of Conan already installed on my PC but I would love to add it to Steam.
Now installing it from the store starts the download in the steamapps\downloads\... folder.

I copy the AoC files over there but Steam is still downloading the whole package (after restart etc.) I also tried putting the files into steamapps\common\Age of Conan which got created after some downloading, but that does not work either as it does not recognize the files somehow.

Any ideas?

If you've tried putting your existing AoC folder into steamapps\common (with the correct name as per the folder Steam downloads the game to) prior to initialising the installation and Steam still didn't consider the files valid, there's nothing you can do.

Holy fuck Mark of the Ninja is the shit. I knew that it would be good given that even Derrick praises it, but I don't even like stealth games that much and was expecting to feel that it was overrated.

Thank you based Klei <3

Also, i'm terribad at The Showdown Effect. I've never been called a noob so many times in a single day :(

DTKT

Any ideas?

Can you verify the game cache on a game that you are downloading? If so, place the game files in the steamapps\coomon\Age of Conan, pause the download and start the game files scan. That might work.

JaseC

Can you verify the game cache on a game that you are downloading? If so, place the game files in the steamapps\downloads\Age of Conan, pause the download and start the game files scan. That might work.

The flaw with this method is that Steam tends to get stuck at the 100% mark and only considers the files as successfully verified when it downloads what's missing/considered corrupt, which isn't an issue in itself, but verifying data renders the rest of the client unusable.

Ok now i want Football Manager 2013 is 15 in Amazon with coupon...is the cheaper way to get it and is worth it?

I've been playing the Football Manager series for years (and Championship Manager before that), and it's a truly fantastic game.

Considering the time you'll spend on it (if you like soccer), it's completely worth it.

Blizzard

Banned
Games don't get any blander than this people.
Why do you say this? The approach of making things look like miniature models and soldiers, rather than an actual battlefield, seems unique compared to other strategy games, if anything. There are only a few reviews and they are mediocre, 70-75 level, however.

Is it because of your dislike of tower defense games? That's at least understandable from that perspective. :p

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Why do you say this? The approach of making things look like miniature models and soldiers, rather than an actual battlefield, seems unique compared to other strategy games, if anything.

It plays no role in the gameplay... or the visuals really. Stuff doesn't really look like toys either. It's just another tedious TD game that I was stuck playing from that Amazon pack.

Army Men 1/2 did it years ago and those games did it justice.

Relax.MX

I've been playing the Football Manager series for years (and Championship Manager before that), and it's a truly fantastic game.

Considering the time you'll spend on it (if you like soccer), it's completely worth it.

I really like Football but the manager im always bad(maybe only Tropico dificulty feel good to me)...is hard to learn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom