• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.
wrong,half life is great and still better than most modern shooters.

It's not a question of right and wrong. My experience with it was of a boring game with bland environments, repetitive enemies and uninteresting level layouts. That's just my experience of it and it doesn't make yours any less valid.

ArjanN

Anyone know of any deal on dawn of war 2 or company if heroes ? Should I expect them to be part of the big steam sales that happen ?

Have been on sale a lot.

In fact I think Dawn of War 2 might be the game that's been on sale on Steam the most number of times. :p

Nokterian

I think the opening of Unreal is still nicely atmospheric.

When the lights go out and when you encouter the skaarj in the dark. That first time it really freaked me out. Yeah the atmosphere and music made this game very unique. Music was made by Michiel van de Bos. A fellow dutch men who also made great music in UT99.

I tried to play Half-Life 1 last year and it was awful. So tedious. It's aged about as well as... I dunno. Something that hasn't aged very well.

Like Thom Yorke from Radiohead?

I played Half Life for the first time a couple of years ago and it didn't feel old at all, besides the horrible models (and I was playing HL:Source...). I didn't think there was a single tedious moment in the game, to be honest, while for example HL2 could have been released without a couple of chapters.

Rufus

Spec ops ; the line is kinda overrated, playing it was quite tedious, just better off watching it on YouTube.
I feel like the
white phosphorous scene
takes center stage, too. Not that it would be better without it, but it seems to stick in your mind a whole lot more than this guy losing his shit.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I was pretty sure UT99 became free like 8 years ago, because my original copy would no longer ask for a serial number to be entered after being patched to the last patch.

I'm looking it up and it seems that it never went up as a free game.

I don't know what to make out of all of this.

Edit: I guess there's no authentication servers for it anymore?

MRORANGE

I was pretty sure UT99 became free like 8 years ago, because my original copy would no longer ask for a serial number to be entered after being patched to the last patch.

I'm looking it up and it seems that it never went up as a free game.

I don't know what to make out of all of this.

Edit: I guess there's no authentication servers for it anymore?

I never had to use a key for UT99 'shrugs,, I got the game in 2004 though.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Not 100% if this is the right thread, but I'm having trouble finding a fix for my issue. Two of my games, Binary Domain and Bastion, were updated. Both show that all the data has been downloaded, but it shows both downloads as Paused. When I try to play the game I get a "disk write error." Any idea what I can do to fix this?

enhIoSl.png

Shahadan

I just punched Cassandra in the face by accident in Deus Ex : HR. I'm laughing so hard I can't breathe.
Started the game today, people weren't kidding about it. I really like it.

Rufus

in braid are all puzzles solvable immediately or for some do you have to come back later

thx
There are hidden puzzles and there's a painting you slowly complete and which opens a way, too, but you don't have to hop between levels to progress.

I actually should get around to playing the first Unreal. Just realized that most of my experiences with it were in a demo at a computer store.

I will rectify this.

I played UT3 on a friend's house I liked it a lot, also I've never played 2k4 and I'm intrigued about the latter!

UT2k4 had a built-in music player. Dump your entire music collection or put Iron Maiden and start rocking away in assault mode riding a ship or something. Vehicle battles were ridiculously insane and hilarious. God, how I love UT2k4! So many maps, modes content, everything! And holy shit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xapRqH8c8FY

Instagib Mutator and this from UT99: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK-z7BjUNFc

Good times, good times!

UT2k4 had a built-in music player. Dump your entire music collection or put Iron Maiden and start rocking away in assault mode riding a ship or something. Vehicle battles were ridiculously insane and hilarious. God, how I love UT2k4! So many maps, modes content, everything! And holy shit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xapRqH8c8FY

Instagib Mutator and this from UT99: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK-z7BjUNFc

Good times, good times!

Holy Shitttttt!!!!!

Sold!

I didn't know that it had built-in music player, I assume that it doesn't work anymore!

Holy Shitttttt!!!!!

Sold!

I didn't know that it had built-in music player, I assume that it doesn't work anymore!

Hopefully it's still working, I mean it was there all the time, press F11 and it should pop, you can browse files ingame and all. Priceless.

Funny enough, the guy who developed the feature apparently never really used it, which is a damn shame because it was great to get "in the zone" and I pretty much cycled through my entire collection of metal thanks to it, heh.

But, yes, seriously, UT99/2k4 are just that great. Dozens of map, awesome announcer, fun bots to play with and (now that someone else echoed it) people are still playing them too! So much packed in there.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yea but name some, just curious.
Doom 2, Heretic, Hexen, Dark Forces, Shadow Warrior, Jedi Knight 1 & 2, Quake 1 & 2, Unreal, NOLF 1 & 2, FEAR, Shogo, AvP2, XIII, Call of Duty 1 & 2, Medal of Honor Frontline, Rainbow Six 3, Goldeneye, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Left 4 Dead 1 & 2, different kind of stuff like Descent 1 & 2, Deus Ex, Portal 1 & 2, Thief 1-3... Then you know there is some newer stuff that's kind of shitty but kind of fun, too. You know, the kind with the guns that you shoot and the guys die and its fun.

Sorry to be so spammy about Unreal Tournament, it's one of my favourite pack of games ever, I have the big retail box for UT, I still remember how much I hugged it after playing the glorious demo optimized for 3Dfx cards, lol. 3Dfx, anyone remembers?

So, if anyone needs more convincing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oE8heI-Ozc

Fucking TURBINE TIME! That map, the speed, the pew pew, flak cannon, shock rifle... Point of no return. Chats back then were: Insta Gib Mutator, Turbine, high volume. FIRE.

UT has such a great soundtrack. Also, fucking Xan.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
lol you listened to the actual UT music? it was nonstop juno reactor for me

Doom 2, Heretic, Hexen, Dark Forces, Shadow Warrior, Jedi Knight 1 & 2, Quake 1 & 2, Unreal, NOLF 1 & 2, FEAR, Shogo, AvP2, XIII, Call of Duty 1 & 2, Medal of Honor Frontline, Rainbow Six 3, Goldeneye, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Left 4 Dead 1 & 2, different kind of stuff like Descent 1 & 2, Deus Ex, Portal 1 & 2, Thief 1-3... Then you know there is some newer stuff that's kind of shitty but kind of fun, too. You know, the kind with the guns that you shoot and the guys die and its fun.

F yeah heretic.

Hopefully it's still working, I mean it was there all the time, press F11 and it should pop, you can browse files ingame and all. Priceless.

Funny enough, the guy who developed the feature apparently never really used it, which is a damn shame because it was great to get "in the zone" and I pretty much cycled through my entire collection of metal thanks to it, heh.

But, yes, seriously, UT99/2k4 are just that great. Dozens of map, awesome announcer, fun bots to play with and (now that someone else echoed it) people are still playing them too! So much packed in there.

Thank you very much bro, I really appreciate it :)

lol you listened to the actual UT music? it was nonstop juno reactor for me

Well, I switched to other music after a while but at first, yeah, all the way :p

Oh, man, Hexen, Heretic... I'll end up going back to re-buy all those at this rate.

What happened to that Doom look-a-like that was in the works? Was it finished or submitted to GL? I can't remember its name, argh.

Nice list of shooters.

I must say though, it is hard to see how half-life is a boring shitty game and half of those are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom