• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.
For you Linux Steam gaffers, TF2's latest update dramatically improves performance. Now with this build, my Linux performance matches (possibly exceeds) my Windows performance. Its a beautiful thing.

On my two nvidia machines (gtx 670 and gtx 580) performance has been great since day one. Weird that others have been having problems even with modern nvidia cards.

Salsa

The Blackwell Legacy was alright. Its like 2 hours long tops, but it's nice to see the seed of those other Wadjeteye Games. I'll probably play the second one right away if it's as short.

Never got stuck and it was all pretty fluid reasoning, AKA a well made adventure game.

I picked up Kentucky Route Zero, it was one of the few Greenlight games that really looked interesting to me. I'll try to post some impressions later once I've played the first episode.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
This talk about internet speeds makes me wanna cry. Here I am, with a shitty 3 Mb/s connection, and there you are, with a 3 MB/s one.

They just opened one about 20 clicks from my place. Too long a drive but hmmm
I didn't know you were from Buenos Aires too! I went there last weekend, it was tasty, but trying to eat it with my hands was a bitch.

masterkajo

Wow at the Bioshock Infinite pre-order offerings both at steam and greenmangaming. I would not hesitate to pre-order from greenmangaming if I didn't already own all free games they give. On steam you have to pay more but get TF2 items (which can be sold for a bit) as well as XCom (which I already own but lots of friends on my list want). Decisions, decisions.

zkylon

zkylewd
The Blackwell Legacy was alright. Its like 2 hours long tops, but it's nice to see the seed of those other Wadjeteye Games. I'll probably play the second one right away if it's as short.

Never got stuck and it was all pretty fluid reasoning, AKA a well made adventure game.
The clues system is pretty cool but I think they ditch it in Blackwell 2. What a shame.

I didn't know you were from Buenos Aires too! I went there last weekend, it was tasty, but trying to eat it with my hands was a bitch.
Yup, I also just realized they opened another one like 10 blocks from here, so I'll prolly check it out on next week.

This sounds like the most wonderfully backhanded compliment ever.
lol

batteryLeakage

Neo Member
On my two nvidia machines (gtx 670 and gtx 580) performance has been great since day one. Weird that others have been having problems even with modern nvidia cards.

My system is no spring chicken (Q6600 @ 2.4 Ghz and Geforce 8800 Ultra) so any gain in performance is very welcome for me.

It wasn't that it was abysmal before but I would turn off antialiasing and turn down the anisotropic filtering so that I could keep my fps above 60. Now after the update all the bells and whistles can be turned up and the framerate is solid.

HoosTrax

Personally, I find KFC a bit dry. I prefer Popeyes, especially the spicy fried chicken and their seasoned fries. Although, fried chicken in general is a little greasy for my tastes. Feel somewhat less guilty about indulging in Peruvian chargrilled chicken instead, including that mystery green sauce, or Chipotle's grilled chicken.

Wow at the Bioshock Infinite pre-order offerings both at steam and greenmangaming. I would not hesitate to pre-order from greenmangaming if I didn't already own all free games they give. On steam you have to pay more but get TF2 items (which can be sold for a bit) as well as XCom (which I already own but lots of friends on my list want). Decisions, decisions.
I'm a little concerned about buying from GMG now, because the first and only time I did, I got hit with an exchange rate fee, which might be considerable for a $60 purchase. Not sure how to avoid that (don't use Paypal?).

Dr Dogg

My system is no spring chicken (Q6600 @ 2.4 Ghz and Geforce 8800 Ultra) so any gain in performance is very welcome for me.

It wasn't that it was abysmal before but I would turn off antialiasing and turn down the anisotropic filtering so that I could keep my fps above 60. Now after the update all the bells and whistles can be turned up and the framerate is solid.

I still run a Q6600 although clocked @2.8Ghz but it's amazing that despite being close to 7 years old can mix it up with current hardware. I used to have a 9800GT but that sadly had to go about 3 years ago. I can remember reading somewhere that Valve are getting better performance from Linux with Open GL on Source over Windows with either Open GL or DirectX. Be interesting to see when something with more technical effect like Portal 2 or Left4Dead are released for Linux.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Ok we are going to start the Daily Deal stream in a bit ( I am late lol) but I still have one copy of the game to gift out to a GAFer to play with us. Who wants it!

zychi

Banned
anyone want to trade for a copy of bioshock before this stuff comes in for the infinite preorders? i've had it sitting in my inventory for a while and would like a game of equal or lesser value.

feel free to pm me if you have offers.

batteryLeakage

Neo Member
I still run a Q6600 although clocked @2.8Ghz but it's amazing that despite being close to 7 years old can mix it up with current hardware. I used to have a 9800GT but that sadly had to go about 3 years ago. I can remember reading somewhere that Valve are getting better performance from Linux with Open GL on Source over Windows with either Open GL or DirectX. Be interesting to see when something with more technical effect like Portal 2 or Left4Dead are released for Linux.

Yeah, Valve did say that on their Linux blog, but that wasn't the case for me on my lower end system until now. I'm definitely eager for their other titles and for what further optimizations they may bring.

And yes, the Q6600 is kind of amazing. I haven't even bothered to overclock it because the GPU always turns out to be the bottleneck.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
This sounds like the most wonderfully backhanded compliment ever.
Well, to be honest I'm not a big fan of chicken. I'd take steak any day! Or pork, or fish.

And yeah, give me a fork and a knife and I'm a happy man. Make me eat with my hands and I'll curse the day you were born. Unless it's a hamburger.

Yup, I also just realized they opened another one like 10 blocks from here, so I'll prolly check it out on next week.
Really? Where's that? I think a couple of friends want to go, and it's a 20-30 minute drive from my home to the Alto Palermo shopping, so having one closer would be appreciated.

zkylon

zkylewd
Really? Where's that? I think a couple of friends want to go, and it's a 20-30 minute drive from my home to the Alto Palermo shopping, so having one closer would be appreciated.
No, that's the one, I'm just pretty close to Alto Palermo. I think the one I was thinking of originally was in like Quilmes or something.

the combining clues thing? still there
Then they removed it in 3, and oversimplified it in 2. Something like that. I remember being pretty bummed about it.

Lulubop

Actually liking Black Op 2, looks decent enough as well. Gonna try and get a friend on board with me.

Just seen those preorder rewards for Bioshock Infinite, not bad.

If LoS2 is steamworks than I suppose part 1 would be one of those rewards.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Dear Steam,

Why the fuck am I entering my age to see an E10 rated game?

Fuck you,
Dice

Played up to the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3 and so far Kentucky Route Zero seems like it's best compared to Home. KR0 is kind of like an old point n' click adventure game but there aren't any puzzles. Similar to Home the player shapes the experience through their choices. Where KR0 differs from Home is that the player isn't completely isolated, dialogue with others plays an integral role in the experience. While KR0 seems to have a supernatural bent it, it's not horror driven like Home was. Love the spare and stylised visuals and soundtrack. Don't know how much more there is left to Act 1, I'm half an hour in so far, but I'm definitely looking forward to the future installments.

I think if you dug Home, you'll probably dig Kentucky Route Zero.

Smokey

Has anybody gotten this error before?

ZaTVork.jpg

I have tried re-installing and it still does this. I google'd and some hits suggested deleting specific stuff in the registry. I did that. I've looked at the permissions and nothing is checked that involves compatibility mode. This started happening a few days ago. I haven't changed anything. Steams customer service is a joke...sent an email in a couple days ago and no response. Garbage.

Blizzard

Banned

ZaTVork.jpg

I have tried re-installing and it still does this. I google'd and some hits suggested deleting specific stuff in the registry. I did that. I've looked at the permissions and nothing is checked that involves compatibility mode. This started happening a few days ago. I haven't changed anything. Steams customer service is a joke...sent an email in a couple days ago and no response. Garbage.
It's almost certainly the registry thing. There might be more entries to delete...just be careful that they're the right ones though. I had that happen and it took me a good while to find which reference to Steam.exe in the registry was the right one.

Smokey

It's almost certainly the registry thing. There might be more entries to delete...just be careful that they're the right ones though. I had that happen and it took me a good while to find which reference to Steam.exe in the registry was the right one.

And then when I do close it I get this:

8okgcLT.jpg

ZaTVork.jpg

Try this solution.

Hit start->run->regedit
Go to key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers
Look for a entry with your path to steam.exe
Delete that entry
If you dont find it there try HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

Salsa

finished Converged. It was alright. Prettiest one yet and it was cool to see old places with new art, but I think it was the weakest one yet because of the removal of the clues system that worked well in the previous games

it also upped the ante on the story quite a lot, a bit of jumping the shark. Shit's cray

onto the latest one

Salsa

wait wat

the pixel art in Deception is actually the worst so far? D:

third game:

Blackwell-Convergence-Review-03.jpg

fourth game:

blackwell_deception_590.jpg

god damn, major step back. Portraits are more detailed but I think they also look worse

zkylon

zkylewd
Very interested on your impressions as I'm holding on buying the last one until I know it brings anything interesting to the table.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, I'm playing Deus Ex right now and just found a glitch with which I can interact repeatedly with a certain character to receive 500 skill points each time I do it. I've done it several times, raking up thousands of points, but I haven't saved yet. Would that be considered cheating?

If so, I'll load my previous save, which happened after talking to him 2 times (therefore receiving 1000 skill points; I discovered how to exploit the glitch right after saving), so technically I would still have taken advantage of the glitch, though in my defense I didn't know about it yet and it wasn't intentional (I always speak several times with every NPC so as to hear everything they have to say). If it isn't cheating, then... nah, I'd still feel bad knowing I beat the game in a non-intended way, taking advantage of a specific design flaw. What do you think? I don't want to be a cheater :/

Blizzard

Banned
Guys, I'm playing Deus Ex right now and just found a glitch with which I can interact repeatedly with a certain character to receive 500 skill points each time I do it. I've done it several times, raking up thousands of points, but I haven't saved yet. Would that be considered cheating?

If so, I'll load my previous save, which happened after talking to him 2 times (therefore receiving 1000 skill points; I discovered how to exploit the glitch right after saving), so technically I would still have taken advantage of the glitch, though in my defense I didn't know about it yet and it wasn't intentional (I always speak several times with every NPC so as to hear everything they have to say). If it isn't cheating, then... nah, I'd still feel bad knowing I beat the game in a non-intended way, taking advantage of a specific design flaw. What do you think? I don't want to be a cheater :/
It's a single-player game, do whatever is most fun for you. =P Unless you're competing with someone for a speedrun or something, it's a very old game and doesn't really matter, I'm not gonna judge you on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom