• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

That's getting into monolithic mega-thread territory, though. There is still enough going on Steam-wise to sustain its own thread, even if the rules and standards of the thread were much more explicit.

True, and GAF doesn't like that.

We could change the Thread to Steam Announcements and other PC related discussion.

Doesn't get it into mega-thread territory, but if people want to come in looking for other PC gaming information they can find it here. It really is already like that, but the name of the thread doesn't match the content.

Idk most of the stuff I read here is consistently relevant to Steam.
I agree for the most part.

I feel there are technical discussions scattered across some threads, hardware discussion in the I need a new pc thread and then game specific in ots or here. I like the way it is but if there is a way that most would feel is better I would love to try it.

HoosTrax

Idk most of the stuff I read here is consistently relevant to Steam.
Personally, my lines are drawn thus:

GoG, Origin, uPlay (the store) - not relevant to Steam
Amazon, GMG, GG - relevant to Steam
HIB, IR, other indie bundles - relevant if Steam keys given
hardware - relevant when it pertains to issues/ability to run Steam games (edit: when it's an older game that's on sale and doesn't have an active OT, otherwise, just use the OT)
hardware - not too relevant when it pertains to build advice

I don't think we've ever had a "situation", Tonygate aside, so I don't feel the status quo needs any changing. A bit OT or general PC talk from time to time isn't the end of the world.

Personally, my lines are drawn thus:

GoG, Origin, uPlay (the store) - not relevant to Steam
Amazon, GMG, GG - relevant to Steam
HIB, IR, other indie bundles - relevant if Steam keys given
hardware - relevant when it pertains to issues/ability to run Steam games (edit: when it's an older game that's on sale and doesn't have an active OT, otherwise, just use the OT)
hardware - not too relevant when it pertains to build advice

This is pretty much how I feel as well. If there's a deal on something, that redeems on Steam, it should/can be mentioned here. If no Steam keys, this probably isn't the place.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Batmobile DLC for Sleeping Dogs. Will definitely purchase. Do these things usually go live at a certain time?
Out now:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/216333/

ss_dd91251fb9deaee08f4ee143f1497c53e2ea2459.1920x1080.jpg

The Wheels of Fury Pack gives you full control of the ultimate prototype supercar to tear up Hong Kong - the DZS-90. Uncover the story of Dr. Tang’s secret prototype across 5 all-new missions - each time adding incredible upgrades to the vehicle. The DZS-90 in its final form includes twin, concealed roof-mounted machine guns, 4-wheel steering, an electronic magnetic pulse, boosted speed and armor, and new styling options to show it off.

MNC

I think I'm this close to pre-ordering Bioshock Infinite + a game on GreenmanGaming... What would be the best 'value' for the second, free game?

HoosTrax

I think I'm this close to pre-ordering Bioshock Infinite + a game on GreenmanGaming... What would be the best 'value' for the second, free game?
Darkness II and Spec Ops aren't bad games, but they're both very short (5 hours max each).
Bioshock 2 makes sense if you've never played it (but I assume you have, otherwise you wouldn't be ordering Infinite).
Civ V is good for hundreds of hours of gameplay, but don't you want the Gold edition instead? You'll be tempted to spend a lot on getting the DLC.
Mafia II is pretty meaty.

I've just spent the whole night downloading Brutal Legend. I put the PC on power save (turned off after 2 hours) when I left the house to go to work and it was on 95%. I've just got in now and it's back to 0%. I've looked in SteamApps for the actual game, .exe, etc. and there's just an installscript file in there, yet when I go on Steam it says that there's 8247mb on the drive and the game verifies. The Brutal Legend icon isn't greyed out or anything, and when I click on it, I'm told that Steam is 'updating Brutal Legend'.

I have recently moved my Steam library from an SSD to a HDD, but I seemed to have this problem even before that. Any help guys?

I'm probably mistaken, but...

This has happened to me a couple of times lately. In my case, it always happens when the computer is shut down without closing Steam properly (I have a weird problem: Every time I leave my computer on a whole night my 2GB ram gets almost full, and when I check out Steam or open Chrome the next morning Windows crashes and there's nothing I can do but restart).

While the files are in steamapps, if you try to redownload them before installing I think Steam just overwrites them with useless data to save the memory needed beforehand, so you've probably lost everything you had downloaded and you can't do anything about it.

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure if that's the case, and I don't know why Steam doesn't recognize the downloaded data. My theory is that Steam's new content delivery system works that way and probably lists somewhere the state of the download if you close Steam, so if it isn't closed properly Steam doesn't know what was completed and what wasn't and starts again.

If you notice it next time before trying to download it again, you might be able to copy the folder inside downloading elsewhere, select delete local content con Steam, move again the copied folder to downloading and start the download. This way, Steam will recognize the data you already have stored in your hard drive and will only download the remaining files, as it should.

Counter-Strike: Condition Zero's database entry was recently updated to include Linux support.

Football Manager 2014 was added to the registry.

Trials Evolution Gold Edition might be a Steamworks title.

Rufus

I don't think we've ever had a "situation", Tonygate aside, so I don't feel the status quo needs any changing. A bit OT or general PC talk from time to time isn't the end of the world.
It's vastly preferable to whatever e-dick measuring, compare account worth, backlog sizes, etc. cycles that used to plague these threads for a long time. "I see everyone's sharing their wishlist, might as w-..." NO. BAD.

It's vastly preferable to whatever e-dick measuring, compare account worth, backlog sizes, etc. cycles that used to plague these threads for a long time. "I see everyone's sharing their wishlist, might as w-..." NO. BAD.

Steam sales threads would beg to differ. End of every sale is riddled with that stuff.

< Guilty

Steam sales threads would beg to differ. End of every sale is riddled with that stuff.

< Guilty

Yup. I was lucky that thread whining wasn't yet a bannable offence during the Christmas sale because I was very close :lol

Grief.exe

I would've expect Trials to be a uplay exclusive.

Its a Microsoft published game on Xbox, and Microsoft Studios are starting to adopt Steamworks over GFWL.

Ubisoft favors Uplay.

Another point entirely here. I don't understand why Ubisoft doesn't go Steamworks and still offer their games from the Uplay client.

That way people could buy games from their store and either download them there or activate them on Steam. All for free, and they get 100% of the profit.

1-D_FTW

Its a Microsoft published game on Xbox, and Microsoft Studios are starting to adopt Steamworks over GFWL.

Ubisoft favors Uplay.

Another point entirely here. I don't understand why Ubisoft doesn't go Steamworks and still offer their games from the Uplay client.

That way people could buy games from their store and either download them there or activate them on Steam. All for free, and they get 100% of the profit.

That certainly would be the ideal. Probably feel it's still pushing people to Steam though. Either way, the beta made it abundantly clear it's a Uplay game.

Zia

Hotline Miami has now been added to the Mac library. Finally. Actual game isn't available for download yet.

I'm probably mistaken, but...

If you notice it next time before trying to download it again, you might be able to copy the folder inside downloading elsewhere, select delete local content con Steam, move again the copied folder to downloading and start the download. This way, Steam will recognize the data you already have stored in your hard drive and will only download the remaining files, as it should.

Interesting. Nice to know I'm not the only person it's happened to. Thanks.

kami_sama

I'm having problems with SD. I got a new card and installed the new drivers, but since then the game crashes at the star with a white screen. Any fix? :( I have an amd card.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
is Deus Ex Human Revolution better with a controller or M+KB? I'm about to play it again. Only played a short amount before when I got it on OnLive :lol
I preferred controller as I played 100% stealth and did very little shooting. I started a combat run with it and found it much harder because I had to aim lol.

No credit for my shot at the bottom? This hurts Chris.

I am looking for Tomb Raider or Bioshock Infinite.
Can offer an Adventure of Shuggy Key.

Anyone wanna have the key? Will give it to the first to quote me :)

Raxus

How long does it take for a pre-purchase bonus to fill.

I want to jump on the Bioshock Infinite pre-purchase but I would feel better if it was at 50% and had a good chance of unlocking the free XCom Enemy Unknown bonus.

MRORANGE

I want to jump on the Bioshock Infinite pre-purchase but I would feel better if it was at 50% and had a good chance of unlocking the free XCom Enemy Unknown bonus.

I am pretty sure it will unlock before release date, all of these pre-purchase bonuses have.

FloatOn

Banner Saga Factions is fucking incredible guys. I can't wait for the single player game even more now.

I think the achievements are bugged right now though.

Grief.exe

I'm going to go out on a limb and make a prediction that all tiers will never fail to unlock.

If you look at their business model for a system like that, one game fails to unlock all tiers and it will really hamper their pre orders.

I have a feeling the system is linear, or a time unlock anyways.

I thought the game was already F2P.

Its F2P, but no unlocks. Buy to level up, unlock new weapons, and cosmetics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom